GTS drifting - where do you rate it's realism?

• Thread starter mekonrider
  • 87 comments
United Kingdom
York/UK
mekonrider
First off it's been a long time since I owned a RWD car, so my only recent experience of hanging it out has been in the virtual world, so I really don't know how it compares to the real world.

Anyway, the point I was going to make is do you think GTS is realistic and are the sort of drift angles you can get in Forza unrealistic? I was watching some real world drifting in road cars and the GTS version seems closer to sort of angles a road car will hold than Forza and possibly AC.

What do you think?

I can't really commend on tarmac drifting in GTS because I only did that once in some driving school event shortly after release. The transition from gripping to sliding felt much too abrupt, but maybe it's better in more recent patches.

As for rally driving in GTS: it's definitely crap. On loose surfaces, cars actually have more grip when sliding sideways. That's why rally drivers in the real world are sliding around constantly; it's intentional and not for show. In GTS, however, once you start sliding a bit too much, it's as if you're on ice. In reality it's very easy to turn on gravel by just slightly turning the steering wheel and doing the rest through throttle modulation, but in GTS it's nearly impossible to turn the cars once you're sliding - it just keeps sliding in a straight line. If you watch real loose-surface rally driving or if you play Codemaster's Dirt Rally, you'll realize how unrealistic GTS is.

GTS's tire model generally feels quite bad compared to other racing games/sims such as PCars2, iRacing, and Forza. It's probably the worst thing about the game. :( It got better since launch, but a lot of road cars still have way too little grip and lose traction much too easily when accelerating without TCS.

I can't really commend on tarmac drifting in GTS because I only did that once in some driving school event shortly after release. The transition from gripping to sliding felt much too abrupt, but maybe it's better in more recent patches.

As for rally driving in GTS: it's definitely crap. On loose surfaces, cars actually have more grip when sliding sideways. That's why rally drivers in the real world are sliding around constantly; it's intentional and not for show. In GTS, however, once you start sliding a bit too much, it's as if you're on ice. In reality it's very easy to turn on gravel by just slightly turning the steering wheel and doing the rest through throttle modulation, but in GTS it's nearly impossible to turn the cars once you're sliding - it just keeps sliding in a straight line. If you watch real loose-surface rally driving or if you play Codemaster's Dirt Rally, you'll realize how unrealistic GTS is.

GTS's tire model generally feels quite bad compared to other racing games/sims such as PCars2, iRacing, and Forza. It's probably the worst thing about the game. :( It got better since launch, but a lot of road cars still have way too little grip and lose traction much too easily when accelerating without TCS.
The grip levels are about right now . They were awful at launch .

when in doubt, throttle out... except in GT games...
I've never caught a slide in real life by lifting... but its a required skill in GT games.
I can launch my street/strip Mustang on street radials all day long in real life, or on slicks at the track, but cannot launch anything in GT games.
I can "drift" same Mustang in real life, but cannot drift anything in GT games.
I could run silly on gravel/sand in my prep'd Cherokee, and still can in my buddies stadium truck... but cannot drive for poo in rally events in GT games.
There is a huge disconnect between game driving, and real life driving... when limits are pushed and "sliding" is involved.
As long as you are hooked up, it seems pretty reasonable... slight skidding/sliding is pretty close... after that it's "game time".

If you did the same driving in real life, it'd be like you are on ice. You brake in a straight line, get the car slowed, then turn in and throttle out. That's why the cars get loose, not because they just chuck it in and hope for the best.

And Dirt Rally is about as arcade as Forza when it comes to Rally Racing. If you want a "true" rally sim, you'll need to look at RBR.

Drifting in GT Sport is easier and better than any of the previous GT games (provided you have the right hardware e.g. a steering wheel etc).
Nevertheless it will take longer to learn than it would in a real car, since you just can't feel anything and have to predict the situation just with your eyes (FF helps a bit too ofc).

Drifting in GT Sport is easier and better than any of the previous GT games (provided you have the right hardware e.g. a steering wheel etc).
I found it a lot easier and better in GT6, especially since that game had a far superior tire model.

The grip levels are about right now . They were awful at launch .
Really? Cool then i should test it again, since in the first weeks it was nothing like real. (I can only say for Mustangs and BMW and Nissans)
All cars felt like a lotus Elise, no matter what setup i tried. It was undriftable and it always felt like I cant hold speed in a drift. The Car was slowing down until it flipped without even touching the brakes and aplying throttle all the time.
In real if I get slower it is because I have to much grip and not enough power to keep the wheels spinning. But in this case I straighten out and dont flip around. It really felt like it brakes all the time with fronttires.
Something was really messed up. The last time the Mustang felt like mine was in GT5.
In GT5 the throttle and steering together were almost on point with a wheel. In GTS it is/was a mess when i tired it last in december. It feelt useless to try it further.

Edit:
FF helps a bit too ofc
I had to turn it to lowest level or it would steer way to much and strong to drift smothly.

I found it a lot easier and better in GT6, especially since that game had a far superior tire model.
For me GT5/6 was easier with a DS4 controller, but I found it impossible with my G25 wheel. In GT Sport it took me about 30 minutes to get the hang of it, ofcourse there's a lot room for improvement and I'm still a bit better with a controller (let it be mentioned that I never drive with a controller and am significantly quicker with the wheel).
FF is the key for me, I think. FF torque maxed out and sensitivity at 6.
GT Sport is the first GT that I feel gives some feedback through the steering wheel when the car is mid-drift. With my settings, I never need to work too hard on the steering wheel - instead I just catch it at the right moment and give slight corrections while controlling the car with the throttle.

Its easy to drift on GTSport, but no, its not realistic at all. The clutch is still as bad as it was in GT5/6. Its not even necessary to touch it when going off throttle for a long time. Force feedback feels very very sketchy when going past a certain amount of angle aswell.

I found the best drifting is on dirt tracks in the rally cars, it feels a little more realistic than on the tarmac

It looks so unreal/weird if a rwd car drifts fast and the front tyres look in a completely wrong direction... plz fix this if possible PD. Drifting must look right or it is no fun to me.

It looks so unreal/weird if a rwd car drifts fast and the front tyres look in a completely wrong direction... plz fix this if possible PD. Drifting must look right or it is no fun to me.
Wut? That's called counter steering, that's how cars drift in real life.

I agree that the video's posted are awesome... but...
We really should not have to change modes/models/programming to have the vehicles react somewhat properly when traction has been exceeded, or, in flirtation.

If it were only down to setup to have the cars behave somewhat reasonable, there would not be an entire "sub-set" for playing with traction on the limit.

I wish there was more actual drift content... like challenges etc.

You're in for a treat.

upload_2018-2-10_8-0-23.png

The whole "off-grip" simulation is totally off in GT Sport... it is actually worse than what it was in GT5 and GT6. Cars behave fine until the grip is broken.

I have found drifting extremely difficult in GT Sport, compared to real life (yes I have some experience) and other sims.
It's the same snap oversteer that was in gt4. You would try to catch the car if you were spinning out, but you would just end up spinning out in the direction you counrersteered. But GTS its a lot more controllable.

Totally agree with this. The wheels don't move and reset to centre quick enough which looks terrible on replays. This has been the case since the Nov/Dec update I think - it was fine before. The cars also appear to pivot on a central axis which looks wrong too. The whole feel is too 'arcadey' on DS4 and far too forgiving... I'd like PD to introduce a 'PRO' DS4 option which puts the handling model back to 1.08, but retains the newer grip settings.... but I won't hold my breath though lol - just wish I could rewind the updates to where I felt handing was as it's best!

Wut? That's called counter steering, that's how cars drift in real life.
You didnt understand me. Look in the video how less angle the front tyres have in comparison to the angle the car drifts. In the Video the front tires steer 50% to less maybe. I am not talking of wrong direction lol.

You didnt understand me. Look in the video how less angle the front tyres have in comparison to the angle the car drifts. In the Video the front tires steer 50% to less maybe. I am not talking of wrong direction lol.
Oh ok, I see what you mean, the counter steering effect doesn't show up visually. Yeah I agree, I was trying to take some race photos of rally events and noticed when I was full lock it only showed 15-20 degrees turned, if that.

This is the pic, in race I was full lock but picture doesn't look like it's full lock.
5774253607284146712_0.jpg

Does the visual steering lock issue only exist on race cars with a soft lock? (race care typically have less steering rotation than road cars)

Latest Posts

Back