GT5 in 3D

• Thread starter DC9990
  • 221 comments
For those who haven't seen it yet, Sony is really looking at expanding 3D for the gamers out there with this decent package. I think it will be a hit.

Let's first start about the 3D experience I enjoy with GT5 right now: It is just great and I don't think that I will play GT5 in 2D again. 👍

But it has taken me many frustrating hours (more than 6 I guess) to come to this conclusion. 'Folks on the Internet' had made it clear that GT5 takes some time to fine-tune its 3D settings and I was prepared for that when I bought my 3D-ready TV. It has been frustration galore. It was either nice 3D in the menu movies or during racing with cockpit view, or any other combination, but never with all. The amount of cross-talk was just cruel in some combinations.

Today I was about ready to give up on 3D with GT5 (other games have no issues and are magnificent in 3D, like Killzone 3 and motorstorm pacific rift 3D) and get back to 2D in full HD (1080p) for GT5, but something was missing.... I messed around a bit more and hit the sweet spot for my TV (which happens to be the 2011 award winning Philips 46pfl9706h). For me it is Parrallax at 6 and Convergence at 0.99.

With these settings I experience no cross-talk on any view, like bumper, cockpit, etc. unless I really look for it. Than there is some.

But all in all, as I started this post, I now love GT5 in 3D. I think cresting a hill on Eiger has never looked this good. :)

I´m still waiting for my beamer but when I imagine, I´m sitting behind my racing wheel, wearing some 3D glasses and playing on an 100 inch screen, I feel some kinda like a little loser or freak, hope no girl will se me ever when doing this ^^

I must say, I was quite impressed with GT5 in 3d.

I took advantage of the PS3 3D Display and a Slim for $150 in savings at Best Buy. I am deploying to Afghanistan soon and thought it would be a good setup with the small living space I will have over there and was looking to upgrade to a slim anyway.

I heard mixed feelings about GT5 in 3D but after trying it out, I was impressed at how more lifelike it was. The 3D effect is subtle with little to no ghosting. Try SS7 with weather on and it's like a whole new experience.

Hi denur n guys, thanks for posting pls keep this thread alive as I believe 3d really change the whole game! I really think most hate 3d because the display 3d is not top notch yet. Recently the optoma hd33 or hd300 projector launch which gives flawless 3d, even better than cinema ones. I believe this will enhance 3d gameplay. I saw some gt5 fanatics bought this projector. I hope he can post the review n I think it will be dam awesome 3d! Hope more bro can post the optimized setting for gt5 in 3d. Cheers!

just to be clear: I will keep playing gt5 in 3d as it's so much more fun and it gives essential information you don't get in 2d.
Just...wish one 3d setting in gt5 would be enough for all views and the intro-movies.

Why not give us a separate 3d setting for each view? I guess that would be easier to implement.

Keep Playing!!!(I am!)

I have a 52 inch Samsung LED and GT5 is the worse 3D I have ever seen in a game, so far. Even after tweaking settings.

My guess is that it was rushed in as an afterthought.

The best looking game 3D is in Motorstorm Apocalypse. But that's probably because the game suits it a lot more, with lots of things flying towards the screen (Rain, debris and such).

I have a 52 inch Samsung LED and GT5 is the worse 3D I have ever seen in a game, so far. Even after tweaking settings.

The best looking game 3D is in Motorstorm Apocalypse. But that's probably because the game suits it a lot more, with lots of things flying towards the screen (Rain, debris and such).

Play Uncharted 3... I´ve heared that the 3D is no more gimmick in this game, it is a whole new experience... Will try it soon...

About GT5 in 3D, as its always is, some people like it, some not... I bet it will look great with the right setting. Cant wait :)

My guess is it has to do with the settings you are using. It's stunning on my tv.

Nothing tops Uncharted 3 though.

I've been playing GT in 3D the past couple of months. One things for sure, No more GT in 2D ever.

GT doesn't have the best 3d graphics though. I wish PD would polish em up.

Im lucky enough to have a 50" panasonic gt30 and love gt5 in 3d but i still think it could with an update (Cmon pd u have updated everything else brilliantly.) if your looking for other 3d games then 2 of the best i've seen so far are batman gc and the new assassins creed imho.
Btw keep this thread alive!
Anyone looking for some clean gt5 3d racing action my psn id is deemckenna.

^ @kenny,

exactly what I was imagine and hoping. You can judge corners better and it feels more natural. Cant wait to get my 3D Beamer :)

I have seen an short onboard lap in 3D on the Nordschleife. That was so impressive! The curbs looked so real and plastic. You can judge the corners much better, was hoping for exactly the same effect with GT5.

does anyone know how to explain convergence and paralax numbers and how changing them changes the 3D experience ?

i got a vizio 3D set and I'm using
9 paralax
0.00 convergence

For those who haven't seen it yet, Sony is really looking at expanding 3D for the gamers out there with this decent package. I think it will be a hit.

I think simulview is cool feature. GT5, Killzone3 and few games only offer this right now. I might consider this something next year :confused:

Just get my Acer H5360BD today. What should I say? Just did quick 3D settings in GT5, something @80 and the other setting in the middle... Only with that, GT5 in 3D is totaly amazing for me :)

Cockpit cam with disabled HUD is so nice! I only sleeped 3 hrs tonight so I got to stop 3D after 20-30 mins because I get disorientated. But tomorrow I will give it a try and will play with wheel. Today just tested it with an pad and the Fiat 500 on the Nordschleife...

EDIT: Wipeout in HD looks also awesome! Tried killzone for 5 mins. but it´s too much action. That in 3D and I would go crazy... But looks impressive in 3D... And just watched shortly the Blu Ray Sharks 3D... Damn...

EDIT2: Photomode in 3D is mindblowing! I was 10 minutes shocked how amazing that looks! Only in 3D you can really realize how much much detail and work PD put in each car. On 90 inch, you really think that R8 stays in your room. You want to touch it :)

Last edited:
I posted this in the "Hidden or unannounced features in 2.02" thread, but it should belong here:

Something seems to have happened to the image quality that has a significant effect on 3D racing in GT5. Before this update, GT5 in 3D was so-so and not as good as some other games (like Motorstorm) and there was a clear difference between the best setting for bumper view and cockpit view (convergence setting being the most important). Now that difference has mostly gone and every track I have tried so for looks a lot better than before (in 3D). The ghosting seems to have gone almost entirely and trees look so much more lush on tracks like Spa and the Nord Schleife.

Can someone confirm this?

Right now I race with settings 6 and 1.00, in bumper view.

Denur
I posted this in the "Hidden or unannounced features in 2.02" thread, but it should belong here:

I haven't played in 3D since the update but I'm interested to see the difference. Do you feel like it is significantly better than before? I was pretty happy with it pre patch.

I thought i was just imagining this,it has been a while since id played in 3d,but yeah i have to totally agree.what make of tv have you got by the way?

Hi Denur and Dart,
thanks for sharing..this is so positive.. i can't wait for my 3d glasses to come to finally enjoy this game in 3d.. Many of my friends who not interested in racing game tried GT5 in 3d as it is the most popular sim racing game, and the reported that the 3d is very good... Now that u all said it is improved.. I really hope more folks can try it if have chance rather than dismissed it as gimicks...

Guys do post ur GT5 setting for refernce ok? Then when I get my glass i can try all the settings... Cheers. So Happy that PD make this great game in 3D!

I have to say that since I've gotten my new passive 3D set I had to make a decision whether to go back to full 1080p 60fps 2D game play or continue playing downgraded 720p 30ish fps game play. Once I got things adjusted I was very impressed, the 3D depth is that good, and I am totally fine with added jaggies and loss of fps. I don't even notice it anymore unless I look for it and the fps is just fine to me, it doesn't hinder my driving and I have improved my times. I feel like a better driver in 3D period and if I go back to 2D I remember what I noticed in 3D and employ it there. I can see breaking points better, apexes better, even get a better sense of torque steer and rotation of the car. Textures seem to be the same in passive 3D compared to full 1080p active shutter 3D, so the only visual downgrade I've noticed is the jagged edges assuming you pause the game to notice them. Sure I play in 2D once in a while like online or to see cars I'm buying in all their glory, but for serious offline driving it's mostly 3D for me from here on out.

Since the 2.02 patch the 3D effect looks amazing!

PD definitely changed something and didn't tell anyone in 3rd person (behind car) view the game feels alive, it appears to have a sense of speed now :) but the best way to view gt5 is not here

The view to play this game in 3D is most definitely cockpit view (zoom, not wide or extra zoom) with the hud completely disabled. Using this mode you have to use your senses to drive the cars which is really cool feeling when you perfectly get the braking spot on. I also feel like the camera is smoother allowing the driver eyes to not become overwhelmed by bumps in the track surface.

I will not be driving in GT5 any other way, 3D looks that cool! now if i only had a nice steering wheel I would sell the money pit RX7 in the driveway...

as for the people who need to take brakes, are you using passive or active glasses ?

I use active and have played up to 3 straight hours in 3D with no issues. I rarely get motion sickness though.

Edit: i just played in 3D for the first time since the update and I agree, the image looks better. I can pinpoint what it is exactly but it just seems cleaner. Great job PD.👍

Last edited:
I use active and have played up to 3 straight hours in 3D with no issues. I rarely get motion sickness though.

Edit: i just played in 3D for the first time since the update and I agree, the image looks better. I can pinpoint what it is exactly but it just seems cleaner. Great job PD.👍

Spent all last night changing rims on standards so I didn't get to race much in 3d since the update. Hopefully I will be able to later, since I've been busy as of late. Can't wait to see if I notice his too. :)

Back