How important is paint/vinyl customization in GT5?

or to limit profanity, put a vinyl sticking limit. for example, creating a profane image takes several layers of vinyls to create. if PD puts a restriction on how many can be placed on one car, profanity problems will be greatly reduced.

ghostrider135
How is it unnecessary to show that even a two bit developer can make a decent lively creator for a racing game yet its something PD have over looked.

Overlooked or decided it was not necessary to make a great driving simulator?
Like i said, a little more than what we have would be nice. Stripes with the ability to paint any color, plates or at least auto plates with your psn on it. Small stuff.
It is not a make or break function for me ( or many others posting here) as it seems to be for some others.
When your in first, does it matter what everyone elses car looks like, or your own. Unless you drive chase cam.

Anyway.carryon. I feel a livery editor is not a necessary function for gt5. Just because some "two bit" dev can do it, doesnt mean pd has to.

You have your opinion, i have mine.

Jumpin in my hot tub with my wife. Have a nice night.

I would love to have a livery editor in GT. It would fantastic to be able to place a faux bumper sticker on my passionate pink Mini that says "Actual Size". :dopey:

I find it funny when people say "Its about driving/racing, not painting cars..."

Yet head to any track day and there are any measure of customising going on...paint, body kits decals vinyl etc...when you're racing your car, you want it to stand out...

Kaz drives cars at racing events with no decals.

Oh, no, wait, he doesn't.

He even had it on the powerpoint, he wants it, but they just couldn't impliment it due to constraints of time or resources... same story with any missing/half-baked GT5 feature.

It will come and the same people who are saying it's "about racing" will be the first to laud it as a huge victory, no matter what state it is in.

Not interested in the Livery Editor. It has never been a factor for the GT series, I don't understand why people think its become one now. Because Forza is doing it? Who cares what Forza is doing. Could you imagine all the Fast and Furious cars? Ugh terrible!

I like the current paint chip system. A data base with tens of thousands of actual colors that were used on actual production cars... much more appealing to me. It supports yet another hoarding tendency, as if collecting cars/photos/replays/trophies/helmets/suits/muesem cards wasn't enough. Without this game, my house would be filled with thousands of gallons of different paint buckets, but now I don't have to worry about that because Gran Turismo simulates such behavior perfectly without cost, mess, and space! +1

For me, visual customization is very important, even it is just changing colors for different parts and not the complete car at one time.

I don´t need a huge livery editor. But a few option to set individual colors and stickers for some parts would be better.

The options yet available in GT5 are too little for me.

DEATHSARTHE
Not interested in the Livery Editor. It has never been a factor for the GT series, I don't understand why people think its become one now. Because Forza is doing it? Who cares what Forza is doing. Could you imagine all the Fast and Furious cars? Ugh terrible!

I like the current paint chip system. A data base with tens of thousands of actual colors that were used on actual production cars... much more appealing to me. It supports yet another hoarding tendency, as if collecting cars/photos/replays/trophies/helmets/suits/muesem cards wasn't enough. Without this game, my house would be filled with thousands of gallons of different paint buckets, but now I don't have to worry about that because Gran Turismo simulates such behavior perfectly without cost, mess, and space! +1
Just because it's never been in the GT series doesn't mean it should never be, eventually PD is going to have to play catch-up, just like Forza had to do with some of the features in GT5. Why not take an idea from Forza? And the current paint system sucks, having to thumb through 500+ paint chips just to find out that you don't have the color you were looking for, no thank you. I'd rather have a paint dealership-type deal.

Stickers and livery editor is not even remotely important to me. I would rather PD spend their time on new cars and new tracks, not fluff.

There truly is a weird issue with resources and how people think they're allocated.

Everyone in PD has a role, someone working on liveries doesn't affect people modelling cars and tracks doesn't affect someone working on netcode doesn't affect someone working at reception...

There truly is a weird issue with resources and how people think they're allocated.

Everyone in PD has a role, someone working on liveries doesn't affect people modelling cars and tracks doesn't affect someone working on netcode doesn't affect someone working at reception...

The receptionist probably is the same person working on the netcode. :dopey:

ParkourVeyron
Just because it's never been in the GT series doesn't mean it should never be, eventually PD is going to have to play catch-up, just like Forza had to do with some of the features in GT5. Why not take an idea from Forza? And the current paint system sucks, having to thumb through 500+ paint chips just to find out that you don't have the color you were looking for, no thank you. I'd rather have a paint dealership-type deal.

Well I hope they will bring it eventually, but pleeeeease not like in Forza, I want an easy to use feature so that I might have time driving my cars as well. 💡

As I said before the system in Forza is a real pain IMO, just because some people manage to make outstanding liveries doesnt mean the feature itself is well thought out or easy to use.
Most outcomes I saw at storefront are just immature nightmares.

Having said that, personally I wouldn't mind some cool manga style liveries on most of my cars, don't care for the race ones much, except the ones PD put in the game.

I agree on the paintchips however, that was a stupid idea kind of.

Get the damage visuals and physics going first. That's the biggest improvement I want to see happen rather than pestering PD with hopes for cars that look like graffiti and paint splats.

You wanna save some time in the future, you might as well just say what you obviously really mean regarding how "GT didn't do it first so it isn't worth doing." Because that is far easier for you to type without being any more difficult to tear apart for the ridiculous misuse of logic that it is.

Here's a tip friend, instead of thumbing through all of your paint chips, could be better to sort them by hue, item name, date aquired, and count. Using this sorting system, I find all the paint chips I need very easily.

Anyway, I don't know about these other features like paint dealership or whatever... I personally like the paint chip system in GT5. Not only can I use stock production paints, but now I can mix them around. I can paint my SRT-4 Viper Red and my Silverado LeMans Blue - after the commemorative Z06.

If all games had the same features, how boring would that be? GT does something different and I personally like it. If you don't like the paint system, go play a game with a livery editor. GT isn't that game, never has been. This isn't news. Paint chips are interesting to me and I find some value in some of the rare ones or in some of the paint chips with history behind them. I'm a car buff, I like these sort of things. It's a neat and unique touch. I think PD went through a lot of effort to make all these different paints, and I'm very appreciative and I think it works for the type of game GT is. 👍👍

I think a livery editor would be a fantastic addition to gt5, having your own unique car online would make a massive differance, however I would rather have a wheel option shop like the one on gt3 with hundreds of differant wheels

If all games had the same features, how boring would that be? GT does something different and I personally like it. If you don't like the paint system, go play a game with a livery editor. GT isn't that game, never has been. This isn't news. Paint chips are interesting to me and I find some value in some of the rare ones or in some of the paint chips with history behind them. I'm a car buff, I like these sort of things. It's a neat and unique touch. I think PD went through a lot of effort to make all these different paints, and I'm very appreciative and I think it works for the type of game GT is. 👍👍

Why everyone keeps telling to go play another game if someone wants a livery editor in GT5!! That is just BS. I am realy getting tyred of those answers of the type like: Go play FORZA etc.. .I dont want to play FORZA. And i do not think that PD would like that either.
I think a livery editor should be part of this game and i realy hope that PD does implement it. As liverys are part of the real life in racing as sugar is part of my morning coffee.

So PD please implement the livery editor in GT5!!!! 👍👍

For all those knocking a "livery editor" - have you never seen custom cars (all / most types) or even racing cars - virtually all types.

Notice how all racing cars are painted a lovely bland colour everytime, ever, since the existence of racing (NOT).

Yes, SOME liveries on SOME cars are just so not right, but to not have this feature in the game, because of that..?? So I guess it's right, in 2010, to drive a stock Schwimmwagon round a track huh..??

Many others might actually view the livery editor as being beneficial and it's something that proves popular in GT's competitors - so why not?? How many times do competitors NOT copy each other - unless a patent or Copyright stops it, competitors steal and copy off each other all the time in the real world.

What about last years device by Maclaren in F1 to blow air onto the rear spoiler, or before that Brawn GP's double difuser - if your rival has got it in this world, then it's something you should at least be thinking about, not getting on your high horse about how some one might "ruin" a car. Copying is a way of life for humans and in some marketplaces a necessity.

The only difference with GT5 is that the game is so badly flawed, Polyphony are constantly playing catch up or trying to "plugs the holes" to stop the ship sinking - so a livery editor is not as high on the agenda as maybe it would be normally when put in perspective of a competitor analyisis situation.

I'd love it to be there for SOME cars, that stereotypically in real have always had, or looked good with that kind of "look", but I wouldn't use it for maybe 50-75% of cars as it'd be crap, but it'd still be nice to have it just incase. But. I'd be willing to sacrifice that completely if Polyphony could just get their heads out of their butts and release something they actually thoroughly test and doesn't have any bugs or glitches they then need to waste further time and resource on trying to fix.

Why oh why haven't Polyphony learnt this from the past 11 months.......CRAZY..?

Here's a tip friend, instead of thumbing through all of your paint chips, could be better to sort them by hue, item name, date aquired, and count. Using this sorting system, I find all the paint chips I need very easily..

It sucks how ever you bend it. It is far more easy to choose the shader first (matte, reflective, chrome, perl-effect) and then just take a seemless color palette to create the right color.

Not to forget to get the preview on the car itself and not on this stupid block, where it always looks different as it does after painting.

The chip-system in GT5 is a big fail as there are three times better systems in other games.

Look at NFS Shift 2 or Nascar 2011 how easy a custom livery/ color editor works.

Last edited:
dont really care about full customisation, but it would be great to have a much larger selection of rims to pick from, and the same with the aero kits/spoilers to pick from for ALL cars.

ofcourse none of that really matters unless they were available for standard cars too

PirateThom

PD need more staff.

Here's a tip friend, instead of thumbing through all of your paint chips, could be better to sort them by hue, item name, date aquired, and count. Using this sorting system, I find all the paint chips I need very easily.

Then if you only have one of that color and use it. You have to go and buy another car just for that paint color. It's a terrible system that needs to be fixed, or completely done away with for something better.

Anyway, I don't know about these other features like paint dealership or whatever... I personally like the paint chip system in GT5. Not only can I use stock production paints, but now I can mix them around. I can paint my SRT-4 Viper Red and my Silverado LeMans Blue - after the commemorative Z06.

No one is arguing against the ability to use real world colors. It's certainly a nice feature, but see my first reply.

Your opinion is wrong.

A livery editor is a standard feature with in the racing genre now, and GT5 is without it. It's behind the times. Video games are like any other form of technology, either you adapt to what your competitors are doing, or you disappear. GT5 has lost a lot of fans, how do you think that bodes for the franchises' future? The lack of a livery editor is only one thing on a long list of problems with GT.

Maybe you should go play another game and realize what GT5 could have been, and then compare it to what it actually is(n't). Before you do however, take the fan boy glasses off, and look at it from a marketing standpoint.

Why everyone keeps telling to go play another game if someone wants a livery editor in GT5!! That is just BS. I am realy getting tyred of those answers of the type like: Go play FORZA etc.. .I dont want to play FORZA. And i do not think that PD would like that either.
I think a livery editor should be part of this game and i realy hope that PD does implement it. As liverys are part of the real life in racing as sugar is part of my morning coffee.

So PD please implement the livery editor in GT5!!!! 👍👍

Tell me about it. That argument is so overused it's not even funny. Do people really want GT to remain stagnant?

If all games had the same features, how boring would that be?
Can you imagine how games would be if industry standardized innovations that people demanded were ignored simply because they didn't want to copy anybody? Do realize just how little GT actually innovated on, considering they've always been about polishing and combining existing features?

GT does something different and I personally like it. If you don't like the paint system, go play a game with a livery editor. GT isn't that game, never has been. This isn't news. Paint chips are interesting to me and I find some value in some of the rare ones or in some of the paint chips with history behind them. I'm a car buff, I like these sort of things. It's a neat and unique touch. I think PD went through a lot of effort to make all these different paints, and I'm very appreciative and I think it works for the type of game GT is. 👍👍
So, again, save yourself some time and simply say what you really mean: GT didn't do it first so you don't think GT should do it. Really, stop being so stereotypical.

It seems to me that people are getting pretty sick of GT doing its own thing and ignoring advancements just because they want to do their own thing, and telling people to go play games that haven't ignored advancements doesn't strengthen your argument in the slightest.

Last edited:
GT isn't that game, never has been.

Huh? Funny how this argument always keeps popping up, it's GT5 not GT55.
It's been around now for about 13 years and only in its 5th installment so claiming it's already some institution steeped in tradition which core DNA is set in stone from the moment it arrived always makes me laugh (as well as suggesting to play other games as soon as the word livery editor or anything regarding visual customization is being discussed).

I do remember that presentation Kaz gave before GT5 was released where the word livery editor was clearly visible on a screen with things they'd want to implement eventually but ofcourse he realized on time that GT never had it before so it would be inconceivable to include it...(*sarcasm alert*)

And saying GT is unique for not offering something which isn't that strange to include in a racing game (since racecars tend to have liveries, Forza didn't invent them as a fantasy gameplay element) is simply a stroke of genius, why doesn't Apple release something called the, ahem, I-Something which you can't use to phone, play music or use as a pad but it sure is pretty and unique for not offering it (as it being useful would be too obvious).
It might just work.

There have been several different paint systems used in a variety of car games, and GT could of used any of them in any of their games. But interestingly enough, they've chosen not to. Until GT5, we didn't even have the option to change a cars color outside of what it was offered in. But for all the different installments of the game (spin-offs included), something like a Livery Editor never made it in. I mean PD made a **** ton of games, and they could've just even experimented with it - but didn't.

I'm merely pointing out that GT has never taken a user-creative route. GT5 has offered us the most creative freedom so far. Otherwise, it's always been - this car comes in these colors: BLUE, GREEN, WHITE. This has worked for GT since GT1, and then even within the dawn of these color editors. Still, PD doesn't find enough purpose in it to include it in their game. I could say that I'd rather have a Livery Editor than a course generator. But I do sincerely applaud PD's effort in doing something different and will continue to support them in whatever they end up doing. I like their unique outlook in the genre and I personally am quite satisified with this paint chip system. Couldn't care less about a Livery Editor right now, but if one comes a long in GT6 I'm sure it'll be the best damn livery editor out there!

Back