Michael Schumacher badly hurt in ski accident

• Thread starter ZoidFile
  • 730 comments
The movie that won best picture oscar last year, one of the plot points is exactly that kind of court disclosure thing, spoiler alert

Ah ok. Yeah, it's a pretty common 'trick' in the press unfortunately. Sometimes it is used for good but mostly it's for snooping like this.

So by the sounds of things he is like what my grandmother was before she died. He will likely be like this for life and I bet his memory is so bad he can't remember what happened 5 minutes ago.

Is this the situation where Schumacher is really only here in body and his spirit has left him?

There where rumours a year or so again that he was conscious and aware but could only communicate by blinking.

Rumours are that Michael Schumacher is going to be transported to a hospital in France for a stem cell therapy.

Does that work in cases like this*, or is it a case of the family being prepared to try absolutely anything? You would, of course, we all would.

*At least the little we know about his condition

Does that work in cases like this*, or is it a case of the family being prepared to try absolutely anything? You would, of course, we all would.

Genuinely impossible to tell given how little we know about his condition.

It could well be (likely is) something of a Hail Mary, but they certainly wouldn't try anything too risky on such a high profile case, so hopefully it is quite unlikely to do any harm.

By sheer coincidence, just this morning a girl in my research group was told that she is going to be collaborating with someone in Molly Stevens' group at Imperial College (in London) on stem cell research... and they already collaborate with Prof. Menasche...

Depends on the price and the chance of success.

I doubt that money is an obstacle for the Schumacher family.

---

It would be great if he did make a Lazarean comeback from his condition but really, as long as he's safe and looked after that's the primary concern. Every time a newspaper posts rumourz about Michael Schumacher and wangry people demand to know the full story... what is wrong with you? It's ultimately none of our business.

I doubt that money is an obstacle for the Schumacher family.

I agree. Net worth is estimated at $800M. So I would guess that it's a drop in the bucket to spend even a million or two on an attempt. If the estate's net worth was valued at something closer to 10 or 20 million, I think they might get squeamish.

Net worth is estimated at $800M.

Not bad for someone who, unfortunately, hasn't done anything for 5+ years. Spending two million on private medical research is less than .25% of the estate's estimated worth.

what is wrong with you? It's ultimately none of our business.

Actually. He has been in the spotlights for quite some time, and without the fans, he would not be the star that he once was, so it is somewhat understandable that people who followed him throughout his career and went to the tracks to see him race want to know how their hero is doing.

Actually. He has been in the spotlights for quite some time, and without the fans, he would not be the star that he once was, so it is somewhat understandable that people who followed him throughout his career and went to the tracks to see him race want to know how their hero is doing.

Wanting to know is fine, I would also like to know the extent of his condition, it's the people who demand to know that irk me. Like it should be public knowledge irrespective of the family's wishes.

Wasn't he out of coma since 2014?
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-27868787

Or, perhaps, 'out of coma' and 'conscious' are not exactly the same...

They are the same. I suspect the "new" news was that he was conscious after being anaesthetised for the medical procedure, but to be honest I'll wait to hear something from the family or his agent before I take much notice. For now there's a lot of conjecture and it's a private matter.

Back