GTP Cool Wall: 2011-2015 Chrysler 300

• Thread starter Wiegert
  • 105 comments

2011-2015 Chrysler 300

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't generally think of Chrysler's as especially cool cars, and the 300 simply amplifies the general "American cars are boats" stereotype by looks alone, even if it's decent to drive.

Uncool.

Despite the fact its predecessor was relatively popular around here, I don't think I've ever seen one. It isn't a bad looking car though, at least not before they released the new facelift which has its badge placed quite poorly.

But none of this will help when you tell somebody that the car you drive is made by the brand that's best known for a people carrier, PT Cruiser, and terrible 80s crapboxes. As funny as it may sound I think that the Lancia rebadge is actually cooler than this, not because it's a Lancia but because it's not a Chrysler.

Lost the mob boss Sopranos chic with the new model and to me it now just looks like a box with a slightly chopped roof.

Uncool. The Lancia Thesis model for Europe is a travesty.

In Europe at least, 85% of owners are minor criminals of one sort or another - or would like to be. That's an actual fact.

Then show me to actual statistic, but I'd be more likely to believe a drug dealer is driving around in any various SUV than one of these. And most of these I've seen driven are by Business types off to work at 6am in the morning the same time I'm off to work or school.

Keep in mind that in the UK this car was sold for 5 series money. Imagine a $60k 300 in the US and you start to get an idea of the kind of people who would buy this car.

It looks like a car a drug dealer would drive. On the cool wall, that's all that matters. Not a good wall, not a like wall, a cool wall.

I know exactly what wall it is, it's also not a "looks like this type of person would drive" wall either. Also not sure where the good or like bit comes into this.

On the cool wall it really isn't all that matters, as in "well I think drug dealers would drive this, so yeah uncool, forget everything else". I mean sure it your opinion but when it seems just outright goofy don't be surprised if it's called that. This is also not throw away all logic wall either.

Drug dealers are not cool.

If all I think of when I think of a car is "drug dealers pimps naff modifications with oversized wheels" then it's going to be seriously uncool (ie. Cadillac Escalade). However, with a Chrysler 300C I think "HEMI drug dealers pimps naff modifications with oversized wheels nice estate version", so it's only uncool.

Drug dealers are not cool.

If all I think of when I think of a car is "drug dealers pimps naff modifications with oversized wheels" then it's going to be seriously uncool (ie. Cadillac Escalade). However, with a Chrysler 300C I think "HEMI drug dealers pimps naff modifications with oversized wheels nice estate version", so it's only uncool.

No one said they were. The fact that you say this car goes hand and hand with it is silly, since there is no validation to it. It's like me saying every Rover in the states is driven by a rapper or I come out with a false stat and claim it fact "85% of the drivers, are in some form of music business or another".

Also not sure what Chrysler your talking about but if I had to guess the earlier one of the 300C sure, I've seen plenty of those with dub style going on all the time, or whatever other crap. I've yet to see any of these done that way, it's not an across the board thing where one gen to the next gen is all the same.

It's not who actually drives the cars. It's the aesthetic. The ostentatious nature of the 300C combined with the prevalence of images like this:

Midnight_Club_3_-_DUB_Edition_Coverart.jpg

in popular culture make the 300C seem like the sort of vehicle a drug dealer would drive. The estate version escapes this by being an estate.

For all I know 99% of 300Cs are driven by kindly old gentlemen in flatcaps, and to be honest they quite possibly are, but the cool wall is about the image, not the reality.

I know exactly what wall it is, it's also not a "looks like this type of person would drive" wall either.

It isn't, no, but plenty of people take that into account when they judge a car's coolness. That's their prerogative.

I don't recall you jumping on any member that made a crack about "footballer's cars".

On the cool wall it really isn't all that matters, as in "well I think drug dealers would drive this, so yeah uncool, forget everything else". I mean sure it your opinion but when it seems just outright goofy don't be surprised if it's called that. This is also not throw away all logic wall either.

All that matters on the Cool Wall is what a member thinks is cool or not.

Funnily enough, there's a (previous-gen) one in my neighbourhood with a garish two-tone paintjob, chrome detailing around the door openings (why is this a thing?!), two-spoke chrome rims (yes, really), and an overloud exhaust. On more than a few occasions, I've spotted it in the early hours of the morning, idling, waiting for a car to park behind it, only for the other car's driver to quickly converse with the 300C's driver, then get in their car to drive off.

Yep.

For this one? Uncool. I kind of like them, even if they've had the edges sanded off, but they're not particularly great cars. The competition just sets the bar low (Taurus, Impala, Avalon). Big, non-premium sedans just aren't very cool.

Previous model = cool
Previous model estate = sub zero
This model = meh

The estate was really cool. Not "I need to buy one" but my sight actually followed them when I spotted one.

The 300C as Drug Vanity Item stems from the pop culture references :

sddefault.jpg

Picture+1.png

those 2 are those which pop up directly into my head, and there are plenty more,....

It isn't, no, but plenty of people take that into account when they judge a car's coolness. That's their prerogative.

I don't recall you jumping on any member that made a crack about "footballer's cars".

I probably did, or those were threads where I was to busy to follow the conversation, but there have been plenty of times where an off hand remark on the coolness of a car caused my to say something. If it wasn't something about cars being driven by hairdressers primarily or eco nuts or whatever. Just cause you can't recall a time means what?

All that matters on the Cool Wall is what a member thinks is cool or not.

Uncool.

Then there would never be debates on the cool wall? Me arguing against his reasoning is an issue why?

The estate was really cool. Not "I need to buy one" but my sight actually followed them when I spotted one.

The 300C as Drug Vanity Item stems from the pop culture references :

sddefault.jpg

Picture+1.png

those 2 are those which pop up directly into my head, and there are plenty more,....

Don't recall the bottom one, but the top is easily recognized for me as breaking bad. I mean he drove an Aztek forever so are those the point a to b transports of drug dealers as well?

Also the bottom is a first gen, which I've said from the start is where the car got that gangster ideal from, but hasn't transitioned to the newest iteration. @Roger the Horse also posted up a first gen with the midnight club cover thus once again proving my point that the first gen cars influence is used to vote on this car.

Last edited:
The car is pretty popular where I live, the demographic is primarily hispanic males in their mid 20's. Not drug dealers or criminals, young guys with tattoos and slick hair, brand new clothes wearing hats with the tag still on. They like to trick them with car rims and car accessories.

None of that influences my judging of the car, I've always found them a bit cheesy but have never paid enough attention to them to cast a vote.

Me arguing against his reasoning is an issue why?

You're allowed to disagree, and say that you don't personally feel that your perception of might drive one influences your voting; but if you come along and say that my methodology is silly and wrong and trite, despite the fact that you apparently haven't understood what it was to begin with, then it becomes an issue. You're not having a debate.

If you came along and said "Personally it doesn't bother me if drug dealers might drive them. I'm sure plenty more drug dealers drive Ford Fiestas or Toyota Corollas", then you'd be having a debate; presenting your opinion as an alternative to mine rather than just dismissing mine and calling it wrong.

To me, coolness is a purely aesthetic thing. There's nothing rational about it, just as there's nothing rational about admiring a beautiful sunset or shedding a tear to a stirring song. If my judgement of a cars coolness is based off of who I think would drive one, be it James Naughtie, Jeremy Hunt, or Andrew Marr, that's entirely up to me.

Then there would never be debates on the cool wall? Me arguing against his reasoning is an issue why?

I'm not sure how you got either of those questions out of that statement. Re-read.

As @Ibonibo points out, pop culture commonly has a particular role for this car. It may not even be related to the general demographic the car actually services – pop culture rides seldom are – but that's not the point. Case in point: my girlfriend still refers to the R8 as the 'Iron Man car'.

Coolness has nothing to do with logic.

Back