GTP Member's cars directory. What do you drive?

• Thread starter Avenger803
  • 4,035 comments

Do you like your car?

• My car is the best, much better than anyone else's!

Votes: 476 34.8%
  • Yep, it always starts, doesn't cost much, and I like it.

Votes: 564 41.3%
  • Well, it's kinda rusting, driving is kinda scary at times,doesn't look too good.

Votes: 68 5.0%
  • It's in the junkyard, or will be soon.

Votes: 13 1.0%
  • Car? what car?

Votes: 245 17.9%

• Total voters
I think JC sums it up nicely in the last sentence...

It's a matter of choice and personal taste.

I personally love the Monaro as it is, but I would probably never buy one.

Didn't I write that saying that in terms of ultimate, the V8 gets more power, the best L4s in the world are something like just over 1000hp, and that V8 is 7000hp. Look, the point is, bigger engines=bigger power.

Except it appears you used a purpose built race car that has an engine that pretty much needs to be replaced after it's run to make that point, which makes little sense to me. In terms of road going cars you do not need a bigger engine to make more power. The GT-R's engine puts out about the same as the Z06 but has a significantly smaller engine.

Wheels have never been good at launches, and with the Evo's AWD that's not a problem. On top end though the HSV is marginally quicker.

Didn't I write that saying that in terms of ultimate, the V8 gets more power, the best L4s in the world are something like just over 1000hp, and that V8 is 7000hp. Look, the point is, bigger engines=bigger power.
Um, that's not very true. Otherwise, Ferrari & Lamborghini V12s would be capable of pushing more power, but they're really not. Small V8s & Inline-6s have pushed more power through modifications more than the Italian V12s could.

I could say the same of people driving imports, as is often the case. The fact that you jumped on me after a little joke shows you have no respect, you didn't care what I really thought, you just bashed on me because I obviously like Holdens.

When the HSV Commodore 5.7 (VT) came out, it was M-power for half the price (don't quote me on this). I dig that.
I bashed on you because you sounded like an ignorent **** :sly:

The same could be said of import drivers: That they think anything with a V8 in it is instantly a POS dinosaur capable of nothing.

I don't care about import drivers, I'm talking completely impartially. Much as I love small, light and nimble cars, it doesn't mean I don't appreciate big powerful ones too. The most recent one that comes to mind was the matt black Brabus Bullet (V12 C-class) at the Brit motorshow. Not my usual taste but I'd love to give it a go. I'm also a fan of American V8 muscle and I may well have remarked in the past that I liked your Ute. I've spent a good bit of time trying to be helpful in your thread on it, if I wasn't interested in the car I wouldn't have bothered :sly:

However, none of this is relevant. What I was saying is that people who don't get the chance to drive a smaller engined car, take it to it's limits, extract every ounce of performance out of it, make use of skinny little tyres etc, are missing out on important skills when it comes to driving something with genuine performance. I'm not saying that you're like that, you clearly have your head screwed on the right way, but spending time making the best of small cars makes better performance car drivers in the same way that go-karters make better F1 drivers and 125GP riders make better MotoGP riders. So it's unfair to knock cars with smaller engines (or smaller cars in general) because these cars are very worthy steps to driving high performance cars, if driven the right way.

Except it appears you used a purpose built race car that has an engine that pretty much needs to be replaced after it's run to make that point, which makes little sense to me. In terms of road going cars you do not need a bigger engine to make more power. The GT-R's engine puts out about the same as the Z06 but has a significantly smaller engine.

This is true, but the Z06 sounds so much cooler.:P I'd love if they made the GT-R a bit louder, it's too quiet for what is currently one of the world's best engines. In terms of road going cars, it comes down to what engine noise you like, what driving characteristics you prefer. (Eg. Smooth NA power delivery, or violent kick of the turbo). I prefer the V8s, IMO they sound better, look cooler in the engine bay, and aren't as esily associated with the ricing fad/young hoons because they can't afford the V8s.

Reventón;3117929
Um, that's not very true. Otherwise, Ferrari & Lamborghini V12s would be capable of pushing more power, but they're really not. Small V8s & Inline-6s have pushed more power through modifications more than the Italian V12s could.

People have modified the Italian V12s? What crazy shinanigans!

When the HSV Commodore 5.7 (VT) came out, it was M-power for half the price (don't quote me on this). I dig that.
I bashed on you because you sounded like an ignorent **** :sly:

But I'm not an ignorant ****.;) Hopefully you realise that now, but I get that reaction quite often, some times because they instantly apply the stereotype of a Holden lover to me without getting to know me. I'm a Holden fan, but I'm not an idiot.:)

I don't care about import drivers, I'm talking completely impartially. Much as I love small, light and nimble cars, it doesn't mean I don't appreciate big powerful ones too. The most recent one that comes to mind was the matt black Brabus Bullet (V12 C-class) at the Brit motorshow. Not my usual taste but I'd love to give it a go. I'm also a fan of American V8 muscle and I may well have remarked in the past that I liked your Ute. I've spent a good bit of time trying to be helpful in your thread on it, if I wasn't interested in the car I wouldn't have bothered :sly:

However, none of this is relevant. What I was saying is that people who don't get the chance to drive a smaller engined car, take it to it's limits, extract every ounce of performance out of it, make use of skinny little tyres etc, are missing out on important skills when it comes to driving something with genuine performance. I'm not saying that you're like that, you clearly have your head screwed on the right way, but spending time making the best of small cars makes better performance car drivers in the same way that go-karters make better F1 drivers and 125GP riders make better MotoGP riders. So it's unfair to knock cars with smaller engines (or smaller cars in general) because these cars are very worthy steps to driving high performance cars, if driven the right way.

What about making use of country suspension, unbalanced weight, relatively average tyres, and RWD characteristics? I also learn in the work cars :lol:, and go-karts when I can.;)

(...)What about making use of country suspension, unbalanced weight, relatively average tyres, and RWD characteristics? (...)

Nailed that one... not easy, and hard to be fast with (if you consider cornering, and I do).

I actually learned to drive on a Datsun 1200 (not a UTE) which is kind of a mix between light and nimble with skinny tires, with "country" rear suspension and RWD characteristics. I used to love the rain because I could "power" slide it around 👍. But I sure couldn't be fast in the wet. It was either slow or fun tail hanging slowish.

Thinking about it, n4hs, you really need to get a properly sorted out small car, before dismissing them. Have you actually ever driven a 4 cylinder/ small capacity 6 with sporting pretensions?

Thinking about it, n4hs, you really need to get a properly sorted out small car, before dismissing them. Have you actually ever driven a 4 cylinder/ small capacity 6 with sporting pretensions?

Of course I have, I have driven a Focus XR5 Turbo, and it was pretty fun, but then I consider any sporty car pretty fun.:P I wasn't dismissing them at all, I was saying that I prefer large capacity engines (V6 and up). I don't deny that the smaller engines can certainly handle better in a lot of cases, and I believe the differences make for great battles (in a race). When the small capacity engines overtake in the corners and the V8 or what ever takes it back on the straight, it's awesome watching the driver's play to their strengths. The L4 (or what ever) guys go up the inside, and the V8 guys take a nice wide line to ensure the best charge on to the straight to utilise their big power and keep up the momentum. It really is awesome to watch

So you still have't driven a performance orientated 4 or small capacity 6 then :P

Quiet you.:lol: It's smaller than the small capacity 6. And might I remind you, the 3.0L 2-JZ engine was the main reason Supras handled badly, and I'm told the RB26 was not good for the GT-Rs either, being the only thing holding them back.

You hear some stange things.

Well the Supra engine was definitely bad for the car's handling. It's also the reason it can handle big power on stock internals. They were built strong, but heavy, and a heavy L6 engine has bad weight distribution, and is, well, heavy.

Leonidae was the one who told me the RB26 held the GT-Rs back a bit. Sure they were good, but could they have been better? I dunno, ask him. I took his word to be fairly accurate, he loves his GT-Rs, and knows a lot about cars.

Well the Supra engine was definitely bad for the car's handling. It's also the reason it can handle big power on stock internals. They were built strong, but heavy, and a heavy L6 engine has bad weight distribution, and is, well, heavy.

Yes the 2JZ is not the best engine for balance (Late JGTC Supra's which swapped to 3SGTE's will tell you that) but that's not what I was referring to.

You said Supra's handled badly (mostly because the engine)... Handled badly? Thats news to me and I have driven several of them both Turbo and non-turbo and I would hardly call them bad handlers. They do have a fairly strong natural understeer (as do most road cars) and do power oversteer but not as easy as some would believe but overall are good. If a Supra is a bad handler then the handling bar is much higher then I ever realised wow.

Leonidae was the one who told me the RB26 held the GT-Rs back a bit. Sure they were good, but could they have been better? I dunno, ask him. I took his word to be fairly accurate, he loves his GT-Rs, and knows a lot about cars

Then maybe he should come and explain what exactly he meant, only thing holding the GTR back?. If it is only because the engine could have been better, then that applies for every car and engine.

and knows a lot about cars

So does most who frequent these auto forums.

Yes the 2JZ is not the best engine for balance (Late JGTC Supra's which swapped to 3SGTE's will tell you that) but that's not what I was referring to.

You said Supra's handled badly (mostly because the engine)... Handled badly? Thats news to me and I have driven several of them both Turbo and non-turbo and I would hardly call them bad handlers. They do have a fairly strong natural understeer (as do most road cars) and do power oversteer but not as easy as some would believe but overall are good. If a Supra is a bad handler then the handling bar is much higher then I ever realised wow.

Then maybe he should come and explain what exactly he meant, only thing holding the GTR back?. If it is only because the engine could have been better, then that applies for every car and engine.

So does most who frequent these auto forums.

When compared to its rivals of the time the Supra didn't handle as well. (Skyline, WRX, Evo, RX-7 etc). I'm sure they're quite good though, being a sports orientated Coupé, but when compared to other cars of its type I hear they're not so great.
Ask Leo yourself if you're worried.

When compared to its rivals of the time the Supra didn't handle as well. (Skyline, WRX, Evo, RX-7 etc). I'm sure they're quite good though, being a sports orientated Coupé, but when compared to other cars of its type I hear they're not so great.

Well yes I agree, it was behind the rivals you list in handling but that doesn't make it a bad handler, and compared to many other cars in a similar class in the period outside of Japan it was not bad at all.

Ask Leo yourself if you're worried.

Worried? :lol:

Well yes I agree, it was behind the rivals you list in handling but that doesn't make it a bad handler, and compared to many other cars in a similar class in the period outside of Japan it was not bad at all.

True, my mistake, poor use of wording in my original posts. (I'd still take a 4th gen Camaro over it though.:P)

(I'd still take a 4th gen Camaro over it though.:P)

I probably would too (LS1 with T56 would be a hard choice) considering we don't see all that many 4th gens here.

Anyway to get this thread back on topic a little, I have a picture of a section of one of my cars in my profile (old pic though) :)

I probably would too (LS1 with T56 would be a hard choice) considering we don't see all that many 4th gens here.

Anyway to get this thread back on topic a little, I have a picture of a section of one of my cars in my profile (old pic though) :)

Umm, where, and how many cars do you own, and what are they? (You own an old-school Monaro don't you?)

I have four but only two worth noting, the car in my profile and my 1971 (HG) Holden Monaro GTS which is in many peices at the moment, I should be continuing work on it in the near future.

I have four but only two worth noting, the car in my profile and my 1971 (HG) Holden Monaro GTS which is in many peices at the moment, I should be continuing work on it in the near future.

Oh, in your profile, I thought you meant a profile picture.💡

Good! Captain slow will not feel lonely anymore in his panda :)

(NOTE: I AM KIDDING, YOU CAN HAVE WHATEVER CAR YOU LIKE, I'M NOT MOKING YOUR RIDE, I RESPECT EVERY MOTORING CHOICE, CONGRATS ON YOUR NEW CAR)

Good! Captain slow will not feel lonely anymore in his panda :)

(NOTE: I AM KIDDING, YOU CAN HAVE WHATEVER CAR YOU LIKE, I'M NOT MOKING YOUR RIDE, I RESPECT EVERY MOTORING CHOICE, CONGRATS ON YOUR NEW CAR)

Ok..... The Panda and 500 are quite popular over here!

Ok..... The Panda and 500 are quite popular over here!

Yes, with the fuel prices of today, I find myself wondering about buying a 2nd car to go to work every day. In my city I've been seeing a smart 4/2 epidemic. But that's not a real car in my book.

Note: smart owners please feel free to be ofended by me not considering a Smart a "real" car.

Last edited:
Thought it high time to add shots of my E36 3.23. Tis a 2.5 V6 with a few M3 additions like the wheels.

Cousin's modified Mini in front of the drive and my Golf for when i want to save money on fuel.

Last edited:
Some better pictures for reference of the thread;

car9tw9.jpg

car10le0.jpg

Back