Islam - What's your view on it?

• Thread starter SalmanBH
  • 5,688 comments
DCP
Is there any reason why most of the Islamic / Arabic countries in the Middle East have the exact same color flag.
Syria, Iraq, Jordon, Palestine, Kuwait, Sudan, Libya, UAE, Afghanistan? Some of them very similar, like Jordan / Palestine or Syria / Iraq.

Were they all part of the same empire in the past?

The same reason Serbia, Croatia, Czechia, Slovakia, Slovenia and Russia have similar flag designs and Yugoslavia used to.

Pan-whateverism.

You're not one of the "anti-Muslim" guys Prisoner was referring to are you?:odd: In that case your like is meaningless and furthermore, off with your head!:sly: Only the votes from the decent people up in the tower count. :D

The question is, are you automatically up in his tower if you're a decent person, or are you not a decent person until you're up in his tower? If it's the latter is there some sort of application form to enter, and if you break into the tower does that make you a decent person even if you're not? :sly:

Everybody starts in the tower. Like I said, I believe in the fundamental goodness of people. But you lose your place as soon as you express some horrifying sentiment - like, say, that's it's perfectly acceptable to deprive someone of their rights and freedoms for the sake of protecting your own person based on nothing more than guilt by association. Even moreso when you then claim to be defending the rights to free speech or expression.

Everybody starts in the tower. Like I said, I believe in the fundamental goodness of people. But you lose your place as soon as you express some horrifying sentiment - like, say, that's it's perfectly acceptable to deprive someone of their rights and freedoms for the sake of protecting your own person based on nothing more than guilt by association. Even moreso when you then claim to be defending the rights to free speech or expression.
More along of what Johnny said when it comes to your tower of righteousness.

"Everyone who has a different opinion than my correct opinion I'm going to throw out of the tower"

Hmmm, You've already stated you don't believe in a right to protect yourself, :lol:

I don't even know what point you're trying to make there. You just post something as if it is self-explanatory and proof of itself.

@squadops your problem is you don't understand what you haven't seen.

As much as I feel the right to bear arms does have it's merits(if you atleast do some sort of background checks) the effect of banning guns without licenses in Australia has improved safety ten-fold. There is only a handful of streets in any capital city of Australia that I wouldn't be game to walk through.

We don't live in fear of gun violence. Remember when Obama said that gun violence happens every day on the streets of Chicago? It doesn't happen in any of our cities.
No, but you should live in fear of a dramatically increased chance of assault and/or rape since your gun ban. I guess that's ok though, so long as those pesky guns are not lying around.

@squadops your problem is you don't understand what you haven't seen.

As much as I feel the right to bear arms does have it's merits(if you atleast do some sort of background checks) the effect of banning guns without licenses in Australia has improved safety ten-fold. There is only a handful of streets in any capital city of Australia that I wouldn't be game to walk through.
Odd that the statistics don't seem to show much positive change in violent crime stats, in fact the opposite in two cases. Since the gun ban, up to 2010 anyway, you had 50% more assaults and 22% more sexual assaults. In the 5 years following the gun ban, robberies were up 62% How does one feel safer walking down the street when your incidents of assault seem to be climbing dramatically when crime rates in general are falling dramatically in much of the Western world?
figure03.png

upload_2016-1-22_1-4-58.png

Source

Now look at those gun happy American crime stats:

upload_2016-1-22_1-12-10.png

Source

Weird eh?

Last edited:
How does one feel safer walking down the street when your incidents of assault seem to be climbing dramatically when crime rates in general are falling dramatically in much of the Western world?
Because those crimes aren't happening in the street. We have a lot of problems with domestic and alcohol-fuelled violence. Once again, you make a faulty assumption: that there's only one kind of violent crime.

I guess that's ok though, so long as those pesky guns are not lying around.
For once you're right, because giving wife-beaters ready access to handguns around the home seems like a terrible idea.

Most violence in Australia is domestic FYI.

How safe you you feel without a gun walking around in Compton at night?

In Australia I can basically walk though any Street at any time and know atleast as a male atleast my life isn't in danger.

How many mass shootings has America had Compared to Australia since 1996?

Vs. a butter knife.
Your answer should be expressed in the form of a graph, one charting deaths caused by butter knives as opposed to deaths caused by guns, and one showing the correlation between a decline in deaths by butter knife parallel to the introduction of guns.

Unless, of course, you seem to think that gun ownership will bring about a decline in domestic violence. Which has the twin advantages of proving your point and flying in the face of social understanding of the causes and psychology of domestic violence.

Most violence in Australia is domestic FYI.

How safe you you feel without a gun walking around in Compton at night?

In Australia I can basically walk though any Street at any time and know atleast as a male atleast my life isn't in danger.

How many mass shootings has America had Compared to Australia since 1996?
Uh, the gangs in Compton don't pack heat to deal with random folks. They use them to deal with other gang bangers who also pack heat.

If you're just walking through Compton & run into trouble, you're going to be held up by a group using intimidation or a knife. Any gun in that situation is likely a last resort. So, unless gangs don't exist in unsafe areas of Australia, I don't find that a terribly good comparison.

Back