Hot Wheels and Matchbox Customizing Thread

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 9,230 comments
Word. That means I'm special.

Anyway, I tried cutting at an eraser just now and I totally screwed up the "O" because of the curve. I'll try dremeling the eraser tomorrow; be my own CNC machine :lol:

If that doesn't work out, I have to come up with a stylized form of "AOS" that doesn't have curves or individual negative spaces.

Dremeling an eraser? That sounds like a HORRIBLE idea. It's just going to melt and ruin your whole life.

Man, I love that Camaro! Nice touchup on the sway bar, really gives the car more character. 👍

@AOS: Nah, I'll pass on making a HW series like you. I'm mostly going to do certain cars to their top model, tuner or racing themes (i.e R34 GTR into a Z-Tune, GT3 RS 997 into a GT3 RS 4.0.) Hell, I don't even have the tools to do any custom work yet.

Last edited:
No, but it's a cool idea.
Personally, i can barely finish 1 custom, so the idea of doing a whole series would probably take me 10yrs or so. :lol:

This. Besides, my priority right now is to restore the dozend of cars that are waiting in line. They are too eclectic of a bunch to do a series thing. Right now I have:

Torn apart and stripped off paint:
-Siku Opel wagon
-Siku Porsche 930
-Matchbox Orange Peel Charger funny car
-Hot Wheels Sunagon
-Hot Wheels Bone Shaker
-Majorette Toyota FJ
-Hot Wheels Ford Anglia
-Tomica Lotus Spirit
-Hot Wheels Nissan Hardbody
-Matchbox Lesney Mustang Gasser
-Lesney Matchbox Mercedes
-Playart Lambo Countach
-Hot Wheels Way 2 Fast
-Hot Wheels Lambo Countach that has been painted twice, and twice it came out flawed.
-Chinese rip-off of Tomica Moby Dick
-Hot Wheels Limozeen

Primered, ready for whenever I decide to paint them:
-Hot Wheels 67 Cougar
-Hot Wheels Supervan redline
-Majorette Autobianchi
-Tomica Porsche 911
-Hot Wheels V8 Vega

Already painted but unfinished:
-Majorette Mercedes
-Hot Wheels "Chaparral" Camaro
-Hot Wheels Hakosuka street car
-Hot Wheels Street Rodder
-Matchbox Porsche 930
-Hot Wheels Meyers Manx

Plus several quick fixer-uppers that are lacking a ehadlamp or both, a top, are missing a wheel or other pieces, have usable paint bur need to be restored in other ways, and stuff like that.

Plus a lot of quick wheels swaps and detailing proyects that are already in pieces.

Plus:
IMG_7099.jpg

IMG_7094.jpg

triques1.jpg
[/IMG]
lesney10.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_6242.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_4201.jpg

IMG_3691.jpg

IMG_3672.jpg

IMG_3670.jpg

And a loooooong etcetera.

-

I only have a long list of stuff like you, Cano, because I decided to do a series. :lol: Otherwise, I wouldn't have such a big mess in the house and I'd probably be able to make a few trays to store these damn cars away in.

You know what would be a really neat idea? If you took that blue van with the missing top and made that into a miniature terrarium. Is it always hot and moist where you are? Breed some venus fly traps. :D

You know what would be a really neat idea? If you took that blue van with the missing top and made that into a miniature terrarium. Is it always hot and moist where you are? Breed some venus fly traps. :D

haha, cool idea. I want to save that one's paint (believe it or not I have already cleaned off all the white-out) and will be restores using iriginal paint. I have another one, though, that could look quite cool as a terranium lol.

I actually might want to try this... with a school bus or lorry and some grass seeds. See how long that'll live.

Oi, AOS, I had also asked you for the NHRA Morris Wagon, and now I'm keeping the Boulevard 55 Corvette and both Boulevard AMC Rebel Machines. Also, is the red 71 Charger the one that came with white wheels? If so, add it to the list too. Don't forget my yellow Stude too.

Thanks 👍

Why can't you just use that topic to place an order? It's so much easier to keep track of for me. Especially with how much you're grabbing.

Why can't you just use that topic to place an order? It's so much easier to keep track of for me. Especially with how much you're grabbing.

Ah, ok, I'll list them over there.

EDIT: There you go.

Last edited:
Thanks.

Anyhow, I finished up that Delorean, but the camera was on low battery so I only got one photo. So you can nibble on this while I get photos tomorrow. A lot was done on this. It doesn't have the wheels rotated completely perpendicular like in the movie because I like it this way more. I like Burnout Paradise's version of the time Machine that is the 88 Special so I copied how they arranged the wheels.

img0895sw.jpg

As you may be able to tell, the car is pretty beat up; body surface scratched, tattered, dirtied and worn. That also goes for the tires too. I damaged a lot of the surfaces with the dremel. I wanted to give the impression of broken glass too, but I wasn't sure how I could do it without giving away the car's scale. Crack lines on plastic are a dead giveaway. I thought of spraying a LOT of lacquer on the surface so that it would crumble on its own, not touch it and call that the broken glass, but alas I didn't try it so I left it as a dirtied windshield.

:0 that reminds me of my Renault 4 when I found it:
IMG_5549.jpg

Why did you want to give it such a rough condition?

Because time traveling isn't a perfectly smooth ride.... yet. All I keep thinking while I was making this was "Make it look like it went to hell and back."

I also have a thing for cars looking like it's been through some dirty driving; taking a beating, dishing out deadly side blows and frontal shunts... it originally sparked in me when I saw that Corvette grind the rail in NFS High Stakes' into animation:

NOSTALGIA.

I might actually go through with the idea of tearing up some cars and creating action scenes with it. Get my Burnout adrenaline out of the way. :D:D Though it'd be somuch easier with cars that have disassemblable parts like M2s or example... or larger diecast scales

Wow! Cano, that's some list (and pics) you got there. I predict that 200 years from now, your ancestors will still be completing it. :lol:
Cool bunch of cars though (it must be hard to decide which one to do first), really like the Polistil Beetle 👍, and man! i totally forgot i had the green Corgi Beetle with whizwheels, i used to love that car. :drool:

@ AOS.
Your DeLorean looks like it's spent several years of it's life, blocking up the drain of a very busy public latrine.... :lol:, nah just kidding, it's very original and different to what we usually see here. 👍

With such comments, maybe I should tone down the "dirty" next time. Hmm...I believe it's giving the wrong impression. Worry not though, I'll be working on more cars.

I think maybe you should have focused on dirtying up the more exposed parts like the wheel arches, front bumper and edges. Right now it looks like the car is equally dirty on every surface.

Though I'm not an expert on time muck I'd guess it doesn't accumulate equally everywhere.

Who knows though? :dopey:

Latest Posts

Back