Hot Wheels and Matchbox Customizing Thread

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 9,230 comments
Not sure why you would need it to be super durable, unless you play with your cars. :confused:

Standard cheap spray paint here most of the time. No chipping...

Even if that's the case at the rate AOS paints things an airbrush would still be more advisable. Mix your own shade.

My girlfriend got me a Testors set that came with a can of propellant and glass bottles to mix your own paint. It aso has an attachment to make the Testors individual paints in the small glass bottles sprayable. I think it's less than $20.

Well yeah, I know. But it's the best you can get if you're tight on moolah.
I believe I've seen a video a while ago on making you're own airbrush.

Talking with the custom decal guy again. He just did a RX-7 custom and made some rear taillight and RX-7 emblem decals for it. I figure since he already made them for his car that they might be a bit cheaper this time around. We'll see...

How did i know you was going to use a floating arm to display it. :lol:
That looks very cool AOS, the best custom you've done so far (imo). 👍

[EDIT] Third pic from the bottom is my favourite.

Buying a small can of chrome paint, spraying it onto a paper plate, and then applying it to the wheels with a toothpick. :P
What kind of wheels are they? Here's help if you need it.

Buying a small can of chrome paint, spraying it onto a paper plate, and then applying it to the wheels with a toothpick. :P
What kind of wheels are they? Here's help if you need it.
Thanks for the answer! I had been meaning to ask the same thing for awhile.

Another noob question but i know how to do wheel swaps, but what about wheels that only have a hole on one side? In example the NBW wheels and the 6 Spoke Pro-Circuit Wheels. How could i put a new set of axles on it if it's only on one side? Asking anybody who knows.;)

Thanks for the answer! I had been meaning to ask the same thing for awhile.

Another noob question but i know how to do wheel swaps, but what about wheels that only have a hole on one side? In example the NBW wheels and the 6 Spoke Pro-Circuit Wheels. How could i put a new set of axles on it if it's only on one side? Asking anybody who knows.;)

Wheels swaps are uber easy but most people do it the hard way and take the car apart when its as simple as sniping the tire rod and buying another one at your local hobby shop and finding a doner car..

Wheels swaps are uber easy but most people do it the hard way and take the car apart when its as simple as snipping the tire rod and buying another one at your local hobby shop and finding a doner car..

Very true, Frogman, but only for some cars - certain axle configurations, especially if you are dealing with a make other than HWs, don't allow for that. And of course if we have to detail the inside - dash, seats, and so on, then we have to take the car apart.

Wheels swaps are uber easy but most people do it the hard way and take the car apart when its as simple as sniping the tire rod and buying another one at your local hobby shop and finding a doner car..
Yea i know how easy they are, frankly what im getting at is i have a car with 6 Spoke Pro-Circuit Wheels that wobble alot when you roll it and im looking to replace the axles on it using R1600's tutorial. (which is easy because i have alot of vehicles i can strip for the axles:sly:) The problem is the hole in the middle that holds the axle does not go all the way through like most wheels do. Is it possible to insert a new axle with this wheel type or not?:confused: Again asking anybody who knows.;)

They all come that way.

Here's 98% finished pics, except for the staple radiator I have to get supplies for tonight, and holding it together with screws which I am still waiting on my 2-56 tap. For $8 shipping it's sure taking forever...

DSCN5177.jpg

DSCN5176.jpg

DSCN5173.jpg

DSCN5178.jpg

DSCN5175.jpg

DSCN5174.jpg

Email this over to lamleygroup@gmail.com when you are done if you want me to post it. I absolutely love it.
Same goes for the rest of you. Maybe I can do a post entitled "The Customs of GTPlanet"...

Email this over to lamleygroup@gmail.com when you are done if you want me to post it. I absolutely love it.
Same goes for the rest of you. Maybe I can do a post entitled "The Customs of GTPlanet"...
I have a few coming your way soon, including a "Double Dairy Duo", a custom painted Willy's dragster, possibly a custom painted '56 Chevy and of course, my "crazy idea":sly:. (will reveal what is when it's done;)) Will notify you when it's posted.;)

@ Sony - if it's a solid axle that is pressed and/or glued into the back of the wheel, I don't think you can use the method I posted. The axle may be too big for the brass tubing.

@ jtl - I won't be able to email them until Monday.

I'm not jealous or anything, but I get the feeling the people who are so wowwed by your clean photos are blown away by the clean black body with orange decals, which you didn't do (if I'm not mistaken). Not jealous, but I honestly felt like the people who are soaked up looking at the photos don't know this. What you have done is amazing, the underbody and sharp and attractive, I just wanted to get that off my chest... more or less to see if I was right. Sorry for my rudeness though. :indiff:

edit:

http://lamleydlm.blogspot.ca/2012/11/as-is-custom-my-faves-for-week-ending.html

All those CM6s. I wonder how many of those "special cars" (for a lack of a better term) were sacrificed for it. I'd gut all my speed machines for their wheels, but at the same time, they wouldn't be a Speed Machine anymore if I did.

Last edited:
Wow tell me how you really feel, sheesh. :dunce:

It's the whole car as a complete project, especially the wheels & exhaust that bring it all together. When did I ever say I did the paint? Never...

Edit: And the "stanced" Skylines look like crap.

Nice and clean, that Z28. 👍

From AOS's link, the top one, is that the one you are referring to as the "stanced Skyline"? They look good to me, but one I really like is the green RX-7. That stock green from the 80's really hits the spot. I think I've seen a Tomica one with the same color. Casting still is average at best(IMO), so he couldn't do nothing about that.

Maybe people around here since this thread is usually a couple weeks behind on getting info unless I post it.

Everyone on HWC where I have also shared the car know that the paint comes that way. In fact they are also coming out with a 2010 Camaro with a matching scheme which I will also be customizing to match the '70.

Back