Head Tracking Confirmed for GT5!!!

• Thread starter turbomp301
  • 392 comments
Really? Because that I believe that is a sign of polarized 3D (as you rotate your head the polarization failes as horizontally and vertically polarized in the glasses and screen no longer match) and not shutters.

I believe its an issue with LED models, dont know why.
Well so far Samsungs and Sonys LED models have had this issue but for example Panasonics 3D plasma model does not and I also think Samsungs 3D Plasma range are okay too with it.
Not a big issue for me but as some reviewers have said people like to at times watch TV laying down on the edge of a sofa etc.

Back to tracking I do not see Sony offering any differences in 2D or 3D sorry thats unlikely.

Problem with head tracking is that if my mrs sees me tilting my head back and forth and rocking side to side.

The men in the White coats are on their way.

I dont think the tracking will do anything new or different.
All thats changed is instead of being able to program a controller to use the analogue stick we can use or head or even or faces :)
The report is not accurate as you still cant get a peripheral view with one screen, its not the same luv...

I tested Sonys 3DTVs last week and can confirm reports that Sonys shutter glasses loose the 3D signal if you tilt your head to say like "10 or 2 oclock positions" So head titling is certainly not likely to be in as this works with 3D and its then unlikely that forward back motion will be in neither, damn, damn, damn.. In general this isnt as great as I had hoped it would be and think it will feel a little unnatural and more like on rails with just the left/right working. I would of loved full freedom of movement on all axis, damn...

and the confusion continues...

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=3921716#post3921733

I'm glad the game is only 4 months from release (crosses fingers, hands, feet, legs, and arms), so we don't have to wait long to find out for ourselves.

Despite the news above, I'm still inclined to think we are just getting a left/right toggle instead of full head tracking. I hope I'm wrong.

;)

Scope! That setup is a-maz-ing. Great work on the paint and getting the eye toy mounted :bowdown: God (and you) only know what the hair dryer was for :lol:

Jerome

Hey thank you.

Oh but the hair dryer is for drying the glue that holds together the eye toy mount. :)

As far as I have seen head tracking in GT5, it seems it is a combination of

• being able to look left and right with the limitation of three angles: 45° left, 0°, 45° right. The transition between those angles is seamless, but it is not possible to look "just a little" left or right
  • monitoring the position of the head in terms of height and distance to the dashboard. Moving your head (and your body for that matter) forwards or stretching your neck will alter your view in the game. Basically, your alter ego in the game does the same thing. However, you can not look up to the roof or down to your legs
Both things can be observed in this video at 31m35s:

I believe its an issue with LED models, dont know why.
Well so far Samsungs and Sonys LED models have had this issue but for example Panasonics 3D plasma model does not and I also think Samsungs 3D Plasma range are okay too with it.
Not a big issue for me but as some reviewers have said people like to at times watch TV laying down on the edge of a sofa etc.

Back to tracking I do not see Sony offering any differences in 2D or 3D sorry thats unlikely.

LCD screens 3D or not (LED are also LCD) are always polarised, and the lenses in shutter glasses are also polarised so tilting the glasses will put them out of alignment with the screen and the image will darken and disappear. Plasma screens are not polarised so shutter glasses can be tilted and the quality of the image won't be affected. I think systems that use circularly polarised screens and passive glasses should also be ok as should the Dolby system if it ever makes it's way to the small screen.

Even if the screen and glasses do work with such tilting the content being shown on the screen won't usually take that tilt into account, movies can't and games only could with accurate tracking of both eyes positions (not dependent on where you're looking) relative to the screen. Tilting your head while watching 3D content will usually screw up the 3D effect and may cause some confusion in your visual processing, don't watch 3D movies lying on your side or anything like that.

As for the headtracking, if what we've seen is the extent of the headtracking then I'm not particularly impressed although details are still lacking so I still have a little hope.

As far as I have seen head tracking in GT5, it seems it is a combination of

• being able to look left and right with the limitation of three angles: 45° left, 0°, 45° right. The transition between those angles is seamless, but it is not possible to look "just a little" left or right
  • monitoring the position of the head in terms of height and distance to the dashboard. Moving your head (and your body for that matter) forwards or stretching your neck will alter your view in the game. Basically, your alter ego in the game does the same thing. However, you can not look up to the roof or down to your legs
Both things can be observed in this video at 31m35s:

Actually it looks a lot to me like it does respond all the way between 0 and 45 as you can see the screen is not really at either end but kind of goes back and forth a bit...

And I hadn't noticed before but when he is playing with the PSeye it definitely does look like the 3D effect of head bobbing around the cabin is there...

I am not a fan of the TRACKIR head side to side tracking, but that second one that gives the wii sord of 3d is interesting if they can pull it off right!

Actually it looks a lot to me like it does respond all the way between 0 and 45 as you can see the screen is not really at either end but kind of goes back and forth a bit...
It does, but only because the view will take its time to "travel" to its new destination. So when you turn your head back in the meantime, it will start to "travel" back to the other side. Therefore, it doesn't seem to be possible to constantly keep the view at say 20° to the left.

It does, but only because the view will take its time to "travel" to its new destination. So when you turn your head back in the meantime, it will start to "travel" back to the other side. Therefore, it doesn't seem to be possible to constantly keep the view at say 20° to the left.

Hmmm... I am not sure I see that but I get what you are saying...

And I hadn't noticed before but when he is playing with the PSeye it definitely does look like the 3D effect of head bobbing around the cabin is there...

I am not a fan of the TRACKIR head side to side tracking, but that second one that gives the wii sord of 3d is interesting if they can pull it off right!

I'm not sure, would be cool if it was. It should be quite subtle and if done well some people might not even recognise the effect but then feel that something was missing when playing another game without it.

Not read the whole thread. This video which briefly demonstrates head tracking may be of interest...

Thanks for the video. And that is exactly what I am expecting. Anything beyond that and it'll be icing on the cake.

The actual looking around looks smooth on that video. Let's hope they refine it for the final build. :)

Not read the whole thread. This video which briefly demonstrates head tracking may be of interest...

You also can see some evidence of head/face tracking in this video with the 458 between 1:20 - 1:55 and the GT-R at 4:05 - 4:38.

Hmmm, it looks like it only works in cockpit view I was hoping it would work in bumper cam.

Wouldn't looking 45 degrees from a bumper/licenseplate view mean you would see through part of the body of the car?

Very true.

If it works with bonnet view if there is one. It could be like Ferrari Challenge. Where it lets you look over the fenders.

No new info, but definitely well worth the read. Also, he links to a video that is a great explanation for those who are still a little confused.👍

You also can see some evidence of head/face tracking in this video with the 458 between 1:20 - 1:55 and the GT-R at 4:05 - 4:38.

Looks like the amount of sparks is related to the absolute speed of the car when colliding, not the speed difference of the colliding objects (how it should be). I hope they fix that before November 👍

edit,

oh and let me add that the physics on the vid seemed to be :drool:

Wouldn't looking 45 degrees from a bumper/licenseplate view mean you would see through part of the body of the car?

Yup, just like you can't see where the actual bumber is when it makes contact with the car in front. It would be better if it was a hood cam but with the HUD still avialable.

That see through bumper is kinda annoying. :dopey:

Looks like the amount of sparks is related to the absolute speed of the car when colliding, not the speed difference of the colliding objects (how it should be). I hope they fix that before November 👍

edit,

oh and let me add that the physics on the vid seemed to be :drool:

The sparks seem a bit too much especially in the third person view but in GT5RS's video of the 908HD at Le Mans where you view the spark from the bumper cam, the effect is quite believable (it's 3min02sec into the video). I like how i. Personally I can't wait to see the spark(lers) at night:

[YOUTUBEHD]JSvkY6XfW4I[/YOUTUBEHD]

Although I claimed that the view changes to a +/- 45° angle instead of 90°, this is pretty much exactly what I've been saying about head tracking:
Face-tracking using the PS Eye works on the 200 cars with cockpits and lets you look around by tilting your face away from the screen, but the early demo we played left us underwhelmed. Head-tracking has been working well on PC for years using IR camera and reference makers but PS Eye is a simpler camera and Gran Turismo applies a digital interpretation to an analogue movement. A slight glance to the left or right is translated by the game after a considerable delay as a full 90-degree crane of your neck. Hopefully Polyphony can smooth things out before release.
I too hope that they will be able to improve this feature before the release of GT5, otherwise one must question its meaningfulness other than being something nice to write on the box.

Last edited:
Not sure if this one was posted but it definately confirms head up/down tracking. 👍

Check approx 30 secs
I had been searching for this clip, thanks for digging it up. I love that there are also up&down (backward&foreward?) movements, not just left&right. 👍

Back