GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,854 comments
Image quality seems to be the hottest topic of debate, and I feel this is due to bolstered expectations. I believe PS VR2 will be many people's first proper VR experience, and with all the reviews and feedback hyping it up as "crystal clear" etc, I think alot of people are expecting TV/Monitor level of clarity. This is simply not the case, and those who have had any VR experience know that, but can lead those who are taking their first steps into VR into disappointment. The PS VR2 is widely considered to be among the best headset out there, especially considering the price. When its being hyped and praised for it's clarity, it's not being compared to 4K tv's or monitors, but other VR headsets.
I wholeheartedly agree, and to be honest I am a bit ... miffed ... about this. If one talks about a 'crystal-clear image' without putting it into any context, why would anyone expect less than the clarity of a 4k (or at least a full hd) television? These reviewers must have been aware that PSVR 2 would, like you said, be the first VR experience for many gamers, thus I believe they should at least have hinted at a rough level of what to expect. Now that PSVR 2 has been released, there's a ton of videos on youtube on 'how to fix blurriness in PSVR 2'.

It's like someone saying that Burger King's Whopper is "the best burger in the world", when actually meaning that it is the best burger in the world for a fast-food-chain burger. This may sound like nitpicking, but it actually is a vastly different statement.

Last edited:
Check that seat & steering wheel offset. Yikes.
1679989154707.jpeg

I may not own one, but at least I can say I’ve seen what’s it being behind the wheel of a 1938 Alfa. ;)
1679989210108.jpeg

Absolutely love the PS VR2. Got it day 1 and aside from lazy grinding on the pad sometimes when I don't feel like setting up the wheelstand, I've not driven outside of the VR on the wheel.

Image quality seems to be the hottest topic of debate, and I feel this is due to bolstered expectations. I believe PS VR2 will be many people's first proper VR experience, and with all the reviews and feedback hyping it up as "crystal clear" etc, I think alot of people are expecting TV/Monitor level of clarity. This is simply not the case, and those who have had any VR experience know that, but can lead those who are taking their first steps into VR into disappointment. The PS VR2 is widely considered to be among the best headset out there, especially considering the price. When its being hyped and praised for it's clarity, it's not being compared to 4K tv's or monitors, but other VR headsets.

The immersion is amazing, I've already spent hours in VR Showroom, and I just enjoy driving anything. I feel like I'm experiencing every car in the game for the first time again.

I do hope we get more HUD options to set it up as we like, I think the lack of any delta times is my biggest complaint, but overall the experience is nothing short of phenomenal.

I did, however, run into troubles wearing headphones with it. I used a SteelSeries Arctis 7P, and it's not a good fit with the PS VR2. Temporarily I used the earphones that came with it, and they're better then I expected, while not great. Eventually I bought the Pulse 3D headset, and it is a snug fit for me, and if anything, helps keeping the headset in the sweetspot.

The ease of use is great, especially compared to the original PS VR. One USB C cable to the front of the PS5. That's it.

Overall, I'm a very happy camper! :D
Yes, I have a PSVR 2 too, and I can confirm that the resolution is not as expected (like the Meta Quest 2), but you will forget it by playing a while. The immersion with the bright lighting (OLED display) is spot on! You think, you are really sitting in the car. In german: Das Ding ist der Hammer! (This thing is awesome!)

Last edited:
For audio, I don't use the sound output of the PSVR 2. At my first try I connected my over ear head phones with the PSVR 2 sound output, but the sound was really bad. So I decided to go with my old configuration. My head phones are connected to my Yamaha amplifier as before and it sounds great. So there are 2 cables connected to my PSVR 2/head phones, but by playing GT7, this is not disturbing in any way.

Last edited:
For audio, I don't use the sound output of the PSVR 2. At my first try I connected my over ear head phones with the PSVR 2 sound output, but the sound was really bad. So I decided to go with my old configuration.
What model over ear headphones do you have?

No, it's just hope only.
AC in VR works with some tricks fine on PC, so it could work on the console well too with some little work.

Last edited:
seems like a 120hz mode for the regular game in the patch. What if it's possible to access this mode for VR2? with lower fidelity... So at 120hz you would not have reprojection, making the game look much better and less blurry in motion, at native higher FPS.

I wait for your impressions

seems like a 120hz mode for the regular game in the patch. What if it's possible to access this mode for VR2? with lower fidelity... So at 120hz you would not have reprojection, making the game look much better and less blurry in motion, at native higher FPS.

We can hope but it looks like this is a 120Hz TV/monitor mode. 120Hz native in VR would be impossible without PS1 graphics. A 90Hz native VR would be the most likely way to ditch reprojection.

I wholeheartedly agree, and to be honest I am a bit ... miffed ... about this. If one talks about a 'crystal-clear image' without putting it into any context, why would anyone expect less than the clarity of a 4k (or at least a full hd) television? These reviewers must have been aware that PSVR 2 would, like you said, be the first VR experience for many gamers, thus I believe they should at least have hinted at a rough level of what to expect. Now that PSVR 2 has been released, there's a ton of videos on youtube on 'how to fix blurriness in PSVR 2'.

It's like someone saying that Burger King's Whopper is "the best burger in the world", when actually meaning that it is the best burger in the world for a fast-food-chain burger. This may sound like nitpicking, but it actually is a vastly different statement.

Yes, I have a PSVR 2 too, and I can confirm that the resolution is not as expected (like the Meta Quest 2), but you will forget it by playing a while. The immersion with the bright lighting (OLED display) is spot on! You think, you are really sitting in the car. In german: Das Ding ist der Hammer! (This thing is awesome!)
Just to add some context here because marketing numbers and all that. Currently, with the approx. 2000x2000 pixel per eye headset, we have an effective pixel per degree value close to DVD (720p) quality when watching a 27 in screen from about 0.5m away.

So, the state of the art in the mainstream market is at this level while we are used to razor sharp 4k displays on our flat panels. The jump from VHS to DVD only took half a decade compared to a much longer time for the jump on flatscreen and obviously we have all the other screen advancements like OLED on our side this time. So, there is promise in the pace of future development in this aspect on the hardware side. What the medium really needs is software support, thankfully GT7 is one of the best examples of it and having Sony involved in this will help the gaming side of this immensely as it did with the original PSVR.

Credit to this reddit post for the calculation:

Last edited:
Before release of VR2 I haven't played GT7 for quite some time although I have a DD Pro with load cell etc. But since I have my VR2 I am addicted. I don't care about the blurriness, mura, etc. The feeling I get from being in the car and experiencing the scale is so immersive. Are there issues I would like to see fixed? Absolutely. And I hope PD will update the VR experience for the better.
Today just out of curiosity I wanted to know how it would feel do have quick round on my flat TV. Well, it was a mess. I missed all breaking points, was struggling to hit the apex of the corners, I spun out, etc. Horrible experience and I don't believe I'm going to play any racing game on flat screen ever again. That's to bad because I was actually looking forward to test Forza motorsport. I guess there is no reason for me to hold on to my Xbox any longer.

Just to add some context here because marketing numbers and all that. Currently, with the approx. 2000x2000 pixel per eye headset, we have an effective pixel per degree value close to DVD (720p) quality when watching a 27 in screen from about 0.5m away.

So, the state of the art in the mainstream market is at this level while we are used to razor sharp 4k displays on our flat panels. The jump from VHS to DVD only took half a decade compared to a much longer time for the jump on flatscreen and obviously we have all the other screen advancements like OLED on our side this time. So, there is promise in the pace of future development in this aspect on the hardware side. What the medium really needs is software support, thankfully GT7 is one of the best examples of it and having Sony involved in this will help the gaming side of this immensely as it did with the original PSVR.

Credit to this reddit post for the calculation:

You bet! And not just by resolution (crispness) alone, the field of view is still subpar in most of these headsets.

Before release of VR2 I haven't played GT7 for quite some time although I have a DD Pro with load cell etc. But since I have my VR2 I am addicted. I don't care about the blurriness, mura, etc. The feeling I get from being in the car and experiencing the scale is so immersive. Are there issues I would like to see fixed? Absolutely. And I hope PD will update the VR experience for the better.
Today just out of curiosity I wanted to know how it would feel do have quick round on my flat TV. Well, it was a mess. I missed all breaking points, was struggling to hit the apex of the corners, I spun out, etc. Horrible experience and I don't believe I'm going to play any racing game on flat screen ever again. That's to bad because I was actually looking forward to test Forza motorsport. I guess there is no reason for me to hold on to my Xbox any longer.
I spent practically an entire year without touching GT7. Since the PSVR2 launch it is basically the only thing I play and I see no reason to play any other racing game if GT7 VR is there. In fact I can’t see my self playing any other racing game without VR period, it doesn’t make sense going back to flat.

A wheel changes 50% of the experience, VR changes the remaining 50% giving you an entire new game.

So weird. Feel like I been using the PSVR2 for months and it’s only been a month.
Same. One thing is for sure, my PSVR2 has more hours of use in a month than my PSVR had in its entire existence.

I spent practically an entire year without touching GT7. Since the PSVR2 launch it is basically the only thing I play and I see no reason to play any other racing game if GT7 VR is there. In fact I can’t see my self playing any other racing game without VR period, it doesn’t make sense going back to flat.

A wheel changes 50% of the experience, VR changes the remaining 50% giving you an entire new game.

So weird. Feel like I been using the PSVR2 for months and it’s only been a month.
Same. One thing is for sure, my PSVR2 has more hours of use in a month than my PSVR had in its entire existence.

Last edited:
Thought some of you guys might get a kick out of this PSVR2 race vid thumbnail I made. 🤓

Attachments

• GT7 this race melted my brain thumb 7 -1440.jpg
    GT7 this race melted my brain thumb 7 -1440.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 16
FYI: I just got notice from VR Optician that my order for PSVR 2 prescription lenses will ship out today. I ordered them on 9th of March. So anticipate roughly 3 weeks of processing time for prescription lenses orders at VR Optician.

That's to bad because I was actually looking forward to test Forza motorsport. I guess there is no reason for me to hold on to my Xbox any longer.
Good point! I own a XBox Series S and I thought, I could purchase Forza Motorsport too, but to play at a flat screen again makes it bah.

@ the Interceptor
My headphones are a noname brand.
I think my Yamaha amplifier is the key.

Last edited:
@ the Interceptor
My headphones are a noname brand.
I think my Yamaha amplifier is the key.
Yeah, probably. Headphone outputs and headphones sometimes do not match well due to the impedance the output is optimized for vs. the impedance the headphone actually has. Outputs on stereo/surround amplifiers usually are much more robust and powerful. This probably makes the difference you experience.

Last edited:
I have the game pass too. I will take a small look, so I know something about the game to talk about it. That's all. Afterwards I will cancel my game pass membership. Nothing to do with the XBox then.

I have some hope for that since the headset is already 120hz and the PS5 may be able to handle it, it's a shame the patch notes don't specify anything regarding the PSVR2 so we will have to wait.

PD really seem to be deep into engine & image quality optimisations. Gives me great hope we'll continue to see refinements for PS VR2. Maybe a native 90fps mode?

Yes, I get blue triangles, squares, polygons, whatever all over the place, including the walls, the furniture, the floor, both sides of me and even behind me (about 240 degrees all together from looking over my left shoulder to looking over my right shoulder). I look at the ceiling, like it says, look at the floor, and all around. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but it gives me absolutely no indication of why.

I had this experience the first time I turned on my PSVR2, and I was equally confused. For me the problem was sitting in my chair while I was doing this and apparently I wasn't doing a good enough job of looking behind me. Once I stood up and made sure the area I was looking covered a 360-degree view as well as ceiling and floor, the system finally accepted the scan.

Not sure if this applies to you, but try maybe try that.

Back