In-depth impressions from Gamescom

• Thread starter GT
  • 99 comments
Hey GT,
Thank you for the feedback. It is very interesting...

Can you give some info regarding the AI (that you might have race against) ?
Are the AI fights each other, and you, randomly (like they should) or, like prologue, the AI car drove on "its" line and push only when he wants to be back on its line?
Any info would be great !!!

Hey GT,
Thank you for the feedback. It is very interesting...

Can you give some info regarding the AI (that you might have race against) ?
Are the AI fights each other, and you, randomly (like they should) or, like prologue, the AI car drove on "its" line and push only when he wants to be back on its line?
Any info would be great !!!

These are some remarks posted earlier in the GamesCom thread.

We saw a nice thing with the AI when a kid was driving. He was doing a Shummy (park the car in a wall so no one can pass) and one of the AI cars eventually decided to back up, to make room to pass the car. Very nice.

We posted earlier today that the AI will back up and swerve around a car that is stuck on a wall (good thing that not everybody knows that the triangle is for reverse). I must add to that, that it took quite a while for the AI to decide that that car wasn't getting out of the way anytime soon (something like 10 seconds). The AI car wasn't trying to push the stuck car out of the way, but it was just waiting patiently at a meter distance.

They can be ruthless, but also timid. And they make mistakes, for example by braking too late and (almost) lose control of the car.

I had the impression that the individual AI have character, like what Kaz said about the B-spec drivers. Since they have names now, we could check all the videos from GamesCom for consistency in the AI drivers' behaviour.

About one thing I am certain, the AI do not any longer want to stick to the preferred racing line at all cost. Two AI cars passed me simultaneously once, one on the right and one on the left.

These are some remarks posted earlier in the GamesCom thread.

I had the impression that the individual AI have character, like what Kaz said about the B-spec drivers. Since they have names now, we could check all the videos from GamesCom for consistency in the AI drivers' behaviour.

About one thing I am certain, the AI do not any longer want to stick to the preferred racing line at all cost. Two AI cars passed me simultaneously once, one on the right and one on the left.
Well, that's really encouraging...
I love GT so much but never really like how the AI drives the same line when driving the same race few times.

Great post GT. I am glad to here that FFB is good. That makes me want to go out and get a wheel today. :)

Well, sadly there were no standard vehicles to select, only premium cars. But nevertheless, the choice in variation was very good. If they'd release the Gamescom build it would keep most of us here satisfied for at least six months; i.e. I believe that this whole debate about too few premium's will really settle when you see the selection on offer.

The A.I is interesting. I've seen 2 A.I. cars battle it out in front of me with one almost lossing the back end of the car and after that taking a short cut on the grass coming of the high speed section of the Ring just after the start with the bump and the turn left after which the hard right appears. In my SLS I was doing my thing but got hit really bad from behind which made me spin. The A.I did not stick to the racing line alone, it seemed as if they were actually racing...

Concerning the tires; I tried (I think) hard racing and soft racing; there was a difference especially in the corners, but seeing as there was a line and German text it's hard to tell what happened...I do think i saw tires for the wet though...can someone back this up?

hope this answers your questions.

GT
Concerning the tires; I tried (I think) hard racing and soft racing; there was a difference especially in the corners, but seeing as there was a line and German text it's hard to tell what happened...I do think i saw tires for the wet though...can someone back this up?

Yes there was a screenshot which showed "regenreifen", which means rain ( or wet ) tyres.:)

GT
If they'd release the Gamescom build it would keep most of us here satisfied for at least six months; i.e. I believe that this whole debate about too few premium's will really settle when you see the selection on offer.

(...)

The A.I did not stick to the racing line alone, it seemed as if they were actually racing...

hope this answers your questions.

Wet tyres (Regenreifen) were the last option, they are in.

I tried N and S1 too, although on standard physics. My feeling was the N could smear a bit more before loosing traction, but gosh, those S1 were tremendous fun.

I second your sentiments without hesitation.

I'm seriously hyped by the Gamescom experience. And that's coming from a Codemaster's fanboi, mind you.

Not necessarily. They might have tweaked everything to be so perfect and balanced with the DFGT, that unoffical wheels like the G25/27 might play catchup in many areas.

Sure, they always demo GT5 with the DFGT but PD certainly performs some tests with the G25 and G27 (i remember a photo of the G27 in PD office last year). The DFGT is good, but the G25 is much more precise, smooth, and solid (many users have reported problems with DFGT or DFP pedals, while the G25/27 are rock solid).

I'm sorry if this was asked, I read your entire post, but not every reply, when you say you felt every bump and twitch through the wheel, did this include vibrations driving over rumble strips, and vibrations with wheel spin? Getting vibrations when you lose traction is an important feature I hope PD implemented because it really helps with the sense of grip. Thank you for your info.

Great detailed post from you "GT" so thanks on that.
This goes to show the commitment many GT fans have to travel and wait so long just to experience the game before release. Its wonderful to read your account on your own experience.
Have you anything else to add about the game?

It would be interesting to hear other peoples own accounts in relation to the comments made with the OP. Has the game impressed others as much or are their some that felt in general let down by certain aspects? It seems a shame that some of the demo units had faulty equipment or setup in less than optimium configurations.

DFGT Silly Wheel Talk
Regards the "DFGT" wheel or other wheels, whats the issue here?
Logitech are likely to ensure support continues for various wheels in their range even though the DFGT is the sole licensced product.
Also Fanatec wheels seem to be able to emulate "Logitech" wheels in how they operate and have not had any particular incompatibility issues with PS3 games in general. If anything this debate over the DFGT perhaps being the best wheel for the game just because its the licensced wheel are just unrealistic and nonsense. Although it by no means is a bad wheel, I own one as well.
Higher performance wheels if anything will improve the FFB effects, both in strength and offer more precision, because thats what higher performance wheels do. This doesnt necessarily mean though that a person would be faster with a G27 than they would be with a DFGT, thats not always the case however the game should be more enjoyable with such higher performance wheels.

The only benifits of the DFGT wheel regards GT5 are that it has:

A: An illuminated horn [SIZE="-2"](GT5P would not allow the horn button to be mapped for other wheels, maybe GT5 itself will or may not)[/SIZE]
B: Red dial for "Realtime Tunning" feature

Last edited:
I will repeat again, the official wheel for GT5 is the DFGT. Nobody is saying that means one is better than the other, nor are people comparing features. Yet, we have a huge debate about it for no reason whatsoever.

I will repeat again, the official wheel for GT5 is the DFGT. Nobody is saying that means one is better than the other, nor are people comparing features. Yet, we have a huge debate about it for no reason whatsoever.

How about a DFGTvs other wheels thread.

Only joking that would suck:)

Great post, thanks :)

Thanks for the feedback, especially about the wheel ; the DF is good, so no doubt that with a G25/27 racing on the Ring will be the ultimate experience !

The above post is accurate in assuming that if the game is good with the DFGT then it would be even better with G25/G27 more upmarket products.

Not necessarily. They might have tweaked everything to be so perfect and balanced with the DFGT, that unoffical wheels like the G25/27 might play catchup in many areas.

May I politely point out to you that you sir are the one that started the debate with the above comment assuming that the DFGT wheel would be tweaked or better balanced.
Fact is the game outputs the same data to all wheels and its the individual wheels own precision, build and internal components that will be the factor to how each wheel compares in performance with the game.

If anything anyone here that knows about wheels will explain to you that the benifits of the G25/G27 will enchance the games effects including the force-feedback. Additionally features that the Fanatec range have for tweaking deadzone, linarity, wheel rotation, FFB strength amongst some other features are what will set those wheels apart in offering the ability to make them more adjustable to each individual owners preference even compared to the G25 or G27 wheels.

Theirs no need to continue this further.

Last edited:
GT
Having driven 400 kilometers to get there and face the enormous amount of people to get to GT5, I thought I'd give my impressions from the latest GT5 build. I hope you enjoy.

First of all, I don't think I'll be going to Gamescom again IF there is no GT present(or Diablo 3); It was way too crowded on the Saturday. Believe it or not, I just played TWO games: GT5 (twice) and Diablo 3 (waited 3,5 hours...for real).

The GT5 area wasn't all that big, but compared to other companies (not taking Blizzard into account) it was a decent size with lots of racing pods. There was one 3D screen and the rest were very dusty Bravia LCD screens. All except one were hooked via HDMI, but for some odd reason one PS3 was hooked via SCART.

The wheels and pedals had really been abused though. The first pod I tried out didn't feel right and I found out that the acceleration peddle was damaged since the on-screen throttle indicator was jumping all over the place. The screens put my off though as I was expecting top of the line LED screens (such as the one I use at home) but sadly that wasn't the case.

The game itself was incredible, but let's begin with the menu navigation.

The menu navigation was easy, intuitive and great looking. Sleek design throughout which will make it a joy to simply select a car. Selecting the car also gives you all the necessary info about the car itself. Unlike prologue, the car models spin slowly around without any camera breaks. However, press and hold the triangle button and the cars spin around much faster making it great if you just want to see the entire model. As you all know by now the car selection was great!

All these videos you've seen of the Nürburgring will not prepare you for the actual experience. The track looks very good; the shadows that are on the track look very detailed and realistic, and so is the contrast although I doubt the screens were all set up properly. Nevertheless, driving is such a smooth and awesome experience, going from corner to corner and looking at the track flying by. To all those naysayers about trees and the environment all I have to say is that they have probably NOT played this build or any other for that matter because from what I've seen it looks unbelievable good!

Before starting to race I set up the game properly seeing as everyone there was driving with standard physics and other assists. So I did what I always do, professional, no ASM, no TCS, no ABS. Then I decided to take the 458 to the Ring...

It was breathtaking, no were near prologue and nothing like the TT. It felt to me like a new build, but most likely they simply improved the FF on the DFGT A LOT! I simply felt every twitch and could really push the car to the limits of its traction and after that it broke loose....but the astonishing thing was that catching a slide required quick thinking but if you gripped the DFGT as you should you could actually feel the slide coming on a second before it does and the moment its breaks traction and providing you're quick enough you can catch the slide, correct it and drive on: so satisfying to be able to use real life techniques and seeing GT5 respond in a correct manner! All I have to say is that I felt every bump and corner on the Ring. It felt so special and trust me, once the game is out and we can simply take a car and drive the Ring you will instantly LOVE the physics and the FF.

I cannot praise PD enough for this because finally it felt the way it should have felt many years ago starting with prologue; this feels real, it feels exciting and makes you try harder; you can now without doubt be a great consistent driver. I LOVED IT!

regarding skid marks, I actually got shunted real bad from behind and slided around making skid marks. However, this was on the first lap 2 minutes in or so...and if I'm correct the marks were still there the second lap...on the RING :)

If you have any questions, please ask!

Thanks for your report. Looks like you had a good time :)

Good read. Thank you. 👍

I am especially glad to hear your thoughts on improved FFB relating to grip loss. I have yet to see someone correct from oversteer in a gamescom vid and was begging to worry it was due to poor wheel FFB like in the TT demo.

just answering some questions. From what I remember I felt a lot of FFB when driving over the curbs at the Ring; I'm also pretty sure that I felt something through the wheel when I spun, though I don't know for sure anymore.

What can I say, the physics and the wheel combined with the Ring was pure awesomeness; really, every fan out here has something very special to look forward to.

All I can say is I love Germany, it's such a beautiful country with great people! But Gamescom itself was pretty bad; so many people...perhaps they over-sold the max amount of tickets because it truly was unbearable; so many lines. But perhaps this is just normal for a gameshow. All I know is that without GT (or diablo) I certainly won't go again, those are the only games that really make me drive 750 kilometers in total.

I went with a good friend of mine; but you know the best part of a trip like this is the anticipation and the drive to get there. We left at 4 in the morning and got at the hotel by 7:30 checked in and after that left for Gamescom. We ate at the Block House in Düsseldorf which was great fun. A trip like this is so much more than just games...I'm thinking it was all just an excuse to drive to Germany and back.

You know what they say: real car nuts go out of their way to try to come up with excuses to drive as far as possible ;)

I think with all the impressions so far they all point to one thing that improved the most, the FFB. I'm glad I wasn't the only one. It was so much improved :)

GT
You know what they say: real car nuts go out of their way to try to come up with excuses to drive as far as possible ;)

Yep, my trip took me 5500km (total) to see an F1 race in Hockenheim. I was so sad when we went home. And i hear you when you talk about people and lines :D .

Back to topic :

With all that GT5 news, I can't wait. My only disappointment would be, if Open-wheelers had screwed up steering degrees on G25/G27 (like it was with f1 2007 in GT5P). Other then that everything sounds so good.

Yep, my trip took me 5500km (total) to see an F1 race in Hockenheim. I was so sad when we went home. And i hear you when you talk about people and lines :D .

Back to topic :

With all that GT5 news, I can't wait. My only disappointment would be, if Open-wheelers had screwed up steering degrees on G25/G27 (like it was with f1 2007 in GT5P). Other then that everything sounds so good.

Yeah, this is worrying me. Its quite hard to drive an F1 car with 900 degree steering, and certainly not realistic.

Do you think PD will address this?

I hope so. I think F1 06 CE changes the steering degree, so it is possible (PD could just add an extra option, or change it automatically by the car you are using )

In terms of physics and realism (with aids turned off) how does it compare to driving a sim such as Rfactor? I love Rfactor but sometimes find without aids its way too unforgiving, and mistakes that could be corrected/prevented in real life cant be done (or a lot more difficult/luck based) in the game. If a game could combine the harshness of real life but also with the physical connection of real driving, it truly would be the real driving simulator.

I always find a lot of cars in most of the sims are way too unforgiving with driving aids off, but then gran turismo (i played Gt4 last) was always too forgiving and way too heavy on the understeer feel.

Anyway, really looking forward to this game now!

Nice post GT 👍, I'm glad to hear about the improvements on the FFB effects, one of the points in which Prologue definetely sucked so bad. Also, the AI improvements are remarkable, looks like PD lurkered all over GTP and improved the most criticized points. :lol: Anyway, thanks for the effort.

Great write up GT thanks.

Concerning the camera angle and viewing the car. I wish this was one thing that PD changed I don't want the car to spin I would like to be able to control the camera without it turning constantly but oh well I"m sure they are beautiful.

GT
just answering some questions. From what I remember I felt a lot of FFB when driving over the curbs at the Ring; I'm also pretty sure that I felt something through the wheel when I spun, though I don't know for sure anymore.

What can I say, the physics and the wheel combined with the Ring was pure awesomeness; really, every fan out here has something very special to look forward to.

Sounds good, thanks for the feedback!

Honestly, people around here are so twitchy and on edge that anything remotely negative said about GT5 and related peripherals usually gets met with such aggressive responses. Pathetic really, and a sure sign of the immaturity of a lot of members. Still, it's all very easy when hiding behind a screen isn't it? I wonder if you would give the same reaction to somebody you had just met and discussed the same thing face-to-face. No, thought not.

Generalization .... 👎 :grumpy:

I have to say compared to other simulation games GT5 feels just about right; I'd go as far in saying that 'luck' has nothing to do with correcting a car. It feels mechanical but at the same time I do believe a competent driver could keep any car on the road with some practice.

The P4 on the Ring was very difficult, but then again it probably would be. The 458 was a wonderful drive as was the SLS. I think that the "let's make this very difficult because it has to feel like a simulation" vibe isn't here. It simply felt very realistic.

I'm a car nut, have racing technique books and do anything with cars; have had the DFGT two years. In other words, I can drive. But if you looked around at Gamescom, pretty much everyone was spinning around, hitting walls left and right, having trouble to keep the car straight...with standard physics and all aids on.

In fact, I watched a dude's girlfriend (who were both very rude as they cut the line my friend was waiting in and refused to let him go first) hit the wall on the Ring every 4 seconds for 15 minutes...got a good look at the trees though ;)

Back