GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 36,331 comments
See you all next week, or maybe never again. I'll still post updates for GranTracker, but I think PD has just knifed my heart for the last time.

Anyone want a thousand dollars worth of racing gear? (Just kidding - for now at least.)
You could go the VR route. It has totally transformed GT7 for me and starting over it is like a new game.
Whole world of more customisable and varied simulators on PC if you want it.
Also with the PC adapter now, I have started to test out PC racing in VR. So far I have only tried Automobolista2 which is much more hard core and a little confusing at first but a nice alternative selection of tracks and cars and frankly the Porsches I've been in are as detailed, if not better looking, than those in GT7 in VR.
In all the races more than 1/2 to 3/4 of the lobby quit the race before the end.This is how I have been gaining places.

So in conclusion I am making DR by not racing anyone, not finishing a race and not really having any fun.
Does seem like a good way to gain DR if that is your goal apart from the fact that you only gain at a rate of one race per hour so from a DR mining incentive it may not be as lucrative as say race B. Of course, if you are gaining every race then still potentially worth it. I just wish the DR points had a multiplier for race length so you're get a similar per/hour points changes irrespective of race.

It seems like a self inflicted issue on PD tbh. 3 daily races might've been fine when GT Sport just launched and it had like 20 tracks and a hundred cars, it makes no sense that with x3-x4 the content they're still having the same limits.

Personally I'm pretty firmly in the "Gr3/Gr4 are just a snooze" camp now which is why I haven't done Sport mode in ages (tbf don't have Plus either so would have to subscribe specifically for GT7), but there's no reason why these two series can't be just permanent fixtures on top of other series like how iRacing or Forza Motorsport handle it. With how they've set things up if they want to have original races it has to come at the cost of Gr3 or Gr4 which a lot of people will naturally dislike.
The issue is player numbers.

Let's take daily B averages around 60k most weeks of people setting QT times.

Then you split that by the 3 different match making regions

For arguements sake let's go:

AO 15k
NA/CA 15k
EU 30k

You then have to sub divide that by the player DR groups.

Then considering that the remaining are not all online at the same time and that not everyone who QT'd is actually doing races you end up with quite a small pool of players and it's why you get to know the names of a lot of the players (good and bad ones)

If you add more race lobby hoppers you run the risk of splitting that number even smaller.

I think we would all love more diversity in the racing available I just don't think it's realistically practical.

Two consecutive weeks with 'interesting' Race C's...

Is the player base split so evenly that we're seeing similar backlash that these races are too out-there as we often do when people complain about the constant Group 3/4 rotation?

I'm sure there's been plenty of demand for dynamic weather/endurance/strategic races??

Am I going mad? Is this pain and simple illustration that we'll never agree on what makes us happy, and that perhaps we should instead be praising PD for offering us the variety of gameplay necessary to keep such a broad community satisfied?
I think these last two weeks are a bit different to normal, in that last week got almost universal condemnation from the content creators so it's possible they've pivoted to keep them happy. The normal minor grievances are one thing that don't bother them that much, but when Super GT puts out a video saying "GT sucks this week" that gets 250k views I can see why they'd want to make sure that kind of negative PR doesn't spiral.

The lesson should be that when they take races from GTWS, they should actually change it to fit the daily structure instead of leaving an eight minute race in a 30-minute slot, that's the root cause here. Well, that and breaking force feedback on the RA272, that didn't help.

Could just be on my end but seems they removed daily C before I even got a chance to play it :(
IMG_6406.jpeg

It's because people were quitting half way through to join another session even in Rory's and Kies lobbies :(
Yea, but so what? 9/10 someone quits because they're caught out on the wrong tire on the longest of tracks. to which I can't blame them.

Plus, now it just takes the ability for some to do a race when otherwise they can't. Ie, I could log on and do a race at 16:30 as I have somewhere to be at 17:30 but now I can't since the race won't start until 17:00. Just looking at Digit's stream, for example, even with races starting every 30 mins the lobbies are full A+ (meaning, it's not like there is a lack of player-base that would push a non-overlapping race start time vs race length time).

Last edited:
I understand that, and don't agree with them changing it. But it's prime time A+ in the EU and that's pretty much the majority of them racing I'd imagine.

But to play a little bit of devils advocate....stacked lobbies of A+ drivers should read the race requirements....other wise they have been amazingly lucky to make it to A+ in the first place.

It's because people were quitting half way through to join another session even in Rory's and Kies lobbies :(
Well that didn't take long. Sometimes it sucks to be on in the US time zones.

I mis read that this was reduced to 3 laps. If it is still 6 laps but on the hour, I'll try it the once but I'm not good at Nordscheifer and then add rain... 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
But to play a little bit of devils advocate....stacked lobbies of A+ drivers should read the race requirements....other wise they have been amazingly lucky to make it to A+ in the first place.
In fairness, it's often a mid race judgement call on whether or not to pit for IM/W tires or stay out on slicks. Sometimes, one makes the wrong call and ends up 12 miles from the pits, while on slicks, in the pouring rain. Like, you couldn't even get back there if you wanted to at that point. So I can't blame someone for bailing and going to the next slot that's coming up.

I am not top split by any means, but the N24 race during GTWS and dynamic weather some months back, my lobby was all A+ and it happened to a lot of people.

22a9aefb3f96472e2bc2fe46357ccd4f_photo.webp

Daily is a little different, but it'd be nice if you get caught out on the wrong tire due to misjudging the weather on lap two essentially ending your race, that you don't have to wait 45 mins for the next race start.

Or, maybe someone wants to do some quali laps but not an hour's worth.

I'll go yell at the clouds now. lol

Last edited:
I was originally going to do the Samba Bus Daily Race but sadly I don't have a personal Samba Bus of my own as two of my Samba Buses had an engine swap on but given that Race B is on a track that gets rarely used outside of Race A, I figured I give it a go instead and it was such a good decision on my part.

I had a look first on the Gr.4s being used then I saw some folks maining the GR Supra and I was intrigued by it because I always wanted to main the GR Supra for once in a Gr.4 race and it seemed that this is the right time to do so. Only did three sessions today because I had to work on my quali time and as of now I managed to get my time to a 1:12.5.

First session - Pole position and really nothing much to write about as I managed to win this one easily as my nearest rival didn't gave me much of a problem. Will say I like how varied the grid looks but this is only the first day so yeah.

Gran Turismo® 7_20240812164047.png

Second session - Started P2 and things were closer this time around as the NSX and 458 Gr.4 drivers gave me a good time. I managed to get the lead by lap 3 as the 458 driver went too deep on the penultimate corner thus causing him to hit the barrier and took the advantage from there. Was able to get another win and its at this point I'm convinced that the Supra is viable on this track.

Gran Turismo® 7_20240812170053.png

Third session - Oh man this got a little oofy at the end. Started on pole and with me is a fellow GR Supra user and he really pushed me to my limits and we were trading places until the last lap where I had my defense game on until he screwed up on the infield entry corner and from there I was able to win. Originally the Jaguar F Type Gr.4 user finished P2 after he took P2 from the fellow GR Supra user but then he disappeared just as when everybody is cooling down and as a result the fellow GR Supra user was gifted P2 and P3 for the Huracan user.

Gran Turismo® 7_20240812180114.png

Maybe hanging out on Race B for the week is a good idea after all. Once the Samba Bus is on the UCD rotation I'll try to cover that race. I know I can loan a Samba Bus but I wanted to run one with a livery so I'm willing to wait.

The issue is player numbers.

Let's take daily B averages around 60k most weeks of people setting QT times.

Then you split that by the 3 different match making regions

For arguements sake let's go:

AO 15k
NA/CA 15k
EU 30k

You then have to sub divide that by the player DR groups.

Then considering that the remaining are not all online at the same time and that not everyone who QT'd is actually doing races you end up with quite a small pool of players and it's why you get to know the names of a lot of the players (good and bad ones)

If you add more race lobby hoppers you run the risk of splitting that number even smaller.

I think we would all love more diversity in the racing available I just don't think it's realistically practical.
Ideally we would have the number of concurrent players of the Sport mode to make a more like-for-like comparison, but GT7 shouldn't struggle with it. For comparison, iRacing while I was playing on Saturday had 11k concurrent players, which isn't a particularly big number during the weekend for a game in general (FH5 on Steam alone has 13k on a Monday morning right now), let alone a game regularly hanging on the top 20 sellers like GT7 is.

Even then, the way to solve the problem if it were to arise is changing how frequently races are run. Going back to iRacing, popular series run hourly (some alternating between fixed and open setups), while less popular ones can be run every 2 hours, and others have fixed schedules throughout the week. That's also while having dozens of series, with lots of them being locked behind quite a hefty wall of paid content, which GT7 doesn't need to do.

It's quite bizarre that if you wanna race open wheelers online on GT7 there's no other option than waiting until they feature the Super Formula once every few months or the Honda F1 once every blue moon. Even touring cars, if you want anything lower power than Gr4 you're basically out of luck since in the off chance they put some fun car on Daily A it doesn't count for the ratings, and Gr2/Gr1 are not run that frequently either.

Yes. 6 laps! It is gonna be such a hell to complete. Eagerly looking forward to it.

Is there any car which can complete 6 dry laps of the green hell without refueling and on automatic? This track is too taxing on my concentration so I can't really use manual here.

Edit: Never mind. Just saw Digit's stream. It is not doable even on manual. :lol:

Edit 2: Digit even swapped for new hards (completely dry race).
well, you don't need to refuel if you are crawling along doing ten minute laps..... on Wets(!). It didn;t help that we misjudged the speed of the rain and got caught out on slicks.

Good to see you again!

I ran some sophy races last night with the M6 and it felt good. Took it out in the rain and it tried to kill me around every corner (literally). Won't do that again. I know the audi has been nerfed a bit, but last time we had a race like this, I was much more comfortable and competent. Or maybe try the good ol' porsche. But first a few laps on a custom race with some rain might benefit me before I do that again. And then, of course, I will get a dry race!

It was miserable, but I stuck it out to the bitter end. And I'll give it a few more tries, because I hate everything. Are they running lobbies on the half hour? That will just make even more people quit midway, it is a shame and a bit demoralizing.

Edit; never mind, just caught up and see they are running hourly now.

Last edited:
But we aren't comparing apples to apples here.

IRacing has a much higher barrier to entry both cost and learning curve.

It is purely an online competitive focused racing game.

GT is played by a wide spectrum of players for multitudes of reasons.

Here are some average player numbers across A/B/C these are NOT DR bucketed or region bucketed.

Another thing to note is that a good percentage of sports mode players will set times and possible race in at least 2 of the events.

IMG_0990.png

IMG_0991.png

IMG_0992.png

Add in time of day and you can see a picture emerge in that player numbers are relatively stable and not growing inline with sales of the game.

Last edited:
I have been a total idiot in three races today. I did only three races but it felt like I did 10.

1. First race- I knew that I should have swapped for wets after first lap. I did not do it. Why? Maybe I felt like doing a Ferrari strategy today.
2. Second race- it was similar to first race. Again, I did not pit on time and I suffered along with @icycls who was probably new and hence did not know that the weather speed here is faster than at 20-lap Spa and 24-lap Fuji.
3. Third race- I pit this time. And I was doing really good. Then bam, my controller's steering stalk went kaput. I kept crashing a few times per lap. Why I am an idiot here? Because I had seen signs that my controller's steering stalk was going bad, just like the my first controller. I kill them by pressing hard while steering towards right. I should have bought a new controller instead of doing the mighty Nordschleife in rain on a controller with damaged steering stalk. :dunce:

On the upside, I will probably splurge on a DualSense Edge today. It might help me in finally shifting manual gears full-time. I am still not going to the dark side of sim rigs yet. I need a new controller today because this week is one-hour of green hell! :D

I have been a total idiot in three races today. I did only three races but it felt like I did 10.

1. First race- I knew that I should have swapped for wets after first lap. I did not do it. Why? Maybe I felt like doing a Ferrari strategy today.
2. Second race- it was similar to first race. Again, I did not pit on time and I suffered along with @icycls who was probably new and hence did not know that the weather speed here is faster than at 20-lap Spa and 24-lap Fuji.
3. Third race- I pit this time. And I was doing really good. Then bam, my controller's steering stalk went kaput. I kept crashing a few times per lap. Why I am an idiot here? Because I had seen signs that my controller's steering stalk was going bad, just like the my first controller. I kill them by pressing hard while steering towards right. I should have bought a new controller instead of doing the mighty Nordschleife in rain on a controller with damaged steering stalk. :dunce:

On the upside, I will probably splurge on a DualSense Edge today. It might help me in finally shifting manual gears full-time. I am still not going to the dark side of sim rigs yet. I need a new controller today because this week is one-hour of green hell! :D
stick drift? Been there, man it stinks!!!

I can definitely speak for the edge, expensive, so don't use any needed lunch money, but really good for manual. And, did you know.... the sticks are a $20 replaceable module, so stick drift doesn't cost you a new controller.

stick drift?
I used to think that it is stick drift but it is something else. Happens only when I steer right. That’s when it will sometimes either not fully steer, or even suddenly steer left instead. Happens only when playing GT7 (since I apply pressure while steering right). Never happened even once in Wreckfest or DiRT Rally (where I don’t apply pressure because I have to steer gently in those games to avoid oversteering into a spin).

It never drifts on its own.

Anyway, looking forward to using manual and upping my game. :D

Hearing they've changed the entry times to every 60 mins rather than 30. If so, that sucks!
I hope PD doesn’t find out that depending on how slow the race winner is, it is easy to miss the next slot even with 1 hour interval. We don’t need 1:30 hour intervals, lol.

Last edited:
Has anyone raced at Blue Moon yet? Having some serious jitters about being nailed at Turn 1 especially at the start... Don't feel like crying for the remaining 5.8 laps lol as I rage from the back with damage 😂 😅

Put in some laps with the G70 and came close to the times by @newmedia_dev and @Nebuc72 but I must admit, I cowarded into trying the meta... Went well though and I know I have more time to shave off...

1723480619882.jpeg
1723480626235.jpeg

I cant wait to finish my shift to torture myself on green hell.
I know exactly what it will be. A love/hate feeling that I know very well :lol:

In this kind of endurance races, we (the VR users) have some major disadvantages.
The gaps are really needed here to have a clue of compounds and cars pitting.
The other problem that we have, is not having a clear yellow flag signal on screen. We only see them on the marshalls and sometimes its too late and penaltys may occur (ask me how I know)

Here's the guide for those interested! Race A I'm so confused over... but Race B is one of my all time favourite tracks and Race C has dynamic weather!

Enjoy!

No worries about the bump, it's my fault anyway, timing the exit wrong and lifting when I should be flat out.

Well guys, I did some qualification laps at BMB and it is a pleasant drive and comfortable experience. I need to try to get a sub 1'15.000 or 1'16.000. What cars are you all using? The Huracan gave me my PB.Iguess I'll have to persevere and watch some guides and maybe use a few ghosts that are within my time range.

I'm afraid to try the C races because what if my connection gets disconnected on Lap 5 and that's a long haul doing 6 full laps of Green Hell. Idk, we'll see how I feel. We may not get this opportunity again for a long time. The color bars next to the driver's name indicates it's signal strength.

Red: Weak
Yellow: Neutral
Green: Strong

Has anyone raced at Blue Moon yet? Having some serious jitters about being nailed at Turn 1 especially at the start... Don't feel like crying for the remaining 5.8 laps lol as I rage from the back with damage 😂 😅

Put in some laps with the G70 and came close to the times by @newmedia_dev and @Nebuc72 but I must admit, I cowarded into trying the meta... Went well though and I know I have more time to shave off...

View attachment 1380408 View attachment 1380409

Going meta this early...its a sign of weakness @TechnoIsLove a sign of weakness.

I'll move to the meta later in the week but I'm quite liking the the little Honda thing 😉

It's always the same: the slower the car, the...

View attachment 1380417
Who is that Leo Senna Bull guy, he used to be in the top 10 a lot in the old GT sport daily races. He must be a super-alien because I see him in the top 50-100 most of the time which is superb driving, unlike us normal humans. The samba bus drives too slow, so it will be three sluggish laps each time at RA.

I'll just have to cope with it, it isn't as bad as that Jimny tuned race at Alsace we had a few weeks ago, that was horrendous.

My excitement took a hit… Only 7 guys finished the race, low A/S lobby.

It was raining from lap 2 until end of lap 4 and then getting a bit dry. Some guys did even quit in lap 1!? That makes no sense at all.
Overall it was still fun, I had some battles, ended P4. I took the BMW, in the rain I lost two positions and lots of time. Maybe I try an MR car, just not sure which one

Latest Posts

Back