HKS controller

• Thread starter ForNgoods
  • 324 comments
mark2002
Use it, I have one and its far better than the standard pad.

Huh? Really? Well i guess everyone's different. I really like the Sixaxis alot better, especially using the right analog for acceleration/braking. The reason i don't like it, and it was posted in that previous thread, that the control is pretty bad, ot needs more resistance, to give you better throttle control. And also the turning wheel needs more grip.

And in my opinion, you are best of saving for a DFGT.

Huh? Really? Well i guess everyone's different. I really like the Sixaxis alot better, especially using the right analog for acceleration/braking. The reason i don't like it, and it was posted in that previous thread, that the control is pretty bad, ot needs more resistance, to give you better throttle control. And also the turning wheel needs more grip.

And in my opinion, you are best of saving for a DFGT.

Seeing as my PS3 is under the lounge tv a wheel is not an option for me, plus deing disabled i cannot sit still for very long and constantly moving from settee to the floor and back.

ok thanks guys. I checked the other thread out and I think I'm gonna stay away from it and save for the wheel. I'll also need to get a mount and I've seen some that guys have built out of pvc and it folds up under the couch which is perfect because the girlfriend would not approve of me having something bulky in the living room.

DnBasshead007
ok thanks guys. I checked the other thread out and I think I'm gonna stay away from it and save for the wheel. I'll also need to get a mount and I've seen some that guys have built out of pvc and it folds up under the couch which is perfect because the girlfriend would not approve of me having something bulky in the living room.

The mount is so important. I got the first logictech official GT wheel a long time when it came out and built a mount out of wood in shop class when I was in high school that folds up. Since the wheel shakes so much the stupid mount is all loose and I have to tighten all the bolts all the time, which is so annoying. If you build one make sure it's strong and adjustable so you fit it to your height.

Build one with a second seat and tell her you where thinking of her. Now she can come along for the ride.

invest in a nice solid desk.

The filmsy stands get ragged around a lot and rock all over, the big cages are expensive and you look like a douchebag/can't use it for anything else

I can't add much to what's allready been said.

I don't think the cord is a problem, it really IS long enough for any kind of use. The display is, I agree, just for show. You never notice it while racing.

I'd recommend it to anyone not using a steering wheel! Racing with a DS3 controller is just taking away too much from the game. The HKS controller adds a lot of feedback and control/precision.

The feedback in steering compared to a wheel, is clearly favoring the wheel, but really fast countersteering is actually (I think) faster with the HKS - but I could be wrong, as I only occasionally use a wheel, while I have extensive practice on the HKS.

I was forced to go the HKS way, as I have no room for a wheel, but today, I think I'd prefer the HKS over a wheel. The HKS has a significant price advantage, and I'm not sure I think the wheel adds all that much more.

The HKS has one disadvantage, though: It wears out.
I'm on my second HKS now. The potentiometers get worn out, and I couldn't fix it in any way. At first, there seemed to be some lag on the throttle now and then. Then it got worse. I dicovered I could make it go away by wiggleing the speeder from side to side. It was a bit of a nuisance, but manageable. But then the steering strated "lagging", and that frequently put me off-track. I took the thing apart, but the potmeters are not serviceable, so not much I could do about it. Thank god it's cheap and available!

How many hours and how much battering did it take to wear it out? Well.... I don't know. I didn't keep a log, and my attention span is limited. But I didn't treat it well. I have to admit I have dropped it on the floor a couple of times, but I've never intentionally thrown it at anything :)

Do I consider this a cruzial disadvantage? No, I just bought 2 more of them, so I have one in store, when the next one fails...

I have this controller. It is 8 million times better than a DS3, and almost as good as a wheel. The steering looks confusing, but it's actually not. I got used to it after the 2nd race I did with it.

I have this controller. It is 8 million times better than a DS3, and almost as good as a wheel. The steering looks confusing, but it's actually not. I got used to it after the 2nd race I did with it.
Ditto i fully agree.

I just purchased this controller its amazing. I was having the same problem as everyone else who bought this controller using it with GT5. When the gas button is pressed 30%, on screen it shows its fully pressed leaving you with allot of unused pressure. Using the R2 and L2 triggers for gas and brake they are setup for more movement. You get better throttle pressure throughout the whole trigger. What I did in GT5 was setup the R2 and L2 trigger as gas and brake, and switch the controller to NFS (Need For Speed) mode. You get more range out of the X and square buttons. Its not perfect but now you use the whole button for acceleration, and the LCD pressure on the control is synced better with the pressure its showing on screen. This worked for me even on other racing games. Still getting used to the scroll steering wheel, If used correctly you will enter and come out of corners smoother. Some people thought I was using a wheel. My lap times got faster by half a second and getting better.

Last edited:
I just purchased this controller its amazing. I was having the same problem as everyone else...

Somehow I don't think any of the other replies made it to my inbox this year, and/or I was obscenely drunk the night I read them. :lol: With that said, thanks for the reply.. I'd all but forgotten about the HKS. 👍

I love it. I'm sticking with my G27, but that is a great idea.

any body know if they have a similar thing for xbox 360???

PC and PS3 I use the G27 but I want some thing a little better for FORZA 4 (but I'm not going to buy a wheel for xbox)

to be honest, I found the hks controller a little disappointing. Even when I set the gas and brake to the R & L buttons and flip the switch on the back, I don't feel much difference in the amount of pressure I'm using vs the amount I'm accelerating/braking. Also there's so much resistance on the front gas/brake buttons that my thumb actually gets sore with extended play. It's a shame bc this controller had so much potential but was a let down imo.

My wife bought me one as a gift last year. I was very excited about the prospect of using it for general racing and maybe getting better than bronzes on the Vettel challenge. It got used for about 2 weeks and has sat in my drawer ever since....

...Even when I set the gas and brake to the R & L buttons and flip the switch on the back, I don't feel much difference in the amount of pressure I'm using vs the amount I'm accelerating/braking...

Dang, that stinks. (but good to know, thx) What's odd about this particular problem, (at least where the DS3 & analog sticks are concerned), is it seems to not totally be a hardware issue.. I'd always assumed the same discrepancy of stick movement, to say steering, was due to cheap electronic components. Then I played Nascar-09 I think it was, which actually made use of a pretty full stick sweep compared to setting steering on the same stick in another game. What that tells me is it's almost gotta be a flub on the software side of things.

Last edited:
I think i might try it out , pretty shure i saw one at gamestop lastime i was there. i wonder if HKS is gonna drop a new one somtime in the future a
GT5 edition would really sell .

...i wonder if HKS is gonna drop a new one somtime in the future a
GT5 edition would really sell .

Definitely agreed there. I think that's part of the reason I've not tried the original yet.. am hoping for a revision/2nd edition of sorts! Well, that and I've got waay too many cars IRL, haha. (and still no wheel for GT5 because of it! :P)

It's great to see this thread. I have been getting back into Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit on the PC and was looking for a new controller since it does not seem to be a game that lends itself to a wheel. The HKS Racing Controller is pretty cheap these days, so I picked one up. The packaging is ridiculous, and I could do without the silly "sponsor decals", but the candy apple finish is lovely. Build quality seems just a notch below the Sixaxis. I've only used it with the PC so far via MotioninJoy, but it works perfectly. The steering dial is just great. It's so much easier to hold a steady line in a sweeper, and it's much easier to countersteer without getting into a tank-slapper. Unfortunately my dial will sometimes not snap back to center after turning full right, but that never matters in-game, since my thumb never leaves the wheel. The gas and brake "pedals" are a bit of a letdown though. They're precise, but they're sprung way too firmly. I wish they were rubberized, with the same material they used on the L-stick, which is soft and tacky. My thumb gets a little sore after a lot of racing. I like them more than my DualShock RealTriggers (overpriced but essential), but still not as much as the Xbox 360 Controller triggers, which are just about perfect. If a wheel is out of reach and you're still looking for a little more precision vs the stock controller, you might want to check out the HKS Racing Controller. I can't recommend it to everyone, but as a sucker for novel controllers, I really like it, especially for arcade racers.

Lucky me for having G27 wheel. I don't have to look or experiment and learn how to play all over again with something new like HKS Controller.

But if NegCon was some how reincarnated, then i would recommend as a real alternative for wheel.

HKS looks great but learning process how to use it, must be pain in the crack :ouch: With NegCon it was but i was worth it 👍

Lucky me for having G27 wheel. I don't have to look or experiment and learn how to play all over again with something new like HKS Controller.

But if NegCon was some how reincarnated, then i would recommend as a real alternative for wheel.

HKS looks great but learning process how to use it, must be pain in the crack :ouch: With NegCon it was but i was worth it 👍

I've got a GT2, and believe me, this is no replacement. It's a big step up for a lot of arcade style racers though. They're often made for controllers, and are rarely tuned to work properly with a wheel.

Yes, I miss the NegCon. It had a learning curve, for sure. But it was incredibly precise. The HKS has no learning curve in my opinion. I was improving my NFS: HP times within minutes.

...The gas and brake "pedals" are a bit of a letdown though. They're precise, but they're sprung way too firmly. I wish they were rubberized, with the same material they used on the L-stick, which is soft and tacky...

I can't recommend this 100%, as I don't yet have one/have never seen their gizzards & some people simply aren't into this type of thing.. but it might be possible to take one apart & re-spring the pedals a bit lighter. If I got one & ran into the same issue, I'd at least check out the possibility of doing so. I've also never looked & doubt there are accessories for it, but I've got softer, grippier rubber pads for my stock PS3 controller's sticks, so maaybe there're similar out there for the HKS somewhere.. (put trigger extensions & a larger than stock capacity battery pack in my sixaxxis as well, all for like $5 total 👍)

I took mine apart today. There's no easy way to remove the pedal buttons without desoldering or risking breaking the plastic mount, so I aborted my tuning effort. I don't want to turn it into a project yet. I did adjust and shave the wheel dial though, and now it doesn't stick.

There very good. I had one and would put them halfway between a wheel and a sony pad, well worth the money and will get you better times.

Back