GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 36,211 comments
Managed a 1:15.7 in quali for C. Don't really know how that stacks up in the grand scheme of things, boy that car is a slippy one.

Also haven't done one of these in a while, Suzuka baby:

Really want to win at this circuit one day.

Hey, I was gonna use that car in the qualifying stage at Suzuka. I actually got to the first sector in 33.800 seconds, but I slacked off at Sector 3 so it really didn't help my lap, got a 2'03.555 using the GT500.

So my best run was on a Huracan car, surprisingly and I'm not usually a fan of those type cars.

Hey, I was gonna use that car in the qualifying stage at Suzuka. I actually got to the first sector in 33.800 seconds, but I slacked off at Sector 3 so it really didn't help my lap, got a 2'03.555 using the GT500.

So my best run was on a Huracan car, surprisingly and I'm not usually a fan of those type cars.
It's quite a smooth ride, if a bit understeery. But what I enjoyed was it didn't get too much of a wiggle on coming out the hairpin. My best quali time is a 2:01.4 I think in the M6, and that one does get wiggly out of the hairpin.

I have no idea how to contact Digit, but one thing I think I'd tell him to to add is the car class.

Back when I was tracking these numbers, it was clear that there was about 15,000 people at the time who only did "whichever race was Gr.3", it was the single biggest factor in what races were popular.
I agree, the cars would be good to add. He did say it was a work in progress.

He starts explaining it here (timestamped), if anyone is interested:

I regretted doing this, but I got so stressed out and frustrated on my 6th race at Suzuka, that I quit on my fourth lap. I haven't quit a race in 2-3 months. Maybe I should back off the races, I've done about 1,164. What's your status? 317 of my races have been clean, so I'm not a perfect driver that doesn't hit the wall or other cars. We're all human and make some kind of error out there on the tracks. We just don't know what kind of error. It hurt my DR when I quit, see I was 15th so what difference would it have made if I had finished 16th? So I escaped the drama and quit cold hard.

Hope I'm not paying for the consequences later with my DR drops.

Have you guys quit any races this week?

Last edited:
I regretted doing this, but I got so stressed out and frustrated on my 6th race at Suzuka, that I quit on my fourth lap. I haven't quit a race in 2-3 months. Maybe I should back off the races, I've done about 1,164. What's your status? 317 of my races have been clean, so I'm not a perfect driver that doesn't hit the wall or other cars. We're all human and make some kind of error out there on the tracks. We just don't know what kind of error. It hurt my DR when I quit, see I was 15th so what difference would it have made if I had finished 16th? So I escaped the drama and quit cold hard.

suzuka's a tough track, don't be too hard on yourself for quitting once in a while.

Yeah, I went too fast at the last obstacle before the finish line and I hit the colored tires and got stuck, so I reversed my car and drove off, but 8 drivers passed me, :(

So I lost hope after that and just decided to give it up. I hate it when things happen like that, I misjudge the speed for a corner/turn and mess my race up.

Last edited:
I didn't bother to set a new time for Race B. I should try again, but I probably won't.

For my first race I start P3. The first lap is fine but I lock the brakes entering turn 1 and take out driver in the esses trying to get back under control. Now, after that the car rear did not seem to want to settle down for me. It was like driving on ice the rest of the race. I finish P12 since I can't control my car.

My final race of the day has me in P4. Again I have troubles getting the Huracan under control and give up a few spots to not slow the pace down. I eventually get to P5 when a driver dumped another driver Dale Sr. style in the Casio Triangle. I stop for the night as I was in my head and making too many mistakes.

The Huracan was like a completely different car compared to yesterday. I must have been doing something different but I don't know what it was. I'll try some afternoon racing tomorrow as I've been off of work this week.

I didn't bother to set a new time for Race B. I should try again, but I probably won't.

For my first race I start P3. The first lap is fine but I lock the brakes entering turn 1 and take out driver in the esses trying to get back under control. Now, after that the car rear did not seem to want to settle down for me. It was like driving on ice the rest of the race. I finish P12 since I can't control my car.

My final race of the day has me in P4. Again I have troubles getting the Huracan under control and give up a few spots to not slow the pace down. I eventually get to P5 when a driver dumped another driver Dale Sr. style in the Casio Triangle. I stop for the night as I was in my head and making too many mistakes.

The Huracan was like a completely different car compared to yesterday. I must have been doing something different but I don't know what it was. I'll try some afternoon racing tomorrow as I've been off of work this week.
Well, Suzuka is a tough track, that last double turn before the finish line got me, I hit the green/white/red tires and got stuck, so I had to reverse the car and drive back on the road, 9 people passed me, so I was down to 15th. I thought, well I'm not going through this stress and I'm gonna finish almost last, so I quit on Lap 4 of my 6th race. I hated to do it but I was displeased with the results/outcome of the race.

Thankfully it did not tank my DR that much, but now I'm at a low-C rank. Before I was midway to C/B.

I'm not overdoing it this week, last time I did 30 races at TM, because I got race-happy and it was a blast!

Last edited:
I have to say that is a shameful performance by the Americas lobby. :lol:
Yea, not the best effort from that lobby. THat's why I clarified the ranking as it looks like an E/D lobby. Not a single pass was a racing pass. And, the AMG behind went from P16 to P2. :lol:

Almost, I got wrecked by a bowling ball on lap 1, turn 2 at Eiger Nordwand yesterday and was really pissed, it put me into 11th place from a 2nd place grid. I ended up with a 6th place finish because I was running in the back with no traffic, so I was glad I stuck with it... and didn't retaliate. I got pissed all over again when I saw he finished in 4th.

If everyone quit the race because they were in last place (or close to) then there is no race to be had 🍻

If everyone quit the race because they were in last place (or close to) then there is no race to be had 🍻
A definite technique I’ve seen is to throw yourself through the start and, if you successfully come out the other end, you gain a lot of positions, if not, you get heavily penalized or out of contention. If the later happens, many drivers quit.
Case in point in a B lobby this week.

Last edited:
Oh my at the end, that would have been a sure-fire reason to quit, if the race got too chaotic! I liked the video, that was a cool 27 second vid.

If you ever find yourself out of sorts just drive into the pit and stay there for the rest of the race. You'll at least finish and be higher than anyone else that doesn't finish the race IE lose less DR than if you just rage quit

I try to always finish to get the experience and get better. Sometimes I have held back and treated the laps to the finish like a qualifying test.
I did rage quit this week at suzuka on the 1 and only attempt I have had at it. Punted off and went to dead last. Watched the replay and the other driver who didn't touch the breaks got away scott free.

If you ever find yourself out of sorts just drive into the pit and stay there for the rest of the race. You'll at least finish and be higher than anyone else that doesn't finish the race IE lose less DR than if you just rage quit
But, there is also a flip side.

Because of the stupid 'time trial' qualifying system the game uses (instead of an actual qualifying session for each race), if you quit early then you potentially have an extra 2 or 3 laps between races to try and improve your grid position.

Not so much of an issue for people who have loads of time to play and do time trial. But for people who just have an hour or so per night it can be quite beneficial, especially towards the start of the week.

1000003518.jpg

Good races tonight. I must admit it's fun when you get the hang of the dreadful CS tyres.

You absolutely need to nail a low 1:13 qualifying time to stay in the lead and do your best to remain there.

This is well worth a watch

🤣

Pretty funny, and don’t get me started on penalties 🤬.

I have to think that PDs number one concern is keeping lobbies heavy populated, which translates to easy, penalty free arcade mode, aimed at the general population as opposed to a reality based sim.

If you break down the daily race global qualifying times, the fast qualifying times in an A/B lobby are a very small percentage of the total times posted from A+ to E.
My opinion is that most people who post on this blog, choose not to exploit holes in the system (i.e. malicious driving to advance position) but, that we are a very small portion of the total population. I see lots of videos here describing how to improve a qualifying time, I’ve yet to see a video posted on how to aim your car at an opponent and take him out to advance position.

The algorithm could be fairly simple, starting with: if you exceed the physics of a plausible turn by x% and crash, your car probably will not be able to continue. If you hit others in the process, you definitely will not continue.

Sorry for the rant, the penalty system is a hot-spot for me 🤪

Last edited:
That's a fair rant @Jflijohn but I think the hard thing for any system is telling malicious intent from either poor decision making or for want of a better phrase - lack of ability.

You mentioned the spread of QT times but that only paints part of the picture in that I'd imagine actual racing ability and racing maturity (like being ok with being passed or settling in etc) are a much wider spread.

And then it's about trying to make a penalty system flexible enough. In the lower lobbies ghosting is much heavier for example. In the higher splits ghosting is much much less the car almost has to be facing you in some cases.

But also at the upper end of B and beyond the expectation is that you have enough car control to avoid barriers and corner cuts etc. it is our own over pushing that is the problem.

To be fair the penalties are the same for everyone if they do the same things.

Contact penalties however are so hit and miss and that is what the infuriating part is at least for me.

That's a fair rant @Jflijohn but I think the hard thing for any system is telling malicious intent from either poor decision making or for want of a better phrase - lack of ability.

You mentioned the spread of QT times but that only paints part of the picture in that I'd imagine actual racing ability and racing maturity (like being ok with being passed or settling in etc) are a much wider spread.

And then it's about trying to make a penalty system flexible enough. In the lower lobbies ghosting is much heavier for example. In the higher splits ghosting is much much less the car almost has to be facing you in some cases.

But also at the upper end of B and beyond the expectation is that you have enough car control to avoid barriers and corner cuts etc. it is our own over pushing that is the problem.

To be fair the penalties are the same for everyone if they do the same things.

Contact penalties however are so hit and miss and that is what the infuriating part is at least for me.
Well, PD are not idiots and I’m sure the problems are much more complex than I realize, from physics to revenue, from casual drivers to pros.

The biggest thing for me to remember is that we are not pros and there is a wide disperagy in talent, more so at night when you have mixed lobbies.

…and you are correct about the difference between poor decision making and malicious intent. I review most of my races and I never intentionally go after drivers but, as I progress up through the B lobby races, I find that I am guilty of either poor decision making or just plain slower than my competition at times. I pull over and allow passes when possible but many of these tracks don’t allow much room for passing, and I’m not big on giving up track position, and at this point, gains in DR are slow to come 🤷🏻‍♂️

I had no issues controlling the car last week on Mount Panorama, in fact I was loving it, I was flying got me half way thru A rank and well on the way to A+. This is new ground for me I’ve never been ranked this high ever, great eh ?

Not really….. this week I am struggling big time on Suzuka, I’m all over the shop into that first bend. I’ve managed to do a 159:799 but can I replicate it or do low 2.00s consistently, can I feckers like. 🤦‍♂️

Any race I enter I’m losing DR without fail……. Gutted 😞

Oh well back to B soon I guess lol

I `ll start by saying im not great at this sim driving malarky, but am i really that bad ? - i got all excited when i saw the classic single seater Honda on the new short track in daily races, id hoped for some nice liveries to give me some eye candy for me to look at but most were white standard liveries, but to get to the point - my best lap was around 1 minute 17.6 - the lead cars were doing 1 min 15.5 - how are they doing this in the same pop car, as tinkering with set ups is minimal ? - I'm using the std controller - So questions are ........does the brake balance or Traction control make much difference - are they using high end steering wheel set ups or manual gears ? ive noticed that sometimes cars steer better using the drivers view rather than the chase view .......over 2 seconds a lap im down & a short lap too ...........or is it me ? ( don't sugar coat it)

I had no issues controlling the car last week on Mount Panorama, in fact I was loving it, I was flying got me half way thru A rank and well on the way to A+. This is new ground for me I’ve never been ranked this high ever, great eh ?

Not really….. this week I am struggling big time on Suzuka, I’m all over the shop into that first bend. I’ve managed to do a 159:799 but can I replicate it or do low 2.00s consistently, can I feckers like. 🤦‍♂️

Any race I enter I’m losing DR without fail……. Gutted 😞

Oh well back to B soon I guess lol
I think that most simmers (except aliens) are better with a few specific car type and tires and track combinations, and not so great with others. I'm useless at Barca and Suzuka with GR3/Hard, but great at DF, TM and GW with GT4, or GR3 with soft. It's probably down to a few actors - VR gives me an advantage at smaller, tighter tracks, plus I don't have enough car control for the more powerful/twistier car/tire combination.

How is this relevant to your post? Like this: Just as you I was flying through A and reached A+ after a series of weeks with my perfect fit of combinations, week after it was Barca GR3, and I was rubbish of course. Gutted, just as you said, and it was a terrible experience.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm A+ at GW, perhaps DF and TM as well, A in GR4 cars, and B in all other tracks with GR3 or higher.

Then theres guys that drives 60 year old "cars", supercars, rally cars, GR3,4 and everything else and still at A+ level. That's not me, so I'm sticking with my high B/low A dance for now depending on week.

All the best!

I `ll start by saying im not great at this sim driving malarky, but am i really that bad ? - i got all excited when i saw the classic single seater Honda on the new short track in daily races, id hoped for some nice liveries to give me some eye candy for me to look at but most were white standard liveries, but to get to the point - my best lap was around 1 minute 17.6 - the lead cars were doing 1 min 15.5 - how are they doing this in the same pop car, as tinkering with set ups is minimal ? - I'm using the std controller - So questions are ........does the brake balance or Traction control make much difference - are they using high end steering wheel set ups or manual gears ? ive noticed that sometimes cars steer better using the drivers view rather than the chase view .......over 2 seconds a lap im down & a short lap too ...........or is it me ? ( don't sugar coat it)

Post your video and take cover :-)

But seriously, show us a lap, and you will get feedback. A generic guess based on some videos I've seen for others doing 1.17 is that you

1) brake too hard and too late
2) get on the throttle too late in turn 2 and three
3) uses 1'st gear anywhere

Open up a 1.13 replay from the leaderboard, and watch them drive. Use cockpit view for the replay and study steering input, gear selection and when they brake and get off the brakes, and when they use the throttle.

There's 2 seconds right there.

Last edited:
…and you are correct about the difference between poor decision making and malicious intent. I review most of my races and I never intentionally go after drivers but, as I progress up through the B lobby races, I find that I am guilty of either poor decision making or just plain slower than my competition at times. I pull over and allow passes when possible but many of these tracks don’t allow much room for passing, and I’m not big on giving up track position, and at this point, gains in DR are slow to come 🤷🏻‍♂️
The difference between poor decision making and malicious intent is how you behave on track after that.
If you give back the position (sometimes that involves parking your car until the other driver recovers), its more than enough as an appology for me. However if you still running as if nothing had happened, an "Im sorry" text after the race is not enough in my point of view.

Last edited:
Back