hot rods, muscle cars, customs...

• Thread starter Cano
  • 6,010 comments
Who out there remembers this famous 1/4 mile wheelstander :

2425569158_24521ae77e.jpg

Who out there remembers this famous 1/4 mile wheelstander :

*snip*

There's an awesome background of that year H.U.G Barracuda here at goodwood.

I personally prefer this one :sly:, but they're all good.

2216355715_d4e0334e31.jpg

Another very interesting H.U.G car was the Oldsmobile they had which had an engine in the front and back. This is the best picture I could find, not much on the net about it which is too bad.

hrdp_0212_01_z+hurst_hairy_oldsmobile+oldsmobile.jpg

I'm just not buying the whole "rat rod as parking lot art object" trend.

Real Rats were made to be driven, hard, fast, and often. The Rat movement grew out of the real overpowered greaser jalopies of the '50s. The neo-rats used to poke fun at the paint-and-chrome crowd, but they've turned into nothing but the same overdone trailer bitches. Just with flat black paint and bad welding.

Eh well with the "rat rods", they at least look different in some way. With the traditional rods, they all look the same nowadays, with the only difference being the color.

And rat rods are different... how? They're even all the same color: flat black. It's just a matter of how much rust they've sprayed on.

True...I do think a real rat would be the following

Take old car.
swap engine with period '50s, early '60s mill.
use period performance parts.
and a little backyard engineering.
and never, ever finish it.

Many current "rat" cars are simply caricatures, no pun intended. An extreme variation on the idea of a "custom" that never made it past a certain phase, was unfinished, if you will.

I suppose the guys with Civics rocking stock wheels with lowered suspension, and with half a bodykit, would be the modern version of the image a "Rat Rod" attempts to portray. Unfinished business.

in its early days ratty cars used to be associated with the 'bad kids' that didnt care about their cars giving rodding a bad public impression. so it says here in the copy of HopUp from 51 i have
now its a trendy 'unfinished' fad by some that want to be cool, sometimes though they do have genuine style and it works.

I have a thing for gassers and altered wheelbases

G2SMc5545cb4-3b89-49ca-9094-a38ddff.jpg

GSM03.jpg

GSM04.jpg

ark482.jpg

attachmentlz9.jpg

The very first of the Ramchargers so its good

high-and-mighty.jpg

d10-ramchargersindy.jpg

Camaro in the Baja 1000 or 500 I don't remember

DSC00657.jpg

I just fudged my pants. This is spectacular, its way hard to find something really new under the sun but this guy blew it, amazingly awesome and pretty damn coherent!!! whoever did this knows how to weld. It needs those strobe lamps removed and some king bees instaled, but otherwise, incredible.

And the gray model A with a HEMI that's burnin the tires was a feature car of Hot Rod Deluxe like 6 years ago, its awesome.

Back