Major League Baseball: 2024 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 272 comments
Not discounting the miracles, they're probably the hottest team at the moment, but I'd rather have us face the likes of Lindor & Alonso rather than Ohtani/Betts/Freeman/Muncy/Glasnow/etc. Plus basically playing at home vs a long crosscountry trip. The Padres would probably be the best matchup but other than the Soto angle it's just a bit boring.

Still have to get past whoever wins the Central showdown. Happy that they've gone to game 5 and so the Tigers have to use up Skubal. Would rule him out for the first 2 games of the ALCS. Any lefty causes trouble for the Yankee lineup this year, let alone the Cy Young favourite.

Not discounting the miracles, they're probably the hottest team at the moment, but I'd rather have us face the likes of Lindor & Alonso rather than Ohtani/Betts/Freeman/Muncy/Glasnow/etc. Plus basically playing at home vs a long crosscountry trip. The Padres would probably be the best matchup but other than the Soto angle it's just a bit boring.

Still have to get past whoever wins the Central showdown. Happy that they've gone to game 5 and so the Tigers have to use up Skubal. Would rule him out for the first 2 games of the ALCS. Any lefty causes trouble for the Yankee lineup this year, let alone the Cy Young favourite.
Glasnow is done for the year. Same as Kershaw. Dodgers pitching has been ravaged by injuries and aside from Flaherty and Yamamoto, don't have any other reliable options. Their hitting? Ohtani, Betts, Freeman, Smith and Hernandez are the big threats and I'd be more worried about their RP but the risk you run with having dominant relievers come in too much is that they burn out quicker. They are a dangerous team but they are not unbeatable. San Diego is more well rounded with slightly less hitting and better pitching. The Mets have a consistent, but not otherworldly, rotation, decent hitting and a shaky bullpen.

From the Yankees perspective, the one thing the Mets have is a very strong track record against Gerrit Cole. Cole has a 6.99 ERA against the Mets in 9 starts (2 of them this year) and that's not really going to instill confidence if your ace has struggled a lot against your opponent.

Admittedly doesn’t improve the stats much if at all but half of those starts were in his Pirates days, and he’s a completely different style of pitcher now. He’s homer prone, just have to hope it’s a good cold evening with the wind blowing in. I’m actually more worried about the rest of the pitching, Rodon in particular (who’s been good vs the Mets in a small sample).

In the end there’s no ideal matchup but a Subway Series would be really good entertainment, whoever wins.

Latest Posts

Back