Hurricane Watch: Post-Tropical Cyclone Sandy.

• Thread starter Blitz24
  • 390 comments
Almost positive that that building is 1715 Broadway. I recognize the building nearby
220px-1717_Broadway_under_construction_May_2012.JPG

Its apparently 1 57th Street NYC, no idea if that's the same area or not (source Huff Post).

Power's out. Posting from mt iPod, but bettery is going to die soon.
Hoodbye, my fellow GTP'ers, I will be back on Wednesday.

Its apparently 1 57th Street NYC, no idea if that's the same area or not (source Huff Post).

One's near the southwest corner of Central Park (8th & 59th - 1750 Broadway is 56th & Broadway) and the other's near the southeast corner (5th and 59th - 1 W57th is 5th & 57th).

Currently in Saratoga Springs, NY the winds are at 20-26mph. The highest it's going to get today is 36mph. I may avoid driving down to Albany tomorrow for my class if it continues like this with heavy rain. So far the wind has only been able to break some pieces of bark from the trees.

Oooh damn! Went outsideto get the mail, was out there for 10 seconds and my hat was SO close to going flying. Cold as hell.

Yeah, I got the wrong building, both are under construction and near the reference point I used.

One's near the southwest corner of Central Park (8th & 59th - 1750 Broadway is 56th & Broadway) and the other's near the southeast corner (5th and 59th - 1 W57th is 5th & 57th).

Its in between 6th and 7th Avenues on 57th Street. (100 West 57th is at the corner of 6th and 57th).

If anyone is interested, Reed Timmer (of Storm Chasers fame) has a website that streams live video from multiple storm chasing teams. They have one team in New York at the moment streaming from what looks like an apartment building. And Reed is streaming as he's driving towards the storm, currently in Ohio driving east.

Streams can be viewed here: (click the radar button top right to see cloud position)

http://tvnweather.com/live

These are the same guys that stayed in a multi-story car park during the last big hurricane.

I love that guy, he's great.

Dat windhammer, very little constant rain here - it's medium, but very intermittent.

Been consistant drizzle near Buffalo, winds about 20mph sustained and gusts up to about 40 so far. Its not even here yet but I've seen it hit over 70 here before and not do much.

Last edited:
Right here in DC it's been medium rain, 25-30 constant wind with gust to 40? mph.

Power has been on sans one flicker.

I heard that the Hurricane is supposed to turn up north, barely avoiding Pittsburgh. Not sure if it's true or not.

Just looked at the forecast, the Buffalo region isn't supposed to see past 50mph gusts. Just north, in Niagra Falls, they are predicting about 75mph gusts....

Also, current temps. I'm by Batavia.

98244-99e8e.jpg

It's getting windy here and the lights have flickered a couple of times. So I guess I'd better charge my iPod up and get a shower. Possibly the last time I'll post here for today. If that's the case, good luck to everybody else and be safe.

It's getting windy here and the lights have flickered a couple of times. So I guess I'd better charge my iPod up and get a shower. Possibly the last time I'll post here for today. If that's the case, good luck to everybody else and be safe.

What area are you from?

Central PA, near Allentown.

I'm north of you. No power flickers yet, just really heavy rain and winds like I said.

TV station just blacked out out for about 10 seconds. TV was still on though.

Surprising that its been hit that bad and the worst is still to come. Somehow this storm for me personally hasn't been as bad, yet.:scared:

You know that crane that was damaged? I fear that both the crane AND the building are going to collapse. That would be extremely catastrophic. :eek::nervous:

I'm still keeping my cool, don't worry. Nothing really bad in Pittsburgh as of yet.

Stay safe everybody, I've been in a few of these and you can never be certain what's going to happen. One things for sure those that don't respect them are usually the ones that we read about as the unfortunate casualties.

Surprising that its been hit that bad and the worst is still to come. Somehow this storm for me personally hasn't been as bad, yet.:scared:

Looks like a mild thunderstorm with no thunder here.

I live about 100 feet away from a swamp. :scared: I'm in the lowlands. Otherwise, the wind's quite strong, so I'm happy to be only a few meters from a power station, too.

I live about 100 feet away from a swamp. :scared: I'm in the lowlands. Otherwise, the wind's quite strong, so I'm happy to be only a few meters from a power station, too.

The Alabama swamps and Bergen Swamps are around me, but I'm up on a ledge so I'm good. My news stations just clocked 50mph gusts but the house hasn't made any cracking nouses yet so it's not real bad yet.

EDIT:

It hasn't even made landfall yet...

16 foot waves reported on Lake Ontario and tens of thousands of power outages have been reported so far...

Back