GTP NASCAR SPRINT CUP S3 Champs: RFLX_Niop, Joe Gibbs Racing, Toyota

• Thread starter MustangRyan
  • 3,094 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
(but did call out if you wanted me to leave you two alone, as I was a lap down) - I knew you were a lap down, that didn't matter to me. I wanted to push hard. I did pull some 45.5xx laps!!!

"The Left Side Spin" - This is why I have been adjusting a little to squaring up more on the right side of the car in front of me in the turns, like they do IRL when pushing/bump-drafting

👍

I gave both you and Mudd some hard bumping through that spell (but did call out if you wanted me to leave you two alone, as I was a lap down).

I remember this, and asking about bumping is a good habit to have, especially late on a tire stint. I believe my response was something along the lines of "KNOCK MY 🤬 BUMPER OFF KNELLY, LET'S GO!!!"

XWCp9.jpg

OFFICIAL Budwesier Shootout Results:

1. #18 ACDCROCKS123
2. #99 Tom_97_COD
3. #83 RedPartyHat
4. #88 Mudd
5. #20 M-Stall41
6. #20 Droptop2001gt
7. #24 CrAzY_bAsSiSt_83
8. #43 Furinkazen
9. #24 DriveTheGuard88
10. #43 JoeOfTheFire
11. #42 Knelly
12. #11 Dexter_White5150 (assessed a 10-lap penalty for altercation on lap 49)
13. #83 MULE_9242 (assessed a 10-lap penalty for altercation on lap 3)
14. #48 dowhat13

Last edited:
I remember this, and asking about bumping is a good habit to have, especially late on a tire stint. I believe my response was something along the lines of "KNOCK MY 🤬 BUMPER OFF KNELLY, LET'S GO!!!"

Word for word as I remember it :dopey:

OFFICIAL Budwesier Shootout Results:

1. #18 ACDCROCKS123
2. #99 Tom_97_COD
3. #83 RedPartyHat
4. #88 Mudd
5. #20 M-Stall41
6. #20 Droptop2001gt
7. #24 CrAzY_bAsSiSt_83
8. #43 Furinkazen
9. #24 DriveTheGuard88
10. #43 JoeOfTheFire
11. #42 Knelly
12. #11 Dexter_White5150 (assessed a 10-lap penalty for altercation on lap 49)
13. #83 MULE_9242 (assessed a 10-lap penalty for altercation on lap 3)
14. #48 dowhat13

Awww come on, surely someone else deserves a ten lap penalty? I want to get in the top 10 due to being the unluckiest driver out there on Saturday :sly:

Knelly
Awww come on, surely someone else deserves a ten lap penalty? I want to get in the top 10 due to being the unluckiest driver out there on Saturday :sly:

I will be happy to pass that torch.... Saturday's race was a little messy for everyone, so the "black cloud" is still looking for a new home. :sly:

I could give a penalty to the guy that spun Crazy out with 8 laps to go, but I think that gets you 12th instead of 10th. :lol:

Just thinking back to the race, all I can remember seeing is accidents happening in front of me and having nowhere to go but into the smoke. I honestly didn't even realize that I finished 6th, until compiling the results. What a weird race.

Also, ACDCROCKS123 deserves recognition for winning his second straight Budweiser Shootout, and becoming the first person to win 2 exhibition races, with 5 total exhibition races now completed.

Yeah, it really was. Same for me but I seem to remember just unable to avoid getting tagged incident after incident, until I lost too much ground. Bring on Saturday, that's what I say.

I think Saturday will be interesting. I'm sure most teams are planning on doing a conventional 33 lap stint. While we know we can make 38 laps, so I'm sure many others will be trying for 40 lap stints. And with some calculations, a 50 lap stint may be possible or a little short. So we are now looking at 3-5 stop strategies being played out at once on track during the 500.

I think the teams that can master a 40 lap or 50 lap strategy will haven taken next step to a higher level of skill/tuning in this league. I can't wait to see which strategies play out as planned on Saturday. As one or two incidents may alter a 40 or 50 lap stint and thus making the 33 lap stint once again the most conventional as it allows room for errors.

In all, I would like to have a full pack battling for the win on the last lap. We have been reluctant to have seen this in our series.

I think I already know what two teams will be attempting.

One of the other teams, I'm not sure about but as a four car team it would be interesting to see if they split their tactics up into two different ones.

One other team out there, I really don't know but can hazard a guess.

As for SGR .... no comment :sly:

Ford will be testing if 50 laps is possible for us at some point this week. I'm sure we can easily manage 40 if not. (Figured I'd say this since I've already mentioned about 50 laps a few times)

Ford will be testing if 50 laps is possible for us at some point this week. I'm sure we can easily manage 40 if not. (Figured I'd say this since I've already mentioned about 50 laps a few times)

Did you come to this conclusion though while you where driving solo? Big difference than with a pack. Or your aero package may slow your car down too much where it won't hang with the lead pack. Whats your thoughts?

I'm going by my tyre wear in the shootout, where 35 laps was still possible despite the accident with dowhat, where I slid for a decent distance (I pit at just over half distance in the race, but the remaining tyre would have gotten me to 35). The aero I ran in that race was 20 45 (minimum aero, with +5 on the rear to calm some slight oversteer).

I have a rough idea how much slower I'd run with full aero compared to minimum aero, but only running solo. If all Fords are running the same aero, this should still be slower by the same amount when compared to a pack of 3 running minimum aero. With full aero we'd be 0.9 seconds a lap slower than with minimum, though not if we had anyone in front of us to draft off of.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly in Season 2 of the Sprint Cup, MustangRyan won the 500 using a 3-stop pitstop.

That was with the old tire model though. The setup I used that day would need to 5-stop the very same race today.

In a change of plans, Furinkazen will be in the #43 Best Buy Ford for the whole of this season. For longer races Furi will start and park, but will still drive for points as he seeks to secure a place in the chase.

Just thinking back to the race, all I can remember seeing is accidents happening in front of me and having nowhere to go but into the smoke. I honestly didn't even realize that I finished 6th, until compiling the results. What a weird race.

Also, ACDCROCKS123 deserves recognition for winning his second straight Budweiser Shootout, and becoming the first person to win 2 exhibition races, with 5 total exhibition races now completed.

I was going to win the last Bud shootout but I went in the wall on turn 4. But I came in 3rd!

In a change of plans, Furinkazen will be in the #43 Best Buy Ford for the whole of this season. For longer races Furi will start and park, but will still drive for points as he seeks to secure a place in the chase.

That's great news, and gives you a much better chance to make the Chase field. A few points for those four races will be a lot better than none. Your best chance to make the Chase field is probably to pile up a lot of points on the road courses, or just steal a win on one of them to grab one of the two wild card spots. 👍

That's great news, and gives you a much better chance to make the Chase field. A few points for those four races will be a lot better than none. Your best chance to make the Chase field is probably to pile up a lot of points on the road courses, or just steal a win on one of them to grab one of the two wild card spots. 👍

Every point is going to count this season.

Every point is going to count this season.

Very true, I believe.

As a reminder to all drivers and owners, the top EIGHT drivers in points automatically qualify for the Chase at the end of the 10-race regular season. These eight drivers will be reset to 300 points, plus 3 points for each victory notched during the 10 races in the regular season.

The ninth and tenth Chase positions will be wild card entries, going to the drivers with the most race wins** from those drivers outside the top 8 in points. These two drivers will also be reset to 300 points, but will not get the three bonus points for their regular season wins.

**If a wild card spot is still available and no remaining non-Chase driver has a race win, the driver with the most total points will secure that wild card Chase entry.

All ties in points will be broken by most total wins. If the number of wins is the same, the tie-breker becomes the most total runner-up finishes. If that's the same, most third place finishes, etc, until a tie-breaker is found.

After consulting with the owner's panel, the official start time for this weekend's race has been determined. By a vote of 3 (JGR/Ford/SGR) to 1 (HMS), the race will start at the following time:

Regular Season Race 1 of 10: The Daytona 500
200 laps at Daytona International Speedway, on Saturday, March 24th, 2012
-Room opens for Practice at 5pm EDT/9pm GMT
-Qualifying begins at 5:45pm EDT/9:45pm GMT
-Green Flag at 6pm EDT/10pm GMT

Boooo

Time to start buttering up other household members.

The other options were earlier. You got the latest start time offered. Remember, we're already starting an hour later over here in North America. ;)

That would have been the one I voted for, but I was waiting for a reply from RPH first.

:confused: yea, I thought that's the time he was pushing for. I think Crazy said he couldn't race at the later time, so this should be...um...interesting. That reminds me, Crazy, you nominated me as the Hendrick spokesman, so that means NO BLOWING UP on these guys over the decision. :D We will have to figure something out.

Mudd
:confused: yea, I thought that's the time he was pushing for. I think Crazy said he couldn't race at the later time, so this should be...um...interesting. That reminds me, Crazy, you nominated me as the Hendrick spokesman, so that means NO BLOWING UP on these guys over the decision. :D We will have to figure something out.

Knelly wants to run thirty minutes later, his time, which would currently push us 90 minutes past our regular start time.

EDIT - You need a more clever name for your team position. Can't you be something like the "Public Relations Director" for HMS? Knelly is something like the "Nationwide Competition Director" for SGR, I think.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back