Lego

• Thread starter LoudMusic
  • 2,571 comments
Hah, I actually thought the same thing myself :lol:

Jerome

Meanwhile, at the other end of the spectrum (I feel like I've posted that exact phrase here before), a Bricklink seller raised the price of a 31096 I had my eye on so I checked eBay and found one for £30.

1717012621439.png

I want it nowww! There aren't enough Lego synchropters.

I just pre-ordered this. I couldn't not, it's Ocarina of Time, man lego always hits me where it hurts lol

Jerome
I like Legend of Zelda. A Link to the Past is one of my all-time favorite games. But I have never really been interested in Lego buildings or structures, so I have no interest in buying this set. I also just saw the price on it, so it's a big fat NOPE for me.

Meanwhile, at the other end of the spectrum (I feel like I've posted that exact phrase here before), a Bricklink seller raised the price of a 31096 I had my eye on so I checked eBay and found one for £30.

View attachment 1359843

I want it nowww! There aren't enough Lego synchropters.
Pretty neat, looks like the rotors are actually geared up to be in sync?

Also, don't worry, the "other end of the spectrum" just means you have more self control. 😂

I did the Senna MP4 car last night, it was actually very well done set. Just the back end needs some tweaking. Along the bottom of both edges are a couple 2x14 strips, I replaced them with a couple 2x10 strips I had on-hand and took the remaining pieces and made so the rear section between the rear tires is more narrow to allow for the bigger tires. I got the (3D Printed) tires from here, they came with the white text too <3 - https://www.ebay.com/itm/335313593713

1.png

Jerome

Pretty neat, looks like the rotors are actually geared up to be in sync?
They are, it's got a winch and a cargo bay too. Shame the plane B-model isn't great though, the wings are really chunky and look like they should have variable sweep but don't.

And I'm not sure it's self-control so much as a lack of money... Although my average monthly spend could actually get me a Concorde or Ornithopter, I just choose to spend that much on a ton of smaller sets instead (easier to store... Except in the volume I buy them, that stops being true quite quickly!)

I started the Amazing Fantasy 15 mosaic this weekend. One corner was damaged, so I filled it in with some wood putty, hopefully it won't show after a couple coats of black paint?

Here's the dimensions of it: 28 1/8" x 42 1/2" basically the blue painters tape. The outside portion outside the tape will be black.
If you look close, there's two black lines on each long side. I really miscalculated the width on Saturday. Which would have resulted in an ugly wood strip showing between the legos and the black paint. Measure twice, paint once!
1.png

Testing out the glue I bought with an extra baseplate on the scrap piece after cutting the wood. It's so solid, I would tear the sheathing of the wood itself before that baseplate even budged. It should handle the weight no problem.
2.png

Here's that corner I tried to mend. I sanded it down, I'm hoping the first coat of paint will help fill in some areas. It is pretty even/smooth to the touch for the most part even though it doesn't look like it.
3.png

I decided when the baseplates arrive, it'll be best to have them all completed so when I apply the glue (which takes a couple hours to cure, thankfully) I can more easily align things up between all the baseplates.

When it comes to hanging it, I I haven't decided if I will drill some holes near each corner, or try the same glue on the backside with picture frame wire and one of those angled picture frame hinges. It's going to be pretty heavy but either solution should suffice. Thinking out loud I may try the picture wire first to help preserve the front as much as possible.

Jerome

Last edited:
The 31096 I ordered arrived yesterday, good condition, a bit dusty (needs washing anyway though) and the whip antenna and one trans-clear 1x1 round tile is missing but I almost definitely have the latter in my stash so no big deal.

Yesterday I decided to check prices for 4997s on eBay just to see what's up, and yes I've mentioned the set number because
Screenshot_20240604-071334.png

I can't get sniped if I've already bought it. Bricklink's price guide suggests the average including tax would be around £100 here in the UK, and I could only find £100 or more examples on eBay and BL until I saw this. I've wanted this one for a while, I just hope it a) arrives and b) is in good condition.

@Jump_Ace would be cool if you could record a time lapse of the build! What are the dimensions in studs?

Last edited:
@Jump_Ace would be cool if you could record a time lapse of the build! What are the dimensions in studs?
I don't have any of that kind of equipment, unfortunately. That would be cool though. Its 90 x 136 so 12,240 tiles. It's gonna be a CHORE, including the painting. I'm the worst painter on the planet, but hopefully my OCD will help keep things centered and aligned.

I need to figure out a way to split up everything into 16 x 16 chunks in Studio, I'll probably just select that amount and move it over a few steps and then zoom in, then do it again for the next chunk.

Jerome

Small update. Here's the mosiac chopped into 16 x 16 (plus baseplates I'll cut to size):

1717541148846.png

Here's that 'bad' corner after the first coat of paint, it could be worse I guess, hopefully people won't notice(?):

1.png

2nd coat will happen tomorrow, then I'll rest up before the big haul of baseplates and the reddish-brown tiles (that I forgot to order until yesterday - FML :lol:) come in.

Jerome

That's not sped up by the way; that's how fast my hands move when moderating...

And typing out bold/color tags 83,500 times

As I have a few unbuilt SC sets, I thought I'd experiment with a different angle:

1717602685786.png

Not sure whether this or the original/Supra works better, especially as my office table is crap to sit at and I think I had it too close to me and not centred enough for some of it.

So, Supra angle or Porsche angle?

Last edited:
As I have a few unbuilt SC sets, I thought I'd experiment with a different angle:

View attachment 1362216

Not sure whether this or the original/Supra works better, especially as my office table is crap to sit at and I think I had it too close to me and not centred enough for some of it.

So, Supra angle or Porsche angle?
I think Supra angle is better.

A Lamborghini Countach is coming July in the Icons theme. Pretty cool, though it's a little odd they went with the same colors as the Speed Champions version, but cool to see nonetheless. It does look great. $179.99 USD.

View attachment 1362484
View attachment 1362485
The proportions seem a little off. It seems a little too tall in height. But I need that. I would also like to see an updated F40 to current Icons standards, just like how they are updating the Speed Champions one to 8 wide.

Last edited:
I would also like to see an updated F40 to current Icons standards, just like how they are updating the Speed Champions one to 8 wide.
I didn't know they are (rumored to be) making an 8 wide F40, that would be very cool. The 6 wide cars look so bad looking back at them now. The Creater Expert F40 was great for the time but I agree it needs an update.

Side news, I pre-ordered a Bricklink Designer Program set, first time I have done so. It's called Ominous Isle and will be a great extension to the Pirates of Barracuda Bay (21322) set... hoping it reaches the target pre-orders.

2995152.E7A0D22E50B54B6E.jpg

I didn't know they are (rumored to be) making an 8 wide F40, that would be very cool. The 6 wide cars look so bad looking back at them now. The Creater Expert F40 was great for the time but I agree it needs an update.
Yes, the new 8 wide F40 is coming out Aug 1 this year in recognition of the 40th anniversary of the F40.

Yes, the new 8 wide F40 is coming out Aug 1 this year in recognition of the 40th anniversary of the F40.
Very cool to hear. August 1 is shaping up to be a very expensive month, Lego is releasing a lot that I would like to get.

Very cool to hear. August 1 is shaping up to be a very expensive month, Lego is releasing a lot that I would like to get.
My wishlist on the Lego website for 2024 sets alone is over $1k now. And they haven't even announced the new Technic Supercar yet. Or the new Technic G Wagon that's supposed to be coming out. I'm looking at spending like $2k on Lego this year.

I am in the same boat, my wishlist is about the same and I will be getting the Technic supercar if it's out this year. I am trying to tone it down a little on Lego (as mentioned in a previous post) I am out of room to keep anything and it is getting expensive.

In fact, I have a pile of sets (mostly Technic) that I am tempted to bring down to my local shop to sell. Don't want to sell anything but may have to.

I've already started putting some sets on chairs and in the closet. I've even stacked sets on top of each other. I don't have a solution for my space problem yet. I have room in the basement, but I don't want to put my Lego down there where I would hardly get to see them.

I got my 4997 yesterday, goodness me it's a big set. After so many in the 200-500 piece range, I'd forgotten what 1200 pieces can look like. I haven't built anything for a long time (for the well-documented reason of having a toddler who won't let built Lego sets exist yet) but I'm tempted as heck to spend my evening building this one. Just not sure I'll have enough time to build it then dismantle it again before the morning because I'm pretty sure it's too big for me to hide from him.

Annoyingly, though, it looks like it has been built from used pieces (should've seen that coming from the relatively low price and lack of instructions, plus it's an almost 20 year old set) so there are multiple shades of each colour, some look good and some don't, some slopes have a matte texture and others don't, one of the seven inverted windscreens is a different colour to the rest. In other words I might have to buy another one at some point!

My OCD can't stand that, I'd have to either return the set or toss it in the 'rando lego bin'.

Jerome

My OCD can't stand that, I'd have to either return the set or toss it in the 'rando lego bin'.

Jerome
Yeah, my eyebrow started raising when I noticed one jumper had a stud holder instead of a pin on the bottom, unfortunately it didn't come back down! I'll have to build it and see how it looks, since it's a 3 in 1 I could always use more than one copy. For half the price of a brand new boxed set and 40% less than the next cheapest used one I'm OK with it, but it doesn't have that satisfaction I was looking for in buying a set I've wanted for a while... Maybe building it will change my mind though (for better or worse!)

Back