"Iran Befriends Iraq" = Describes the Shiite linkage between Iraq and Iran.

• Thread starter s0nny80y
  • 9 comments
http://yaleglobal.yale.edu/display.article?id=8172

excerpt:
That crucial historical factor loomed large before US President George Herbert Walker Bush after the 1991 Gulf War and led him to deny support to the anti-Saddam Shiite uprisings in southern Iraq. He realized that, freed from Saddam’s dictatorship, the overwhelmingly Shiite southern Iraq would ally with Iran. Tehran’s influence would thus extend to the oil-rich monarchies of Kuwait and Saudi Arabia.

In stark contrast, it now transpires that, as late as January 2003, his president son, George Walker, had not grasped the fact that Islam is divided among Sunnis and Shiites.

Bush Jr. was not alone among the top policymakers in Washington who never bothered to grasp the salient points of Iraqi history and culture. Instead, they accepted unsubstantiated assertions of anti-Saddam exiles that the Iraqi people were predominantly secular.

I think my history teacher has made me realize the people of Islam and of the Middle East in general haven't really changed for thousands of years, so there's no hope in trying now. Yes, it's necessary, but slightly difficult, if you know what I mean.

The article ignores every actual fact in Iraq. Like the Kurd and Sunni and the Shiite attempt despite an insugency to form a working government and the 12 million Iraqis who voted for it. And the constitution.

Its just another group hoping for a failure or at the very least not giving the success any credence and i find it racist , elitist and distastefull .

Why dont they just say they are not civilised enough to have democracy or they are too backward and they can say the same thing , but with less words ?

This country of Iraq will not come toghether overnight . How many new democracys have in history ? Dont give the Iraqi's any credit or support just dismiss them as unable or unworthy and use that as your argument against the war .

Old trick ..still doesn't work .

80% of the government seats are now controlled by Shiites. Iran is predominantly Shiite. It is safe to say that because Saddam is gone, Iran sphere of influence is wider, stronger. And we all know, due to recent headlines, President Ahmadinejad is a hostile leader who, at the moment, is challenging the right to supply Hezbollah. Iraq is most likely going to align itself with Iran unless we keep troops there for years (10-20 more years anyone?). It doesn't help that the Sunni-Shiite Civil war going on is wholly underreported. I had to Google for this article that reports that 6,000 Iraqis hae been killed in the past 2 months. That might be an exxageration, where in fact my politics-in-media teacher is telling me it's about 36 Iraqis killed a day. Imagine, Iran supports a minority faction like Hezbollah with devastating effect which leads me to believe that with the Sunni majority in control of Iraq that happens to border a Sunni-state such as Iran, only time can tell when Iraq is enveloped by Iran.

The problem is the sheiks, not the shiites. Ledhed is right.

The article and the proffesor fail to even mention the fact that the Iranians being PERSIAN and life long blood fued enemies of the Arab Iraqi's often overcomes any link of religion...unless it benifits both sides..BUT there is no trust and no willingness for the Shiites in Iraq to be dominated by there despised and historic enemy..ESPECIALLY NOW that Saddam is gone and THEY are the power in Iraq along with the Kurds..will they accept arms and aid from iran..SURE..will they let themselves be dominated by Iran ??

They would rather be dead .

Waste some time learning the history of the region and learn of cyrus the great and the Persian empire and of the History of Abysinnia , instead of wasting time with these idiots who know nothing of what they are talking about and are only speculating in a clueless fashion .

Bahgdad was once the center of civilization . You underestimate Arab pride and the pride of Iraq's people be they Bathist or secular or Kurd or Sunni or Shiite .

Take some time to learn something with your google facts ..but look at the past before you attempt to predict the future .

I don't know why we or Mr. Ahmedinejad should think Iran even needs nuclear weapons to defend himself with. Surely he can talk to "death" any weapons used against Iran.

Well even then, it can be argued that President Ahmedinejad really does not represent the people of Iran as a whole. While he indeed has the support of the lower classes in Iran, the middle and upper class people of that country have been opressed by his rule, and hopefully by the time his "term" is over, people can realise the problems he is causing.

But Iran's interest isn't something that is new in the Middle East. Not only are they playing games in Iraq, they are also pulling strings in Lebanon, Palestine, and even in Syria. Granted none of us like seeing Iran doing things such as this, but it is going to happen if we like it or not.

..Ledhed is right in this situation...

Back