GTR > Gran Turismo Reviews > Scion FR-S

• Thread starter uMadson?
  • 411 comments
Hey onboy everytime I load the internet this comes up: (Its my theme)

l3Iak.jpg

And………I should care why????

"The Last Hurrah" isn't the last hurrah by Vett'e. Evidence that it's not the last hurrah

I know that, but I also know:
a) he was planning to stop tuning due to uni
b) as I said, the Clio was part of a final update
c) It was named 'the last hurrah' for sentimental reasons. My last race with him before he left for uni again was against this car, and as I'm approaching Year 10, I'm not too sure I'll have the time to properly race him again. (Good, clean rooms are hard to find in Hong Kong, and if we started one ourselves, no one would join)

That and the fact I wrote that up in at the dead of night meant that I was even more dimwitted than I usually am meant that a lot of this stuff was rather cheesy and exaggerated…as is my style :D

Yup.

R.I.P
GFxJG's PS3

From 22/09/2009 - 14/08/2011

# = fill in the date for yourself :D

At least for now. It's.... Kind of working again. I'm online, and got data installed, but last time I turned it off it died when I turned it on again....

At least for now. It's.... Kind of working again. I'm online, and got data installed, but last time I turned it off it died when I turned it on again....

Don't turn it off then. Mine has ran 2 weeks without a switch off, still going fine. ish.

Just listen to that and you'll fall asle-ZZZzzzzzzzz...

Edit: Sorry, I meant to say you'll fall asleep.

Lol. I just can't sleep with any sound on, except ambient sound in cities and stuff like that.

GTFO GTR
To those who worship the R35, look away...

As I’m sure you know, I hate, hate, hate, HATE the R35 GTR. It’s not because I’m sore that it kicks a lot of supercar butt, but more because it’s so needlessly noob-orientated. I've been saying this for ages, and have been constantly trying to make a point. 5 times, 5 times I've tried and failed to get my point across. This time though, you're out of luck R35.

There are many things on this car to hate, so let's just start with just one of the things that makes it so awful. The handling. It’s so ‘winning made easy’. You’re not involved with the drive at all. The steering is numb and slow. The understeer at the limit is scary for a car which people will put 800hp in without thinking. The 4WD system is indecisive. I turn for a corner, twice, the very same corner each time, and I’d get either slow turn-in and understeer, or it’ll kick its ugly arse out like it has 5 bags of cement in the boot. It’s a pig. There’s no other word, it’s an absolute pig.

Then, there’s the noise. Some cars in GT5 have appalling exhaust notes, I know, but this makes them sound like Pavarotti in comparison! It’s just a dull drone, the sort my A/C unit will make. In fact, I would rather record my A/C at night, put it on my iPod and listen to that for a whole day and it would still be better than the R35’s drone.

It’s also not exactly what you’d call the best looking car Nissan has ever made, is it? With its blocky arse and fat snout, this is as visually appealing as a World War I soldier’s foot.

And it’s not that fast, either. A GTR should always feel quick. Even if it isn’t, it should feel like you’re going a million. But even with nearly 500 horses and weighing in at just 1.7 tons, it doesn’t go with even a modicum of enthusiasm. It just drones its way up to the redline, taking about a minute to get there in the first place. 170mph in this feels like 70. It’s not a car, it’s a sensory deprivation tank.

But the worse thing, the worse thing about this, is its lack of spirit. I’ve owned just about every GTR in the game. Right back to the 2000GTR of 1973, and all of them, all have had a ‘zing’, they had something other cars don’t. It was like a shimmer of excitement, it was what I liked most about GTRs. But in this, that shimmer is gone. In its place is just....numbers. And excitement cannot be replaced by maths, regardless of how much grip you get in exchange.

This is a disgrace to the GTR badge. The lineup of proper GTRs ended with the R34. Still, let’s see what happens when we put this GTR facsimile on its home, doing its thing. On the track, setting lap times.

We’re off! The 4WD means it launches cleanly off the line. It’s just about the only thing on the R35 that I like.

Heading down to the first corner……

…still going……

……finally there!

And…it’s understeered wide!! That’s very wide for that corner! There’s the downside of the 4WD for you.

Now, over these hilly bits……

One down, one more to go……

Oopps…

……ouch……

……that’s not gone quite as well as I’d hope……but hey, at least it does look better now!

So, there you have it. It’s ugly, it’s slow, it doesn’t sound very nice, it has silly handling and bores you to death when you drive it. This, or a well tuned, better looking, better sounding, better handling R34. Your choice.

*credit for the track goes to Welsh Fury. You can get the track here

Last edited:
GfxJG
I think Onboy is jealous that my R35 is faster than anything he can find in that PP class.
Nope, it's cuz it's rubbish. As I've said many times before, a car that's fast but not fun isn't as good as a slower one that is. And as I said, I'd take the R34 over that every time.

Back