GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,849 comments
Well, that's certainly a choice one could make. Sitting in your cockpit... nude... with burnt retinas. Helluva way to party. \m/
Wait till I tell you about the crocodile clips and heavy duty battery I use... attach...for custom endurance events...

Helps keep me alert and focused.

:D

Last edited:
This thread just took an... unexpected turn. 💀😆

Meanwhile even my PSVR2 is fully clothed and protected from lint with one of my helmet bags.

PSVR2 helmet bag.jpg

I was wondering if the foveated rendering is enabled while not racing. If I move my eyes from the point straight in front, everything remains blurry, instead of getting focused as I would have thought it would do with FR. When I turn my head to look a something on the sides, it becomes clear.
Apparently people with astigmatism (me included) have an issue with foveated rendering, just as you describe. Not sure where I read it, but the theory made sense. I've got the same issue as you, but turning my head now seems natural.

Apparently people with astigmatism (me included) have an issue with foveated rendering, just as you describe. Not sure where I read it, but the theory made sense. I've got the same issue as you, but turning my head now seems natural.
No no. You guys are throwing to things together here. Foveated Rendering and the headsets (minuscule) sweetspot.

Foveated rendering is working as advertised. What you are noticing is the small sweetspot. The headset is only sharp when you look right through the middle of the lens. Thats an unfortunate limitation of fresnel lenses.

The headset is only sharp when you look right through the middle of the lens. Thats an unfortunate limitation of fresnel lenses.
so what's the point of eye tracking if the sweet spot ii so narrow that foveated rendering can not move from dead center when you move your eyes ?

to complete my previous post, this is true also while racing, the only area where things are focused is in the center, if you move your eyes (not your head) to watch anythin around the center, it is blurry.

No no. You guys are throwing to things together here. Foveated Rendering and the headsets (minuscule) sweetspot.

Foveated rendering is working as advertised. What you are noticing is the small sweetspot. The headset is only sharp when you look right through the middle of the lens. Thats an unfortunate limitation of fresnel lenses.
I've had my VR2 since day 1. Initially, finding the SS was difficult, but now it is super easy. I DO think the foveated rendering can be affected by this medical condition.

(Apologies for posting this link like this. I'm a numpty ...) The link is to a scientific paper about foveated rendering in VR (gaming in particular). It might be a bit dense for most, but it's choc-full of great info.

Last edited:
so what's the point of eye tracking if the sweet spot ii so narrow that foveated rendering can not move from dead center when you move your eyes ?
It still does what it's supposed to do. Moving your eyes or your head has the same outcome - you look at a different "place". Foveated rendering will only render this at full res while keeping your peripheral view lower res for resource management.

Last edited:

to complete my previous post, this is true also while racing, the only area where things are focused is in the center, if you move your eyes (not your head) to watch anythin around the center, it is blurry.
I think the main point is overall performance. It seems to only happen on the right side of the screen for some reason (that I could ever see in replays), when you are not looking in the direction. But that means the PS5 has to work less to render the screen because everything on the right has less resolution and detail. You could argue that leaves more Tflops to create the center of the screen where you are looking, and that would increase image quality but I'm not sure they do that.

BWX
I think the main point is overall performance. It seems to only happen on the right side of the screen for some reason (that I could ever see in replays), when you are not looking in the direction. But that means the PS5 has to work less to render the screen because everything on the right has less resolution and detail. You could argue that leaves more Tflops to create the center of the screen where you are looking, and that would increase image quality but I'm not sure they do that.
I understand the goal of foveated rendering, my point is, that eye-tracking does not seem to work, the area that is well rendered (thanks to foveated rendering) is always in the center, regardless of eye movement.

I understand the goal of foveated rendering, my point is, that eye-tracking does not seem to work, the area that is well rendered (thanks to foveated rendering) is always in the center, regardless of eye movement.
Right but the degradation in quality and resolution that happens in foveated rendering with eye tracking is much more severe than the blur you see when you look far right. But that is a valid argument for better lenses in goggles that use it.

edit- but actually what you described would be foveated rendering without eye tracking. When you look right for example, the right side of the screen goes from pixelated to clear. I'm not sure why it doesn't happen on the left side of the FOV but I've never seen it.

Last edited:
I've had PSVR2 for almost a week now and it's been an amazing experience, I was worried I wouldn't like the cockpit view due to the limited vision but its been fine although there are some weird Gr.1 cockpits with limited vision but they are still fun to drive. I found that you can remove the windshield banner in the livery editor for increased vision but it doesn't work for all cars.

Only issue I've encountered with the hardware is that grainy mura effect, it causes a blurriness in motion while driving but I'm getting used to it, I haven't noticed it in other games like horizon and no man's sky.

BWX
Meanwhile even my PSVR2 is fully clothed and protected from lint with one of my helmet bags.
I do something similar now. When done with VR, I put the headset in a Fanatec wheel bag. Helps keep it clean rather than left on the floor next to our air intake vent - which I presume attracts dust.

:bowdown: Thank you so much @SUBZERO-8K the detail pd puts into each car is insane.
Having sat in a couple of the cars featured in the game, the detail is astonishing. Mainly the A45 AMG and Gallardo. Other than RHD and LHD discrepancies, the interiors are spot on. Every single little thing, hell, even the door bins, feels good and looks perfect. PD may have lost it's way with single player, but their manic attention to detail is something that will keep me hooked forever. It's legitimately scary how much it feels like the real thing, I reach out my hand to shift when the VR interior shows it on the right in LHD cars, even though I know my shifter is on the left lol, small things, but it really feels like there are physical objects there, to the same degree as job simulator (unrelated, but if you have Playstation Plus Premium, it's free for PSVR2, and it's the funniest **** ever)

PD may have lost it's way with single player, but their manic attention to detail is something that will keep me hooked forever.
Absolutely agree.

If only they would pay a little bit more attention to seating positions and perspective inside the cars, it would really be perfect.

For example, sit in the M6 Endurance, you feel like a small child, and then try the CSL '73, it's like a kids toy car compared to your view. Many more examples. And the seating positions, really I think more cars have it wrong than right, there are maybe 20% of cars from my garage that I don't have to move the center every time I start driving.

If only they would pay a little bit more attention to seating positions and perspective inside the cars, it would really be perfect.
Definitely agree here. The somewhat variable nature of your seat position when you join a race can be a bit off at times. Wish there was a VR set up option on seat height and fore/aft adjustment that could be configured pre-race in the car or display settings.

It's also surprising how many cars have shift lights obscured by the steering wheel rim.

Last edited:
One trick that works that someone told me on here is that when you hit the start button to start a race, tilt your head down and look down somewhere below your wheel. Then when the race starts you'll be sitting higher up, at least. This was very noticeable when I was doing the Honda RA272 TT events. If I forgot to look down when I hit start, I felt like a midget once it dumped me in the car. If I did look down, I could see along the car's nose.

One trick that works that someone told me on here is that when you hit the start button to start a race, tilt your head down and look down somewhere below your wheel. Then when the race starts you'll be sitting higher up, at least. This was very noticeable when I was doing the Honda RA272 TT events. If I forgot to look down when I hit start, I felt like a midget once it dumped me in the car. If I did look down, I could see along the car's nose.

Yeah this. I do this for every car I get in. It’s not even consistent. Every car needs individual adjustments. It’s a bit of a hassle.

Last edited:
PS5 Pro announcement is tomorrow, hopefully we'll get a level of understanding of how it'll improve the VR experience.

I'm hoping that features like PSSR are baked-in (as rumored) and won't be reliant on the developers to implement.

Yeah this. I do this for every car I get in. It’s not even consistent. Every car need individual adjustments. It’s a bit of a hassle.
The option to do it is there but it's inaccessible. GT Sport VR allowed us to do it...

Last edited:
Every car will always need adjustments because each person has unique preferences for where they want to sit. I sit with my eyes just barely over the steering wheel, in the game and in my real race car. There will never be something perfect for everyone, which is why I keep advocating folks use the recentre feature with the options button. Once you know where you have to sit yourself when you press the button, you can just mimic that position during the start countdown before a race.

It's really not a big deal. Even during a race in real life, you're going to be tightening the belts periodically, moving mirrors, etc.

I do similar, but usually sink my head into my neck, but when it really gets me is when I am trying to adjust my hud - such as setting the fuel map while still in auto drive - and then it pops into VR while I am still looking off in the corner; then it is all out of whack and I have to do a quick reset. That's not so bad in TTs and weekly challenge races but in the weekly sport races it can be a bit of an issue. There I just have to ensure I am looking straight ahead before we jump out of auto drive.

Last edited:
Every car will always need adjustments because each person has unique preferences for where they want to sit. I sit with my eyes just barely over the steering wheel, in the game and in my real race car. There will never be something perfect for everyone, which is why I keep advocating folks use the recentre feature with the options button. Once you know where you have to sit yourself when you press the button, you can just mimic that position during the start countdown before a race.

It's really not a big deal. Even during a race in real life, you're going to be tightening the belts periodically, moving mirrors, etc.

It’s not just personal preferences. The position in most cars is simply wrong relative to the avatar and the seat you both are sitting in.
Putting the headset in see through mode and looking at your real life body gives you a good point of reference for what you should see in VR.
Most of the time the camera is way too low and too close to the wheel.

It’s not a huge deal, but definitely annoying. Especially in situations where you can’t take your time to get the position right like when you are coming out of the pits.

Last edited:
That was my point. For almost every car, the camera is too high and too far forward for me. As a funny example, the EG Civic is just as I described, too high and too close. Yet the EK Civic is almost spot on for me. Still a touch high, but not looking through the windscreen banner high like most. It's going to be different for each person.

Absolutely agree.

For example, sit in the M6 Endurance, you feel like a small child, and then try the CSL '73, it's like a kids toy car compared to your view. Many more examples. And the seating positions, really I think more cars have it wrong than right, there are maybe 20% of cars from my garage that I don't have to move the center every time I start driving.
Yeah, that's the only problem I feel as well. I feel like I'm 6'6 while sitting in the Gallardo, which is crazy as the seat is basically on the floor in that car, and in tons of cars you can't see out the front/ can't tell where the corners of your car are. That may be because, as made obvious by my username lol, I suck at parking, but visibility from VR is pretty poor. I'll try out the CSL '73 to see if you're right about it. Off topic, but I absolutely love that car, I own two in game (One in Verona Red and one in Fjord Metallic)

That's why I really like my sim rig seat with recline but mostly the slider front/ rear. I usually want to be lower and farther away from default, so I can slide seat forward and sit more upright before race, then right when it starts sit back down and rearward and I'm usually good. Sometimes it's opposite though. In multiplayer when you can't pause, you can kind of just sit more upright and forward as race starts and then sit back down into seat to get a good driving position. You get used to which cars need you to sit up or crouch down as race starts to get into the sweet spot for driving. But yeah it's crazy they don't let you remember the position for each car, same as with the hud issues. The VR experience could be polished just a little bit more for a much better experience overall.

BWX
That's why I really like my sim rig seat with recline but mostly the slider front/ rear. I usually want to be lower and farther away from default, so I can slide seat forward and sit more upright before race, then right when it starts sit back down and rearward and I'm usually good. Sometimes it's opposite though. In multiplayer when you can't pause, you can kind of just sit more upright and forward as race starts and then sit back down into seat to get a good driving position. You get used to which cars need you to sit up or crouch down as race starts to get into the sweet spot for driving. But yeah it's crazy they don't let you remember the position for each car, same as with the hud issues. The VR experience could be polished just a little bit more for a much better experience overall.
Speaking of hud issues, it's sorta hard to drive some cars properly because of the lack of available hud. Some cars like the 992 and 991 GT3RS rev so high that their first person tacho doesn't go high enough. It is possible to shift based on just sound, but I just find it really hard to shift like that in the middle of races lol, so that is a little annoying. Still leaps and bounds more immersive than anything I've played before though, so definitely not a deal breaker.

Speaking of hud issues, it's sorta hard to drive some cars properly because of the lack of available hud. Some cars like the 992 and 991 GT3RS rev so high that their first person tacho doesn't go high enough. It is possible to shift based on just sound, but I just find it really hard to shift like that in the middle of races lol, so that is a little annoying. Still leaps and bounds more immersive than anything I've played before though, so definitely not a deal breaker.
Yeah there's tons of cars in time trials where I have to just shift by ear. Not easy sometimes!

Alas no mention of any PSVR2 improvements with the PS5 Pro launch. They did demonstrate significant sharpness improvements in distance rendering on normal game play so one can only hope that also translates to PSVR2.

Also they now do full ray tracing at 60fps in race but again, no idea if that will translate to ray tracing inside the VR world.

Last edited:
Back