GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 34,912 comments
I had my best result of the week in Race C yesterday. Jump in 22.30 race and started P10. Stayed away from trouble for the first lap. By lap 5 I caught on P5 and 4 battling together, that's when I decided to pit early instead of fighting them. Steady laptime in the 1.21 and no fight got me a nice 2nd place finish.

53850457415_ea8b1cae4e_z.jpg

What a difference a day makes.
At this time yesterday, I was ranked 11,105 at race B.
I was nearly certain that I wouldn't enter the race at all, because I was absolutely terrible at the NGP Gr.3 combo.

Currently I'm at 695.

Well, not only did I switch cars, but also realized that the tunes that aliens use for their cars, are not necessarily appropriate for me to use. My input methods couldn't be more different. I use a controller with A/T, TCS 3, CSA, and I push buttons for gas and brake.
I need the car to do some tings for me that the expert drivers don't need.
So I fiddled around, and found a good tune for me.

I guess if you're not good at a new combo, try some different things, before giving up on it.
Maybe it's not your abilities that are the problem. :)

Ooff. I don't have so much time to race as some on this forum do. Maybe 5 or 6 races in a week. 110 total up until now. Today I did my first race this week (NGP).

Started 9th, was 8th in lap 5 when I spun out. To top it off I also punted someone. I waited do him to pass me again and finished last. My SR went from full S to A...in one race wow. I'm now also 1 mediocre result away from being demoted to DR C. Alas.

In C lobbies I can win easily, but in B lobbies it's very hard from the back of the grid. But okay that's the same route everyone has to take of course.

Ooff. I don't have so much time to race as some on this forum do. Maybe 5 or 6 races in a week. 110 total up until now. Today I did my first race this week (NGP).

Started 9th, was 8th in lap 5 when I spun out. To top it off I also punted someone. I waited do him to pass me again and finished last. My SR went from full S to A...in one race wow. I'm now also 1 mediocre result away from being demoted to DR C. Alas.

In C lobbies I can win easily, but in B lobbies it's very hard from the back of the grid. But okay that's the same route everyone has to take of course.
Ditto, Its pretty funny when Im on that C-B border, one race P1, next race P14 🤬🤷🏼‍♂️

Alright I had time for one more race. I was ready to be kicked back to DR C. I got a lobby of 16 B / A racers and my starting position was 15th, ouch. By keeping my nose clean I managed to finish 8th. Meaning that for the first time in 4 weeks I actually gained some DR points instead of losing them. Race-wise I'm gonna call it a day on this moderate high. 😝

Alright I had time for one more race. I was ready to be kicked back to DR C. I got a lobby of 16 B / A racers and my starting position was 15th, ouch. By keeping my nose clean I managed to finish 8th. Meaning that for the first time in 4 weeks I actually gained some DR points instead of losing them. Race-wise I'm gonna call it a day on this moderate high. 😝
Nobody truly loves it but grinding TT to practice will pay massive dividends in your lobbies mate. That's the first step in getting better is prioritising pace and track knowledge over racing.

As you know I don't race Mondays as I spend them practicing to give me the best chance and knowledge. The more you know the track and the faster you can do it makes the race craft stuff easier to learn. You learn anticipation by knowing the corners coming up, you know the braking points so can avoid rear ending people.

Nothing beats track knowledge, then car knowledge and lastly racing and race craft.

Nobody truly loves it but grinding TT to practice will pay massive dividends in your lobbies mate. That's the first step in getting better is prioritising pace and track knowledge over racing.

As you know I don't race Mondays as I spend them practicing to give me the best chance and knowledge. The more you know the track and the faster you can do it makes the race craft stuff easier to learn. You learn anticipation by knowing the corners coming up, you know the braking points so can avoid rear ending people.

Nothing beats track knowledge, then car knowledge and lastly racing and race craft.
Thanks for the advice! I don't know if you mean the seperate time trial section (does it always match the daily races?), or that you mean the daily races qualifying.

As for the latter.. I always do at least 1 or 2 hours of quali laps (Monday is my day off and I use it for qualifying) before I even dare to attempt a race. Even so I can still massively improve my QT later in the week. Maybe in a slow learner.

During a race I get tense when other cars are close to me, and then I start driving very poorly because I don't want to hit someone. So learning race craft is only done by practicing races I guess.

Thanks for the advice! I don't know if you mean the seperate time trial section (does it always match the daily races?), or that you mean the daily races qualifying.

As for the latter.. I always do at least 1 or 2 hours of quali laps (Monday is my day off and I use it for qualifying) before I even dare to attempt a race. Even so I can still massively improve my QT later in the week. Maybe in a slow learner.

During a race I get tense when other cars are close to me, and then I start driving very poorly because I don't want to hit someone. So learning race craft is only done by practicing races I guess.
Yes just race QT before signing up.

I am going to guess you aren't using that time well.

You need to really start thinking beyond corner to corner for improvements. Start experimenting with braking earlier and more gentle or pumping the brakes, trying different lines.

Race craft is absolutely simple. Just be aware at all times. Know how to control your car and keep it on the proper line for the situation. Minimise all contact and practice defensive driving which is avoiding people or situations you can't control.

Advanced stuff like trail braking and showing a dummy etc can come way way later.

In C lobbies pace is king.

Edit: I'm not singling you out.

But generally people and I am one of them, love being at the sharp end, after enough races and learning you kinda get to a point where you are king of your lobbies and then realise that relative to the new lobby you are in there is a step change.

You go from being first to at the backend of the grid. This happens to me now....and the difference is the skill gap closes very very quickly and it's only practice that can help close that gap. No amount of just doing laps trying to brake later chasing a ghost will help you unless you start to understand what is making the ghosts fast. Gear selection? Braking technique? Line? Probably most of them.

But it's consistency and general pace that is the thing to strive for. Outside of the completion TTs you should be able to put laps in that are close. When you are consistent then you can start to push and that's when general race craft will improve.

Last edited:
So with some major help from Sturk, in the last few hours, at NGP, I was able to go from running 1.58.51 in the 911 and 1.58.52 in the R8 (Controller with A/T and TCS 1) after about 300 laps. To running a 1.57.0 in the AMG. (Controller with A/T and TCS 3) after about 10 laps. Would never have dreamed that kind of jump was possible.

Went from starting 9-14 to starting 3-6. Just a completely different experience.

But just goes to show that when you think you are running the best line and making use of the best car..... I am always wrong.

I LOVE this board!

The AMG seems a solid choice for this "daily" B.
I took this setup from the great @TyrannoCyrusRex channel wich suited me very well.

View attachment 1371669

By the way, I strongly recommend to follow his channel.
He is a class act, his videos are pretty clear and I think I have progressed a lot watching his lap guides.

What BB do you use with the AMG? Been hitting a wall on QT so trying to switch things up but I lose it so often trying to accelerate out of rotation on those sharp turns.

What BB do you use with the AMG? Been hitting a wall on QT so trying to switch things up but I lose it so often trying to accelerate out of rotation on those sharp turns.
Smoother throttle, or wait a fraction longer for the car to be pointing nearly straight. BB won't cure exit oversteer:

You can use less aggressive diff settings but it's the same nett result

Last edited:

You need to really start thinking beyond corner to corner for improvements. Start experimenting with braking earlier and more gentle or pumping the brakes, trying different lines.

Race craft is absolutely simple. Just be aware at all times. Know how to control your car and keep it on the proper line for the situation. Minimise all contact and practice defensive driving which is avoiding people or situations you can't control.

Advanced stuff like trail braking and showing a dummy etc can come way way later.

But generally people and I am one of them, love being at the sharp end, after enough races and learning you kinda get to a point where you are king of your lobbies and then realise that relative to the new lobby you are in there is a step change.

You go from being first to at the backend of the grid. This happens to me now....and the difference is the skill gap closes very very quickly and it's only practice that can help close that gap. No amount of just doing laps trying to brake later chasing a ghost will help you unless you start to understand what is making the ghosts fast. Gear selection? Braking technique? Line? Probably most of them.

But it's consistency and general pace that is the thing to strive for. Outside of the completion TTs you should be able to put laps in that are close. When you are consistent then you can start to push and that's when general race craft will improve.
My first race of the week, in this case Interlagos early Monday a.m. I race and really dont care where I qualify. I then save it and replay it from the P1 cockpit to learn his gears, speeds and braking points as well as what general QT to shoot for in the front of the grid.
The next day and a half I use to practice and, hopefully get a QT that well keep me out of the muck in the back of the grid.

Last edited:
..that 919 is an interesting beast. It wants to pop a wheelie so bad when that torque lays down. I know riding that line is where speed is.. but man, does it make me covet your v2/v3’s something fierce.
It's a beast! First run, I had doubt about me getting the hand of the car. Shifting from 2nd to 6th gear in less than 2 sec, braking at 50m board from 280 kph on main straight. Any small mistake on corner exit and the car in front disappear! Crazy

But just goes to show that when you think you are running the best line and making use of the best car..... I am always wrong.
This reminds me of last week at Watkins Glenn. The mazda was all over the ranking, but Meta cars are Meta for only a couple of aliens who can extract everything from a car. The Average Joe like me barely unlock that kind of performance. I found the car unstable under braking and easy to oversteer under throttle. the Lexus was easier to drive and my laptime were better. Lots of people race the mazda and they were all over the place.

No worries! As a racing newbie I'll take all the advice I can get.

My approach to daily races is this: I watch some track guides of known Youtubers to get an idea of their braking points and racing lines. Then I QT for 1 or 2 hours trying to optimize my time.

I think, after several months of racing, I don't have much problems finding and using brake markers anymore, as well as braking in a straight line, even in curvy sections. I have the tendency to brake late however. Still have to find the sweet spot between braking slightly earlier for better exits, but not so early that I'm losing time because of it.

What I still find difficult - and tips from people on this forum are very welcome - is to be consistent with turning in points. At what point should I turn in and how sharply, to hit the apex just right. I wander between turning in too early, and missing the apex completely.

And as an addition to this, because every subsequent lap I'm not on the same spot of tarmac every corner, I find it hard to decide on an acceleration marker. So sometimes I go too early, so I have to lift again and lose time. Sometimes I go too late which results in not using the whole track: 1 or 2 car widths left between myself and the curbing or track limits. So if people have any tips on becoming more consistent, that would be very welcome. Maybe I'll have to try driving slowly and improve from there, but I lack the patience. Mostly I just try to drive as fast as I can directly from the beginning, resetting myself constantly during QT because I constantly pickup track limit penalties or drive off the track. 😅

What I still find difficult - and tips from people on this forum are very welcome - is to be consistent with turning in points. At what point should I turn in and how sharply, to hit the apex just right. I wander between turning in too early, and missing the apex completely.
Join the crowd. 😛 Nobody masters this, we just (hopefully) get better.
And as an addition to this, because every subsequent lap I'm not on the same spot of tarmac every corner, I find it hard to decide on an acceleration marker. So sometimes I go too early, so I have to lift again and lose time. Sometimes I go too late which results in not using the whole track: 1 or 2 car widths left between myself and the curbing or track limits. So if people have any tips on becoming more consistent, that would be very welcome.
Again, join the crowd. 😂
Maybe I'll have to try driving slowly and improve from there, but I lack the patience.
I've never been able to do that, because I lack the patience also. But with that said, more often than not, I get my best times (initially, anyway) by just going around the track without trying to push anything.

Mostly I just try to drive as fast as I can directly from the beginning, resetting myself constantly during QT because I constantly pickup track limit penalties or drive off the track. 😅
Ditto.
My approach to daily races is this: I watch some track guides of known Youtubers to get an idea of their braking points and racing lines. Then I QT for 1 or 2 hours trying to optimize my time.
The only thing I'd add to that is this: I look at one of the leader's replay, and I record it. That way I can go back and look at it whenever I need to. I even chop it up into the relevant sections, but that's a topic for another time.

Sounds to me like you're doing just fine. I'm a mid-DR A racer, and I have no problem with using assists, especially with Gr.3 cars. I'll use TCS, ASM and CA. Whatever it takes.

Have fun!

Last edited:
I use BB+5 but this only helps with rotation while trailbraking.
As @newmedia_dev told you, brake balance doesnt help with oversteer.

Try to be smooth on the accelerator after turning and TC1 may help you (now its not so intrussive as it used to be some time ago).
I do qualy laps with no TC at all but for safety during race, with the AMG I use TC on 1.

I have said some nasty things about race A this week so decided to give it a fair shot last night to see if I was being overly harsh. Unfortunately not, the game only managed to find another players to get 8 cars on the grid, that was from A+ to D DR and a 50/50 split of PS4 and 5 players, that means only 8 people on the entire continent were willing to play.

Of the 8 who were there 2 of us had cars fast enough to win (I used @MOPARbarrett5 's tune), 1 had a engine swap but not a great tune so was a distant 3rd and the other 5 were a mixture of tuned cars with the original engine, totally stock and early quitters. I and the winner had a decent race but I can't imagine any of the others had much fun. One asked how to tune his car to match the faster players but I doubt being told he was out of luck until he hit level 50 was the answer he was looking for. This is the worst daily race PD have ever put out.

Well I'm gonna be busy this weekend, I have to get my DR/SR up, I've had so much going on with my family/life that I neglected the daily races this past 2 weeks. So I need to ask some questions to whoever reads this.

#1- For Race A, what engine should I swap for the Jimny. What car options do we have? I've only been able to get my Jimny's PP at 407. So there's still 13 points missing.
#2- How many races would I have to do to get my rank up to a B-C? Depending on what placements I finish in.

#3-For Race B, what is the best car to use, I tried the AMG, Porsche RSR, Mustang Gr.3, and the McLaren one and none of them got me a time under 2 minutes. I have the TCS set at 1, it's hard getting the car to be stable during each corner,turn and obstacle here, so getting a time between 1'57.000-1'58.000 won't be a walk in the park for me.

Well I'm gonna be busy this weekend, I have to get my DR/SR up, I've had so much going on with my family/life that I neglected the daily races this past 2 weeks. So I need to ask some questions to whoever reads this.

#1- For Race A, what engine should I swap for the Jimny. What car options do we have? I've only been able to get my Jimny's PP at 407. So there's still 13 points missing.
#2- How many races would I have to do to get my rank up to a B-C? Depending on what placements I finish in.

#3-For Race B, what is the best car to use, I tried the AMG, Porsche RSR, Mustang Gr.3, and the McLaren one and none of them got me a time under 2 minutes. I have the TCS set at 1, it's hard getting the car to be stable during each corner,turn and obstacle here, so getting a time between 1'57.000-1'58.000 won't be a walk in the park for me.
Race A this week, and most weeks, does not contribute to your DR win or lose, only SR. This is noted above the race selection screen.

For race B, there is no perfect answer. You've just got to find what works best for you and then practice until you reach your optimal time and then practice some more.

If you look at the top 100 there is a wide mix of cars being used and that's usually a good place to start. Unless your a masochist and find yourself using the Renault all the time like I do for some dumb reason.

Ok, thank you. I'll just have to look on the board and see what car the top 500 drivers have used and I'll use that same car and give it a go. Wish me luck and positive vibes out there. The key to getting a low time is practice, hard focus, and plenty of sleep so I can be alert and awake while doing this.

I have said some nasty things about race A this week so decided to give it a fair shot last night to see if I was being overly harsh. Unfortunately not, the game only managed to find another players to get 8 cars on the grid, that was from A+ to D DR and a 50/50 split of PS4 and 5 players, that means only 8 people on the entire continent were willing to play.

Of the 8 who were there 2 of us had cars fast enough to win (I used @MOPARbarrett5 's tune), 1 had a engine swap but not a great tune so was a distant 3rd and the other 5 were a mixture of tuned cars with the original engine, totally stock and early quitters. I and the winner had a decent race but I can't imagine any of the others had much fun. One asked how to tune his car to match the faster players but I doubt being told he was out of luck until he hit level 50 was the answer he was looking for. This is the worst daily race PD have ever put out.

I've run a few of these race As, and there are usually 11 players in each race, for some reason - as with you, ratings from A+ to D, with only 2 or 3 with a car fast enough to win

For Race A, what engine should I swap for the Jimny

You can only use the Suzuki Swift engine as a swap

Back