GTP's Top 10 Movies... Ever!

• Thread starter Famine
  • 237 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen many of them, but I never was into "mafia and cop" movies, unless they were funny or had something else to offer. Just not my category of choice I guess. As for Le Mans, that looks pretty damn good, I better hire it out some time.:dopey:

Well, The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly and Scarface are far from Mafia/Cop movies. If you like GTA: Vice City, I guarantee you'll love Scarface.

The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly though, is a spaghetti western, and is 1 of the 3 Eastwood made. The other 2 are A Fistful of Dollars and A Few Dollars More. All 3 are great, imo, and if you like Eastwood, you might also like his Dirty Harry movies, which may be more suited to your taste.

I'm a bit surprised Danoff haven't seen most of what you posted. Those are some excellent movies he's missing out! Get at it, dude! You wont regret it.

Well, of the movies he posted that I've seen, here are the ones I didn't like:

Blazing Saddles
Young Frankenstein
Dr. Strangelove
Cape Fear
Apocolypse Now
Catch-22 (didn't like the book, haven't seen the movie)
Mad Max/Road Warrior

And here are the ones I did...

Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Monty Python's Life of Brian
Sean of the Dead
Ocean's 11
The Andromeda Strain - original (mostly because of the book)
Fight Club

The Hunt For Red October
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Blade Runner
Star Wars IV-V
Gattica
A Fish Called Wanda

So of the movies I've seen on his list, he's shooting at about 60% as far as me even liking the ones on his top 10 lists. That's a good percentage, but it's no slam dunk, and I was lukewarm about maybe 1/3 of the ones I liked.

Still, I'll work on it. The day the Earth stood still has already been added to my netflix queue.

You didn't like Mad Max?! Blasphemy!

Nope. Mad Max sucked. I laughed out loud at the end of that movie at the realization of just how many people love that horrible horrible movie. Road Warrior was better for sure.

Road Warrior was better produced. Mad Max was a better story. Both were very good. We shall, immediately after this utterance, strike the word "Thunderdome" from the lexicon.
Well, of the movies he posted that I've seen, here are the ones I didn't like:

Blazing Saddles
Young Frankenstein
I suppose you had to have grown up watching hours and hours of the kind of movies that Brooks was sending up with these two. For the record, while I rank these as two of the funniest movies ever made, a lot of his other stuff is only enough to raise a chuckle.
Dr. Strangelove
Apocolypse Now
Catch-22 (didn't like the book, haven't seen the movie)
You have to take these three with a huge grain of salt. I do not buy into their basic premises - that the military-industrial complex is a worldwide cabal of rich white guys and borderline psychopaths out to destroy everything they can't steal - but as set pieces that accurately reflect their times, they are very good.

EDIT: added the following to my original post of lists.

Top Ten Car Movies
Le Mans
Grand Prix
Last American Hero
Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry
Gone in 60 Seconds
- original only
Gumball Rally - tie with Cannonball Run
Smokey and the Bandit
Deathrace 2000
Duel

Two Lane Blacktop - tie with Vanishing Point - and these are somewhat grudgingly on my list. The symbolism in TLB is so blunt and smacks you so hard you'll probably wonder what hit you and not get it anyway; the symbolism in VP is dumber, but subtler, though the film loses major points for a stupid ending after it paints itself into an existentialist corner

Top Ten Animated Features - and this almost shouldn't be a category; I prefer to judge animated films by type, not production method
The Incredibles
Toy Story
The Iron Giant
The Wrong Trousers
Shrek
Monsters, Inc.
Heavy Metal
American Pop!
Watership Down
Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Top Ten Coming-of-Age Movies
Breaking Away
Secondhand Lions
Harold and Maude
Breakfast Club
Sixteen Candles
Swallows and Amazons
Diner
American Graffiti
Stand By Me
The Last Picture Show

Road Warrior was better produced. Mad Max was a better story.

At some point, I think production quality can kill even a good story. But I agree with the notion that the plot is more important than the production quality (see my comments on No Country for Old Men as an example).

I suppose you had to have grown up watching hours and hours of the kind of movies that Brooks was sending up with these two. For the record, while I rank these as two of the funniest movies ever made, a lot of his other stuff is only enough to raise a chuckle.

I just can't get into movies that are that silly. Airplane is another one that strikes that level of comedy, and I can't get into it. The later Austin Powers movies also devolved into that type of comedy (and the Naked Gun movies). I can handle silly (eg: Ace Ventura), but those movies just passed some sort of limit for me.

You have to take these three with a huge grain of salt. I do not buy into their basic premises - that the military-industrial complex is a worldwide cabal of rich white guys and borderline psychopaths out to destroy everything they can't steal - but as set pieces that accurately reflect their times, they are very good.

Yea, I don't put much stock in a movie being a set piece that accurately reflects the environment. I think you're right, that it was the military-industrial complex etc. etc. premise that threw me. But I'm sticking by that as a legitimate knock against those movies.

While I agree to a point in regard to Dr Strangelove and quite a bit in regard to Catch-22, I disagree with Apocalypse Now.

Ignore the setting and its a very faithful version of the book its based on (Conrad's Heart of Darkness) as a study of a descent into madness. Its actually quite interesting how much dialogue and scenes are lifted straight from the book but transfer to a totally different setting.

Regards

Scaff

Ignore the setting and its a very faithful version of the book its based on (Conrad's Heart of Darkness) as a study of a descent into madness. Its actually quite interesting how much dialogue and scenes are lifted straight from the book but transfer to a totally different setting.
Agreed - but the sociopolitical anti-Right anti-war bathos is just a bit too deep to ignore. If he wanted to make Heart of Darkness, he should have stuck with Heart of Darkness. It doesn't stop it being a good movie; that aspect of it just really needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

@Tom Servo: Damnit... I forgot Steamboy! Excellent production. Beautifully crafted film... something that appeals to the adolescent boy in all of us. Steam-punk plus action-adventure... it should have been on my list.

Duke
Top Ten Animated Features - and this almost shouldn't be a category; I prefer to judge animated films by type, not production method
The Incredibles
Toy Story
The Iron Giant
The Wrong Trousers
Shrek
Monsters, Inc.
Heavy Metal
American Pop!
Watership Down
Who Framed Roger Rabbit

I'd forgotten American Pop!... is that the rotoscoped one? Very good movie, but I'm no fan of rotoscope technique... although, amongst rotoscoped films, this stands out as the best I've seen.

---

RE: Shrek, Nemo... there's only so many slots you can give to the current CGI blockbusters... and while I enjoyed Shrek, Nemo, Monsters, Cars, Toy Story, etcetera all immensely, they're popcorn flicks built to be blockbusters... not all very deep. I put Monsters just because it's as good a bet as any other Pixar flick, and I liked the plot more than most, and Happy Feet just because it's such an unusual take on the "talking animal" genre... and the music is a lot of fun.

----

RE: Road-Warrior - definitely one of the best car movies ever made. Liked it much more than Mad Max or Beyond Thunderdrome.

Agreed - but the sociopolitical anti-Right anti-war bathos is just a bit too deep to ignore. If he wanted to make Heart of Darkness, he should have stuck with Heart of Darkness. It doesn't stop it being a good movie; that aspect of it just really needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

Wierd because I've never personally seen it as either an anti-right or anti-war movie. I actually don't even like classing it as a war movie, seeing in much more as I do Casablanca. As with Casablanca the setting it that of a war, but the central themes that overlay it (relationships and love in the case of Casablanca and madness in the case of A.N.) I see as much more important.

Interesting little fact as you mention making a film in the same setting as the book, Orsen Wells actually went well down the line to doing just that as his first film, before changing his mind and making Citizen Kane. Now I wonder how that would have turned out.

Oh and a Top Ten Animated Features without Akira????????? Must be a mistake.

Regards

Scaff

That's because he already put it in a previous list... I think.

Steamboy is actually a very good movie. Problem is that when it's compared to Otomo's previous film (Akira), it falls very short... still, it's amazing. And I also forgot to include Roger Rabbit in my animated list.

No comments on Miyazaki's movies? (Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke)

Miyazaki's movies I have always found very good, Spirited Away in particular, the real fan of them however is my 12 year old daughter. Spirited Away is her favorite film.

Regards

Scaff

Oh and a Top Ten Animated Features without Akira????????? Must be a mistake.

That's because he already put it in a previous list... I think.
Correct - I already have Akira in my Top Ten SF movies. 👍
No comment because I simply haven't seen them, unfortunately.

Then let this be a suggestion that you watch them, Duke... along with MST3K: The Movie ;)

1. Deep Impact
2. Dawn of The Dead (new one)
3. Disturbia
4. Jurassic Park series
5. Star Wars Series
6. The Lion King
7. Hot Shots
8. The Simpsons Movie
9. The Sound of Music
10. Signs

10. Signs

Dude!!! The ones where the aliens invade a planet that is horribly suited to them?? That signs??

You know if you're going to put a Shyamalan (or however you spell it) movie in your list, it has to be the 6th sense. In fact, I'm just going to assume that's what you meant. :)

Miyazaki's movies I have always found very good, Spirited Away in particular, the real fan of them however is my 12 year old daughter. Spirited Away is her favorite film.

Regards

Scaff

Agreed. It's always nice to see others that can enjoy a good anime film.
I just finished Tekkonkinkreet and it was amazing. You'll recognize the art style from the 'glitch' segment in the Animatrix.

Signs? After 6th Sense (which is good enough to be on anyone's top ten lists), Signs was a "shut-your-brain-off" disaster. Aliens who die when splashed with water? They spend days... weeks on Earth, and they didn't realize that the freaking planet was covered in the stuff?!? A lot of people have said that it doesn't matter... that the film was more allegorical in its depiction of its aliens... or maybe they were biblical demons. Either way, it was so stupid that I lost all hope in Shyamalan... I mean, "Unbreakable" was stupid enough... (great premise, a story that loses all sense of coherence in the latter half of the movie)... but "Signs" was OTT dumb.

@Duke: You owe it to yourself to watch any and all Miyazaki movies. They're quite an experience.

Personally, I wasn't completely blown away by Princess Mononoke. I mean, it was great but as with Steamboy versus Akira, I felt that it wasn't as epic as Nausicaa, which had basically the same theme, but more fleshed out characters and a more complex plot. Try to pick up a DVD copy of Nausicaa if you can find one. Of the three recent Miyazakis I watched, I'd rate Spirited Away as the best, Mononoke as second, and Howl's Moving Castle as third. I'm tickled pink that the old man hasn't stopped making movies, and I hope he makes many more in the years to come.

Hmmm... looking up on the internet... Miyazaki's son is doing a "Tales of Earthsea" anime for Studio Ghibli? Damn! I've got to buy that DVD!!!

"Signs" was OTT dumb.
Agreed. Dull, too...

I'd rate Spirited Away as the best, Mononoke as second, and Howl's Moving Castle as third.
HMC was amazing, I prefer it to Spirited Away and I haven't seen much of PM yet - it was on through the week, but it started at 11pm, which is past my bedtime. Amazing stuff, though.

I'd say Howl's Moving Castle could make my Top 20 (albeit not my Top 10) and Spirited Away perhaps my Top 40.

On another note, I think the original version of "The Wicker Man" would now also make my Top 20 (and very possibly my Top 10), and I am dying to get my hands on the Director's Cut. Justifications include: Christopher Lee is brilliant as Lord Summerisle, plenty of weirdness throughout the film, fantastic score by Paul Giovanni, a grim ending, and Britt Ekland naked. What more do you want? :P It's also a very thought provoking film in many ways, I highly recommend it 👍

Signs? After 6th Sense (which is good enough to be on anyone's top ten lists), Signs was a "shut-your-brain-off" disaster. Aliens who die when splashed with water? They spend days... weeks on Earth, and they didn't realize that the freaking planet was covered in the stuff?!? A lot of people have said that it doesn't matter... that the film was more allegorical in its depiction of its aliens... or maybe they were biblical demons. Either way, it was so stupid that I lost all hope in Shyamalan... I mean, "Unbreakable" was stupid enough... (great premise, a story that loses all sense of coherence in the latter half of the movie)... but "Signs" was OTT dumb.

I have to admit, i have a real soft spot for Shyamalan's films (apart from Lady in the Water) :guilty:

Signs and Unbreakable been particular favourites. I know the whole premise of aliens invading a planet covered in a liquid that can kill them on impact is pretty daft (why couldn't he have used killer cola instead?) but i found it to be great entertainment.

I guess it's the little twists he puts into the stories that hooks me.

I'll admit I hadn't heard of Miyazaki until about 4 months ago, when I didn't have anything else to watch and reluctantly popped Spirited Away in, which I had been avoiding for some time.

When it was finished I was crying like a little girl and realised it was an amazing movie. I got on the PC and started downloading all other films by Miyazaki (downloading movies is legal in Spain, ha!). I now have in line Princess Mononoke, Porco Rosso, Howl's Moving Castle, Kiki's Delivery Service, My Neighbour Totoro and Castle in the Sky.

It seems watching SA first will kinda ruin the rest in terms of quality, but I watched the first 10mins of each and they look awesome.

@Chris: The Wicker Man was horrible... you human paraquat.

@Chris: The Wicker Man was horrible... you human paraquat.
:lol:

By horrible I hope you mean "disturbing", as opposed to "rubbish"? :confused: It is certainly pretty disturbing :ill:

wick5.jpg

It's a very bizarre film, not just because of the subject matter, but also because it is virtually a musical as well...

Maybe I should re-watch both and try to have a go and figure out which I like better. It's hard to compare after all this time.

Still looking for a DVD copy of Porco Rosso et al... though I did watch Totoro many years ago... unfortunately, it was in Japanese, sub-titled in Chinese, so I didn't understand a word. Terrific animation, though... and I do believe I bought a one of those Cat-Bus stuffed toys for a Chinese girl I fancied back then... :D

RE: DLing... it's kinda illegal in the US, where this site is based, so it's still taboo. No need to say how you watched it, just sufficient to note that you have. ;)

I'll admit I hadn't heard of Miyazaki until about 4 months ago, when I didn't have anything else to watch and reluctantly popped Spirited Away in, which I had been avoiding for some time.

When it was finished I was crying like a little girl and realised it was an amazing movie. I got on the PC and started downloading all other films by Miyazaki (downloading movies is legal in Spain, ha!). I now have in line Princess Mononoke, Porco Rosso, Howl's Moving Castle, Kiki's Delivery Service, My Neighbour Totoro and Castle in the Sky.

It seems watching SA first will kinda ruin the rest in terms of quality, but I watched the first 10mins of each and they look awesome.

Spirited Away (or 'Sen to chihiru no kami kakushi' in it's original language) is indeed an awesome film. I think you won't be disappointed with Tonari no Totoro as well, it is fantastic!

Dude!!! The ones where the aliens invade a planet that is horribly suited to them?? That signs??

You know if you're going to put a Shyamalan (or however you spell it) movie in your list, it has to be the 6th sense. In fact, I'm just going to assume that's what you meant. :)

Well that will be a little difficult considering i've never seen the sixth sense! :)

Well, I've finally got time to post my lists:
Sci-Fi/FantasyLOTR
Star Wars 4-6
Indiana Jones series
Back to the Future series
Princess Bride
Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

Dramodies/Comedies
Blazing Saddles
Young Frankenstien
The 12 Chairs
48 Hours