United States
Orange County, NY
GTP_GT916
Nii916
1999-2004 Ford Mustang nominated by @SVT Cobra GT
1999-04_Ford_Mustang_coupe.jpg

Engines:
3.8L V6, 4.6L SOHC V8, 4.6L DOHC V8, 4.6L Supercharged V8, 5.4L V8
Power: Base: 190-193 hp; GT: 260 hp; Cobra: 320-390; Cobra R: 385 hp; Bullitt: 265 hp; Mach I: 305 hp
Torque: Base: 220-225 lb-ft.; GT: 302 lb-ft.; Cobra: 317-390 lb-ft.; Cobra R: 385 lb-ft.; Bullitt: 302 lb-ft.; Mach I: 302 lb-ft.
Weight: 1391-1715 kg
Transmission: 5-speed manual, 6-speed manual, 4-speed automatic
Drivetrain: Front engine, rear wheel drive
Body Styles: 2-door coupe, 2-door convertible​
57937514.jpg

STA70123.jpg

ct_mustang-roundup_svt-cobra_lead.jpg

2004_Ford_Mustang_Mach_1_by_Qphacs.jpg

2000-cobra-r-mustang.jpg

DSC00084.jpg

The main problem with these is that, just like the "I am not a Grand Am" SN-95 before them, it's difficult at a glance to determine whether or not your high trim 2001 Cobra is a 2001 V6. And instead of being because of any subtlety on the part of the faster models, it's just because the crappy V6 models are covered with fake scoops and vents that look like you bought them at Sears and are overwhelmingly more common.

Otherwise I always liked the styling of these. Sadly the last car in this segment to this day that was a modern interpretation of the halcyon days of the 60s rather than an awkward attempt at shoehorning retro elements into an otherwise modern shape (2015 Mustang) or just exaggerating retro design cues to the point of parody (Camaro).

Last edited:
I really like the Cobra R but apart from that most of them are very meh, so overall it's a meh from me.

I don't care what engine it has or how fast it is, it's a hideous pastiche of the original.

Seriously uncool.

This one has all of the awful things about Mustangs without any of the redeeming qualities of other generations of Mustangs. Seriously, hopelessly uncool.

And a Detroit Red Wings license plate. As if it couldn't get any worse.

I quite like these, and last time I was in the U.S. I have to say they looked pretty good on the road too - particularly the Bullitt one I saw. It's just a nice, fairly simple shape but still has a bit of attitude - and while the Mustang cues are there it's not simply a retro remake like the car that followed.

Cool though? Not really. Partly because no 'Stang is as cool as the original, and partly because along with F-bodies their relative inexpense puts them squarely in the market for utterly awful owners. They are, in effect, to American drivers what the Impreza Turbo is in the UK - a potentially great car rendered uncool by the oxygen thieves who drive them.

Raised above seriously uncool because it may one day rise above that level of indignation. I hold out hope the Impreza does likewise.

Last edited:
I like these enough, though find it hard to pinpoint why. I think I would've hated them back in the day but now in hindsight they are OK to me, even scraping a lower Cool (which I voted). Perhaps driving them in the GT series has put them more in my favour, not sure. Then again I would vote most Mustangs at least a cool (yes even second-gen) except for the new ones, which are so very MEH.

Meh at best. While the SVT Cobra R is nice, it's still William Shatner of Mustangs. Cool enough in the 60's, but after 30 years, has put on too much weight.

Nope. Owned primarily by fresh drivers who try to stoplight drag race everything around here because it's cheap.

Not my favorite Mustang gen.

Oops, hit SU by mistake. I should have allowed time to wake up first.

Back