• Thread starter Jahgee
  • 221 comments

1969 Dodge Charger R/T

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1422405_851380121542378_5403273493097950388_n.jpg

Boyz plz :P

Mustang plz. :P

My first muscle-car love, when I was a little kid who loved noisy V8's and muscle cars. (Sorry @Slash)

Still Sub-Zero, because it's huge, aggressive and has a fantastic name.

At my work, I've driven Audi S4, etc., and I absolutely hate them... Why? Because they're too expensive. They're too scary to drive. They're too scary to lift. They are scary. One wrong move, you're either dead, fired, or in debt for the next six years for totaling a car with a pricetag in excess of $100,000.

What S4's are your bosses letting you replace tires on? Even loading it up with everything gets it a few hundred dollars into the 70k realm.

But, as I said in the poll, the car itself is Sub Zero... But it's going to be a trailer queen now. The value is sky-rocketing, while the availability is plummeting. My idea of a "best car" is one which is instantly fun to drive, even on a perfectly straight road with a speed limit of 50 km/h... A car which behaves like a car... And a car which is not intimidating to drive on the street, but is intimidating at the track...

"Fun to drive", on account of not being a measurable stat - sort of like coolness - is different for everyone, though.

But, it loses points for the other areas. "You don't meet your heroes" comes to mind. When I was 12 (a mere nine years ago), it was one of my bucket list cars. Then I realized that actually driving one would be a huge let down... Disappointing.

A Charger "behaves like a car" - you know, since it is one - though I can't shake the feeling you'd only be disappointed because you've given yourself completely different (some would even say unrealistic) expectations for the car. A floaty-suspensioned, weak-braked car can be an absolute blast, so long as you're not expecting it to behave like some sort of touring car.

My point exactly, actually. It's probably the most Sub-Zero car on the road, (pop-culture versions not withstanding) although I'm partial to the styling of the Challenger even more.

But, it loses points for the other areas. "You don't meet your heroes" comes to mind. When I was 12 (a mere nine years ago), it was one of my bucket list cars. Then I realized that actually driving one would be a huge let down... Disappointing.

Almost like sex with a supermodel... You expect it to turn out well, but in the end you're scared/nervous/anxious, and she doesn't respond the way you think. In the end, you enjoy looking at the supermodel, but you have more fun driving your normal car because it is relaxing and can be fun to drive, too.

Man I wish I could just know what it would be like to drive a car by sheer force of will and ignorance.

*facepalm*

Using the reverse logic that other members use on cars "Heavy iron 'merican brick so it is UNCOOL."

But it is a cool car for me.

In all seriousness, people with an inkling of experience deciding to talk like they've driven everything are the biggest problem with Internet discussions. They perpetuate stereotypes and entrench misconception. So counter productive...

At my work, I've driven Audi S4, etc., and I absolutely hate them... Why? Because they're too expensive.
They start right at under $50,000. Far, far scarier cars in Audi's model range to worry about the price tag.
They're too scary to drive.
What exactly is scary about it? 333Hp & 5 seconds to 60 isn't exactly heart pounding considering 300Hp has been the "benchmark" for most mid-size sedans for a while now.
They're too scary to lift.
You have to be well beyond the limits to be afraid to lift. Audi's AWD system is still one of the best at keeping the cars planted.
They are scary. One wrong move, you're either dead, fired, or in debt for the next six years for totaling a car with a pricetag in excess of $100,000.
Exaggerate much? :odd:

I have a feeling out of all the cars you've said to have driven, this is probably the pinnacle of your automotive journey behind the wheel with the MS3 not far behind it. Look, I get that yes, they are fun cars to drive, but you've barely scratched the iceberg of fear & adrenaline a car can bring if this is how you describe an S4. I'm surprised you don't describe your car with the same "enthusiasm" you do for the Audi considering you're trying to do things with it that Subaru never really intended your specific model to do much like how I found driving a LS-swapped 240SX beyond hair raising when I goosed it around corners or riding in a 1st gen. Miata at 60+ mph.

I went sideways in Audi's $1.3 million R8 e-tron prototype last year. I guarantee that was scarier than changing the tires on a run-of-the-mill sedan.

Cheeky. Most expensive thing I've driven was worth a tenth of that.

An S4 is scary? Damn. I'm surprised my heart didn't stop when we were caning a V8 Jaguar a few years ago...

They start right at under $50,000.

I think you and MrMel (and I, for that matter) possibly have different definitions of 'expensive'. On my income all new cars are expensive. I find the idea - having not actually done so, so pending future experience - of driving a £40,000 car even vaguely quickly to be a bit scary, because of the trouble I'd cause and the money it would cost if I bent it.

What exactly is scary about it? 333Hp & 5 seconds to 60 isn't exactly heart pounding considering 300Hp has been the "benchmark" for most mid-size sedans for a while now.

I can relate to where MrMel is coming from here. My normal, everyday mode of transport is a 998cc 1996 Nissan Micra. It has no power at all, but it does 50mpUKg, costs very little to repair and if I break it it doesn't matter. I'm currently changing the clutch in it so in the meantime I've borrowed my sister's 2001 Audi A3; it's a FWD diesel - not sure what engine size - but the mid-range punch has had me grinning like an idiot the last few days. It does 0-60 in a smidge over 8 seconds, but to me it feels like warp 9.

The point is that if you're used to old, slow cars like Micras or automatic Subarus, the S4 (or even an old A3) is mind blowing.

That said, I don't go around suggesting I know how every car drives despite having little or no experience of them, which I guess is what you're getting at here:

I have a feeling out of all the cars you've said to have driven, this is probably the pinnacle of your automotive journey behind the wheel with the MS3 not far behind it.

Aside from a brief drive in an Ariel Atom, the A3 is the fastest thing I've ever driven. If he or I had your car history I'm sure the S4 wouldn't be special.

Although I'm with you on the don't-talk-rubbish-about-cars-you've-no-experience-of thing.

Roo
I think you and MrMel (and I, for that matter) possibly have different definitions of 'expensive'. On my income all new cars are expensive. I find the idea - having not actually done so, so pending future experience - of driving a £40,000 car even vaguely quickly to be a bit scary, because of the trouble I'd cause and the money it would cost if I bent it.
In literal terms, yes, $50,000 is too expensive for most folks.

However, the issue with Mel claiming an Audi S4 is "too expensive" is because he also thinks it retails for 6 figures. Obviously, anything in that range is extremely expensive, but as far as Audis in general go, the S4 is pretty much a low-to-middle rung in Audi's lineup, price-wise. That's kind of my point regarding why I think that's a silly statement.

I can relate to where MrMel is coming from here. My normal, everyday mode of transport is a 998cc 1996 Nissan Micra. It has no power at all, but it does 50mpUKg, costs very little to repair and if I break it it doesn't matter. I'm currently changing the clutch in it so in the meantime I've borrowed my sister's 2001 Audi A3; it's a FWD diesel - not sure what engine size - but the mid-range punch has had me grinning like an idiot the last few days. It does 0-60 in a smidge over 8 seconds, but to me it feels like warp 9.

The point is that if you're used to old, slow cars like Micras or automatic Subarus, the S4 (or even an old A3) is mind blowing.

That said, I don't go around suggesting I know how every car drives despite having little or no experience of them, which I guess is what you're getting at here:
I've admitted before that I am a bit jaded when it comes to horsepower & what I consider to be scary fast. But, that's also why I asked what's so scary about it because I don't think "scary" is anyway the right word to describe a S4.

Aside from a brief drive in an Ariel Atom, the A3 is the fastest thing I've ever driven. If he or I had your car history I'm sure the S4 wouldn't be special.

Although I'm with you on the don't-talk-rubbish-about-cars-you've-no-experience-of thing.
The thing is that you don't need to experience the cars I've been in to know that describing the S4 as "One wrong move, you're either dead, fired, or in debt for the next six years" is just heavy exaggeration to a car enthusiast like yourself. It's an AWD Audi with 300hp, not a car with an infamous nickname such as "Widow Maker".
Porsche-996-GT2-014.JPG

Beyond that, a middle-weight all-wheel drive luxury sedan is not even going to be half as "scary" as a tail-happy, softly sprung Hyundai Genesis that costs half as much, or even a V6 Mustang.

Beyond that, a middle-weight all-wheel drive luxury sedan is not even going to be half as "scary" as a tail-happy, softly sprung Hyundai Genesis that costs half as much, or even a V6 Mustang.
Or even a Mitsubishi Mirage, in my experience...

@McLaren I think he means like a hydraulic lift of some sort, the second part you quoted kind of makes a bit more sense if so(minus $50,000)
That's exactly what I mean.

Customers will complain if they find the most minute scratch from using an air & hydraulic combined lift.

Even the guy who's been licensed for 16 years made a mistake when lifting a 2011 WRX, which caused both side skirts to pop off.

I haven't yet damaged a customer car with a lift... Only my own. :guilty: the idea of lifting a Charger like that (which @McLaren, does actually have a price tag of $100,000+) is exceedingly scary.

Edit: because if you drop a Charger, you actually will be fired/killed. I find it unnerving to lift big Audis, including the Q7 etc., but I would probably have a meltdown over one strange sound with the Charger.

The history of the classic car makes its value more than the sum of its MSRP.

Latest Posts

Back