GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 36,186 comments
Then I hopped into the R8.... šŸ˜ In terms of lap time, I did shave off a few tenths and brought my time down to 1:51:9 but more than that, I feel like I really can control it over the entire lap!
Thank you for the R8 recommendation. Iā€™ve been jumping between different cars, and with the R8 now; Iā€™m in love with that car ā¤ļø. I put a brake bias to -4 (to the front) and with that itā€™s super good through the corners and Itā€™s got the speed on the straight. Itā€™s a good all round car.

I drop my time down to the 1:53s, which for me being in VR and not chasing a rabbit is pretty good - as Iā€™m still getting used to this.

Which leads me to a fun fact with my races now. Before I could set good QT times, but I would have real trouble racing into that time particularly if I was in the lead. My racing was usually a case of race management trying to avoid dropping back as much as possible. If I had a fast driver in front of me that I could tail, then I was happy, but if I didnā€™t have that rabbit to chase, I was in trouble

With the new races Iā€™m only QTing to my natural ability with no rabbit. That means my race performance is now comparable to where I qualify on the grid and with that Iā€™m actually having much better races. For anybody doing racing Iā€™d highly recommend you get into the habit of not chasing rabbits or ghost anymore.

After getting my DR up to mid-high A, last week saw me free fall back to low A and the first couple of races at Bathurst saw me back to B. Was a nice change to start at the front and soon I was back in A. I must admit this week has been good to me. Bathurst, GR3 and I seem to gel well, in spite of the occasional disaster. I have found the Corvette to be a weapon around here. Powers out of the low speed corners and out accelerates the Supra till mid 6th gear, meaning I was pulling away from them out of turn 1 and they couldnā€™t catch up enough by the end to make move unless they got a good tow, could also pass them down the straights. I found it less sketchy on the limit, and at Bathurst, damage limitation is half the game. A QT of 2:02.9 would start me anywhere from 4-9 in A+\A lobbies but not crashing and running 2:03-2:04 consistent laps meant I more often then not could manage a top 5 finish and so I have rebuilt my DR back to mid A. Will miss the combo until it comes back.

P
This race plummeted my SR by over 50% which surprised me. I think it was mostly because I crashed myself out but that doesn't seem right? Is hitting the barrier a cause for major SR loss? There was one tap with another car I am aware of but nothing that hasn't resulted in CRB in other races so not sure on this one. Perhaps the update is overly aggressive with barrier taps now? What do you think?

Woah, you are certainly out cubbing seals with that performance.

As it's a black box magic circle kind of secrecy around SR for some reason šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

But it feels like they have a weighting applied to how the game thinks someone should do. So if you don't hit that target for clean overtakes, avoiding bumps etc it feels like it's multiplied.

IE the game expects you to perform in a certain way based on previous performance. If you miss that expectation it hammers your SR.

Conversely to your experience I've had 2 recent races where I rear ended 2 people got 2 seconds pens each time, let the back through or waited and my SR bar barely moved from the top of S.

On my alt account, I went from S to Low A in 3 races....but I blame that on the šŸŗšŸ·

šŸ¤£

I think you're right - I've always said I'm slow but steady, which is why I tend to go well at tracks where people tend to fall off by pushing too hard, eg Mount Panorama, Brands, Suzuka.

Perhaps I ought to try pushing the car's limits more?
Do it if you feel comfortable doing so, donā€™t want to ruin what got you to your level.

But QT is only a means to an end for me, for the racing start position,

Iā€™m back in BB now so getting there

Sorry to be a pain but does anyone know if suzuka is Gr3 or Gr4 this week coming??
It depends if they are still trying to balance something in Gr3 or not as we had mid and high speed BoP tracks.

My guess is probably Gr4 but with C being on CS tires there is a possibility it's GR2/4 for B.

I haven't looked but usually Gr4 uses race hards for Suzuka when there isn't a pit stop?

It depends if they are still trying to balance something in Gr3 or not as we had mid and high speed BoP tracks.

My guess is probably Gr4 but with C being on CS tires there is a possibility it's GR2/4 for B.

I haven't looked but usually Gr4 uses race hards for Suzuka when there isn't a pit stop?
Makes sense, I did see a good few lobbies running Gr4 but I said I would ask anyway šŸ‘šŸ‘

Sorry to be a pain but does anyone know if suzuka is Gr3 or Gr4 this week coming??
Idk, my guess is that they will use Gr. 4 cars since they used the Gr. 3 cars this week for the B and C slots. But, I could be wrong. We will not know until tomorrow morning.

Hey Glen, did you go to your party yet?
@newmedia_dev

Last edited:
The review that nobody asked for.

Glens opinion on the physics...

8.5/10

Where to start?

I think they took us all a bit by surprise. Dynamically the cars felt a lot different and in odd ways, more rear grip, more weight transfer and more focus than ever on braking.

They also coupled this with chassis geometry changes again making the cars feel like they had more mass.

Everyone's journey and mileage varies on these things and I think the road cars feel better for the changes in grip/traction and body inertia.

The race cars are a bit hit and miss in that I'd expect GR3/4 cars to have much firmer rides. I have a theory that the body movement was part of improving a VR players sense of lateral and dive G forces.

Overall I don't think the physics are better or worse just a shake up of the characteristics in car handling they had.

From a racing perspective slides are much easier to catch but the flip side is you have to do it much quicker than before. Catching slides with power is a lot harder now.

Anyway this is my hung over 2p thoughts

Edit: @Chris30 I did thank you it was a great celebration for my mother in law and I had way to much to drink šŸ˜

Last edited:
Sometimes I feel like I need some alcohol to get my stress away from some of these intense races at Trial Mountain. I don't want to overdo it and do too many of them, I am at a high-C so I'm trying to protect my rank from dropping down. I agree Glen, the rides do feel firmer and more stable IMO. Idk about the rest of you, but I think PD and their staff upped their game on this.

I haven't even messed with Bathhurst this week, I'm not really a fan of the whole course. So, I'm skipping the races there.

Last edited:
The review that nobody asked for.

Glens opinion on the physics...

8.5/10

Where to start?

I think they took us all a bit by surprise. Dynamically the cars felt a lot different and in odd ways, more rear grip, more weight transfer and more focus than ever on braking.

They also coupled this with chassis geometry changes again making the cars feel like they had more mass.

Everyone's journey and mileage varies on these things and I think the road cars feel better for the changes in grip/traction and body inertia.

The race cars are a bit hit and miss in that I'd expect GR3/4 cars to have much firmer rides. I have a theory that the body movement was part of improving a VR players sense of lateral and dive G forces.

Overall I don't think the physics are better or worse just a shake up of the characteristics in car handling they had.

From a racing perspective slides are much easier to catch but the flip side is you have to do it much quicker than before. Catching slides with power is a lot harder now.

Anyway this is my hung over 2p thoughts

Edit: @Chris30 I did thank you it was a great celebration for my mother in law and I had way to much to drink šŸ˜
I'm really enjoying the new physics but of course I changed everything else about my racing at the same time with the switch to VR. You may be onto something with improving it for VR players. I don't know what it was like before the update but in VR it just feels so natural now; its completely intuitive. We leads to the changes in braking and handling. No longer can you barrel into a corner and expect to turn. This now rewards easy off, letting cars balance settle and then turning in. I'm also finding with certain cars that you get big rewards for turning in with around 5-10% braking as well. Now in 2D I find that hard to do as flatscreen now feels unnatural to me, but in VR again it feels intuitive to allow the car to settle like that as you can see it in the body movements and it seems to replicate real life.

Overall as I got used to it I'm finding the update to be positive. Now if only they had added in-race splits to the VR HUD.

Last edited:
As ever Bathurst was good fun, the Lambo is a lovely little car since the update. Most of this weeks video is crashes, I got to see and participate in many of them šŸ˜ƒ

Cool, I'm gonna watch your video tonight. However I'm not digging Bathhurst this week, sorry. That downhill section is too intense and I always mess up somewhere in that area. Maybe next time I'll take a shot at it.

Last edited:
Reversing down to Forest's Elbow is a classic!
There is no other option, the road is too narrow to do a 3 point turn! šŸ˜…

Cool, I'm gonna watch your video tonight. However I'm not digging Bathhurst this week, sorry. That downhill section is too intense and I always mess up somewhere in that area. Maybe next time I'll take a shot at it.
It's a love/hate kind of circuit. I always use ABS on default here since it's a lot more friendly than weak, otherwise the same principal as being caught up in a bank heist applies, "make no sudden movements and nobody will get hurt".

IMG_0975.gif

It's a love/hate kind of circuit. I always use ABS on default here since it's a lot more friendly than weak, otherwise the same principal as being caught up in a bank heist applies, "make no sudden movements and nobody will get hurt".
Yeah the bank heist thing is a good analogy. I guess any races I do there I'll have to keep my distance especially near the downhill part. Getting penalties and hitting other drivers is far worse than just taking it slow and keeping away from the pack. I am gonna participate in the Eiger races next week and get a feel of the track while racing with online friends/competitors.

@TheNormsk lol, I know the feeling there, being stuck after making the turn.

Idk about Suzuka this week, we'll see how I feel. Sardegna-Windmills will be a new twist, hopefully those races will be exciting.

Last edited:
Rounding the week out, hang over curry in coming and a manu cup week that I spent more time practicing on I'm happy where I landed. I love racing at TM and I'm also really comfortable with it which helps.

I think I managed a respectable showing with @Nebuc72 in another random car not beating me by the margins he normally does.

Overall a nice week, smiles and cries as always but that's racing.

IMG_0974.jpeg

Edit:

I said this, brake in a straight line!

Last edited:
My alter ego is having a far better day than I am šŸ˜…šŸ˜…šŸ˜… Couple more wins in the bag and that includes 1 at TM which I am notoriously bad at. Father_Dougal80 's stats are looking very healthy so far šŸ‘Œ

I finally switched to the 911 and immediately knocked over a second from my best Mustang QT at Mt Panorama.Still only a 2:03.7 but still a big difference. The tip for the brake balance @newmedia_dev made a massive difference to the porsche, it's a different beast altogether now. Thanks šŸ‘ Funnily enough I watched Digits latest video earlier on and he was running exactly the same

Attachments

• 20240804_162145.jpg
    20240804_162145.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240804_175535.jpg
    20240804_175535.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Maybe if any of you routinely do this, you can explain it to me. I don't understand.

I was at race B, this morning, where I am not very good. :indiff:
A guy passed me, who I knew was faster.
I think he fell behind me because he was involved in a crash. Anyhow, I was fine with just letting him go by.
Then, as we're approaching a hard braking zone after a long straight, he pulls right in front of me. :scared: I see it all the time.
Of course I don't want to risk running into him, so I go low and end up passing him.
Why not just stay on the inside and brake a bit earlier, forcing me to take the long way around?

Last edited:
I started the week at DR E. I aim to finish the week at DR B. The only reason Iā€™m not there yet is my own shoddy driving šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø

Iā€™m either finishing top 3 or I crash myself out (usually in the first esses of TM). Then it becomes a race from the backā€¦.

Iā€™ve got to learn to stay on track :D

Last edited:
Mission accomplished. My goal was to get from DR E to DR B in one week. Actually I didn't start the week that way but as I started to see results in the VR and finding cars I liked, I gained a new love for Trial Mountain and decided to see if I could get to B. Honestly, before the VR I preferred the reverse version of the track but with the newly found depth perception and perhaps the physics change, I found all the twists and turns seemed much more reasonable. Still, I had a few ups and down (ahem five) in the week. As a result it took 21 races to get there including 3 DR E races where the DR does not count (I did two DR E last week for the requisite initial 5).

The last race was a mix of B and C racers and I was in 7th to start. I was thinking that might be trouble but as I am finding that as I can race to my QT pace now, it actually wasn't that bad progressing up the board to finish 3rd. I think a lot of these racers fall into my old m.o. which was QT by chasing a ghost and then not being able to drive to that in race. That's my advantage now, but now I am in B I'll have to come to terms with starting more mid pack if I'm not going to chase that rabbit.

1722808738804.png

1722808758159.png

I'm done for the week. That was a lot of racing. The VR is still so cool I want to do more but I really should do real things in reality for what is left of the weekend. :lol:

Last edited:
I don't think there will be that many participants in Eiger because it's narrow and some downhill sections are real tricky. At least we have a real rally car to race at Sardegna this week.
We are dealing with Group 3 cars again. Yippee! (For Suzuka)

So what rides are you guys going to use? I'm breaking out the Porsche!

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back