In-depth impressions from Gamescom

• Thread starter GT
  • 99 comments
GT
But if you looked around at Gamescom, pretty much everyone was spinning around, hitting walls left and right, having trouble to keep the car straight...with standard physics and all aids on.

That's the main problem with simulation games. Actually it's the force of simulation games! People don't seem to understand that they have to use caution to get good results.

That was a good read.....thanks,
But I have one question for anyone who has driven the latest build.
Did anyone drive a powerful front wheel drive car? The reason I ask, is that I have a 2010 Focus RS and it suffers from torque steer :grumpy: as do alot of powerful front drivers and I would like to know whether PD have managed to recreate the feeling through FFB or just seeing the car pull to one side under hard acceleration.

Thanks in advance for your answers,

Wolfman.

I always find a lot of cars in most of the sims are way too unforgiving with driving aids off, but then gran turismo (i played Gt4 last) was always too forgiving and way too heavy on the understeer feel.

Anyway, really looking forward to this game now!

You should be looking forward to it very much ;)

On N tyres in pro physics, it was too hard for me right off the line with zero practice. I'd say Sports tyres on standard physics was like GT4 on N. In the widest sense of course, because the handling is very much refined. I did quite some mocking about in an M5, and from the understeer of coming too hot into a corner to the back stepping out a bit if you nail it on corner exit, it was all there. I was definitely able to negotiate the car through a corner very nicely by good use of the right foot. I did like it a lot on standard physics. It felt very rich.

Going too fast into a corner was pretty easy as the was barely any audible feedback, because the TV speakers couldn't cope with the background noise, and the understeer felt appropriate.

GT
I think that the "let's make this very difficult because it has to feel like a simulation" vibe isn't here. It simply felt very realistic.

In other words, I can drive. But if you looked around at Gamescom, pretty much everyone was spinning around, hitting walls left and right, having trouble to keep the car straight...with standard physics and all aids on.

In fact, I watched a dude's girlfriend (who were both very rude as they cut the line my friend was waiting in and refused to let him go first) hit the wall on the Ring every 4 seconds for 15 minutes...got a good look at the trees though ;)

The trees do cast nice shadows, don't they? ;)

I did witness some good performances from young chaps, which was quite amusing because they did it so naturally and with ease.

I'd say about 50 % of the folks walked away rather not impressed, but those were mainly the ones who were not familiar with a PS3 or any GT. One could tell by not finding the reverse gear or looking for the XBox button ;)

edit:
Unfortunately, far too many weren't really aware of some of the goodies cockpit cam has on offer. For instance looking out of the side windows or the back was hardly ever done. It's a rather jolly sight being sandwitched between Fiat 500s and looking out of the passenger window or looking back in a 458 and seeing the engine shudder from the bumps of the Nordschleife. Far too few bothered exploring those features and many just treated it as your standard racing game.

Glad you liked it in Germany though and had the chance to do a bit of sightseeing.

Did anyone drive a powerful front wheel drive car?

If I'm not mistaken, the Fiats were the only FWD cars in the demo. Couldn't say I got torque steer as such, but you could feel the point very good where the front wheels had trouble coping with both changing direction and accelerating.

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, the Fiats were the only FWD cars in the demo. Couldn't say I got torque steer as such, but you could feel the point very good where the front wheels had trouble coping with both changing direction and accelerating.

If you mean the old 500, they are RR (rear engined, rear wheel drive), just like a Porsche ;)

Fiat 500 is rear wheel drive with engine in the back, not FWD.

Edit: Ooops, someone was faster than me.

Thanks for pointing that out, but I actually drove the current Fiat 500 model. My father was the one owning an original 500. Well, several of them in fact ;)

Thanks for pointing that out, but I actually drove the current Fiat 500 model. My father was the one owning an original 500. Well, several of them in fact ;)

Then you were indeed correct as I'm sure you know, apologies for any confusion 👍

So did anybody get confirmation on the rotors glowing red from heavy braking? Just curious.

It was in GT4 so I bet it will be in and many further effects and details. PD is still showing us near 5% of GT5, wow effect of this game will be massive.

I even think they have new engine sounds in their kitchen, they couldn't be serious with using only three bad samples throughout the whole rpm range in the best driving game on the market and setting sound part of the game three classes under graphics.

Each gameshow has been adding more effects, I predict TGS will show exhaust flames and maybe glowing brakes much like the suprise we got shortly before GT4's release when exhaust flames debuted in GT (TGS or TMS 2004 IIRC).

Even if we don't see them at TGS I still am quite sure they will return for GT5.

If you mean the old 500, they are RR (rear engined, rear wheel drive), just like a Porsche ;)
Didn't know it was RR. No wonder I once lost the rear end, when I had put the hardest compound tyres on (not on video sadly enough). :D

PD is still showing us near 5% of GT5, wow effect of this game will be massive.

I'd say there isn't much left after Gamescom as far as the driving/graphics aspect is considered, save some polishing and balancing of course.

TGS should bring some more details about the gamelpay, such as B-Spec, online, track maker and such.

I'd say there isn't much left after Gamescom as far as the driving/graphics aspect is considered, save some polishing and balancing of course.

TGS should bring some more details about the gamelpay, such as B-Spec, online, track maker and such.

Many hardcore GT fans have been fighting with sincere members after they mentioned obsolete aspects of past demo builds. Almost everything of that is solved (new ring, perfect enough pseudo-3D trees everywhere, reverse lights, skidmarks, new smoke system, used look of track and surrounding) and now I think we can prepare for things we wouldn't even think about, finally good engine sounds counting into that.

Last edited:
Alas, I couldn't hear a thing because the noise was just too darn loud. I would have loved to hear the engine and gear noises but it simply wasn't audible.

At least I'm glad I could bring some members here at GTP some joy through my experience with the game; I am glad all of you liked my impressions!

Did anyone drive a powerful front wheel drive car?
Well, I didn't drive the Volvo C30, but my brother (who owns one), did drive it round the top-gear track on pro physics/sports/tc on 3.
He didn't say anything on torque steering (not too much of that) but he did mention it did feel a lot like the real thing.

Now that the discussion has touched the subject of the DFGT and G27, I would just like to ask one question off topic. Better to ask here than start a new unnecessary thread.

Does the game detect that the G27 has a clutch pedal and require that the player use it to change between gears? Because to me it seems a little odd if the GT5 controls have been developed beyond the capabilities of the official DFGT wheel as this doesn't have clutch pedal. Please enlighten me as I have no experience with any of these wheels but I want one of them for GT5.

What I mean by odd is that the official wheel should get full control support and not the possibility that the controls support more advanced wheels.

Now that the discussion has touched the subject of the DFGT and G27, I would just like to ask one question off topic. Better to ask here than start a new unnecessary thread.

Does the game detect that the G27 has a clutch pedal and require that the player use it to change between gears? Because to me it seems a little odd if the GT5 controls have been developed beyond the capabilities of the official DFGT wheel as this doesn't have clutch pedal. Please enlighten me as I have no experience with any of these wheels but I want one of them for GT5.

It doesn't in GT5P (or GT5 TT demo) so you can bet it wont force you to use the clutch on GT5. PD are well aware of the amount of people what are using G25/G27 wheels so I woundn't worry, my main concern is if they will have a clutch option at all. GT5P you press triangle to activate it in race.

Nobody knows or can really answer your question at this point Nielsen. But since Prologue supported the G25 and clutch pedal, it stands to reason that the full version of GT5 would as well.

Ok thanks for your answers. Then I'll just wait to make my decision on which wheel to buy. :)

You'll find an abundance of wheel info here but if you can afford the G27 then get that as it's a better wheel than the DFGT, also you may want to consider a Fanatec wheel.

You'll find an abundance of wheel info here but if you can afford the G27 then get that as it's a better wheel than the DFGT, also you may want to consider a Fanatec wheel.

Thanks, never noticed that forum board before. If I have to get a wheel, I think it will be Logitech as they have been cooperating with Polyphony for the DFGT. I know it probably doesn't matter when it comes to a choice between a G27 and Fanatec wheel but I prefer when things are somewhat related.

I don't want to hijack this thread but one last question. How do the cars in Gran Turismo 5 Prologue react if you let go of the clutch instantly? Real cars usually require that you remove your foot gentle and slowly. How does GT5P handle that?

Frankly, clutch support in Prologue was awful. The clutch was merely an on/off switch and if you botched the timing by just a little, it would refuse to accept the gear. I'm confident it will be improved in GT5.

Well, it has a small engagment zone but it isn't a on/off switch, with fine footwork you can slip the clutch quite easily. Hopefully it is improved in GT5.

The gear misses due to on throttle shifting (above roughly 1/4 throttle) was added later due to all the flat shifting abuse. Something that is abused constantly in Forza 3 also.

No, it has alittle part that can be used to ride the clutch, but its so small it simply acts as a button, which is a let down. Hopefully in GT5 thay make it like the clutch in LFS or something of the sort.

Wow 👍 nice review!!

Thanks for the feedback... i just read the front page post, and this has made me even more eager for November 2nd!!!!

I have been driving GT5-P lately, and i love it!!!

I cannot imagine how much gooder / better / awesome the real deal will be: GT5 !!! a little over 2 more months!!! :ouch:

Back