Major League Baseball: 2024 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 196 comments
It feels like the Twilight Zone when the Mets are better than the Yankees. Awesome job by the Metropolitans! And yeah... the Braves are not a sorry team. If the Mets can take down the Braves next series, more power to the Mets.

Do you see the Reds as buyers or sellers come the Trade Deadline, @Dolph Drago ? Or what do you think they should do by that deadline?
I think they should stay put, personally. It's a young team, and it seems every player has a high ceiling. If they can get fully or mostly healthy and become a little bit more consistent, I believe they can make a serious run.

But I suspect they'll be buyers. The bench is deep. With so much young talent to use as trade bait, I could see them going for a proven veteran who brings experience and leadership to the team, a la Scott Rolen 10-15 years ago. I believe most see India as the heart and leader of the team with the most time spent with the club (other than maybe Stephenson), but he was NL ROY only 3 years ago. Though Googling his name just now, I see the Yankees are interested in him. Hard to say what is going to happen.

Dylan Cease throws his first no-hitter of his career, and San Diego now has two no-hitters. San Diego was the last MLB team to not throw a no-hitter in their history. They now have two. San Diego beat Washington 3-0 in Washington, D.C., USA.

Before I share this next series summary, let me ask... is it just me, or is the AppleTV+ coverage of MLB games absolute trash? Okay. On to my latest summary now.

It is 2017. It is Rancho Cucamonga, California, USA. It was Houston Astros at Los Angeles Dodgers- Game 7. The Houston Astros defeated the Los Angeles Dodgers for their first-ever Championship. Three years later, cheating controversy was discovered in Houston's 2017 World Series triumph. Long-time rivals, Astros and Dodgers have some hotter bad blood over the years. Los Angeles Dodgers wished they had the 2017 Championship handed to them. Even though this series is not for the Championship, the Dodgers want to try to rattle the brains of my Houston Astros. Three games in H-Town in Interleague play. Let's get it!

* LAD Dodgers at HOU Astros (3 games)

[GAME 1] This game was on AppleTV+, so I can only give whatever score(s) I can recall. The first time I saw the score on X/Twitter, it was 4-0, Astros in the Top of the 7th. Framber Valdez knocked down 10 strikeouts in this game going 6.1 innings in this one. Final score: 5-0, Astros.

[GAME 2] The Dodgers scored nothing last night, but scored tonight on an RBI in the Top of the 2nd. The Dodgers took an early 1-0 lead. It was Sho-Time, as Shohei Ohtani blasted one to the upper deck to right to put the Dodgers up 2-0 in the Top of the 3rd. Ronel Blanco was really off tonight. Ronel Blanco left the game in the Top of the 5th, then the Dodgers ripped some RBis to go up 3-0 followed by 4-0. The Dodgers put up another run in the Top of the 6th on an RBI. So now it's 5-0, Dodgers- the opposite of last night. Astros finally score on an RBI in the Bottom of the 6th, followed by an RBI parade. The Dodgers' lead went from 5-0 to 5-4 with this four-run rally. In the Top of the 8th, the Dodgers homered to right to extend their lead to 6-4. Worse of all, it was by Cavan Biggio- Astros' legend Craig Biggio's son. Astros added a run on an RBI single to bring the lead to 6-5 in the Bottom of the 8th. Then in the same inning, Jon Singleton brings home a run to level the game at 6-6. Alex Bregman hit a BIG "Breggy Bomb" to left over the train tracks at Minute Maid Park to walk off the Dodgers. From 5-0 to an epic rally, the Astros would NOT be denied this Saturday night! Astros win 7-6. What a game! What a comeback!

[GAME 3] The first score I followed was a 3-2 lead by the Los Angeles Dodgers in the Top of the 6th. First pitch of the Top of the 8th, and the ball disappared to the Crawford Boxes (left at Minute Maid Park). Dodgers looking good trying to avoid getting swept as they extend their lead to 4-2. Further extension was on an RBI double. Pending late magic by Houston, Dodgers will prevent the sweep now up 5-2. A sacrifice fly in the Top of the 9th led to the Dodgers leading 6-2. The Astros' bid to possibly sweep the Dodgers was denied as the final score was 6-2, Dodgers.

--- REVIEW ---
GM1: (5-0; Houston)
GM2: (7-6; Houston)
GM3: (6-2; Los Angeles Dodgers)

RESULT: HOU wins series 2-1

--- UPCOMING ---
NEXT: vs. PIT Pirates (3 games, starting Monday)

The 2024 Houston Astros are now 55-50 on the season, still leading the AL West. Seattle swept their series at the Chicago White Sox, and Texas were swept themselves at the Toronto Blue Jays. So the race in the AL West at present is still a tight one between Houston and Seattle. Though Seattle has one more win than Houston, we still lead the AL West on win percentage.

The nine-game home stand continues as the Pittsburgh Pirates come to Houston. Pittsburgh was once one of Houston's division foes in the NL Central. Now the Pirates come on down to Houston for a three-game Interleague series. And guess what? We face the balling beast of a pitcher Paul Skenes on Monday.

Congratulations to all recent series winners and today's/tonight's winners! If your team split or lost a series recently, hope the next series goes better for you. Remember the Trade Deadline is coming up. Be sure your team(s) got the talent they want to get.

Last edited:
Yankees picked up Jazz Chisholm in a trade with the Marlins. A good player but it feels like papering over some cracks the size of the Grand Canyon. The vast majority of the hitters excluding Judge/Soto have been horrendous, I think only always-injured Stanton and the catcher Wells have a wrc+ over 100.

Somehow the team is still only 1 game back of the Orioles and likely/hopefully headed for the playoffs thanks to the hot start, but a World Series appearance is a pipe dream without at least one more big bat (any available 3rd basemen?) and the rest getting it together. We managed to take a series from the Red Sox but the Phillies are up next and will likely crush us, despite their own recent struggles.

It's 6:00 PM Eastern [Daylight] Time... MLB Trade Deadline is OVER. Hopefully your team(s) got the trade action they needed to make, if any. Continue on with this 2024 season!

As for me, the PIT at HOU series summary will be available once I complete everything.

The Reds did make some moves at the deadline. Starter Montas and reliever Sims are now gone.

Montas had a strong start to the season but has struggled since. He was shipped to Milwaukee in exchange for reliever Jakob Junis and outfielder Joey Weimer. Cincy has a plethora of arms, so they should be okay without him, especially with Lodolo and Spiers back from the IL. I vaguely recognize the name Weimer, I'm sure from him playing the Reds in their divisional games, though he's been on the field sparingly this season. He is a University of Cincinnati alum, so it'll be like coming back home for him. I'm not familiar with Junis. He, too, has not been on the field much this year, but does boast a 2.42 ERA over 26 innings.

Sims has been a solid fixture of the bullpen for several years now, so it will be sad to see him go. The Reds bring in Single A pitcher Ovis Portes from Boston, who I know nothing about.

We'll see how it all pans out.

The Houston Astros traded Joey Loperfido and Jake Bloss to Toronto in exchange for Yusie Kikuchi. Most Astros fans are none too impressed with Dana Brown. Some even liken this trade to JJ Watt and DeAndre Hopkins getting traded from the NFL's Houston Texans to the Arizona Cardinals. Anyhow, on to this series...

For three days, Houston will be invaded by Pirates. The Houston Astros will try to defend their home from those pesky Pittsburgh Pirates. They've done it quite often when back in the days of the National League Central. Can they knock off the Buccos as members of the American League West? Back-to-back Interleague series coming up. This time, against the Pittsburgh Pirates.

* PIT Pirates at HOU Astros (3 games)

[GAME 1] Jake Bloss really has to step up as Astros pitcher because Paul Skenes is the opposing pitcher for this one. Houston wore their lovely Space City uniforms as per all Monday games at Minute Maid Park. This game was 5-2, Pirates in the Bottom of the 9th and two outs when I first watched the game. Apparently, the Astros were leading until Josh Hader allowed a home run that basically sunk the Astros when they had a chance to defeat Paul Skenes and the Pirates. A bases loaded walk with two outs let the Astros cut the lead to 5-3. Astros tried to rally late, but it was over. Pirates take Game 1, 5-3. This only encapsulated a day of disappointment and anger with the trades the Astros made.

[GAME 2] Houston celebrated Andre Johnson Day tonight as the former Houston Texans star officially goes into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Pittsburgh struck first on an RBI after Houston made a Double Play in the Top of the 2nd. Pirates go up 1-0. A costly error of a routine play ends up costing the Astros another run. It is now 2-0, Pirates in the Top of the 4th. A deep RBI to left made it a 3-0 Pirates lead the same inning. Yanier Diaz was sick of the Astros trailing, so he did something about it on the very first pitch of the Bottom of the 4th. How about a solo jack to left? Astros truncated the Pirates' lead to 3-1. Houston saw the ball get hammered over their heads to left-center in the Top of the 6th. Pirates now up 5-1. Maybe the Astros' trade decisions this year are coming back to punish the Astros. Astros inched closer on a failed double play by the Pirates. Astros are now down 5-2 in the Bottom of the 6th. A bases loaded walk in the Top of the 8th led to another Pirates run, and I stopped watching the game afterwards as Pittsburgh went up 6-2. Final score: 6-2, Pirates.

[GAME 3] In the Top of the 2nd, the Pirates went up 2-0 on a two-run homer to left. They added some RBIs to take their lead from 2-0 to 4-0. Houston tried to steal home on a bad pitch in the Bottom of the 2nd... and succeeded! Astros cut the lead to 4-1. A botched catch by Pittsburgh lead to an Astro running home and scoring in the Bottom of the 3rd. Astros cut into the lead some more the same inning with two RBIs. The 3rd inning ended with Pittsburgh leading 4-3. When Pittsburgh changed pitchers in the Bottom of the 6th, Mauricio Dubón whacks a two-run jack to left-center on the new pitcher's first pitch to give the Astros the go-ahead 5-4 lead. The "Honduran Hammer" gave the Astros the lift they needed most. That score would stand as Houston avoids the sweep by scoring five unanswered runs. Better news is that Seattle and Texas both lost today.

--- REVIEW ---
GM1: (5-3; Pittsburgh)
GM2: (6-2; Pittsburgh)
GM3: (5-4; Houston)

RESULT: PIT wins series 2-1

--- UPCOMING ---
NEXT: vs. TB Rays (3 games, starting Friday)

The 2024 Houston Astros are now 55-52 on the season, dropped to being 2nd the AL West. They are also currently 5th in the AL Wild Card.

This nine-game home stand will conclude with the Tampa Bay Rays coming to Houston for a three-game weekend series. A brutal August awaits the Astros. A lot of tough opponents including the White Sox make up the Astros' toughest month of the 2024 season. This upcoming month will feel like going to Hell, and some demonic teams await them this upcoming month. Can the Astros keep the pressure going? It all begins this weekend.

Elsewhere...

The 2024 Chicago White Sox lost their 17th straight game recently. The all-time longest losing streak in MLB history is 23 straight losses, set by the 1961 Philadelphia Phillies. My beloved Houston Astros will meet the Chicago White Sox between August 15 through August 17. I surely hope my Astros don't become the team that they snap their losing funk should their losing streak extend up to the at Astros' series. But considering how trash the Astros have been recently, that's very possible.

Congratulations to all recent series winners and today's/tonight's winners! If your team split or lost a series recently, hope the next series goes better for you. Well, what's up with your team(s) lately?

Last edited:
Jazz Chisholm has made an incredible start with the Yankees after the trade - 4 HR and 8 RBI in 4 games, that's a 1400 OPS whilst also playing a new position (we've got him at 3rd as Gleyber Torres couldn't/wouldn't switch from 2nd).

He's been the spark we desperately needed, now on a 5 game winning streak and catching back up to the Orioles in the AL East standings.

Only other trades were a couple of middle relievers. Bullpen needs help as our closer is called Cardiac Clay for a reason, heartrates spike when he's on the mound. Apparently we had a deal for starter Jack Flaherty but turned it down for health concerns - he ended up on the Dodgers, hopefully that non-move doesn't bite us in the butt.

Blue Jays, Angels and Rangers are up next, the sort of underperforming teams we should be beating - so expect another losing streak to begin.

Find your favorite team(s) as I provide this Standings Update:

(source: ESPN)

--- American League Standings (as of: August 1, 2024) ---
AL EAST: Baltimore (65-44), NYY (65-45), BOS (57-50), TB (55-53), TOR (50-59)
AL CENTRAL: Cleveland (65-42), MIN (59-48), KC (60-49), DET (52-57), CHW (27-84)
AL WEST: Houston (56-52), SEA (57-53), TEX (52-57), LAA (47-61), OAK (45-65)
CURRENT AL WILD CARD: NYY, MIN, KC

--- National League Standings (as of: August 1, 2024) ---
NL EAST: Philadelphia (65-43), ATL (58-49), NYM (57-51), WAS (49-60), MIA (40-68)
NL CENTRAL: Milwaukee (61-47), STL (56-52), PIT (55-53), CIN (52-56), CHC (52-58)
NL WEST: Los Angeles Dodgers (63-46), SD (59-51), ARI (58-51), SF (54-56), COL (39-70)
CURRENT NL WILD CARD: ATL, SD, ARI

Remember the Top 3 teams that are not leading their respective divisions are Wild Card eligible. Nobody has clinched a postseason berth yet, neither has any team been eliminated thus far. So there is still some room for improvement.

By the way... longest winning streak: New York Yankees (5 straight wins), and longest losing streak: Chicago White Sox (17 straight losses).

Enjoy this month of baseball!

Last edited:
Oof...Blake Snell put on a clinic against Cincy. I don't necessarily like my team being on the losing side of things, but congrats on the no-no.

Ouch. If it makes you feel any better, @Dolph Drago , at least you didn't get perfect game'd, like what Matt Cain of the SF Giants did to my Astros in a 10-0 rout in San Francisco in 2012. Still stinks to be on the losing end of a no-hitter, or even a Perfect Game for that matter.

Welcome to Hell. At least... that's what it feels like for the Houston Astros for August 2024. So many tough opponents make up August 2024. One of those is the Tampa Bay Rays. They'll face them again in Tampa Bay, but they got the artists formerly known as the Devil Rays this weekend. Let's see how the Astros handle the first series of August 2024 as this home stand concludes for Houston...

* TB Rays at HOU Astros (3 games)

[GAME 1] The first score I saw was a 2-2 tie in the Bottom of the 6th. Daredevil base running after an error got Yordan Alvarez home in the Bottom of the 7th. Houston got the go-ahead lead of 3-2 after seven innings. Josh Hader converted on 22 straight saves, 2nd all-time in Astros' history. Only Brad "Lights Out" Lidge has more (24 straight saves, in 2005). Astros win 3-2.

[GAME 2] This Saturday night game was on FOX as part of regional coverage. The party was started by Jon Singleton of the Houston Astros on a solo jack to right in the Bottom of the 2nd. Astros go up 1-0. Josh Lowe puts Tampa Bay up 2-1 on a go-ahead two-run bomb to right in the Top of the 5th. Tampa Bay hit two solo homers in the Top of the 7th, one to right and one to left, to extend their lead to 4-1. Astros know August is going to be a rough month, and its ugly head is being reared in this game. Possible Rubber Game coming up tomorrow before the Astros' next road trip. I stopped watching after two base hits in the Top of the 9th. Final score: 6-1, Rays. Rubber Game tomorrow.

[GAME 3] The Rubber Game of this series on this Sunday afternoon is the final match of this long home stand for the Astros before they hit the road for a long road trip. Tampa Bay struck first on two hard-hit doubles in the Top of the 3rd. Rays go up 1-0. Despite the Astros' stagnant offense, Spencer Arrighetti notched up 12 strikeouts in this one. The Houston Astros felt cursed in this game, not being able to drive in runs on well-hit balls. They end up losing this series and this game. The final for this game is 1-0 in favor of Tampa Bay.

--- REVIEW ---
GM1: (3-2; Houston)
GM2: (6-1; Tampa Bay)
GM3: (1-0; Tampa Bay)

RESULT: TB wins series 2-1

--- UPCOMING ---
NEXT: at TEX Rangers (3 games, starting Monday)

The 2024 Houston Astros are now 57-54 on the season, dropped to 2nd the AL West. They are now currently 6th in the AL Wild Card.

So after a nine-game homestand, we embark on a nine-game away tour across three cities. Three at the Rangers, three at Boston, and three at Tampa Bay. This is going to be TOUGH. Even a Rangers sweep will keep the Astros at 2nd in the AL West. That still doesn't help the fact they face a vicious road trip. The Astros will have to try to win as many series as possible and get as many wins as possible to have any postseason hope. The best the Astros can hope for is them winning (or even sweeping) at Texas followed by losses by Seattle to get back the AL West lead.

Congratulations to all recent series winners and today's/tonight's winners! If your team split or lost a series recently, hope the next series goes better for you.

WHITE SOX WIN! WHITE SOX WIN! WHITE SOX WIN!!!

The woeful 2024 Chicago White Sox finally knocked down a win at the Oakland Athletics on Tuesday with a 5-1 victory. The 2024 White Sox tied the 1988 Baltimore Orioles for the longest losing streak by an American League team with 21. Their losing streak didn't extend to 22 as they finally won a game. So now, the 2024 White Sox are 28-88 on the season, 5th in the AL Central and 40.5 games back in the AL Central.

The Astros at Rangers series has concluded. I will not post my summary because I am watching to see how Tigers at Mariners ends tonight. How that game ends up will impact what changes I may have to make to my summary in regards to the AL West division race. So stay tuned.

[UPDATE] I meant "Astros at Rangers," not "Rangers at Astros." Changes made.

Last edited:
Houston has to leave Minute Maid Park, but they don't have to leave the state of Texas for their next game. They're up in the site of the 2024 MLB All-Star Game at Globe Life Field. The Astros know they can really distance themselves from the Rangers if they can win this series. Even if the Astros got swept, Houston will still be 2nd in the AL West. The Silver Boot Series resumes between the Astros and the defending Champion Texas Rangers, and here is my summary!

* HOU Astros at TEX Rangers (3 games)

[GAME 1] The first score I saw was 1-1 in the Top of the 7th. Then later, I saw it was 3-2, Astros in the Top of the 10th with the bases loaded and one out. The Rangers on two outs left end up banging a walk-off two-run jack to sink the Astros. Three straight losses for the Astros as the Rangers won 4-3 in 10 innings. I'm told the Astros loaded the bases with regularity but couldn't get much runs home. Sad.

[GAME 2] The Astros will need to win this game and tomorrow's game to get the tie-breaker between themselves and Texas. Did they get the "W" tonight? Let's find out. Astros struck first on an RBI in the Top of the 4th to go up 1-0. Houston added another run in the Top of the 6th for a 2-0 advantage. I said that I'd love to see Yordan Alvarez bomb a homer again. Guess what he did in the Top of the 9th inning? Two-run jack to right by Air Yordan by almost the same place last night's walk-off homer by the Rangers was hit. Astros up 4-0. It took Yordan 590 games to reach 150 homers- the quickest in Astros history. Dang did that feel good for the Astros! I didn't notice this, but Framber Valdez had a no-hitter going into the Bottom of the 9th! Did he complete the no-hitter? No. A two-run homer with two outs was given up. Astros still lead, but now it's 4-2 as Valdez left the game one-hitting the Rangers. A no-hitter would have been great, but the Astros will take the 4-2 victory. Rubber Game tomorrow afternoon.

[GAME 3] The first score I saw on this Wednesday afternoon game was 2-0, Astros at the Middle of the 5th. Yusei Kikuchi was Houston's starting pitcher. Victor Caratini had liftoff on a solo jack to deep right in the Top of the 6th to extend Houston's lead to 3-0. Two RBIs the same inning made it a 4-0 Astros lead, and then 5-0. The Rangers finally figured out Yusei Kikuchi has he gives up a solo jack to deep left off of Marcus Simien. Now the Astros' lead is cut to 5-1. The Astros started falling apart in one inning. Two RBIs after the solo jack took the Astros from leading 5-0 to leading 5-3. Alex Bregman didn't hit a "Breggy Bomb," but he did knock in an RBI in the Top of the 8th to put the Astros up 6-3. Texas gets a run back in the Bottom of the 8th to bring the Astros lead to 6-4. The Houston Astros took the series and retains the Silver Boot (8th straight season now) with a 6-4 win today. Josh Hader now ties Brad "Lights Out" Lidge for most consecutive saves with 24.

--- REVIEW ---
GM1: (4-3, 10 innings; Texas)
GM2: (4-2; Houston)
GM3: (6-4; Houston)

--- UPCOMING ---
NEXT: at BOS Red Sox (3 games, starting Friday)

The 2024 Houston Astros are now 59-55 on the season. They were tied with the Seattle Mariners with identical 59-55 vrecords; and after the Tigers at Mariners' series finale concluded, we are now leading the AL West. I didn't post this summary until the Tigers at Mariners game concluded. Seattle now has one more loss than Houston as of the time of this summary post.

Texas did their best to suppress Houston, and Boston will try their hand coming up. Houston has to deal with the Red Sox and the Green Monster next for a three-game weekend series as this road trip continues. The remnants of Tropical Storm Debby may mean a game or two may get postponed in Boston.

Elsewhere...

It is being reported that Bristol Motor Speedway will host a MLB game or series in 2025. It will play host to the Cincinnati Reds vs. Atlanta Braves. Some of you may remember Bristol played host to college football games. Now, Bristol will see some baseball. Hopefully none of the players hit the wall like in an intense NASCAR race...

Congratulations to all recent series winners and today's/tonight's winners! If your team split or lost a series recently, hope the next series goes better for you. What happened to your team(s) lately?

It is being reported that Bristol Motor Speedway will host a MLB game or series in 2025. It will play host to the Cincinnati Reds vs. Atlanta Braves. Some of you may remember Bristol played host to college football games. Now, Bristol will see some baseball. Hopefully none of the players hit the wall like in an intense NASCAR race...
The Reds playing at a NASCAR venue? My worlds colliding! :D

The Chicago White Sox have officially fired their manager, Pedro Grifol. Grady Sizemore, a player I remember, was promoted to being the interim manager for the White Sox. They also made a bunch of coaching firings also. Among them... Charlie Montoyo (bench), Eddie Rodriguez (3B), and Mike Tosar (hitting).

The Chicago White Sox have the worst record in baseball at 27-89. They are dead last (5th) in the AL Central, 40.5 games back in the AL Central. Though... not officially eliminated yet.

Wow, I knew the Sox were bad, but not THAT bad! They had almost as many losses in that losing streak as they have wins on the entire season. I seem to remember Sizemore being with Cleveland for a good bit of his career. Can't hurt to try him out as manager.

The Houston Astros and Boston Red Sox have had plenty of battles among them before. Everything from some of the epic battles in the ALCS to that one game where Boston hit two Grand Slams at the Astros, these two have been fierce competitors. The Astros will have to contend with the Green Monster and the wild Boston fans. Let's see what my beloved baseball team did in Boston this weekend...

* HOU Astros at BOS Red Sox (3 games)

[GAME 1] I accidentally snooped on a score, and I saw Houston was up 1-0 in the Top of the 1st. Then, I saw it was 2-1, Boston in the Top of the 4th later in the game. When I finally watched the game, it was 8-3, Houston in the Top of the 9th. Though the Astros tagged a runner in the Bottom of the 9th, a Red Sox player crossed home plate to cut Houston's lead in half to 8-4. One run was all Boston could muster as the Astros take Game 1 of this series with an 8-4 win.

[GAME 2] This game on Saturday afternoon was shown on FOX Sports 1 (FS1). Boston wore their yellow City Connect uniforms with the sky blue letters. The first score I saw was 1-0, Astros leading in the Top of the 2nd. As soon as I started watching this game, Boston bombs a homer on the first pitch in the Bottom of the 5th. So we're tied 1-1. The FS1 camera only shown Spencer Arrighetti shrugging after allowing a homer. Later camera views shown where the ball ended up. Yordan Alvarez bombed one to right on a two-run jack in the Top of the 6th. Houston goes ahead 3-1. Speaking of bombs, Alex Bregman dropped a "Breggy Bomb" in the Top of the 7th to left-center. Astros now lead 4-1. Remember the leadoff homer from earlier by Boston? Well, they did it again in the Bottom of the 7th on the first pitch of that inning. Houston's lead is cut to 4-2 now. Spencer Arrighetti recorded 13 strikeouts; and other than the two homers he gave up, he was balling. Who else was balling? Zach Dezenzo with a solo jack over the Green Monster in the Top of the 8th. Houston goes up 5-2 now. Boston brought in two runs on an RBI single in the Bottom of the 8th. The lead by the Astros is cut to 5-4 as Boston smelled blood. Houston held serve on the road to win 5-4. Josh Hader converted his 25th successive Save. He now has more saves in a row in Astros history than Brad Lidge's 24-straight saves from 2005.

[GAME 3] I did not see this game at all. I took a midday nap and woke up to see we smashed the Boston Red Sox and swept the series. Final score: 10-2, Houston Astros.

--- REVIEW ---
GM1: (8-4; Houston)
GM2: (5-4; Houston)
GM3: (10-2; Houston)

RESULT: HOU wins series 3-0

--- UPCOMING ---
NEXT: at TB Rays (3 games, starting Monday)

The 2024 Houston Astros are now 62-55 on the season, five straight wins. We still lead the AL West currently, but whether or not have a half game or 1.5 game depends on how Seattle does at home against the Mets tonight. Seattle still has one more loss than Houston as of the time of this summary post.

The current road trip began with a loss but has since been five straight wins by the Astros. Houston answered the bell and answered the call of this vicious road trip. Houston can return home after they are done with this three-game set in Tampa Bay to play against the Rays.

Congratulations to all recent series winners and today's/tonight's winners! If your team split or lost a series recently, hope the next series goes better for you.

New York Yankees fans must feel like they hit rock bottom last night. They not only lost at the Chicago White Sox, but lost 12-2. Ouch.

robin wright film GIF

Honestly we expect the team to play down to opponents levels, it happens all the time. Still only half a game back of the Orioles & Judge is still hammering the hell out of the ball - when opposing managers aren't too cowardly to pitch to him. He's going full Barry Bonds this year (without the alleged juice).

The Houston Astros end their road trip in Tampa Bay. Last time the Astros and Rays met, they avoided getting swept back in Houston. Now, the Astros hope to take down the Rays in their house. A winning road trip is assured after having won five straight after losing Game 1 at Texas in this 9-game road trip. How did the Astros finish the road trip? Let me tell you how it went.

* HOU Astros at TB Rays (3 games)

[GAME 1] BOOM! Breggy Bomb, baby! Alex Bregman got the party started with a solo jack to deep left to go up 1-0 in the Top of the 1st. Yordan Alvarez banged in an RBI in the Top of the 3rd to go up 2-0. Yanier Diaz launched a three-run homer to left-center in the same inning to put Houston up 5-0. Tampa Bay got on the board on a sacrifice fly in the Bottom of the 3rd. The final score to this one was 6-1, Astros.

[GAME 2] Yordan Alvarez apparently hit a ball in batting practice that ended up damaging the right-side of Tropicana Field's scoreboard. Air Yordan got power, yo. Tampa Bay scored first on an RBI single in the Bottom of the 2nd. Rays go ahead 1-0 at that point. The Astros got on the [broken] board and got even with an RBI in the Top of the 3rd. We're leveled at 1-1 now. Astros went ahead on a solo homer by Alex Bregman in the Top of the 5th, who logged three hits in the game. In the Top of the 6th, Jeremy Peña went yard. JP3's bomb put Houston up 3-1. Astros almost got out of a bases loaded jam in the Bottom of the 8th, but a bobbled ball brought home a Ray to cut Houston's lead to 3-2. Josh Hader converted his 26th straight save. And as Seattle lost at Detroit 15-1 tonight, the Astros now have a little cushion as AL West leaders. It is now seven straight wins for the Houston Astros now as Houston wins 3-2 tonight.

[GAME 3] It was a pitching duel all night long until the Top of the 5th, when the Houston Astros struck first on a solo jack by Jeremy Peña. Astros went up 1-0. Houston had way too many pop-ups in this game. Houston tried to deny Tampa Bay at home plate in the Bottom of the 8th, but failed. The Rays tied the game at 1-1. Another bullpen letdown seems looming in Houston's attempt to sweep the Rays on the road. Regulation solved nothing. Bring on extra innings. A base hit in the Top of the 10th put Houston up 2-1. Tense moments, but Houston held serve for the 2-1 win in 10 innings.

--- REVIEW ---
GM1: (6-1; Houston)
GM2: (3-2; Houston)
GM3: (2-1, 10 innings; Houston)

RESULT: HOU wins series 3-0

--- UPCOMING ---
NEXT: vs. CHW White Sox (3 games, starting Friday)

The 2024 Houston Astros are now 65-55 on the season, still leading the AL West (2.5 games ahead of Seattle) and winners of eight straight games. It's the first time the Astros have been 10 or more games above .500 this season.

This road trip is a winning one in a tough month of August. Now the Astros can return home. They will host the Chicago White Sox for a three-game weekend series. Considering the White Sox whacked the visiting New York Yankees 12-2 on Monday night, anything is possible. The Astros know they can't take anybody lightly- even against the team with the worst record in baseball. The Astros will try not to stub their toes or let off the gas when the White Sox come to H-Town. It's a 2005 World Series rematch, but the 2024 White Sox are definitely NOT the 2005 White Sox. So we'll see what happens this weekend. We'll have the White Sox for three, then the Red Sox for three. You can call it the "Sox Series."

I've been too lazy to do writeups for the Reds' series, but they are on a 4 game win streak after finishing off a sweep of the Cards. Fantastic pitching, timely hitting - and most importantly - consistency! Both India and Friedl (on his birthday) homered twice in the finale today. Stephenson added a dinger of his own. Lots of power over the series.

Game 1: 6-1 Cincinnati
Game 2: 4-1 Cincinnati
Game 3: 9-2 Cincinnati

The Milwaukee series prior didn't go quite as well as they lost 2 out of 3. Game 2 hurt. The game was scoreless until the Brewers blasted one into the stands with two outs in the 8th. One mistake pitch, and that was the game. Cincinnati couldn't respond in the top of the next inning. Nick Martinez's stellar pitching performance went to waste. As in 7 innings, 1 hit, 7 K's, and 0 BB's. The poor guy gets a no-decision for his effort. Fun fact: The Reds actually outhit Milwaukee 3-2 in that game.

Game 1: 8-3 Milwaukee
Game 2: 1-0 Milwaukee
Game 3: 4-3 Cincinnati

Having won 7 of their last 10, Cincy is only 1 game under .500 now at 60-61 and tied with St. Louis for 2nd in the division. If Cincy can keep this pace up, there's a possibility for a wildcard spot. I'll try not to get my hopes up, though. With that said, I've got to say Hunter Greene has developed into a legit Cy Young candidate. He's been pitching longer into games, cool under pressure, and still striking out guys left and right. Elly may get some MVP votes for his flashiness, not that he will come anywhere close to winning it.

Up and down week for my Yankees. We lost Jazz Chisholm to an arm injury, likely for the season, but we're back on top of the AL East.
Mostly thanks to the big guy, who became the fastest in MLB history (in games played or at-bats) to 300 home runs. Congrats AJ. This little stat from ESPN is just nuts:

It took Judge 671 games to reach 200 career home runs; he needed just 284 games to go from 200 to 300.

I like Jazz Chisholm, @Fezzik , and it seemed like he was doing better with the New York Yankees than he did mostly with the Miami Marlins. That is quite a blow to the Yanks. Well up next, the Yankees will hit up MoTown to meet Joey D's Detroit Tigers. Detroit got through sweeping the Seattle Mariners (thanks, Detroit!) and helping my Astros build a little cushion in the AL West standings. Hard-charging Baltimore will get ready for a four-game set hosting the Boston Red Sox. I think the Yankees will be fine- just handle your business and control what you can control.

The Chicago White Sox were officially eliminated from postseason contention. CHW is currently 30-94 on the season. Any hope of the White Sox making some kind of epic comeback to make the postseason have been dashed.

I'll let you know what happened between White Sox at Astros once my latest summary is complete.

The Houston Astros returned home after an 8-1 road trip at Texas, Boston, and Tampa Bay. The Astros will return for what I am calling the "Sox Series." Houston will host the Chicago White Sox for three, followed by hosting the Boston Red Sox for three. First is the White Sox, who come into this series with a record of 29-93 and the worst record in baseball. The White Sox wasted the New York Yankees in one game in their last series 12-2. Teams with nothing to lose can be dangerous, so Houston better not take the White Sox lightly. Let's play ball in Houston.

* CHW White Sox at HOU Astros (3 games)

[GAME 1] Alex Bregman will miss this series due to injury. The first score I saw was a 4-3 lead in the Bottom of the 6th by the Chicago White Sox. It almost seemed like the Astros were okay with giving the White Sox wins to save face in the White Sox's lost cause of a season. The White Sox added another run in the Top of the 8th on an RBI to go up 5-3. The winning streak is in jeopardy to the team with the worst record, as the Astros just seemed lifeless and couldn't convert any real opportunities. Jon Singleton banged a solo homer to left in the Bottom of the 9th to give the Astros some hope. And the win streak is over at eight. Only good news is that the Astros didn't lose ground as Seattle and Texas also lost tonight.

[GAME 2] This Saturday night got started with the White Sox scoring first. A deep RBI to left put the White Sox ahead 1-0 in the Top of the 1st. After getting a lucky call on a would-be strike, José Altuve bangs a two-run RBI in the Bottom of the 3rd to put Houston up 2-1. Then, Yordan Alvarez got an RBI that brought home Altuve the same inning. Fast forward to the End of the 7th, and it is a 5-1 lead for Houston. An error by CHW on a 1st-base pick off attempt led to an Astro stealing home to let Houston go up 6-1. Houston scored six unanswered runs after trailing 1-0 for the most of the first third of this game. The Rubber Game is tomorrow.

[GAME 3] The Chicago White Sox were officially eliminated from postseason contention heading into today's game. So now a team with nothing to lose can only play spoiler to nearly everybody they play from here on out. I did not see any of this game because I was napping. Final score: 2-0, Astros.

--- REVIEW ---
GM1: (5-4; Chicago White Sox)
GM2: (6-1; Houston)
GM3: (2-0; Houston)

--- UPCOMING ---
NEXT: vs. BOS Red Sox (3 games, starting Friday)

The 2024 Houston Astros are now 67-56 on the season, still leading the AL West (4 games ahead of Seattle).

The White Sox series has concluded. Now, the other Sox come on down to H-Town. Boston wants revenge after getting swept at Fenway park by the Astros. Will Boston get their revenge, or will Houston reassure their playoff form? Find out in my next summary!

Congratulations to all recent series winners and today's/tonight's winners! If your team split or lost a series recently, hope the next series goes better for you. How did things go with your team(s) lately?

The Reds be Redding. The only consistent thing about this team is their inconsistency. Hot off the sweep of the Cards, they proceeded to get swept by the other team from Missouri. And it was U-G-L-Y. Pitching was not good. Hitting was nonexistent. Cincinnati scored a total of 3 runs through the entire series. To put that in perspective, they put up 19 against St. Louis. No reason to do a game-by-game recap. It sucked.

Game 1: 7-1 Kansas City
Game 2: 13-1 Kansas City
Game 3: 8-1 Kansas City

Oh, and if that wasn't bad enough, Hunter Greene was put on the 15 day IL with forearm soreness. 😩 Ugh.

Well, Houston will host the Royals to close out August and start September in a four-game set. That is before we go back on the road to meet your Redlegs. Houston's next stretch of games: Red Sox (3), at Orioles (4), at Phillies (3), and Royals (4). But ouch... outscored 28-3 at Kansas City in the sweep.

One Sox arrived in Houston. Now, the other Sox come to Houston- the Boston Red Sox. They were chomping at the bit to try to pay back the Astros after sweeping them last time Houston and Boston met. Before another vicious road trip awaits Houston, the Astros will try to handle the Red Sox. Let's see how this one went...

* BOS Red Sox at HOU Astros (3 games)

[GAME 1] Since it's Monday at home, that means Houston wore their Space City City Connect uniforms. The first score I saw was a 2-0 advantage by Boston in the Top of the 3rd. When I tuned in, I saw the Astros hit a home run... and it turned out to be the walk-off homer by Yanier Diaz! Yanier Diaz been balling with homers, and this was his first-ever walk-off homer. So Astros WIN! This Monday night ended happy for Houston with a 5-4 victory. With this game, Houston is now 4-0 against the Boston Red Sox so far this season. I also heard the Astros made four errors in this game. Got to clean that up, boys...

[GAME 2] It was "Barbie Night" at Minute Maid Park. It meant I had to hear "Barbie Girl," which annoys the Hell out of me. Anyhow- on to the game. Ronel Blanco had a forgettable start to this game, giving up an RBI followed by a two-run homer in the Top of the 1st. It was a 3-0 advantage for Boston. Houston, though, responded right back with a sacrifice fly RBI followed by a two-run jack to tie the game at 3-3 in the Bottom of the 1st. Another sacrifice fly resulted in a go-ahead Astros score in the Bottom of the 2nd. So 4-3, Astros now. Boston scored on an RBI single in the Top of the 4th to tie the game at 4-4. Both teams like scoring in each other's ballpark. Boston went back ahead on an RBI single to go ahead 5-4. Pitcher Ronel Blanco was THANKFULLY removed from the game in the Top of the 4th. Yanier Diaz bombed one to left-center for a 5-5 tie in the Bottom of the 5th. Boston bombed one to left to go up 6-5 in the Top of the 8th. Ronel Blanco kind of pooped the bed in this game, making the Astros have to rally with no safe lead. And in the end, the Astros did not get the better of K. Jansen. Tomorrow afternoon is the Rubber Game as the Astros suffered their first loss against Boston this season. Red Sox win 6-5, getting the last laugh tonight.

[GAME 3] The Houston Astros got back Justin Verlander today. When I first saw this game, it was a 3-1 lead for Boston in the Bottom of the 8th. Once the Red Sox hit a solo homer to right in the Top of the 9th, I stopped watching; but since nothing else was on TV, I watched the conclusion of the game. Aargh. The Houston Astros' streak of 30+ straight series wins comes to an end, as they fell 4-1 against the Boston Red Sox today.

--- REVIEW ---
GM1: (5-4; Houston)
GM2: (6-5; Boston)
GM3: (4-1; Boston)

RESULT: BOS wins series 2-1

--- UPCOMING ---
NEXT: at BAL Orioles (4 games, starting Thursday)

The 2024 Houston Astros are now 68-58 on the season, still leading the AL West (4.5 games ahead of Seattle).

The Houston Astros will engage in a vicious stretch of 11 games. The Astros will go out on a 7-game road trip and return home for a four-game home stand. This road trip is going to be trouble. We got four at the Orioles followed by three at the Philadelphia Phillies. Then, we're back home to host the Kansas City Royals for four. First things first, though- handle the O's in Baltimore.

Congratulations to all recent series winners and today's/tonight's winners! If your team split or lost a series recently, hope the next series goes better for you. What's up with your team(s) lately?

Latest Posts

Back