High end headphones - Suggestions?

• Thread starter Michael88
  • 73 comments
Instead of a new thread, maybe I can squeeze a question in? What are some good quality noise cancelling headphones? I need them for drumming.

I'm the proud owner of a pair of Monster Beats by Dr. Dre. Although the price of them was steep, the sound quality is amazing. Bass notes don't blow your ear drums but sounds as if they threaten to. Treble is perfect. The only downfall I have found to them is the price. Most people say they are a ripoff but with quality items, you do pay for the brand/name printed upside them. If your looking for a great pair of headphones I highly recommended them. Just make sure you get the right model for your needs. And please stray away from cheaper models of Turtle Beach headphones. Those are made for gaming and voice chat.

I had a pair of Beats Tour some time ago. Cost me 80£ on sale. About two months later I bought a pair of House of Marley Smile Jamaica for 20£ which was just as good, if not better. You should check out the Marley's, they're made out of wood and look very reggae, but the sound and quality is amazing and they're reasonably priced.

We haven't heard more details from the OP, but based on his previous headphones I'd say take a look at the Brainwavz HM5. Excuse the name and unfortunate logo, but they're good headphones at a reasonable price. I have their cousin, the Fischer Audio FA-003, which I really like.Their frequency response is pretty accurate and they're able to reach quite low. The'yre also light and comfortable. They come with a lot of appreciated accessories, like a case, extra earpads, and two cables, one long, one short.

Instead of a new thread, maybe I can squeeze a question in? What are some good quality noise cancelling headphones? I need them for drumming.

For a drummer I think excellent passive isolation is more useful than active noise canceling. Take a look at the Extreme Isolation EX series for something that sounds OK but more importantly protects your hearing: http://www.extremeheadphones.com/

Last edited:
Just personal preference, Finduszip. I don't like the W with the radiating waves on the side, or BRAINWAVZ hot stamped on the top. http://www.mp4nation.net/forum/f46/introducing-brainwavz-hm5-pro-studio-monitor-headphones-17057/

It's probably not a big deal. What matters most is the sound, and these sound great. These aren't exactly stylish headphones you'd want to wear on the streets anyway.

I have my Marley's for outdoor use, I just need a good headset for music and gaming.

Those Brainwavz headset dont look too bad, if those cushions are as soft as im assuming they are, i bet they are comfy. So far the most comfortable headsets ive ever worn is the XB series from sony.

Majority of gaming headsets have unnecessarily hard ear pads. I use the wireless headset from sony as well, but i can actually wear them for extended periods unlike Turtle Beach.

I cannot count the number of in ear headphones, I have been through over the last few years - all of them have severely disappointed me to the point, that I had arrived at the belief, that you simply cannot buy any in ear headphone under 200 EUR and expect good sound.

I too look for the perfect one and even would be willing, to pay more, but there is this one bad issue of buying an expensive in ear headphone, just to find out, that it either doesn't fit your ear (always loosing it or even worse, hurting after a while or feeling uncomfortable) or just doesn't sound right.

I think, the best thing to do would be one of the custom-made in ear phone shapes combined with a one of these expensive sets of drivers, going into the 1000 EUR.

Near my place, there is no company, offering a custom fit service, so I am back to off the shelf stuff.

What are the nicest a) in ear, not noise canceling sets, b) small on ear, not noise canceling sets, one can buy for max 200 EUR?

I am mostly listening to progressive Rock, guitar music, Jazz, …

I absolutely hate the bland, mushy (and sadly trendy) sound of dead, bass of the latest "trendy" phones.
I fell among others for a set of in ear beats some months ago and hated them after the first hours (crap materials and design of the in ear part, feeling uncomfortable and getting lost inside your ear !!!).

Beats should be forbidden - such bad stuff at this price point. Many of the ~30 − 50 EUR sets, I tried were not worse in sound, just didn't have the fancy cables and posh design.

Among the nicest, compact headsets, I remember using were the foldable Sony in ear sets, that came with the top of the line "Walkman" back in the early 90's.

I'm pretty sure the HM5's are the exact same as the FA-003 sonically, just that they're rebranded.

The Fischer Audio FA-003, Lindy Premium Hi-Fi, and Brainwavz HM5 are all manufactured by OEM Yoga Electronics of Tawain. The model in question is the CD-880. As far as I'm aware, Fischer, Lindy, and Brainwavz don't voice the headphones for their application, so they should all sound the same. Fischer does sell replacement wooden earcups which can affect the sound, but I haven't heard them. I think they sound fine stock.

Yesterday I bought something from Solic, a pair of SLR 839MV's, and these are really great. And they cost absolutely nothing! You'll get about 15 of these for a Beats Solo, which I have tried, and was just as good as these. They also don't look too bad either.

I cannot count the number of in ear headphones, I have been through over the last few years - all of them have severely disappointed me to the point, that I had arrived at the belief, that you simply cannot buy any in ear headphone under 200 EUR and expect good sound.

I too look for the perfect one and even would be willing, to pay more, but there is this one bad issue of buying an expensive in ear headphone, just to find out, that it either doesn't fit your ear (always loosing it or even worse, hurting after a while or feeling uncomfortable) or just doesn't sound right.

I think, the best thing to do would be one of the custom-made in ear phone shapes combined with a one of these expensive sets of drivers, going into the 1000 EUR.

Near my place, there is no company, offering a custom fit service, so I am back to off the shelf stuff.

What are the nicest a) in ear, not noise canceling sets, b) small on ear, not noise canceling sets, one can buy for max 200 EUR?

I am mostly listening to progressive Rock, guitar music, Jazz, …

I absolutely hate the bland, mushy (and sadly trendy) sound of dead, bass of the latest "trendy" phones.
I fell among others for a set of in ear beats some months ago and hated them after the first hours (crap materials and design of the in ear part, feeling uncomfortable and getting lost inside your ear !!!).

Beats should be forbidden - such bad stuff at this price point. Many of the ~30 − 50 EUR sets, I tried were not worse in sound, just didn't have the fancy cables and posh design.

Among the nicest, compact headsets, I remember using were the foldable Sony in ear sets, that came with the top of the line "Walkman" back in the early 90's.

You should have a look at B&W C5s. They come with the usual selection of ear buds, but there's also a frame that adjusts to hold the 'phone in your ear. Once you've experimented with the fit and placement, they're amazing. They retail for about £150, so you may be able to bring them in on budget.

Those Brainwavz headset dont look too bad, if those cushions are as soft as im assuming they are, i bet they are comfy. So far the most comfortable headsets ive ever worn is the XB series from sony.

Majority of gaming headsets have unnecessarily hard ear pads. I use the wireless headset from sony as well, but i can actually wear them for extended periods unlike Turtle Beach.

As gaming headsets go, I like my Tritton AX 720 quite a bit. Obviously not the greatest audio quality, although I was pretty impressed with them for watching Blu-Rays, but they're quite comfortable for long-term wear.

Maybe it's just me, but In-ears have always appealed to me as the portable light-weight version of headphones and thus every quality is going to go down except for portability. In other words, when I purchase in-ears, I'm not expecting anything fantastic, nor would I spent anywhere about $50 for a pair. If I wanted to spend more money and expect better sound, I'd have purchased Around-ears for that.

I have a pair of passive noise cancelling headphones. It's called the Vic Firth SIH1. It usually retails for $60 new(you can find it for $50 new at some sites). This pair used to be my brother's and I took them before my brother threw them out(Part in the left speaker broke but still worked without distortion at 90% or less volume. The distortion comes when there are some loud bass at more than 90% volume). So far they are 10 years old and the ear pads only started to rip from wearing it over my glasses. It's advertised to cancel out 24 decibels. If you are just looking for a headphone without the speaker part then look at Vic Firth's Drummer Headphones.

nick09
I have a pair of passive noise cancelling headphones. It's called the Vic Firth SIH1. It usually retails for $60 new(you can find it for $50 new at some sites). This pair used to be my brother's and I took them before my brother threw them out(Part in the left speaker broke but still worked without distortion at 90% or less volume. The distortion comes when there are some loud bass at more than 90% volume). So far they are 10 years old and the ear pads only started to rip from wearing it over my glasses. It's advertised to cancel out 24 decibels. If you are just looking for a headphone without the speaker part then look at Vic Firth's Drummer Headphones.

Don't the ones with speakers have a big jack? I need the normal size that fits something like an iPhone.

Most headphones these days come with 3.5mm jack (normal) and an adapter for the bigger one.

For PC gaming i use my Sony XB-1000's and while playing BF3, explosions sometimes make me jump because it sounds pretty damn real XD

I have and that's what it had.

I'm kinda confused by your sentence. But to simply answer, yes, it has a 3.5mm jack and it comes with a 6.3mm jack adapter. The headphones also have a 10ft long cord. Though for it's intended purposes that is not a con.

nick09
I'm kinda confused by your sentence. But to simply answer, yes, it has a 3.5mm jack and it comes with a 6.3mm jack adapter. The headphones also have a 10ft long cord. Though for it's intended purposes that is not a con.

Sorry it had a bigger jack and no adapter.

hennessey86
Just purchased a set of Turtle beach PX5 and they are brilliant and I highly recommend them

Turtle Beach headsets are for gaming and voice chat. As a pair of headphones for music, the dollar store can do better.

There's no such thing as "gaming" or "Voice chat" headphones. The marketing dept would like you to think that they are optimal for these applications, but the reality is that they are just good enough to use for their stated purpose. You can do better.

The only exception is for audio production where a flat response curve is preferred, and for aviation, etc.

Back