GTPlanet Vinyling ClubMusic 

• Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 941 comments
Damn I just found out the 3 song picture disc of Ozzy's Mr. Crowley, Crazy Train and Suicide Solution is worth $80, and $100 new.....I got it appraised last year for $5 lol

From what I've seen, any picture disc tends to be worth more. This one dude a the flea market has a bunch, a few Maiden ones for like $50+. First time seeing them I thought they where clocks. :lol: Now I'd love to own a few but the price is a big turnoff.

From what I've seen, any picture disc tends to be worth more. This one dude a the flea market has a bunch, a few Maiden ones for like $50+. First time seeing them I thought they where clocks. :lol: Now I'd love to own a few but the price is a big turnoff.

I agree. But it makes the ones I have feel like they are worth more. Which, they are haha. One of these days I'll get pictures of the full size ones, I've got way too many 45's for pictures haha

Awesome thread! I've collected for years and have amassed quite an extensive collection.

Many handed down from my parents collection, many I collected on my own

My favorites are:

original Relaxin' With The Miles Davis Quintet

Looking For The Heart of Saturday Night
- Tom Waits

Illmatic - Nas

original Meet The Beatles

original Harvest - Neil Young

Bright Size Life - Pat Metheny

Darkness On The Edge Of Town - the Boss

and a scratch/sample record shaped like a buzzsaw : )

Finally sorted out my technics 1210 :D:D. Hidden unscrewable auxiliary weight on the back was the root of months of confusion and hardship. Now to buy some decent speakers and I can finally start to build a nice collection.

Coki - Haymaker/Revolution (god awfully mastered, such a shame :ouch:)

:indiff: Was just about to buy that...

don't do it, haymaker has like ZERO bass, seriously, first time i played that on a system, i thought i turned down the bass or something.

Ordered the most recent 7" from Desaparecidos, "Anonymous / The Left is Right". Just last night I was saying this band should be releasing some new material this year, wake up the next day and this is released! Desaparecidos is one of Conor Oberst's (of Bright Eyes) side-projects. They formed in 2001, released a single album in 2002 then broke up only to recently re-unite and release a 7" last year along with a few shows across the US and, this year, Europe.

anonymous2.gif

Sorry for the belated double post but Record Store Day was a few weekends ago, so did anyone manage to get some bargains and rare records? I went to a few record stores in my city and picked up a few records for a discounted price (one store was doing 30% off). I picked up "No Control" by Bad Religion, "Cassadaga" by Bright Eyes, my favourite pick of the day due to the Grammy award winning artwork which comes with a spectral decoder, I also picked up Elliott Smith's self-titled and "Our Mother the Mountain" by Townes Van Zandt.

Here's my latest vinyl purchase, Atoms For Peace - Amok Deluxe edition:

cvD2X8t.jpg

Missed out on Record Store Day, kinda wanted that White Stripes reissue of Elephant but I'm pretty sure some scalper would've snapped up all the copies anyway. Currently looking out for the discbox of In Rainbows.

Sorry to bring a thread from the dead but I've always listened to music from being a baby to adulthood (thought I'm told in my case there isn't much of a difference).

Anyway most of that music was via vinyl. My dad bought his main deck before I was born and still has it today. Well it's been passed to me as the belt rotted and he could find another one (he didn't look hard enough).

So I've decided to pull it from the loft and restore it. It was put together by hand so didn't come as a complete deck. The tone arm is an SME 3009 with an Ortofon VMS 30 Mk 2 cartridge.

I'm not sure what the motor/platter portion of the deck is yet. But as I strip it I'll find out. I'll be looking for advice from the vinyl nuts here. I'll take my time to get this right.

Now pics of the dirty deck.

Great time to bring the thread back up, with Record Store Day coming up on the 19th! There's going to be some interesting releases, as usual. Check out the official website for details on artist releases and participating stores. I'm not sure if I'm going to be doing much shopping this year, hopefully though I can pick up the split 7" Conor Oberst is doing with Dawes.

Even better is that an indipendant record shop has opended in my local area so I'll be able to get stuff a little bit easier.

I'm hoping to restore the deck.

I'm going to chnage it for a bamboo plate and acrylic platter. Tone arm cartridge and motor hopefully will be restored to thier former glory. Aparently the cartridge is a good one and also the tone arm is supposed ot be a nice thing to listern to. The strip down starts tomorrow.

Edit:

Well I started to strip the deck and realised it was too much hassle. It needed a full rewire and I don't have the skill and knowledge to do it.

I've decided to just buy a new deck so I have my eyes on the Rega RP3 and Grado reference platinum MM cartridge. As my system needs a phono stage I fancy the Rega fono MM Mk2.

Last edited:
Went to my local record store but couldn't get the RSD vinyl I wanted :( but did pick these up.

Nice haul! I didn't end up going to any stores, travelling into the city felt like a tall order today but I heard it was pretty hectic out there. Apparently there were people ripping records out of other's hands, other people taking multiple copies (and the last) copies at once just so they can sell some on eBay. It's a real shame, I thought there would be more decency. 👎

It was civilised at my local store. He only opened up a couple of weeks ago so didn't have many RSD vinyl to sell. There were still people queuing since early morning.

My most recent purchase (which has yet to arrive) is Andrew Jackson Jihad's new album "Christmas Island". It's already set to be my favourite record to look at! Only thing I need now is a new record player to replace the dud old one I had.

ajj_lp_bluepinkwhiteswirl.jpg

@Cap'n Jack what deck do you currently use?

I've been tempted to order these...

Coraline+Soundtrack+Vinyl+Record+by+Mondo.jpg

Coraline+Soundtrack+Black+%2526+White+Swirl+Vinyl+Record+Variant+by+Mondo.jpg

Record+Store+Day+2014+Exclusive+Mondo+x+LAIKA+ParaNorman+Soundtrack+Glow+in+the+Dark+2LP+12”+Vinyl+Record+by+Jon+Brion+Featuring+Cover+Artwork+by+DKNG.jpg

Tong_GravityOST_add.jpg

They have also released Jurassic Park.

what deck do you currently use?
It's a vintage Phillips, from the late '70s-early '80s. It was pretty cheap and it works according to the price. It has a tendency to skip records constantly, usually becomes more frequent once you get towards the end of playing either side of a record, rather than the beginning. It shouldn't be the needle, because that's all new and the tone arm works perfectly. I'm not real tech savvy so I could be completely wrong. I've been considering, for a while, just replacing it with a modern setup because I'd imagine one wouldn't cause so many headaches and I probably need a setup that's a little more compact. I've got a table in mind, it's just the rest of the equipment I'm somewhat stumped on.

Also, I'm not too familiar with those artists but I'd suggest getting those records just for the artwork alone. :P They look fantastic!

It's a vintage Phillips, from the late '70s-early '80s. It was pretty cheap and it works according to the price. It has a tendency to skip records constantly, usually becomes more frequent once you get towards the end of playing either side of a record, rather than the beginning. It shouldn't be the needle, because that's all new and the tone arm works perfectly. I'm not real tech savvy so I could be completely wrong. I've been considering, for a while, just replacing it with a modern setup because I'd imagine one wouldn't cause so many headaches and I probably need a setup that's a little more compact. I've got a table in mind, it's just the rest of the equipment I'm somewhat stumped on.

Also, I'm not too familiar with those artists but I'd suggest getting those records just for the artwork alone. :P They look fantastic!

It could be your anti skid weight being set to high. It's pulling your needle out towards the edge and as your getting towards the centre of your disk the pull gets stronger.

Those vinyl are soundtracks to...

Coreline, Parranorman & Gravity. The artwork is by artists at Mondo Tees.

Picked this up today...

View attachment 150014

My new vinyl arrived today.

Fish - Feast Of Consequences double LP.

Ben Watt - Hendra

Here's a few from my collection, if anyone is interested. Been slowly collecting them, and I have many on my wishlist.
Plenty o' images.

I'll just put my favorite record on the top of this picture pile. The rest of the images are in no particular order.

jI6PA7W.jpg

pinsIe7.jpg

OcsOFlW.jpg

Kxsn21p.jpg

bFlIn8s.jpg

0mHMmvK.jpg

nrAenSP.jpg

mWY5UAu.jpg

RerXNYN.jpg

5Q0RMRA.jpg

j6IWhVv.jpg

WBlf7je.jpg

xgyMMyh.jpg

sh6iYJJ.jpg

bYh2FhC.jpg

How have I ever missed this thread... I've 300 lps and growing, mostly metal \m/

@Pinkintron @Heathenpride what decks you spinning those black disks of joy on?

Currently I have two decks, one is the dead home made deck shown in this thread with the SME tonearm but I was going to restore it but time and cost I might as well save for a new one.

The current working deck is like @Cap'n Jack is an old Pioneer with an old Ortofon cartridge. It's ok but produces some wicked static and just sounds mediocre. I really want a Rega RP3 with a TTPSU and Rega MM Phono stage. Plus a few upgrades from Groovetracer.

I actually haven't looked hard into a good deck - or turntable - yet.

It all happened quite suddenly - when my aunt passed, I received a box all of her records. Most of them consisted of Doris Day, Frank Sinatra, and others. Around Christmas, my grandfather gave me another box. I had all these records with no turntable, so instead of waiting until I could build my own or buy a proper one, I bought a cheap, $100 Crosley. The playback is alright, but it's nowhere near what I want. It'll do for now until I decide what I want to do to replace it. For now, it'll stay somewhat a conversation piece.

I wouldn't know where to actually start in order to find a new one, but this one needs to be replaced quickly. A proper preamp (Rolls VP130 if I get too crazy), a heavy cartridge, and so on.

My ELP album arrived.

3 CD, DVDA, DVD & Vinyl

Also has a poster along with a nice booklet giving the history of the album.

I have about 6 crates full of old albums my parents let me play. I found an old Sony PS-X5 at a garage sale for $10. Automatic operation doesn't work right, buttons stick. I can operate it manually. It had no needle. I bought a new cart for it - Audio Technica AT95E which is supposed to sound pretty good, and got a new needle for the Shure AT91E that was on it.

It definitely feels like a more laid back sound than a CD. And it's fun to pull out the album and look at the artwork.

Well I picked up a Boards Of Canada album today.

Geogaddi

image.jpg

I didn't own on CD so bought on vinyl. Also put my order in for the Jack White album.

I've also asked if my local store can get me Rave Tapes special box set by Moogwai and he's saving me a copy of "Third House On The Left" soundtrack.

Back