High end headphones - Suggestions?

• Thread starter Michael88
  • 73 comments
Austria
Nicest part of hell
Let me explain....

So yesterday I went to the electronics store with 150 bucks in my pocket to replace my old Sony MDR-XB300 earphones (which are falling apart due to age and wear) with new high quality stuff. I'm by no means an audio expert but I know the basics and I know quality when I hear it.

And boy, all the new gaming headphones I tested sounded like utter crap compared to my old ones, I fiddled around with the windows sound settings for hours but I couldn't improve the sound quality at least a tiny bit.Same problems on different computers with different OS's.
What especially annoyed me was that the audible difference between low and high sounds was very little with the new headphones, it made music sound really washed out and monotonous, it almost sounded like I was listening to music underwater, no sound clarity whatsoever. :ill:
The only good thing they had was teeth rattling bass, but thats pretty much it.

Brought 'em back and tried other ones, same problems. :grumpy:

I switched back to my old cheap-ish headphones and wow, what a difference; but I still have to replace them.
Whats going on? Any suggestions?

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro
AKG K240
Grado SR80i
Audio Technica M50

All great headphones in the $75-200 price range.

Agree with above.

What type of music are you listening to? That will help narrow it down a bit.

Sennheiser HD-25, Ultrasone HFI-580 or M50's. But if you can live with having an open-back headphone, Fischer Audio FA-011 are amazing with a decent amp.

Why not just upgrade to the XB-500's. If you liked the 300s you will love the bigger version lol

I personally have the XB-1000's

The problem with some higher end headphones is they have more of resistance (Ohm) and you need an external amp to get all the goodness out of them. But Sony's headphones only have a 2ohm resistance so you wont need an amp if you have an ipod or a PC with good on board sound/soundcard.

The Audio-Technica M50s would probably be my choice. I've always like the way A-Ts render, and they're great for everyday non-music use as well. I had a set of the cheaper M30s that I used as my everyday beaters and for video monitoring and editing and they were great, but I totally wore them out after three years of using them six hours or more a day and replaced them with some Shures. (Which are more comfortable for long wear but don't sound quite as nice.)

BeyerDynamic DTX 101iE is what I've got. Not really top of the range, but I love em. Only shortfall is the impedence...

I'm the proud owner of a pair of Monster Beats by Dr. Dre. Although the price of them was steep, the sound quality is amazing. Bass notes don't blow your ear drums but sounds as if they threaten to. Treble is perfect. The only downfall I have found to them is the price. Most people say they are a ripoff but with quality items, you do pay for the brand/name printed upside them. If your looking for a great pair of headphones I highly recommended them. Just make sure you get the right model for your needs. And please stray away from cheaper models of Turtle Beach headphones. Those are made for gaming and voice chat.

I'm the proud owner of a pair of Monster Beats by Dr. Dre. Although the price of them was steep, the sound quality is amazing. Bass notes don't blow your ear drums but sounds as if they threaten to. Treble is perfect. The only downfall I have found to them is the price. Most people say they are a ripoff but with quality items, you do pay for the brand/name printed upside them. If your looking for a great pair of headphones I highly recommended them. Just make sure you get the right model for your needs. And please stray away from cheaper models of Turtle Beach headphones. Those are made for gaming and voice chat.

..Lol Beats are garbage. Turtle Beaches too. I'm a proud owner of a 60$ headset that has more clarity than any TB headset will ever have. As well as another pair of headphones that were also 60$ that would easily beat out a pair of "Beats". There is no reason to pay 100$+ for a brand name of headphones that were specifically designed for the novice music listener.

bergauk
..Lol Beats are garbage. Turtle Beaches too. I'm a proud owner of a 60$ headset that has more clarity than any TB headset will ever have. As well as another pair of headphones that were also 60$ that would easily beat out a pair of "Beats". There is no reason to pay 100$+ for a brand name of headphones that were specifically designed for the novice music listener.

I'm sorry. I didn't know you were an audio expert. Don't see how you can consider me, an audio technician, to be a novice music listener.

But the Beats are an overrated brand of headphones. They're not crappy headphones in general per se, but "they aren't worth the amount you paid for" is what a lot of people have agreed on. Surely, an audio technician would know about brand popularity...

As for suggestion for headphones, I would have told you to go buy an AKG brand, but I don't know of any inexpensive models. I'm going to have to say upgrade to an XB700 if "wearing earmuffs in the summer" isn't an issue for you. They go for around $100 these days I think.

AOS-
But the Beats are an overrated brand of headphones. They're not crappy headphones in general per se, but "they aren't worth the amount you paid for" is what a lot of people have agreed on. Surely, an audio technician would know about brand popularity...

Oh believe me, the price is insane. My experience with them has brought me to the conclusion that they are damn good quality overall but not worth the price. I've been through headphones that have cost more and done less. With my beats, I hear musicians hit notes on a guitar that they didn't even know were there. They pick up everything and deliver it amazingly. When you can tell the lead guitarist has sweaty heads and is slipping on the guitar neck without looking, it doesn't get any better.

I'm sorry. I didn't know you were an audio expert. Don't see how you can consider me, an audio technician, to be a novice music listener.

I'm not an expert by any means, however I've experienced "Beats by Dre" before and the sound is lackluster and not worth it.

Jeebuschryst

This. monster beats are amazing.

I'm entitled to my opinion am I not?[/QUOTE]

Your opinion doesn't entitle you to be calling me a novice because you found a cheaper pair of headphones.

I also own Beats, and in my opinion they're not worth the money. They're better then my 10 dollar shop round the corner headphones I used to own but Beethoven would not be pleased.

My biggest complaint with them is that the sound is too muddy, unless you want teeth shattering bass.

Your opinion doesn't entitle you to be calling me a novice because you found a cheaper pair of headphones.

Apparently you're new to the forums, I'm allowed to do as much as I want as long as I am not directly insulting you. Which means I can say things such as what I said with impunity. Beats do NOT have any sort of technical specifications of any sort that makes them better than my pair of headphones. The one thing they do have, is a name. That name entitles the company to charge whatever they like for no other reason that they have Dr. Dre's backing.

Here is some "Beats" Studio headphones tech specs. http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/beats-by-dr-dre/4507-7877_7-33192353.html

These things cost 300$ Yet the frequency response[20-20000Hz] is garbage. The noise level [115dB] is decent, but listening at level will damage your ears, so whats the point?

I own these. http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/RP-HTX7-K1/

7-22000Hz, and 99dB

I think its clear that when a company has to HIDE their tech specs from the audiophiles, they're doing something wrong.

Apparently you're new to the forums, I'm allowed to do as much as I want as long as I am not directly insulting you. Which means I can say things such as what I said with impunity. Beats do NOT have any sort of technical specifications of any sort that makes them better than my pair of headphones. The one thing they do have, is a name. That name entitles the company to charge whatever they like for no other reason that they have Dr. Dre's backing.

Here is some "Beats" Studio headphones tech specs. http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/beats-by-dr-dre/4507-7877_7-33192353.html

These things cost 300$ Yet the frequency response[20-20000Hz] is garbage. The noise level [115dB] is decent, but listening at level will damage your ears, so whats the point?

I own these. http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/RP-HTX7-K1/

7-22000Hz, and 99dB

I think its clear that when a company has to HIDE their tech specs from the audiophiles, they're doing something wrong.[/QUOTE]

Congratulations. Your headphones are quieter and can barely play a lower frequency. Next time don't post a review site that sells the item your against very well. Outstanding reviews, and good customer feedback. If money is the only reason you have to hate the headphones, look at other items people buy all the time. For example, clothes. Nobody is proud to say they spent $10 on a pair of Walmart jeans when they can be flashing around their $50 much higher quality jeans. And I've used those headphones before. A damn good pair for what the competition is but they don't touch the Beats in quality of any form.

Congratulations. Your headphones are quieter and can barely play a lower frequency. Next time don't post a review site that sells the item your against very well. Outstanding reviews, and good customer feedback. If money is the only reason you have to hate the headphones, look at other items people buy all the time. For example, clothes. Nobody is proud to say they spent $10 on a pair of Walmart jeans when they can be flashing around their $50 much higher quality jeans. And I've used those headphones before. A damn good pair for what the competition is but they don't touch the Beats in quality of any form.

What Bergauk trying to say is not all expensive headphones perform better than the cheaper ones. Your choice happen to be one of those overrated headphones that fail to perform like others in the price range. Here is a professional reviews of Monster Beat by Dr Dre that include technical tests and no bias :

http://www.headphoneinfo.com/content/Monster-Beats-by-Dr--Dre-Headphones-Review-544/Performance.htm

To the OP : I would recommend Grado SR80i for entry level, with less than $100, this headphone gives great sound quality and clarity, where loudness is not priority and natural sound a must.

http://www.headphonereviews.org/headphone/Grado/SR80

A step up would be : Grado SR225i a mid level , with price of less than $200

http://www.headphonereviews.org/headphone/Grado/SR225

I have the SR225i for years now, they sound good, bear in mind I used it with my Harman Kardon AVR, while usually I listened to music with my Mordaunt Short Carnival surround speakers set. When I used Grado SR225i, the most stand out are the clarity and details in mid to high which are excellent.

Last edited:
At least the Beats aren't like Bose, where they should cost about $50 for the quality you're getting, but they charge $300 instead. Leaving sound quality aside, the big problem with the Beats is physical build quality, I've heard so many stories of cracking and even having the whole unit snap in half that it's scary.

Please learn how to quote people in the future.

Moving on, Beats are very much over rated and certainly not worth the money. And if you are buying them as a fashion accessory, I'm sorry, and this is coming from the guy with 20 pairs of shoes. There are better brands, with better fit and finish and quality, for less money.

And all models of Turtle Beaches are trash as well.

Azuremen
Please learn how to quote people in the future.

Moving on, Beats are very much over rated and certainly not worth the money. And if you are buying them as a fashion accessory, I'm sorry, and this is coming from the guy with 20 pairs of shoes. There are better brands, with better fit and finish and quality, for less money.

And all models of Turtle Beaches are trash as well.

I concur, beats are too expensive and not worth the money.

I've heard that Soul makes good headphones...

You're like my dad, he has almost 40 pairs of shoes :lol:

I wasn't after the reviews, its just one of the few places on the internet where actual technical specifications exist. This sort of information should be on the companies website. If you have to pay 300$ for a pair of sub-par headphones, you should be allowed to know exactly whats in the headphones you're buying.

By your logic, people should be proud that they bought the top of the line Skullcandys because they have a good brand name. Right? Even though they're garbage, the street cred is worth it. Right?

For the record, 99 dB is plenty loud. Just look at this lovely chart. http://www.coolmath.com/decibels1.htm

Anything louder and you'll start having more and more hearing damage. Have fun listening to air planes landing in your ears. I'm sure your workplace will really appreciate your lack of hearing.

bergauk
For the record, 99 dB is plenty loud. Just look at this lovely chart. http://www.coolmath.com/decibels1.htm

Anything louder and you'll start having more and more hearing damage. Have fun listening to air planes landing in your ears. I'm sure your workplace will really appreciate your lack of hearing.
That's not how that works. While decibels are a rating of volume, headphones are rated on db/mW- decibels/ miliwatt. With headphones, for the most part, being attached to phones, iPods, etc. the higher the number the better as they are easier to drive with the limited output power of portable devices.

Back