GTP NASCAR EuroRacecar Series

• Thread starter Knelly
  • 65 comments
England
Reigate, Surrey
Knelly
dbglsz.png

To all who don't know, I've been working towards setting up the above series as part of the GTP NASCAR community.

This is based on an actual series which started two years ago, and in only it's third year, became part of the NASCAR franchise boasting races throughout Europe during some of other racing events (they run same weekends as DTM on at least two occasions for example).

Now the series includes 6 races, and this year they are at:
Nogaro (France)
Brands Hatch (England)
Spa (Belgium)
Tours Speedway (France)
Valencia (Spain)
Le Mans (France)

The schedule that we will be using will be:
Nurburgring GP/D (exact same distance as Nogaro with very similar layout, and was used IRL last season).
Tsukuba (Yes, it's not European but it's an almost exact layout to Brands, and virtually same distance).
Spa
Either Daytona or Joe's custom Oval (Tours is only a 1/3 mile oval, as is Joes, and has been briefly tested).
Monza (Closest thing I could get to Valencia)
Le Mans.

I have two current options for when to host this, and they would be either when GTP Indycar S2 ends (confirmed with Tom), or in the 'Off Weeks' during S4 of GTP NASCAR Sprint Cup. Whichever is chosen will more than likely be a 11:30 GMT start.

There will be two races per event. A Sprint race (no stops) and an Endurance race (one stop).

Now my biggest dilema is as follows. The current cars (Chevvy / Dodge / Ford) used have a 450 BHP / 1,170 KG / 4 Gear Setups / All FR Drives.

So there are problems with the cars that fit more into these categories, and the ones I would like to use are:
Dodge Viper GTS-R Team Oreca Race Car #51 '00
Dodge Viper GTS-R Team Oreca Race Car #91 '00
Ford GT LM Race Car Spec II (MR Drive)
Ford GT LM Race Car Spec II Test Car (MR Drive)
Chevrolet Camaro LM Race Car
Chevrolet Corvette C5-R (C5) '00

Now these have not been tested yet, other than for weight and bhp, but they all look cool, set into race spec and would be a lot of fun to drive.

The alternative obviously is to use the actual NASCAR's in the game, which don't go low enough in BHP or Weight to be realistic to the IRL series.

What do you guys think we should use.

Remember, that this series is just a supporting series to the others and only there to further grow the GTP NASCAR brand and have some fun.

Hope you got my PM. By the way, name a time and place and I'm happy to help you test mate 👍

I did Tom, thanks mate.

Working full time again now so I have limited time on GT right now. We have time though 👍

Wouldn't Motegi be a better option then Daytona because it's much shorter? And it's purchasable as of now I believe.

I looked at some info and pictures of the real life series and maybe for cars the Dodge Challenger TC, Chevy Camaro RM, and Ford GT LM would work? the challenger and camaro bodykits are used in the series along with the mustang. maybe the Ford Falcon XR8 instead of GT LM?

EDIT: Challenger and Camaro are not far from 1170kg, Falcon is a pig at 1350 but I'm sure it could be made competitive

Last edited:
rustyMercedes
I looked at some info and pictures of the real life series and maybe for cars the Dodge Challenger TC, Chevy Camaro RM, and Ford GT LM would work? the challenger and camaro bodykits are used in the series along with the mustang. maybe the Ford Falcon XR8 instead of GT LM?

My suggestions to Knelly via PM were Ford XR8, Camaro LM, Challenger TC and ISF RM. Mustang would be way too slow so the Falcon is th next best thing the way I see it.

Sure thing man, plenty of time to plan 👍

rustyMercedes
yeah its too bad there isn't a Mustang RM or TC or a gran turismo created LM car...

Yeah definitely, i've said this many a time.

Interest checked here :sly: I like this series. I have some ideas for this Knelly, ill PM them to you tomorrow afternoon.

...You had me at "Camaro"...
Same here :lol:

This would be a nice change of scenery.

I like the car variety in the OP. If the Falcon XR8 could be competitive with it's extra weight, I think it would be a good addition. As for the Challenger TC, I don't think it will be very competitive due to it's lack of Downforce.

I love this idea. 👍 I have a Camaro LM car that has a paint scheme that bears a resemblance to Dale Earnhardt's car.

If the Falcon XR8 could be competitive with it's extra weight, I think it would be a good addition. As for the Challenger TC, I don't think it will be very competitive due to it's lack of Downforce.

It would be nice to have the Falcon instead of the GT to have a front-rear only grid

Thanks for all the input guys, very promising that we should get a decent field together.

As Niop said, the change of scenery with these race cars (as they are promoted IRL, rather than Stock or Muscle) should make for a lot of fun around some of these tracks. We already have IROC and Thunder which is why I didn't choose the cars that are used in these series. The Challenger TC (when comparing stats) was evident it would never compete, and I want to keep as close to realism as GT will allow me.

I hadn't considered however, the Falcon (only looked in the Ford tabs 'DOH') which although it is heavier, is already setup in race spec and would be great to see if this competes.

As the Challenger TC is just too inappropriate to compete against the others, then the Vipers are the only Dodges that fit the bill. They of course are not in the IRL series, and will look different, but at least we can have Dodge in there.

Therefore, this is where I currently stand in terms of cars:
Dodge Viper GTS-R Team Oreca Race Car #51 / #59 (x4)
Ford Falcon (x4)
Chevrolet Camaro LM Race Car (x4)
Chevrolet Corvette C5-R (C5) '00 (x4)

I would like to test these after Chase 1 at Daytona on Saturday, and will choose a couple of different tracks on the schedule (including maybe Montegi), and you are all welcome to join.

If of course this demonstrates that they would not be competitive with each other, then we have time to look at alternatives.

Knelly despite what my PM says about the car selection, these race cars are competitive against each other. I have raced this exact selection in another series (Trans Am S3 2011) and it worked well. But we had to spend time balancing the cars out. So I'm not sure if this selection will work at these specs. You may need to raise the weight or hp or a combination.

I have raced this exact selection in another series (Trans Am S3 2011) and it worked well.

Is that Trans-Am series going to be back anytime soon?

I put together a car list for a '90s trans-am series/spot-race that was the Corvette, Camaro, Falcon, and Viper, plus the Panoz GTR-1 and Mazda RX-7 LM (GT5 race car has same 3-rotor engine used by trans-am RX-7 IRL and looks very similar)

I put together a car list for a '90s trans-am series/spot-race that was the Corvette, Camaro, Falcon, and Viper, plus the Panoz GTR-1 and Mazda RX-7 LM (GT5 race car has same 3-rotor engine used by trans-am RX-7 IRL and looks very similar)

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=219924

Thats the old thread it died a long painful death, we tried lots of combinations but was hard to balance.

Several of the original 'Trans Am guys' are currently putting together a vintage series. It should be starting up very soon, we've been having discussions here:

SCCA Trans Am Series

Edit: Kinda jumped on answering his question, really wasn't an intentional solicit, my apologies to OP

Last edited:
I like the sound of the list as it sits. The RM cars are already used too often, IMO, and it's nearly imposable to find a good 'standard race car' race. I love driving the Camaro LM, C5-R, and the Team Oreca's. Good choices.

We already have the real NASCAR's in two if our affiliated series, and the selection is the closest we can get to real life with GT5's limitations.

We already have the real NASCAR's in two if our affiliated series, and the selection is the closest we can get to real life with GT5's limitations.

The old NW concept?! We had some tremendous competition with them, Mustang, Challenger, Camaro at 453hp IIRC...

Furinkazen
The old NW concept?! We had some tremendous competition with them, Mustang, Challenger, Camaro at 453hp IIRC...

I thought it never happened though?

I thought it never happened though?

If I remember it didn't happen after two consecutive weeks of lag fest and no clue the game removed grip and increased tire degradtion. But the car specs were great IMO.

Back