GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,803 comments
I would friend you as a fellow VR user but I'm not sure I want you on my leader board! :D
Not sure if you want him as a friend, his lap times are scary :)

@Vule your times for the circuit experience are very strong. Please tell me you kept trying hard even after achieving gold?
Once I have gold I just move on, even though there is space for improvement. Some hidden platinum times would be fun

Please tell me you kept trying hard even after achieving gold?
Depends really. Considering I have aroud 40-50 friends on my list, and most of them are playing GT7 only (most of them are from this forum), I always aim for the top spot, or top 2-3 (because @djolliea is almost always quicker than me :D ), most of the time I get there, be that on the licence test, circuit experience, time trial, quali for daily races etc.

And I never have just one go, I return and try again, until I reach what I think is my limit, not because of the leaderbord glory or anything, but I found out that in this way I have the best practice, improve my skills with different cars and tracks, finding miliseconds and understanding the behaviour in different scenarios.

And on topic - after smashing the 458 Gr3 around the RBR last night, I found myself driving different STOCK cars around my favourite tracks, just enjoying them in VR. For example, M3 07, M3 14, Giulia, F Type... Those cars I never drove without tuning before, I just focused on laptime, and now when I sit in one, completely bone stock on SH tires, it's such a different experience, I feel that I can drive them much quicker in VR, feeling them much better, catching slides, looking at the gauges, when to shift etc... This really transformed my experience with the game, from endless laptime chasing, to actually enjoying my hobby the way it's meant to be enjoyed.

And I want to thank everyone that shared their experiences and tips in this topic, without reading those great posts, I would've never make a decision to buy the set.

:gtpflag:

Quick question on HDR. How do I know if my headset is running in HDR?

My PS5 is plugged into an old 40" TV that only does 4k60 and no HDR. I noticed in the VR settings, I can't use 120Hz as I would get no screen output for when I take the headset off, so what Hz does it run at? I thought it would be 90 but now not sure..

Also, it states that HDR is only enabled in VR if I start a game with the headset on. Usually, I just start the headset once I am in GT7 and then take it on and off though the session. I tested this and closed out GT7 while I had the headset on and then started it again. i didn't notice any difference.

So am i running the headset in SDR and not HDR? How would I know?

My PS5 is plugged into an old 40" TV that only does 4k60 and no HDR. I noticed in the VR settings, I can't use 120Hz as I would get no screen output for when I take the headset off, so what Hz does it run at? I thought it would be 90 but now not sure..

Also, it states that HDR is only enabled in VR if I start a game with the headset on. Usually, I just start the headset once I am in GT7 and then take it on and off though the session. I tested this and closed out GT7 while I had the headset on and then started it again. i didn't notice any difference.

Thats a good one and I hope some one bring us some light here.
I have the same doubt.

In my case, my tv supports HDR but at first HDR wasnt enabled by default on VR.
I enabled it and when I start the game with the set on I cant spot any difference

Last edited:

I thought GT7 always was in HDR if you are in VR. I do have an HDR flat screen that I run in HDR though.. I never saw anything say you had to start GT7 with goggles on to get HDR in VR though. Where did it say that? Was it a message that popped up or something?

edit - Also I thought VR GT7 runs in 120hz mode with reprojection, so 60hz reprojected to 120 hz.

Last edited:
BWX
I never saw anything say you had to start GT7 with goggles on to get HDR in VR though. Where did it say that? Was it a message that popped up or something?
I found it. It was in the cinema mode settings. Perhaps it only applies to the projected 2d cinema screen and not the 3d VR space.
IMG_8413.jpeg
IMG_8414.jpeg

No I don’t see any difference. I should try this out when I’m connected to my C2 Oled and not the driving tv.
The headset should display HDR 100% of the time. It is it's own monitor, and therefore there is no reason to have an adjustment for HDR capability (while in VR Mode). I've always wondered why you would want to turn it off, unless it hurts your eyes? Maybe?

Last edited:
I found it. It was in the cinema mode settings. Perhaps it only applies to the projected 2d cinema screen and not the 3d VR space.
View attachment 1377702View attachment 1377703
I don't know exactly if this is what you're looking for, but to use 120 Hertz you have to deactivate 120 Hertz in the video settings for video output, then go to the accessories settings and you can now activate 120 Hertz and HDR, then go back to the Cinema menu and activate 120 Hertz again.

Depends really. Considering I have aroud 40-50 friends on my list, and most of them are playing GT7 only (most of them are from this forum), I always aim for the top spot, or top 2-3 (because @djolliea is almost always quicker than me :D ), most of the time I get there, be that on the licence test, circuit experience, time trial, quali for daily races etc.

And I never have just one go, I return and try again, until I reach what I think is my limit, not because of the leaderbord glory or anything, but I found out that in this way I have the best practice, improve my skills with different cars and tracks, finding miliseconds and understanding the behaviour in different scenarios.

And on topic - after smashing the 458 Gr3 around the RBR last night, I found myself driving different STOCK cars around my favourite tracks, just enjoying them in VR. For example, M3 07, M3 14, Giulia, F Type... Those cars I never drove without tuning before, I just focused on laptime, and now when I sit in one, completely bone stock on SH tires, it's such a different experience, I feel that I can drive them much quicker in VR, feeling them much better, catching slides, looking at the gauges, when to shift etc... This really transformed my experience with the game, from endless laptime chasing, to actually enjoying my hobby the way it's meant to be enjoyed.

And I want to thank everyone that shared their experiences and tips in this topic, without reading those great posts, I would've never make a decision to buy the set.

:gtpflag:
you should definitely drive the tracks with open vehicles, especially the open racing cars. and I think there is a bug in the Scirocco and you look out of the roof ;)

That’s cause I wasn’t in the car at the time. Can’t take a photo and race at the same time!
LOL That's what a significant other is for?

I have the Turtle Beach Stealth 600 cans I use when it's late and I don't wish to disturb the wife with the noise. Otherwise I'm using my stereo.

Last edited:
Would it be kinda' cool if someone figured out how to mount the PSVR2 to one of these, with some good speakers inside as well?

20240803_205810.jpg

Then maybe @TheNormsk would look, not stupid?

I'd certainly consider it. Practically there anyway when I use my headset with the scope.

View attachment 1377974View attachment 1377975View attachment 1377976

I decided to try the Sony 3D headphones that I had laying around rather than the VR head buds. I think I’ve lost grip with reality :D
How do you like those headphones? How is the sound field? (Lows/Mids/Highs). I am looking for some better cans to use with PSVR2 (My Sony Pulse Elites are garbage), and my JBL wired headphones are OK, but far from perfect (Not nearly loud enough, and they lack low end, similar to the Pulse cans).

Would it be kinda' cool if someone figured out how to mount the PSVR2 to one of these
Actually, somebody has. I’ve seen pictures of such a contraption on the Internet somewhere. One of the Reddit PSVR2 groups I think.
How do you like those headphones?
they’re OK. I’m not sure what to compare them with because I’ve never had anything better. The mic quality is terrible, but that doesn’t really apply for Gran Turismo.

I got them free from a Work benefits reward shopping thing so I grabbed them, otherwise I probably wouldn’t have them. I looked them up. They’re the older gen Inzone H3. The wired version. None of that wireless garbage. You don’t want to be charging mid race.

Honestly the earbuds that came with the PSVR2 don’t really sound any worse than these headphones, in fact, the pretty comparable, but I prefer having something not in my ear.

Actually, somebody has. I’ve seen pictures of such a contraption on the Internet somewhere. One of the Reddit PSVR2 groups I think.

they’re OK. I’m not sure what to compare them with because I’ve never had anything better. The mic quality is terrible, but that doesn’t really apply for Gran Turismo.

I got them free from a Work benefits reward shopping thing so I grabbed them, otherwise I probably wouldn’t have them. I looked them up. They’re the older gen Inzone H3. The wired version. None of that wireless garbage. You don’t want to be charging mid race.

Honestly the earbuds that came with the PSVR2 don’t really sound any worse than these headphones, in fact, the pretty comparable, but I prefer having something not in my ear.
Thanks for the response. Yeah, those are not quite what I'm looking for. I'm probably looking at spending anywhere from $150 - $300 on something capable of producing a richer/clearer sound field. Most headphones either have the mids scooped out, almost no low end, or just a muddy overall sound quality. If anyone has any suggestions, my ears are wide open, so to speak.

Last edited:
The earbuds that come with the VR2 are actually very good, for me they are so comfortable with the default plugs, I don't feel them at all. And actually the microphone on the VR2 is amazing (apparently), last night I was on a party driving in some lobbies with couple of friends and they all said they hear me crystal clear and very loud. Usually I use my HyperX Cloud 3's for all the gaming and parties, and they are perfect, even if I put them over my VR headset, but now at least I have the option to not use them if I want the quick solution :)

If I may, just couple of additional points to make after using the VR for 4-5 days.

I'm starting to have issues with my eyes, it's like I'm seeing double all the time, especially when reading something on my phone or on the monitor, I find myself constantily leaning back and putting my phone further away so I can read. I don't know if it's the VR, lack of sleep, high pressure or whatever, I had this issue before but not in this amount, I guess it just amplified the problem I already knew I had, must go to the eye doctor to check everything. Again, I had to do this even before, but didn't, to be honest I only remembered that I had this blurry vision before when I started to suspect that VR has something to do with it.

Second point, sweet spot. It's so hard to maintain, I can find it, I can set up the lenses nicely, but I feel as times go by and I drive more and more, that everything becomes more blurry and worse looking. It's basically, first couple of drives are fine, later on, all foggy and blurry. I clean the lenses all the time, that's the third point, oh my god are they hard to clean perfectly, whatever cloth I use, it's like they are always a bit greasy.

And now for the positive (?) part:
I tried using my TV for driving for the first time in 4 days, and I was terrible. Gave the M3 07 a spin on the ring, kept missing the apexes, I was constantly late with my reactions, I spun the car like 10 times in first 5 minutes. Then went on to the RBR to try the Ferrari in the wet, couldn't drive for the life of me. 1:39s, high 1:38s at best, and a million mistakes, I just don't feel anything while driving now. Switched back to VR, instantly on the first lap clocked a 1:37.7 (my best from couple of days ago is 1:37 dead). Went back to the Ring with the M3, drove one perfect lap without a single mistake or a restart... Jesus christ this is (not) good :D

And for the software part, were there any discussions at any point, why did PD decide to include the MFD and laptime in VR mode but didn't include the race order and gaps? I had such an issue yesterday in a lobby, I have no clue in quali where I am, and the race is even worse, not knowing if someone is gaining behind, not knowing if I'm making any progress compared to the leader... Just very blind feeling, if that's the expression people use. A spotter would be useful, or just the option to turn this list on somewhere in the car, it can be down on the door panel to not distract the driver, doesn't matter, you just glance at it anyway, but that info is crucial in the race.

Back