Looking for alternatives to my "Plan"

• Thread starter Dagger311
  • 78 comments
Do old cars turn into money pits? Does a bear crap in the woods?

The only people who say otherwise have not owned old cars.

Honestly this thread is like every other "first car" thread. Good advice ignored, stupid suggestions entertained for longer than they deserve because I'm different, no really!

Look at the age gap in the advice given. Hmm experience versus ignorance. Maybe that's a hint.

Last edited:
Old cars don't have to be money pits if you buy one that's in good shape to begin with and then take care of it.

Its when you buy a beater that you have issues.

Do old cars turn into money pits? Does a bear crap in the woods?

The only people who say otherwise have not owned old cars.

Honestly this thread is like every other "first car" thread. Good advice ignored, stupid suggestions entertained for longer than they deserve because I'm different, no really!

Look at the age gap in the advice given. Hmm experience versus ignorance. Maybe that's a hint.
My Uncles mid 70's Chevy is fine. He takes care of it, and keeps it maintained, instead of waiting for stuff to break.

But anyway, regardless of reliability, gas is now a problem, so that rules 99% of the old cars out.

Old cars don't have to be money pits if you buy one that's in good shape to begin with and then take care of it.

Its when you buy a beater that you have issues.

Wrong.

There are more "wear" parts in old cars. How often do modern cars change out shock absorbers? Hardly ever. When old car technology was state of the art, someone could make a living replacing shocks.

Do you honestly believe that in the past 30-50 years the entire auto industry has failed to make progress on the reliability of computer systems, sensors, bearings, seals, valves, and materials?

My Uncles mid 70's Chevy is fine. He takes care of it, and keeps it maintained, instead of waiting for stuff to break.

Par for the course. I don't need to listen! I have a meaningless shred of evidence that gives me hope in the face of crushing reality!

These threads get repetitive.

How is it meaningless? He knows how to keep them running, so can help me.

You're right though, it is turning into the same as the others. Bunch of (presumably) older guys who think everyone's first car HAS to be a Civic/Camry/whatever.

But anyway, I thought about it last night, and if I'm getting a modern car, it should probably carry at least 4 people (Me, the person teaching me, and if I have to take my siblings somewhere).

But the Rogue does all that...

I will suggest this as a first car until I get banned from posting it numerous times ;), but:

1996-2007 Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable-

P3280160.jpg

800px-2004-2006_Ford_Taurus_Sedan.jpg

You can easily pick one up in great condition for around $1500-4000. Despite what you may have read, these cars actually handle fairly well for what they are, especially with better tires. Power is adequate with the more common Vulcan V6, plentiful with the higher output but less common Duratec V6. These cars never came with a manual transmission, only a 4-speed automatic which is a bit on the fragile side, so pay close attention to how the transmission shifts if you decide to test drive one. Other trouble spots are the factory coolant tank in the 96-02's develops cracks in it after while; OEM replacements run about $60. Don't even bother with the cheap Chinese aftermarket tank which will more than likely fail in just a few months. Also, change the coolant in the Vulcan engine at no longer of an interval than every 2 years; it is infamous for rust in the cooling system which can lead to very bad things. Finally, watch out if the rear of the car is sagging, that means the struts/springs are shot and replacement is apparently very expensive. If anybody asks why I am a strong supporter of this car, I've been the proud owner of one for nearly nine years with little trouble. 👍 The only non-maintenance items I've had to change out were the fuel pump (very expensive :ouch:, but I'm fairly confident the Motorcraft replacement unit is not made in China) and the mentioned coolant tank. Replacement parts are readily available and reasonably priced. Also, insurance rates should not be any issue considering it's a family sedan.

I think we have a winner. It's going to be pretty good on gas, and I have a treasure trove of information right here.

I think we have a winner. It's going to be pretty good on gas, and I have a treasure trove of information right here.

Bad idea. My parents had one of these and it was rubbish. We scrapped it at 100k miles because the transmission needed replacement, as well as multiple suspension components. And that was after we had already spend thousands of dollars fixing the alternator, replacing the leaking fuel tank, etc.

I'm going to suggest the same thing I usually suggest: 1st gen Mazda 3
0327359-Mazda-3-Sport-1.6-CiTD-Active-2004.jpg

I had one of these, they're great fun to drive (seriously, you'll have more fun with one of these then with most old V8 muscle cars), good on gas, cheap to insure and repair, and bulletproof reliable.👍

I think he wants the sound of a V8 with the old school styling more so than anything else. He even said himself he doesn't care if its even remotely quick.

I think he wants the sound of a V8 with the old school styling more so than anything else. He even said himself he doesn't care if its even remotely quick.
You're not doing a very good job of his spokesman (I'm sure he doesn't need one anyway, but whatever) if you've not read his previous posts about gas prices. I'm not sure a "V8 with old school styling" is what he's actually looking for any longer.

Overall that was what he wanted based on our discussions outside of GTP. He isn't against anything else, its just a high preference.

Overall that was what he wanted based on our discussions outside of GTP. He isn't against anything else, its just a high preference.
Which is fine, but also irrelevant now as he's since said this:
But anyway, regardless of reliability, gas is now a problem, so that rules 99% of the old cars out.
We get it Slash: You want to talk about V8s all day long. But your "client" is now apparently not searching for a V8, unless he happens to find one that he's happy to run if gas creeps to $5 a gallon.

Ok, lets rule out the V8 then.

Why does he have to give up the classic looks? You can easily get 4 cylinder cars that are more than capable of getting 25-30+mpg in an old shell. Mustang II's with 4 cylinders, or hell, even a Fox Body or Vega can be had for as low as $500 in running condition.

That way he can save money know and already have an available platform to build on as he wishes. Win-win, for the most part.

If you're wanting a Ford sedan like the Taurus, you may want to consider the Fusion. It offers better fuel economy than the Taurus; 20/28 for the four cylinder, 18/27 for the six, whereas the Taurus returns 18/25 with 68 less horsepower than the V6 Fusion (153 versus 221). The four cylinder Fusion was available with a five-speed manual across all trim levels if you're into that. Ford's craptastic resale values mean that it's possible to find a low mileage example for under $10k. Like the Taurus, the Fusion too has a Mercury sibling, the Milan.

2006-mercury-milan.jpg

2006-2007_Ford_Fusion_2.jpg

2008_ford_fusion_sel_v6_awd-pic-2325411106863281940.jpeg

I'd say stay away from the Taurus honestly. Lots of issues with them and they are a bitch to fix.

If you're wanting a Ford sedan like the Taurus, you may want to consider the Fusion. It offers better fuel economy than the Taurus; 20/28 for the four cylinder, 18/27 for the six, whereas the Taurus returns 18/25 with 68 less horsepower than the V6 Fusion (153 versus 221). The four cylinder Fusion was available with a five-speed manual across all trim levels if you're into that. Ford's craptastic resale values mean that it's possible to find a low mileage example for under $10k. Like the Taurus, the Fusion too has a Mercury sibling, the Milan.

2006-mercury-milan.jpg

2006-2007_Ford_Fusion_2.jpg

2008_ford_fusion_sel_v6_awd-pic-2325411106863281940.jpeg
Wow, that looks sweet :embarrassed:.

Ok, lets rule out the V8 then.

Why does he have to give up the classic looks? You can easily get 4 cylinder cars that are more than capable of getting 25-30+mpg in an old shell. Mustang II's with 4 cylinders, or hell, even a Fox Body or Vega can be had for as low as $500 in running condition.

That way he can save money know and already have an available platform to build on as he wishes. Win-win, for the most part.

To be honest, the more I'm thinking about it, I'll probably be taking my siblings places (my parents will want me to, I'm sure of it), and if I wreck (Anything can happen, all it takes is one person running a red light), I'd rather it be in a modern car. If it were a second car, or if I was the only one who would be in it, vintage (at least smog era) muscle car for sure 👍.

Why does he have to give up the classic looks?
I didn't specify that he did. If I thought Dagger could get something old, but also acceptably frugal and not a complete bag of manure, I'd be more than happy to recommend it to him. But realistically affordable American stuff only gives you a choice of any two of those three criteria at once.

And frankly, it's not really worth stooping to some of the worst cars America ever produced (a four-cylinder Mustang II? You'd seriously advocate someone buys one of those?) simply to get "old school styling".

I only stated "V8 with old school styling" as that's the phrase you used. Though again:
Dagger311
so that rules 99% of the old cars out
...seems to suggest old cars aren't really on the shopping list any longer either. Confirmed in the post above mine, I see.

Yeah, Slash, as much as I hate to say it, gas prices sort of woke me up. They've already raised 20 cents a gallon since I posted that, and aren't expected to slow down. And if I'm going to be taking my family places, I want them safe. Although I'm still looking at vintage muscle, just as a much later, second car. Oh, and also a motorcycle.

Although, there's been a small hiccup on my birth certificate, but when that's sorted out, I can take my test and start driving on the street.

Back