HKS controller

• Thread starter ForNgoods
  • 324 comments
TeddyBear-420
its garbage

Dont be rude come on now. After seeing so many senior people here complain about new members someone with 1000+ posts should be slightly more respectful eh?

Anyways greats on controller i'm still using ds3, would love to get something better.

So if you were excited about a controller our game you would want that reaction from somebody?

Anyway let me know how it works it for you eh.

First off to TeddyBear..., dude get over yourself. Just because you sucked at using this controller doesn't mean it's crap. It's called a "LEARNING CURVE". Once you get used to this thing the last thing it does is SUCK.

I think this contoller is AMAZING when compared to the standard DS3. IMO it's well worth it. Keep in mind that with something like this there's obviously going to be an adjustment period.

For all of you out there who use the traditional GT controller setup with the X and Square for acceleration and braking.., once you adjust the gas and break pedals on this thing they are freakin KILLER for GT-5 IMO.

Now.., for Shift-2.., gotta be honest in that this controller really shows how sloppy the steering input is for S2U.

If you guys want a detailed UP TO DATE review and not going back to a thread started LAST year.., let me know and I'll post a detailed review for it.

So if you were excited about a controller our game you would want that reaction from somebody?

Anyway let me know how it works it for you eh.

Truth hurts sometimes it's ok man he's a grown man i'm sure he can handle hearing his controller may/may not be garbage..

Besides he has it to find out for himself if he thinks it's awesome he's not gonna come on here and see teddy say it's garbage and suddenly think oh yeah it's crapola.

It's just one person's opinion, not everyone is gonna like it.

Truth hurts sometimes it's ok man he's a grown man i'm sure he can handle hearing his controller may/may not be garbage..

Besides he has it to find out for himself if he thinks it's awesome he's not gonna come on here and see teddy say it's garbage and suddenly think oh yeah it's crapola.

Exactly.., just because someone else says it's garbage doesn't mean I'm taking their word for it. I test things out MYSELF and make my OWN decisions when testing gear.

I've seen numerous posts on other sites where people spent very little time with it and said it sucks. Hell.., it's no where near a traditional DS3 controller.., and obviously it takes a little adjusting.

It works very well better than a DS3, but not as good as a wheel. You just have to set it up right, set throttle and brake to L2 R2 and set the switch on the back of the controller to NFS instead of GT, This will make the gas and brake X and Square. There is a thread from awhile ago thats how I got this. I also set steering to 6 or 7. Give it alittle practice and you'll blowing buy your ghost from DS3 replays.

Dont be rude come on now. After seeing so many senior people here complain about new members someone with 1000+ posts should be slightly more respectful eh?

Anyways greats on controller i'm still using ds3, would love to get something better.

👍👍

First off to TeddyBear..., dude get over yourself. Just because you sucked at using this controller doesn't mean it's crap.

Awesome :sly:

Truth hurts sometimes. It's ok man. He's a grown man i'm sure he can handle hearing his controller may/may not be garbage..

Besides, he has it to find out for himself. If he thinks it's awesome he's not gonna come on here and see teddy say it's garbage and suddenly think oh yeah it's crapola.

It's just one person's opinion, not everyone is gonna like it.

A little punctuation next time bud?

I thought about buying this thing too when I first saw it. I realized I didn't really need it since I'm pretty good at feathering the throttle with the X button(for all those who say the X button isn't pressure sensitive....you're wrong...you just don't know how to do it). :sly: But that review link that was posted is a pretty good one already. I think we can assume your review just from the few posts you have here.

The HKS controller is OK for people that are used to the classic X-SQUARE button configuration. If steering is numb, there's steering sensitivity. You're wrong about that, TeddyBear-420.

The HKS controller is OK for people that are used to the classic X-SQUARE button configuration. If steering is numb, there's steering sensitivity. You're wrong about that, TeddyBear-420.

Interesting! VERY interesting!

Just a couple of questions about it - I think this thread's a bit more up-to-date;

a) Will it work with the normal PC driver? (I think it should...)
b) Are the L2+R2 buttons analogue?

Interesting! VERY interesting!

Just a couple of questions about it - I think this thread's a bit more up-to-date;

a) Will it work with the normal PC driver? (I think it should...)
b) Are the L2+R2 buttons analogue?

Wait a minute, by steering sensitivity I was referring to that steering sensitivity adjustment that was introduced in one of the patches.

Anyways,
1. I've yet to test it with MotionInJoy, but for now, they should work without a problem.
2. Nope. Pretty much why the X-SQUARE buttons are analogue.

its garbage for me the brake doesn't work :grumpy:

I love the HKS controller!
I don't have the space for a wheel, ans the HKS makes me a lot faster than with a DS3 controller.
I wore out my HKS though. Had to buy a new one. But hey - it's cheap and I love it!

rittig
i love the hks controller!
I don't have the space for a wheel, ans the hks makes me a lot faster than with a ds3 controller.
I wore out my hks though. Had to buy a new one. But hey - it's cheap and i love it!

+1 ;)

I love the HKS controller!
I don't have the space for a wheel, ans the HKS makes me a lot faster than with a DS3 controller.
I wore out my HKS though. Had to buy a new one. But hey - it's cheap and I love it!

you bought 2. are they like 50 euro if so 30 euro more and you could have a wheel. DFGT 130 euro

Threads merged.
you bought 2. are they like 50 euro if so 30 euro more and you could have a wheel. DFGT 130 euro
I think you missed a rather important point:
I don't have the space for a wheel
I considered looking into the HKS but as my PS3 quit working, that settled that right quick. Glad to see that some of you are liking it, though. 👍

Just picked one up from my local Gamestop. Apparently, he hadn't sold a single one yet. Don't know if that's good or bad. I just hope it gives me a little better driving accuracy without having to dig out my wheel for a quick race.

And now that I've tried it out on GT5, I can honestly say that I do like it better than the DualShock. The sensitivity when steering is the biggest plus. The accelerator and brake aren't nearly as useful, because the DualShock has analog R2/L2 anyway (this one does not), and I find my thumb gets more tired mashing the accelerator than even on the standard X button. The START button is too soft, but that may just be my controller. I do like the long wire, as that just means I don't have to worry about lag or dead batteries. It does have a Macro button as well, and I am quite keen on the design.

Overall, I'd say it was a step up from the standard controller, when it comes to racing games, but falls well short of a wheel.

Last edited:
I'm going to give some extra kudos to this controller. After a few tries, I was finally able to gold the last license test with it (IB slalom). I tried numerous times with a wheel and with a normal controller, but for some reason, this HKS controller handled the job better. Perhaps it's the steering "wheel" part of it, that gives you just enough sensitivity.

I'm half tempted to see if I can finally complete the Vettel challenge with it :D

This thing looks really awesome, actually. I may have to pick one up.

I just wish the LCD could be a gear indicator, that's the only thing I miss when I turn off the HUD and use cockpit view in games.

that would be usless.. Looking down at the pad evry time you want to shift a gear!

Hello everyone. I picked up GT5 about a month and a half ago and am playing with the DS3 and was wondering if anyone has tried the HKS controller for this game and what they think of it. I've read mixed reviews and wanted to here it from hardcore GT5 gamers. If it sucks then I'll just save for the DFGT. Thanks.

I think there was a thread posted about this some time ago. i think basically it is ok, the pedals on it are not very good though, seemingly they are either on or off.

Yeah was a good thread about this and one or two other similar controllers, try searching "HKS", I think there was something about the throttle and brake being odd but not if you set them to NFS config, I may have dreamed that though.

It looks cool and useful, but nothing is gonna give you that real racing experience like an actual wheel. Just remember you need some sorta of mount as well

Back