GTP Cool Wall: 1969 Dodge Charger R/T

• Thread starter Jahgee
  • 221 comments

1969 Dodge Charger R/T

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A toughie, this.

On the one hand, I love this era of Charger. If I was to buy a muscle car the Charger would probably be it, although it would be a tough call against the Camaro and 'Cuda. Bullitt helps, as does a V8 rumble, but it's mostly the ridiculous size, the hidden headlamps and the wide tail lights that do it for me.

However...

Try driving one here. It's too big, too much of a penis substitute and you'd look like a right pillock trying to thread one through a country road or crowded high street, especially if you tried parallel parking the thing. And that's without considering the please-please-PLEASE-pay-attention-to-me colours and the DoH/FnF connotations.

The more I think about it the worse it gets.

Seriously Uncool.

I still want one.

It took all the way until four pages before we started basing our votes on modded ones? Is this a new Cool Wall muscle car record?

I've decided on Uncool. Plenty of cooler cars from the era.

What the hell is the difference if you cut a pipe off or not? You're not changing any physical part.

Well, technically you are; if you're taking something off, that's changing it from what it originally was.

The exhaust note alone at idle is sub zero worthy.

Awesome video, but they're right, open headers don't count as stock.

I have, however, heard a stock one, and it is every bit as nice. I'll see if I can find a video.

You're shortening a piece of steal...oooo big :censored:ing whoop.

Well... you can spin it however you like, it still isn't a standard component. Not to be rude, but I don't really see how a sound video is gonna change anyone's opinion when the engine was probably in a bunch of other Chrysler Group cars at the time anyway.

6:25. It's a 318 under the hood, but the exhaust note is almost exactly the same.

Still sounds like crap :lol:

If it didn't make a big difference in the sound, then people wouldn't do it. 💡
The only difference is that it gets about 200x louder :lol:

Well... you can spin it however you like, it still isn't a standard component.

There's no component...everything is still stock. You guys are so damn picky about what you consider to be stock.

There's no component...everything is still stock. You guys are so damn picky about what you consider to be stock.

Stock means that the car is unmodified. Removing the exhaust is a modification because the car came out of the factory with an exhaust.

Still sounds like crap :lol:

The only difference is that it gets about 200x louder :lol:

Hey, now it sounds nice to me! The one I heard was a 392 though. It was quite a bit deeper.

I can understand the point you guys are making but I don't agree until you start swapping out parts. Even then, you get into the mostly stock category.

Yeah, sorry, but there are no ifs, ands or buts on this. Just because you've modified an existing part of your engine doesn't mean its still the same car that came out of the factory. Try applying that logic to something like a remap on a turbo car. No parts changed at all, just some nerdery on a computer. Would their owners still class them as a stock vehicle? Absolutely not.

Try and argue that with an insurance company.
huehuehue

...then you don't actually understand.

"Modified" isn't a gray area. A car either is, or isn't.

I do understand though. you do anything to a vehicle after it leaves the factory and it's not stock.

Ok. Sure.

But like I said, I don't agree until you start putting performance parts on it. Same thing with bumping base timing up or turning your distributor for gas mileage and what not.

By that logic my van must be modified because I put a clip on air cleaner in my vent, and that wasn't there stock.

But I'm not going to argue anymore.

Yeah, sorry, but there are no ifs, ands or buts on this. Just because you've modified an existing part of your engine doesn't mean its still the same car that came out of the factory. Try applying that logic to something like a remap on a turbo car. No parts changed at all, just some nerdery on a computer. Would their owners still class them as a stock vehicle? Absolutely not.

It's not even part of the engine, pipes are not required to make it run. Same thing if I did an EGR delete, not required to run (but that could be considered a mod).

You can argue semantics with air filters and EGR deletes, but you'd have to be pretty crazy to think that open headers is still stock or anything like it.

You can argue semantics with air filters and EGR deletes, but you'd have to be pretty crazy to think that open headers is still stock or anything like it.
The motor doesn't have any go fast parts on it, sounds like a stock motor to me.

What's the difference if someone started one up on a palette? Is that motor not stock because it was taken out of a vehicle? :lol:

It's not even part of the engine, pipes are not required to make it run. Same thing if I did an EGR delete, not required to run (but that could be considered a mod).

I used 'engine' loosely, as in its up in the engine bay. Irregardless of whether the drivabilty is unaffected or it doesn't provide any benefit other than vanity for the driver, if it isn't the same as it was when it left the dealer, it isn't stock. Simple.

If I took out my rear seats would that not count as modification?

Same thing
I wouldn't consider it a mod.

I used 'engine' loosely, as in its up in the engine bay. Irregardless of whether the drivabilty is unaffected or it doesn't provide any benefit other than vanity for the driver, if it isn't the same as it was when it left the dealer, it isn't stock. Simple.

And I said:

The motor doesn't have any go fast parts on it, sounds like a stock motor to me.

What's the difference if someone started one up on a palette? Is that motor not stock because it was taken out of a vehicle? :lol:

Well, have fun explaining to insurers how your obnoxiously loud car with steel chunks missing from your header and no backseat is as standard as it was when it was showroom fresh then.

Part of me thinks you're too hung up on a workshop's definition of stock, not the literal definition.

Back