Hot Wheels and Matchbox Customizing Thread

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 9,230 comments
What else can you use to remove the decals from the car, other than nail varnish remover.

Various paint thinners should do.
But be even more careful of the paint than with acetone.

Just don't douse the body with acetone, or let it linger for too long. It's not as strong as thinner, but it evapourates pretty quickly so that's like the unintended "safety" aspect of it.

No paint thinners, mos of the time they are too extreme for removing tampos, specially with today's cheap-ass painjobs. You may peel your paint off or make it looose its shine.

Thanks for the help, i can't seem to find my old box of cars :( oh well i do have some 1:40 scale cars for now, might give them a shot.

No paint thinners, mos of the time they are too extreme for removing tampos, specially with today's cheap-ass painjobs. You may peel your paint off or make it looose its shine.

Well, what can I say, I like to live on the edge! :dopey:

Came across this in the HWC Customs Forums.
He said the the suspension base was off of a JL truck. I'm heading over to Toys R Us right after class to pick me up one of those JLs that I've seen there for ages.
I would straight up post the pictures, but I can't for some reason. :yuck:

So I bought all these RRC wheels in sizes 1 & 2 for my Shelbys.... only to find out they use sizes 2 & 3... FML.

Cano. Do you want a Rigor Motor Boulevard donor?

A few more wheelswaps for ya guys.

I finally found this Tomica at my Toys R Us today and knew I could do better with the wheels.

Same wheels off a Garage Daytona on a 2010 Mustang GT that I'm still deciding what to do with.

I got this over the weekend. Probably wasn't even worth posting.

Eh, not feelin' this as much as I did when I first did it.

I think this is one of my favorite wheelswaps to date.

I really like these though too.​

I want those damn Star wheels!

Also, I was reading an article about how you should prioritized your different paints should you choose to do so. This article was talking about painting character figurines so knowing this makes this picture a little more understandable:

e19dce21.jpg

Lacquer's the strongest "whatever" so don't put lacquer on top of acrylic or enamel or it'll dissolve those paints.

In another article, they explain how to make clean lines when brushing by hand. Since lines will almost never come out perfectly straight or sharp when we detail by hand, their solution was to take another brush to wipe off the excess with a tiny dab of paint thinner... in their case, enamel thinner on enamel paint:

c8b64a90.jpg

I might have to grab that Enamel paint set from Toys R Us now. Might consider it if I ever need more colours to use.

Last edited:
Those look legit :0

Also, AOStina, I just found the PERFECT front wheels for the Morris Wagon. I was worried about those, but these are like made for it. You'll see.

Yeah this mini-hardware isn't cheap either. Have to get the washers from the hobby store ($5 pack of 10) and the screws are $.53 cents each at True Value. :eek:

Lacquer's the strongest "whatever" so don't put lacquer on top of acrylic or enamel or it'll dissolve those paints.

That's often the case, but not always. You can get away with spraying laquer on top of enamel and even acrylic surprisingly often, but you have to test it out first, whereas if you paint enamel over enamel or acrylic over enamel or whatever you know that it will come out perfectly fine 99% of the time.

Oh? Figured it was just a general rule of thumb, but okay.

Also, AOStina, I just found the PERFECT front wheels for the Morris Wagon. I was worried about those, but these are like made for it. You'll see.

What? Cragars? har har har.

Guess what though? I was looking through my donors, pulled out one of these:

64_chevy_chevelle_ss_2012_red.png

and thought how cool would it be if I ripped the engine out of the Morris Wagon and stuck it on this guy, maybe take the exhausts off the Bone shaker and slap them up underneath and installed some thick-ass rear tires on it...

What? Cragars? har har har.

Not actually Cragars, but Radirs. I picked up two of these today:

sa4444848101-th.jpg

I had never seen these "Speed burners" by Mego Corp, they are pull-back powered... or mine were, lol. But their front wheels are awesome, here's an example:
$%28KGrHqV,!ikFBIYpquTFBQeNt,ERlw~~60_57.JPG

Not only are they almost a carbon copy of Radirs, they are also quite thin like any decent drag car's front tires should be, and they are pretty bigger, diameter size, than whatever 1:64 wheels I have come across. This means that the Morris will actually look it's real size -small- when I bolt these up. I already have rear meats for it. It's gonna look awesome.

Some website called those "flat cragars"....judge me how you want about my ignorance for wheel style names, I blame no one making a site that tells me the actual proper name. :grumpy:

haha, flat Cragars? wtf. There is no such a thing. The center on Cragars is always a little pushed up to the front. Radirs on the other hand were flat.

Cragars:

cragar_ss.jpg

Radirs:

Radir-Satin2.jpg

There is also a Radir wheel without the rib in the center of each spoke, but those are damn rare.

Which site?

I don't remember what site, I only did some light googling because sites that sell wheels either don't have a name, or all sported some different name.

Times like these are which I wished things were standardized, like the format of identifying parts.

ooooooook time for my latest. Literally my latest as I haven't done ANYTHING to any other car since this was finished, and that was a good 4 or 5 months ago.

It all started with this Dodge Rampage Real Rider that came from E-Bay in this super-nice, nearly mint original shape:
IMG_6884.jpg

but saaaadly, the car was missing the trike in the bed. The child that owned it (I hope it was a child) liked it so much that he cut it off, I assume. You can even see signs of the blade in the rear border of the roof, above the rear glass.
IMG_6885.jpg

I started to sniff around looking for an interior piece for one of these. You'd think that would be pretty difficult, but this car was also a made-in-Mexico model and it was quite the good seller for obvious resaons. I asked around in the club and sure enough, a guy popped up that had an interior piece off a mexican car, but it was white (very rare btw). He showed it to me in a get-together and I was about to take it, but another guy overheard us talking about it and he told me he had a complete car that was trashed but it had a yellow interior. We agreed to trade in the next meeting, and this was what he gave me:
IMG_6886.jpg

Pretty trashed but sure enough, the interior piece was there, complete with trike, and it was very yellow.
IMG_6887.jpg

It really hurt to tear apart a made-in-Mexico car as I do not have it, I only have international versions of this car, but...
IMG_6888.jpg

The interior piece was cleaned as much as it could be cleaned, then cut in half and trimmed carefulyl with a cutter until the motorbike could fit well in the hole on the bed of the Rampage.
IMG_6889.jpg

IMG_6890.jpg

It was then installed just with some Pritt Takt, it was never put in there permamently, but the damned white gooey holds it in place firmly. So the car finally had a bike in the rear:
IMG_7170.jpg

If I didn't tell you this story and you didn't see the pics, you wouldn't have believed this car was lacking the trike.
IMG_7169.jpg

IMG_7168.jpg

IMG_7167.jpg

Finally! And what's really cool is that I was missing the gray wheels version, I already had the (much rarer) white wheels car. Now on to find the mexican versions (including the almost-urban-legend one with normal blackwalls):
IMG_7166.jpg

Aaaaand that's it, enjoy!

NOT.

Obviously, the previously shown process left me with this, the donor Rampage with half an interior.
IMG_6963.jpg

Of course, I have a very soft heart for donor cars, specially if they are as rare as a white-wheels, Made-in-Mexico, I-don't-have-it-dammit Dodge Rampage. I had to do something with it. So...
IMG_7530.jpg

First idea for this car was to straight-up restore it, something that seemed absolutely plausible since paint guy found this poor thing in a flea market:
IMG_6891.jpg

Yes, it's YET another made-in-Mexico Rampage, the very rare white-interior version, but this was absolutely dead. Still, the interior piece was there and could be used to bring the other one back to life. He knew I had it so he grabbed it and gave it to me.
IMG_6892.jpg

Unfortunately, the bike was pretty trashed and very, VERY dirty. I left it in water for DAYS and the mud and filth didn't come off even with a tootbrush. And since the car was gonna participate in the custom contest for the upcoming club meeting, I decided I would not use it or I wouldn't complete it in time, as detaling the bike and cutom-making its missing stuff would take loads of time.

Of course, that let me with the problem of the hole in the bed. Fortunately, I already had something in mind to make a custom bed cover. I have a plastic folder in which I store my old drawings which has a ribbed surface that was perfect for it. I cut a small chunck and trimmed it to fit, then painted it matte black:
IMG_7726.jpg

I also threw together a little something in Photoshop to roughly show the paint guy what I wanted; he told me he had me covered with the color:
render.jpg

Yes, I am fully aware that Shelby never messed with the Rampage, but it's a popular upgrade for these trucks to be fitted with Shelby engines and drivetrians, or at least parts, form their high-powered cousins. The wheels were the closest I could find to the ones I already had decided for the truck, some JL stars with rubber tires.

For fitting said wheels, though, the chassis had to be modified in order not to modify the axle lenght, which I didin 't want to because it positioned the wheels perfectly in the car. I had to trim away these little metal... things.
IMG_7531.jpg

Paint time! there is no picture, but the interior was also painted in the same caramel hue I used for the Stutz's interior, then matte-clear-coated. I wanted it gray, but the interior was painted the night before the meeting and I did not have gray paint. I used what I had.
IMG_7705.jpg

Proper stance was taken care of with some random plastic bits; you can also see in this picture that the headlamps on the chassis were masked off so they'd stay in bare zamac, they were later polished up a bit with the Dremel:
IMG_7724.jpg

Here is the result; custom graphics were made in Photoshop and printed in white water-decal paper; obviously the graphics are meant to seem like the letters are body color, and incredibly, I chose the blue of the lettering by eye only, and I almost nailed it.
IMG_7728.jpg

IMG_7729.jpg

IMG_7730.jpg

IMG_0999.jpg

holes and turn signals detailed:
IMG_1001.jpg

The bed came out pretty good:
IMG_1000.jpg

Stancey:
IMG_0998.jpg

IMG_0997.jpg

IMG_1003.jpg

IMG_1004.jpg

IMG_0996.jpg

And now, for real, that's it. Like this post!

I love this particularly because I not only have a soft spot for Rampages and Brats, but more so for Shelby Mopars.
Plus the color is gorgeous; there's so much depth to it and your paint guy really hit it out of the park with this one. 👍

My Daytona in my avatar may be the V6, but I DEFINATELY plan on owning the Shelby version in the future.

You cleared the paint before you put the decal on, right? How much time do you have to apply the decal and to move and adjust its positioning before it settles?

Back