HKS controller

• Thread starter ForNgoods
  • 324 comments
Just picked one up last week. Been driving lots with it in f1, nfs-hp and of course gt5. I say the steering is awesome! It feels very much like a wheel, the amount and precision of control that is. The car is much steadier with minor steering adjustments in corners and long curves. Excellent control for a pad. Its pretty well built and feels good. The rest of the buttons are just ok.

In my opinion if this controller eliminates the "lag" the DS3 has then I'm gonna get it! 👍

I've never noticed a lag before, is this only after alot of use because I usually replace my ds3 as soon as the joystick gets even remotely wobbly lol

I've never noticed a lag before, is this only after alot of use because I usually replace my ds3 as soon as the joystick gets even remotely wobbly lol
Well I can feel a certain "lag" when I was driving the X1 with the DS3, especially when you go from fully left to fully right (and vice versa) really fast. Sometimes it feels like the control isn't responsive enough... even if the lag were a few milliseconds it is enough for me to lose control of the X1! Also there is a reason why some gaming peripherals prefer to have wired controllers over wireless.

This article seems to have a lot covered on this:
Console Gaming: The Lag Factor

Ok... I just got this thing tonight at GS for 45 bucks... 5 bucks less than the normal controller and It Is Sick! The gas & brake are sooooo much better now and the wheel button is cool but will take some getting used to. I moved the e-brake to r1 and am currently using the normal analog stick to steer. This seems like the perfect solution to me, as it seems you have to spend 300 bucks to get a nice wheel now days and this thing doesn't take up a huge amount of space like a wheel or need bungee cords or squeezy balls for tension. My only complaints are that it isnt wireless, but the cord is really long, and the color (kinda).
Also the digital readout is super cool.

GameStop just lowered the price to $34.99(got one today). Very impressed so far. The lack of full use of graduated acceleration with the X button can be remedied by decreasing the controller sensitivity option under driving options. Takes a little getting used to, but highly recommended if a racing wheel is out of reach.

GameStop just lowered the price to $34.99(got one today). Very impressed so far. The lack of full use of graduated acceleration with the X button can be remedied by decreasing the controller sensitivity option under driving options. Takes a little getting used to, but highly recommended if a racing wheel is out of reach.

I should have gone to your gamestop. :)

Can you do a Lap on a DS3 around a track and do the same lap on your HKS controller on the same track with the same car to see if it's really an improvement.
Also I'm curious to know which configuration you're using on DS3 ? L2/R2 to brake/accel or X/[ ] ?

I bought this thinking it was going to make me faster after testing it for 2 days and getting use to driving with that setup i decided to test it on one track with one car for many laps after about 50 laps a grand valley east with a calibra i got about 1:56.465 i then did the same laps trying to beat that time with a DS3 the way i used to race at the end i fastest lap i did with ds3 was of 1:56.325 so I actually beat the time of Hsk controller and through out these days I notice that im about the same times with hsk and ds3 and all hype doesnt really help you much. the gas pedals and brakes are almost the same thing that of using r2 r1 on ds3 i dont think it changes a damn thing on it and steering seems the same. ppl say they buy this and start being faster by a few seconds will looks to me im about same thing. plus the whole setup is akward you need to let go of gas to brake and with ds3 i dont need to let go of any button so I think i lose some .300sec on during that plus the back keys of the hsk are just so bad and everything is just harsh on your hand and fingers.

Too be honest, i have the controller, and Frankly it cannot the steering wheel, and its not better than the DS3, it is on equal terms. If it was more refined, more accurate on the steering and "pedals", then it would be great, but because they are too sensitive, i really don't see it being as an alternative to a wheel.

I have one too. I'd say that there's no problem if you first remap the controls to something more comfortable then getting used to the controller itself for a while.

i have the controller too,but i have to say NO to the gas and brake pedal..as it was not that accurate when you want to press half way down,it will go pedal to the metal thingy..i dont like that.but the steering is smooth..been using it a few times since i bought it last month,just to show off my friends tho..lol

its all bad i mean why come out with a controller like this if you dont test it and do not have the use of gas a brake because it doesnt do the right job if they would we be talking another talk but it doesnt long live the wheel but then again the pedals on a wheel is the same thing you need to put a sock on the back of the brake to give you full motion and not sensitivity

I just thought of another thing. If steering isn't sensitive enough, isn't there that option to control steering sensitivity? It was included in one of GT5's updates, better make use of it now.

I just thought of another thing. If steering isn't sensitive enough, isn't there that option to control steering sensitivity? It was included in one of GT5's updates, better make use of it now.

Yeah, that made a HUGE difference. I recommend setting it between 5 and 7.

KkAaZzOo
its all bad i mean why come out with a controller like this if you dont test it and do not have the use of gas a brake because it doesnt do the right job if they would we be talking another talk but it doesnt long live the wheel but then again the pedals on a wheel is the same thing you need to put a sock on the back of the brake to give you full motion and not sensitivity

This is unreadable. Please familiarize yourself w/ punctuations and try again.

Anyone having issues with the brake button on the HKS controller? Full braking seems to be in the first 10% of button movement - very hard to brake gradually and to avoid locking the brakes up.
Other than the brake button, the throttle and steering are great. I find it easier to hold a line and the steering less "jerky" than the dualshock.

Anyone having issues with the brake button on the HKS controller? Full braking seems to be in the first 10% of button movement - very hard to brake gradually and to avoid locking the brakes up.
Other than the brake button, the throttle and steering are great. I find it easier to hold a line and the steering less "jerky" than the dualshock.

agreed

Thanks for the very good review. I've picked the HKS up before at Gamestop, looked at it and talked myself out of it. I just might get it now. The wired controller is not a gamebreaker for me. Thanks again!

Try lowering the brake balance in your car. 3/2 works well for most cars (<600pp).

I have one and don't use it. The face buttons give me blisters. The only good thing about this controller is the joystick... which is fantastic, and much better than the DS3!!

Been playing with it for about 2 weeks now because I am in the no room or money for a wheel and pedals camp and I liked the steering but was a little disappointed with the throttle and brake sensitivity.

I saw this thread and remapped as described and it was literally game changing. It took about 2 laps to get used to the buttons working a little differently then shaved anywhere from a couple to several seconds per lap on every track I tried it on. The more trouble I had controlling the car with the old settings, the more of an improvement I got with the new.

For me it was most noticeable in heavy braking situations, I was able to brake a lot more smoothly in situations like the first turn on the Indy road course (Challenger seasonal event)
👍👍👍

Same thing happened to me.

It seems like a fun thing to use.

I agree with some of the criticism about not being wireless if that is true. I think if you are going that far to design a controller you might as well go all the way. Though the cord would not be a deal breaker for me.

Its definitely an innovative way to play if you can't afford a wheel. Looks like it is well made, but the non-wireless is a drawback.

Apparently the wired mode only is to prevent lag!!

Anyone used the US amazon site to buy one of these in the UK. I'd be interested in your experiences, since the thing is about half the price over there.

I just saw this at my local GameStop about a week or two ago and was curious myself. I didn't get it. It is interesting.

My wife surprised me with the HKS PS3 Racing Controller today! It seems that just a few here have one. If anyone is interested in a review on the controller I'd be happy to post my thoughts.

Sqk

Back