GTP Cool Wall: 1969 Dodge Charger R/T

• Thread starter Jahgee
  • 221 comments

1969 Dodge Charger R/T

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well, have fun explaining to insurers how your obnoxiously loud car with steel chunks missing from your header and no backseat is as standard as it was when it was showroom fresh then.

I've never told them anything :lol:

Oops.

Part of me thinks you're too hung up on a workshop's definition of stock, not the literal definition.

Probably, I come from that.

If it didn't make a big difference in the sound, then people wouldn't do it. 💡

The only difference is that it gets about 200x louder :lol:

200x =/= a big difference? OK.

Setting aside that the actual increase in volume is maybe 3x... The car in the video you posted, with the open-header big block? I'd notice that from blocks away. The sound made by the stock 318 that Dagger posted probably wouldn't warrant me turning my head.

So, what's the difference between them? The significant increase in volume due to "shortening a piece of steal" [sic]. You pointed to sound as a factor in this car's coolness. Removing the exhaust is what made that car sound the way it did. Pointing out that that car wasn't stock seems hugely relevant to me.

200x =/= a big difference? OK.

Setting aside that the actual increase in volume is maybe 3x... The car in the video you posted, with the open-header big block? I'd notice that from blocks away. The sound made by the stock 318 that Dagger posted probably wouldn't warrant me turning my head.

So, what's the difference between them? The significant increase in volume due to "shortening a piece of steal" [sic]. You pointed to sound as a factor in this car's coolness. Removing the exhaust is what made that car sound the way it did. Pointing out that that car wasn't stock seems hugely relevant to me.
They sound good stock as it is, despite what I said earlier.

I can understand the point you guys are making but I don't agree until you start swapping out parts. Even then, you get into the mostly stock category.
So, in your eyes, this is a stock Aventador. No parts were swapped to gain this power, just changing up how the factory ECU works.
Hex-Flash-Aventador_zpsb7a303c5.jpg

Yeah, only a sandbagger would use your argument of what's stock & what isn't, and no one likes a sandbagger.

I don't see that as any different than advancing spark timing on a 318.

The motor doesn't have any go fast parts on it, sounds like a stock motor to me.

What's the difference if someone started one up on a palette? Is that motor not stock because it was taken out of a vehicle? :lol:

Because we're not discussing the sound and performance of the motor, we're discussing the sound and performance of the Dodge Charger.

The Dodge Charger's exhaust is part of the Dodge Charger. Changing the entire exhaust system of the Dodge Charger is not stock. Jesus.

Uncool.

It's a part of the unholy trinity of unoriginal muscle cars people flock to(along with the '67 Camaro and '65 Mustang), which means they are way overrated and have owners with egos to match.

Because we're not discussing the sound and performance of the motor, we're discussing the sound and performance of the Dodge Charger.

The Dodge Charger's exhaust is part of the Dodge Charger. Changing the entire exhaust system of the Dodge Charger is not stock. Jesus.
Picky picky picky :P :lol:

But... but... but... BARRACUDA?!?

Or at least the Duster... or Road Runner... or...
Prefer the Charger. It's comfortably one of the best-looking cars America has ever produced (others may be fancier or more racy, but none have the proportions or the menace). Also, formed the basis of the Charger Daytona. And was the baddies' car in Bullitt. All cool things.

Only exception to the Charger's coolness is any one painted orange with a Confederate flag on the roof. TV series or not, you look like a massive bell-end.

Geez, the amount of crap that is being flung at the Charger in this thread is kinda sad...coming from a Muscle Car guy.
Wait, what? The vast majority of people here have voted it either cool or SZ, and the only things people are really objecting to are the General Lee and the F&F car... which I don't really see any problem with.

Imagine driving it. You'd feel like an instant bad-ass.

Until someone asks why you haven't painted it orange and put on numbers on it. Been there done that, and it wasn't even a Charger. Believe me, not good.

A true American motoring icon. Sub-Zero. Imagine driving it. You'd feel like an instant bad-ass.
Exactly why I love muscle cars and old pickups. You just feel so cool in them, no matter how much you don't look like it to anyone on the outside.

Until someone asks why you haven't painted it orange and put on numbers on it. Been there done that, and it wasn't even a Charger. Believe me, not good.

If somebody would ask me why I didn't paint orange and put numbers on it, then that would make them seriously uncool, but not the car. It's still a raw ass kicker, a head turner, and one of the first cars that people think of when you say "American Muscle". It's an icon among icons.

Last edited:
Back