GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 36,713 comments
You'll be surprised. I found that my progress slowed for a few reasons:

Pace, you have to start really finding a little more and what is generating that pace (lines, breaking etc but generally more measured)

Race craft in much much tighter grids where the general car control is better

Finally just some combos are de killers for me so I need to avoid them otherwise I'll lose all the progress made while not learning anything either.

Yeah I get that, the only times I sneaked into A as soon as a new week came, I’d settle right into high B 🤣

🤣🤣🤣 Couldn't understand how I managed to win by 26 seconds and then I watched the replay 🙈 All the bad eggs in 1 basket. Anyway, I am not going to complain

Attachments

• 20240707_144700.jpg
    20240707_144700.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240707_144642.jpg
    20240707_144642.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 4
So that's the end of this weeks racing.

On reflection WG was not as good as TM with the tuned cars.

It basically became a 1 make race with sweaty meta drivers (who can't qualify that car decently) treating C like the sprint it is.

In my other accounts it was a race that had 3 meta cars with the F40 being a fringe contender but it took a lot to get the best from that car. I disagree with digit on some of his car assessments but again opinions are like elbows.

B sucks my soul dry now just even the thought of QT makes me sigh. Clearly PD see something in the data or id harbour a guess LM as B and C with the credit multiplier shows they wanted to drive players to C this week as a test.

Didn't do A, did the QT though and super fun. Turn on DR and I'd have been all over that. Too PD, you make your own rods with these things. Forcing A race like it is you remove choice which I think is the intention but at the cost of enjoyment and progress.

I'd sum this week as mediocre again. Meta dominated races, no strat, rinse and repeat combos and an interesting car race that puts no skin in the game :/

Took an hour and a bit to finally break the 1:59 barrier in the NSX for Race C's QT... but now I'm too mentally drained to hop online and get murdered. 😅

full

full

edit:
When I first started the sport, daily races 3 months ago, I was trying to maintain 1,000,000 credits (buying cars and tuning) but I would see screen shots of players balanaces in the 30-50,000,000 range. I couldn’t understand how you could get that much.
I now understand it. I get credits for races but never spend them because all I do is use rentals and because of the BoP, I never tune.
Based on the Sport $$ fee though, you are basically buying those credits for actual cash.
giphy.webp

Last edited:
I had some free time before the C race this morning so I thought I’d take the Valkyrie out for a spin at The Glen… what a huge mistake that was. Turning laps at twice the speed completely wrecks your timing.

View attachment 1370733
So a top tip is to use a slower car with less grip.

You dial the lines and braking easier. Its something I actually do, take a road car round a daily circuit for 5-10 laps and then jump in to a race prepped car and the difference is massive.

If you find time mate you head of to the TT thread and let them help you get quicker. Some of the fastest guys in the game are there

You dial the lines and braking easier. Its something I actually do, take a road car round a daily circuit for 5-10 laps and then jump in to a race prepped car and the difference is massive.

If you find time mate you head of to the TT thread and let them help you get quicker. Some of the fastest guys in the game are there
Ya, rookie move. Normally I pre-race qualify with TCS off for practice and then my race setup feels very stable.

Thanks for the TT thread suggestion, I will do that.
Right now, the low hanging fruit is gone, my progress has slowed slightly, I need the help. I’m loading ghosts and watching a lot of my race replays, mainly the bad finishes. The replays are enlightening, I’m doing a lot of things that I don’t see while driving.

Brace yourselves for the NurbGP course next week, I usually do pretty bad there, but I gotta try something this week to get my DR and SR up. That's the goal.

Ya, rookie move. Normally I pre-race qualify with TCS off for practice and then my race setup feels very stable.

Thanks for the TT thread suggestion, I will do that.
Right now, the low hanging fruit is gone, my progress has slowed slightly, I need the help. I’m loading ghosts and watching a lot of my race replays, mainly the bad finishes. The replays are enlightening, I’m doing a lot of things that I don’t see while driving.
Something that helped me, was when watching the replays is to look at the why rather than what they were doing.

You need to get to a space where you can hit the same laptimes in a session.

I've posted a few videos of me following the top 10 ghost for my car. It's the ability to just replicate their braking and turn in. Ignore things like the bustop because that is alien stuff the speed they carry.

It helped me massively to just spend time trying to close the gap to them, understanding EACH corner, gear selection and then just how to brake. And 100% of the time it is never full braking, it's progressive braking to match the speed to the apex

I'm slow compared to the ghosts available but more than happy to share a ghost if you want something a bit more followable

Great advice Glen, I have been focusing on my mom and our health, so I can't abuse the game like I used to, spending 10-15 hours a day is not healthy IMO.

I really really want to a video explaining how to use the delta and to effectively use ghosts.

I'm not sure people want this sort of thing so haven't done it. It's not to be patronising or condescending purely help people get the most from some of the tools in the game and how to get the most from them.

I see so many people racing their own ghost with no offset and just think 🤷‍♂️

There are so many ways to go faster with ghosts.

Something that helped me, was when watching the replays is to look at the why rather than what they were doing.

You need to get to a space where you can hit the same laptimes in a session.

I've posted a few videos of me following the top 10 ghost for my car. It's the ability to just replicate their braking and turn in. Ignore things like the bustop because that is alien stuff the speed they carry.

It helped me massively to just spend time trying to close the gap to them, understanding EACH corner, gear selection and then just how to brake. And 100% of the time it is never full braking, it's progressive braking to match the speed to the apex

I'm slow compared to the ghosts available but more than happy to share a ghost if you want something a bit more followable
My lap times are extremely repeatable in both qualifying and races, I practice a lot. The problem that I find is that I’m practicing bad techniques (wrong gear, bad brake points etc).
The ghosts are a big help but watching a video of the cockpit that’s 2 seconds faster with gear selection, braking (when and how much), assist settings etc. is big for me.
A lot of the time, I’ll run the meta car just because there’s more reference material available.

I disagree with digit on some of his car assessments but again opinions are like elbows.

I couldn't finish that video! I maybe wrong but didn't he just say every car was "quite good, not great" in every characteristic? Until he got to the Mazda that is...

I'm still wondering why the Toyota isn't more highly ranked, given the pace I'm managing to squeeze out of it, I'm surprised more able players aren't able to do much better.

A week comes to a close and with it 4 victories for the Focus. The above lobby was once again absolutely nuts. I do owe an apology to Harley Davidson as you'll see in the replay I manage to clonk not once but twice so if you're seeing this, really sorry. Couple of the other passes were a bit door banging I seem to be quite aggressive this week. And I guess that's my second apology to all who have been on the receiving end of me.

Managed to get this nice win though. Thanks to some of the lobby regulars I've met this week, Mud, Nyrbro and Greg Ors. It's been a fun one.

Edit: can't forget Max Power either my bad.

Last edited:

I’ve started turning off abs and putting it on auto(sacrilege!), which forces me to find spots where you can find momentum on the track. Then put abs back to weak. Adjust braking points. Then to manual and put it all together. Not sure if it will make me faster, but the lines are dang pretty!

Ps: sorry i missed you guys. Rabbit holed on a wheel setting. Next time!

Yeah, watching the ghosts are a distraction for me, so 25% of the time, I use them. The other 75%, I watch useful guides on Youtube for each week.

@Rossell2 Nice, I haven't raced in a few days, I was on vacation in SC, I returned home last night.

Last edited:
I’ve started turning off abs and putting it on auto(sacrilege!), which forces me to find spots where you can find momentum on the track. Then put abs back to weak. Adjust braking points. Then to manual and put it all together. Not sure if it will make me faster, but the lines are dang pretty!

Ps: sorry i missed you guys. Rabbit holed on a wheel setting. Next time!
ABS off is super tricky, especially if you want pace!

I do it for fun but find it challenging to be very honest lots and lots of crashes 🤣

I don't have your VR though 😔

There will be other lobbies all for fun and practice, we missed having you...and when I say we....me and 9 other randomers who did multi lap practice and then races so fair play to those guys!

B sucks my soul dry now just even the thought of QT makes me sigh.
I've come to the conclusion I hate Group 3 cars... (I also hate Gr 1, 2 and road cars (except the Mazda Roadster, of course, everybody loves the Mazda).

Or I hate Group 3 cars with hard tyres at Laggo Full Course. Haven't fully decided. I think group 3 cars are too powerfull for me. I can't do them justice. Take this week at Laggo for instance.

For every lap I finished there were at least 19 (!) restarts... Laggo has no less than 7 (!) turns I'd spin or oversteer at some point (usually right away though) and 2 more I'd regularly get a penalty on (no... scratch that... not regular but only when I actually was doing a good lap) . It didn't take me very long to come to the conclusion I was probably best of not racing this one.

Sigh... On the odd occasion I actually did more than one lap, I knew from optimum my times should be better, but it was sooooo difficult to improve because I'd spin out once more... Each time I accidentaly did a good lap though, I improved up to half a second... and I should be able to do a 1:57,7ish... but I'm so tired... so frustrated... I gave up.

Next week is Interlagos Group 3... I have to give it a go. If I want continue doing Manufacturers there is no way getting around it. But after this week, I'm not looking particularly looking forward to it.

Last edited:
ABS off is super tricky, especially if you want pace!

I do it for fun but find it challenging to be very honest lots and lots of crashes 🤣

I don't have your VR though 😔

There will be other lobbies all for fun and practice, we missed having you...and when I say we....me and 9 other randomers who did multi lap practice and then races so fair play to those guys!
Yeah. Abs off is definitely only for solo practice. With auto on though, its helping find greater speed through the corners, and makes it easier to identify the various turn in points of a corner. Too much braking causing the instant slides, keeps ya honest. That and once you out it back on, everything, of course, feels loads easier. 😂 One of these days ill get a set of decent pedals..the csl’s with load cell are fine. I keep thinking the moment i order the v2’s.., fanatec releases some high end, full force enabled, pedal…the next day. 😝

Glad you boys had fun mucking around.

Yeah. Abs off is definitely only for solo practice. With auto on though, its helping find greater speed through the corners, and makes it easier to identify the various turn in points of a corner. Too much braking causing the instant slides, keeps ya honest. That and once you out it back on, everything, of course, feels loads easier. 😂 One of these days ill get a set of decent pedals..the csl’s with load cell are fine. I keep thinking the moment i order the v2’s.., fanatec releases some high end, full force enabled, pedal…the next day. 😝

Glad you boys had fun mucking around.
When I turn ABS off, my car spins out whenever I brake somewhere, why doesn't it work for me? I don't get it. Even when I have TCS set at 3-4 while having ABS off, it still does it.

When I turn ABS off, my car spins out whenever I brake somewhere, why doesn't it work for me? I don't get it. Even when I have TCS set at 3-4 while having ABS off, it still does it.
Because, its very, very, touchy. It might not be that great an exercise with a ps4 controller. Its about finding the point of slippage, then backing off just a little bit. On the hard braking corners. Also, when manual, use the gears. For max braking, downshift when the rev limiter will bounce for a second(or less). More bounce will cause a slide, less, isn’t as efficient. Lately, the first thing i do is hope in the car and squeeze the brakes until slide is induced. Then adjust brake bias to the direction the wheels didn’t slide until all four wheels generally stop together. (Use the replay). After that, its a matter of learning to stay calm, and be gentle. 👍

Remember, practice doesn’t make perfect. It makes you more efficient at whatever the heck your doing. Perfect practice makes perfect. So start slow and really try to observe the weight and forces of the car through the corner. Won’t make you faster today, but down the road it will train good muscle memory.

Also, no abs means much more braking distance. So account for that going in.

Well, that's me done for this week's races. Had a very good week by my own low standards 🤣🤣 To be fair the racing has been very fair apart from 1 or 2 over the 7 days so I can't really complain. Just topped it off with a very hard won race, probably the toughest I have had all week. Started 2nd and the bus stop claimed me on the first lap and i got shuffled back to 7th, managed to claw my way back but it was hard going this time 🙈Roll on tomorrow 👍👍

Attachments

• 20240707_231722.jpg
    20240707_231722.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240707_231638.jpg
    20240707_231638.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 5
Good week camping out in Race B here. Managed to keep SR S and fluctuated between B and C DR.

I am still struggling with setting a good qualifying time, often getting -1 second in the 4th and 5th laps of a race when clear of traffic. Best race time being a 1:58:7 with a 2:00:1 in Quali.

Averaged + 4 positions each race. Slow qualifying had me starting around 9-11th each race. Kept it clean the first lap and could pick people off as the races went on. 2 podiums. Still not picked up a win.

Second to last race was a cluster. So much so we saved the replay and watched on particular persons race. As leader they got taken out start of lap two, ended up right at the back. They smashed and bashed their way back to 4th. Each punt was deliberate but they never went off track from it. They’d used me as a brake then pushed me onto the gravel. Frustrating but funny.

Good week camping out in Race B here. Managed to keep SR S and fluctuated between B and C DR.

I am still struggling with setting a good qualifying time, often getting -1 second in the 4th and 5th laps of a race when clear of traffic. Best race time being a 1:58:7 with a 2:00:1 in Quali.

Averaged + 4 positions each race. Slow qualifying had me starting around 9-11th each race. Kept it clean the first lap and could pick people off as the races went on. 2 podiums. Still not picked up a win.

Second to last race was a cluster. So much so we saved the replay and watched on particular persons race. As leader they got taken out start of lap two, ended up right at the back. They smashed and bashed their way back to 4th. Each punt was deliberate but they never went off track from it. They’d used me as a brake then pushed me onto the gravel. Frustrating but funny.
Hey, what's up? I'm Chris. How good are your lap times? I didn't even bother with Maggiore that much this week. I didn't do any races at W.G. I missed a big opportunity to earn lots of cash, but I went on vacation Wednesday and came home Saturday night. I had to have a break though.

Well, it’s been a productive week at the Glen, I started the week with both accounts at the top of DR-D and I’m ending the week with both accounts in DR-B and 2 wins.

B lobbies (low B, I recognize some names from the C lobbies) are proving to be tough. I’m just trying for a top 5 and keep getting wrecked. The last one sent me to cocktail hour 🥃.

Lap 2 congestion 4 wide (yes, 4 wide) going up 7, just before the penalty area. I’m behind it, giving them room to shake it out. The car behind me blows through me, gets loose and sends me into the sand… now I’m #15…

But here’s the kicker, he already had a 3 second penalty before he hit me, he was gonna stop in another 50 yards 🤬🔫

I have only been at race B (Lago Maggiore) this week, and gone from mid C to lower B. I have been mildly shocked by the consistantly homogenous lobbys: It has been 100% C/S and 100% B/S all the way - no weird mixes. And that has been well reflected in the driving: All incidents have been skill issues and too much optimism. Zero of the hateful testosteron maliciousness that we all dread.
So a very good week for me.
Since my QT put me in the front half for the most, and my race pace was often not quite as good, I got to work on my defence skills, which was VERY much needed. (Writing this, I realize that driving solo in GT7 does not really give you any defence skills at all. It it always about catching up with the rabbit.)

Latest Posts

Back