GTP Cool Wall: Dodge Dart GT

• Thread starter BKGlover
  • 105 comments

Dodge Dart GT

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No, it's a fact. EVERY car has it, it's not 'cool' or anything. So lame. The only FWD car's that where nice where the '60s/'70s Toronodo and El Dorado because the uniqueness of the drive train layout (At the time), and massive V8s spinning those front tires.
The only nice FWD cars were the ones that went out of their way to accentuate that drivetrain layout's most abominable faults? How does that work?

The only nice FWD cars were the ones that went out of their way to accentuate that drivetrain layout's most abominable faults? How does that work?

Because, at the time, FWD was a fairly unique concept, and since those are luxury cars, I'm guessing it was used to provide increased interior space. Besides, they have other qualities that make them cool, such as how cool they make you look when you're driving around leaned back with one hand on the wheel and the other arm propped up on the windowsill.

Now 90% of the cars on sale now have FWD, and it's just annoying not being able to find a cheap RWD car not called "Mazda Miata".

Because, at the time, FWD was a fairly unique concept, and since those are luxury cars, I'm guessing it was used to provide increased interior space. Besides, they have other qualities that make them cool, such as how cool they make you look when you're driving around leaned back with one hand on the wheel and the other arm propped up on the windowsill.

Now 90% of the cars on sale now have FWD, and it's just annoying not being able to find a cheap RWD car not called "Mazda Miata".
Are we talking about how cool/uncool FWD is, or how nice/terrible it is? The quote line that led us here began with you stating how terrible it is, which is what led me to question Antonisbob's endorsement of two FWD cars that embody the qualities that make FWD terrible with a capital 'T'. It's like saying, "oh man I hate spicy food, but nuclear-grade chili that makes your tongue fall off is OK in my book." :lol:

I don't like FWD, so I don't care if anyone thinks they're cool or not. But I admit there are plenty of quick and/or nimble FWD cars out there, and you should too, because that's a fact.

You've gotta remember that there are 40 years of improvements in design, demands for fuel efficiency, comfort and performance that get in the way of everyone suddenly wanting to make rear-drive cars again. As much as some enthusiasts may demand that we go back, you can't exactly shove everything back into pandora's box.

The ideology of today is fairly straightforward; Minimize the number of platforms, engines, transmissions and basic parts to save as much money as possible. The amount of R&D required to develop a new rear-drive car just because some people might want to buy a few is more than enough for a lot of automakers to just say no, and it isn't as though we're any worse off for it.

Toyota will sell a good number of the FR-S/BRZs. In America, GM might get around to building the Code and having the Aussies do the development on it. But that's about all we'll get for "affordable" rear-drive cars. Outside of luxury or sporting options, its a novelty that targets a specific crowd, and they will continue to buy into it regardless of price.

For everyone else... They don't care. As long as it drives, feels comfortable, and they can fit five passengers with ease, it doesn't matter what wheels get the power. All-wheel-drive is where most of the attention will likely go.

The price part is actually the main sticking point. Back in the day of the original performance Darts, the equivalent of $20,000 or so got you a V8 and RWD. Now, if you want that kind of thing for less than $35,000 or so, you have to buy used, which means pre-abused.

The price part is actually the main sticking point. Back in the day of the original performance Darts, the equivalent of $20,000 or so got you a V8 and RWD. Now, if you want that kind of thing for less than $35,000 or so, you have to buy used, which means pre-abused.

I tend to refer to it as pre-enjoyed lol.

They didn't have the technologies that we have today. I'm sure if they existed back then, the price would more or less be the same. After conversions and such to today's money.

The used bit I understand, but nowadays, around here at least, almost all dealerships might buy reguardless, but don't put junkers on their lots anymore. Some do but they are the last-chance guys, and obviously owner-sale cars are a chance you take. With everything they look at anymore, the line between abused and enjoyed keeps getting wider.

But yes, the prices on everything are ridiculous.

If this car was RWD, it would be Subzero. IMO I think it lives up to the Dart name... (don't hit me guys :nervous:)

I can't vote now, but who cares, I like this one for a solid cool :)

To be honest, I really wish this were sold in Australia, if only because it looks good and as part of a popular segment could extend Dodge's life here.

This (predicted) model especially:

2012-dodge-dart-srt4_600x0w.jpg

Back