High end headphones - Suggestions?

• Thread starter Michael88
  • 73 comments
I picked up a pair of px5s this week. My local Walmart had them mispriced 20% below the cheapest price I could find them anywhere else.
I'm very pleased with them so far.

I'd have to suggest the Pioneer HDJ-1500s. I've had them for a while, they sound amazing, and they're comfortable. I really have yet to find something I don't at least like about them.

And they look dead sexy in silver.

There's no such thing as "gaming" or "Voice chat" headphones. The marketing dept would like you to think that they are optimal for these applications, but the reality is that they are just good enough to use for their stated purpose. You can do better.

The only exception is for audio production where a flat response curve is preferred, and for aviation, etc.

Well, there are headphones that are gaming-oriented because they have microphones and the circuitry to run your own voice through them as you talk so you're not screaming into the mic 'cause you can't hear yourself. I wouldn't buy them for audio quality, though.

circuitry to run your own voice through them as you talk so you're not screaming into the mic 'cause you can't hear yourself.

What? Wat? Wut?

No.

You don't want to hear yourself immediately after you've spoken, as it just sounds absurd and will interfere with the gaming experience while you're playing. I haven't seen a single pair of headphones that will actually play your voice back in your own ears while talking.

Or if they do, there's an obnoxious delay that makes your speech cadence all out of wack because you're listening to yourself while trying to talk.

But the Beats are an overrated brand of headphones. They're not crappy headphones in general per se, but "they aren't worth the amount you paid for" is what a lot of people have agreed on. Surely, an audio technician would know about brand popularity...

As for suggestion for headphones, I would have told you to go buy an AKG brand, but I don't know of any inexpensive models. I'm going to have to say upgrade to an XB700 if "wearing earmuffs in the summer" isn't an issue for you. They go for around $100 these days I think.

They think they can sell them for a higher price because Dr. Dre promotes them.

I have a pair of Bose noise-cancelling headphones my parents bought me for Christmas last year. They are really good headphones, and they fold up into a little leather zip-up package if you travel with them. I really like them.

Didn't like my few experiences with Beats (Studio and Solo), the build quality on the pros is very good though. Very high in high frequencies and low on low, made what I was listening to (Skream) sound wrong.
I did have a listen to the Monster Inspirations today and they sounded and felt really nice. I liked the rotating/swivel hinge and daisy chain feature, although the hinge did seem to hinder isolation a little.
If you're looking for budget phones give the Denon AH-D 510s a go, quite good sound and suited to almost any genre. Not bass heavy as your old Sony cans but still can go low. For some reason the Denons seem as if they're open and not closed.
If you're into bass heavy music the V moda LP2s or M80s really pack a punch. I have LP2s and they sound great with or without an amp, with an amp they have that low volume hard bass I crave.

Depends what you're listening to, if it's music with heavy bass then go for high end Bose headphones, but if its clarity you want then the top end Sennheisers like the HD600 and 650 are pretty unbeatable IMO. They are pricey though... :lol:

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 508's. Great headphones for mid price. If OP's budget is $200 then I also recommend the FiiO e7 headphone amplifier. Some mentioned amps on the first page but no one put forward and example or a recommendation. So there is both. Could also opt to spend less on the amp and more on headphones.

Well, there are headphones that are gaming-oriented because they have microphones and the circuitry to run your own voice through them as you talk so you're not screaming into the mic 'cause you can't hear yourself. I wouldn't buy them for audio quality, though.

Well going of my own experience, Turtle beach headsets have amazing Audio quality. I have a 2000 pound stereo in my car and they sound as good as that, but with less bass of course :D

I have beats pro- $300
Or
A swiss ear bud (name escapes me) $1200

For the value, id go with beats

Damn it, people! Read the thread. We've established that Beats are no good and you can get much better for the money, and here you come bursting in with "For the value, id go with beats"

Has anyone here tried the Yamaha Pro 500 headphones? I hate to step in a big messy argument, but to me they seem like a much higher quality piece of equipment for similar money. I haven't tried either yet, (too rich for my blood. Lol) Thanks to this tread I am seriously looking at a set of Sony XB700's to replace my aging (and somewhat under performing) Sony MDR-CD180's. Has anyone else had the CD-180's to compare to other? Thank for the help everybody!

Finduszip
Damn it, people! Read the thread. We've established that Beats are no good and you can get much better for the money, and here you come bursting in with "For the value, id go with beats"

Agreed! Beats lol, the in ear ones are quite good but the full size one suck ballz badly, go to a shop where you can listen to diffent ones and you'll be surprised how bad beats are compared to Bose for example. http://m.hmv.com/product/details/298612

Back