GTP_WRS Week 145 : Old School Suzuka *GT5 Finale* - Submission Instructions Updated!

• Thread starter EDK
  • 203 comments
I understand how you feel Mitch, I wasn't expecting to be this far ahead. It's probably because the other aliens haven't given the combo a run yet. I even had to triple check my specs to make sure it was all correct, and it was. Here's my work in progress setup if anyone wants to use it. :)

-1/12
9.8/10.1
4/5
4/5
7/5
1.8/0.8
0.00/-0.10

5/25/5

5/6 Brake Balance

Make sure to install Chassis Reinforcement (Chassis Improvement)! It worked well in the Autumn Ring seasonal and it works great here.

Maybe a typo in the splits :lol:

Thanks for the tune Andrew. Gave it a go last night. First without chassis reinforcement be cause i never ever used it for some reason and after that with. You can feel a big difference. Only weird thing is, i did about the same lap time :grumpy: :lol: But have to say. I still haven't done a lap that i is only a bit of consistence. If i do a decent T1 & 2 i make a big mess of T3 and the other way around :banghead:

This car is 'quite difficult' to drive quickly. That's being VERY diplomatic - last night there would have been multiple 4 letter words involved as I quit in a fit of RAGE :lol:

I'm having real problems getting any sort of consistent laps going as I'm finding my trail braking style doesn't work with this car and I'm frequently running wide or half spinning in turn 1 and/or Degner 1... this car really shows up how incorrectly weight transfer is modelled in GT5 - real cars do not oversteer when you release the brakes FFS!

I'm also interested what gear people are using for the exit of Spoon - I accidentally ran some laps with custom transmission, and with that, 3rd worked perfectly. But with the stock gearbox 3rd feels too long to get a good exit, and 2nd feel a bit short.

Exactly what wanted to say. Thanks for being diplomatic i would have used some other words be cause i'm not so diplomatic :lol:

I think i can say i know my way around Suzi but with this car it feels like i'm back in 2009 when i first started out with GT and hated Suzi be cause i just couldn't pull off any good corner :lol:

Nice splits Baron 👍 Hope i can match that :nervous:

My first splits. I have at least 0.5 in this, just could not string it together.

And my revised tune. I think I'll regret this. :dopey:

EDK Tune
Added Chassis Reinforcement
RH -19/-17
Springs 12.5/13.5
Dampers 1's front 2's rear
ARB 6/4
Camber 2.5/1.5
Toe 0.0/-0.10
LSD 8/19/7
BB 4/5
ABS 10

@Stotty Turn 1 commentary...........
It's more about throttle off oversteer than brake release oversteer, feed a bit of throttle in and the car is OK with the release of the brake. Also, the Decel LSD is a big factor here, along with rear toe, camber, ARB and spring rate. If you don't have it dialed in just right, it's scary.

Last edited:
It's a shame there's not more takers for this week. It's a fun combo. Here's my best splits so far.

1'00.017

Wow, now it's warming up. Great splits Kevin and Viper 👍

I might get another quick shot at this tonight but then will be "oooop norf" for the weekend so won't get another shot until Monday/Tuesday.

I'll have a go at this one, just to wave good old GT5 goodbye
wave2.gif

EDK
@Stotty Turn 1 commentary...........

It's more about throttle off oversteer than brake release oversteer, feed a bit of throttle in and the car is OK with the release of the brake. Also, the Decel LSD is a big factor here, along with rear toe, camber, ARB and spring rate. If you don't have it dialed in just right, it's scary.

It's not throttle release oversteer (AKA lift off oversteer)... trail braking in to turn 1 the car wants to understeer if you use too much brake, but easing off the brakes causes oversteer... this is not realistic behaviour! This car should oversteer on the brakes whilst turning (as long as the brake pressure isn't too high) as the weight shifts forward and unloads the heavier rear. When the brake is released, and weight shifts rewards, this should result in understeer.

This particular 'feature' of the GT5 physics engine has always irritated me; it's the key reason I think GT5 was a backwards step and GT5P's physics were much more realistic - along with GT5P having a more clearly defined grip limit rather than the permanent 'always sliding to some extent' feeling of GT5.

I am using some 'throttle drag' to manage the reverse (incorrect) weight transfer, but this tends to make the front wash out as well.

Anyhow, I've now adopted a different approach to Turn 1, braking a bit earlier and taking a straighter line in to the 1st apex. Doesn't feel right, but results in less aborted laps and I did hit a new T1 PB of 48.118 last night (with more to come).

I can't stop trail braking to some extent though as it's habitual, so I'm having to use a 5,5 BB and a bit of LSD decel (which I've never used on any car other than the Yellowbird previously).

Doodle's tune has a good balance, but for the less skilled (and pad users) I'd recommend...

Lower LSD accel (15-20)
Even or front biased BB (5,5 or 6,5)
Add a bit of LSD decel (c.10-12)

You can also make the rear toe less -ve if you're really struggling, but I'd avoid this if you can and it will make the car understeer even more than it already does mid corner.

ps; my Gyte 'progressive brake spring' arrived this morning, so I'm looking forward to fitting this at some stage in the near future and seeing how it affects braking :)

Fancied a go at this but can't win the car - can only manage 3rd in the Tokyo race on the seasonal.

Until GT6, then! Adios!

Fancied a go at this but can't win the car - can only manage 3rd in the Tokyo race on the seasonal.

Until GT6, then! Adios!

Matt, I know you'll hate the idea but you could always turn on SRF just to get the thing won and done. I won't look honest ;)

What a difference a day makes :lol:

Was a bit conservative in T2/3 as I'd binned a better lap than this on the previous lap by getting overexcited by how far I was ahead of my ghost at T2 and overshooting Casio.

Last edited:
Staying in 3rd through the esses now, and using first to exit the hairpin. Since last posting about .8 better as my T3 was not very good as I have come to realize. I am staying in 2nd thru Casio now.

I had a .3 in first 2 sectors and threw it away by over shooting Casio.

Now staying in 3rd coming out of Spoon.

Last edited:
What a difference a day makes :lol:

Was a bit conservative in T2/3 as I'd binned a better lap than this on the previous lap by getting overexcited by how far I was ahead of my ghost at T2 and overshooting Casio.

I think you mistyped your T1 time, or you found a magic way thru the esses.

Is my 10 second short-cut not allowed then? :lol:

Edited.

Don't use 1st for the hairpin... exiting in 2nd is a lot quicker. Only use 1st on the way in to control your speed 👍

Until GT6, then! Adios!

Matt, I've got $20m sitting in my wallet and this is the last GT5 event...so I've bought you a brand new Muira. Should be in your inbox in a few minutes mate.

PS: I threw some paint, oil and tyres at it too... Thanks for all the great competition over the last 130+ weeks :cheers:

Edit: :banghead: Can't send the damn thing!!! Sorry mate

Matt, I've got $20m sitting in my wallet and this is the last GT5 event...so I've bought you a brand new Muira. Should be in your inbox in a few minutes mate.

PS: I threw some paint, oil and tyres at it too... Thanks for all the great competition over the last 130+ weeks :cheers:

:banghead: Can't send the damn thing!!!!

Of course not it's way above the 1 mil :boggled: otherwise already would have send him one :)

Completely forgot about the $1m limit :dunce:. Bob is taking said car to the GVS enduro now.

Do I need to put a tune on it as well, or can a recipient tune a shared car?

Recipient can put whatever tune they want on it, but if you want chassis reinforcement you'll have to add that 1st.

Thanks Chris. Consensus seems to be that it's better with it fitted - correct? If so, I'll fit it before sharing...

I have it fitted on mine and I think Andrew (Doodle) does too 👍

Had a session with this car and still trying to get the hang of it. Agree with what others have said about gearing, especially in the Spoon curve. My T2 time is terrible so I'm sure I'm taking a wrong line there or in the hairpin, but at least I'm in the ballpark. (Maybe I should search the archives to find out what the right lines are on this track)

Much more experimenting to be done with this combo... frustrating but fun at the same time :)

Slowly getting the hang of it. But took me a lot of laps. Has bin a while since i needed so many laps to get the hang of it and be a little consistence. Hope i can keep up the feeling in the next days and improve a bit more

Kev please use an easy car to drive for the next one, please :lol:

DTM
Slowly getting the hang of it. But took me a lot of laps. Has bin a while since i needed so many laps to get the hang of it and be a little consistence. Hope i can keep up the feeling in the next days and improve a bit more

Kev please use an easy car to drive for the next one, please :lol:

Nice T2 Dennis 👍

Latest Posts

Back