Mini Cooper Mix-Up Mini Sprint Cup

United States
Pennsylvania
wat3rm370n
Vintage Car Race Club
Mini Cooper Mix-Up Mini Sprint Cup

londonminimadness02s.jpg

A series of sprint races using a shuffle-like car assignment with 3 different stock Minis.
Including the Historic Mini Cooper! :embarrassed:)

Schedule:

Complete, Results pending...
Thursday 4 April @ 19:00 UTC
3pm US EDT / 12pm US PDT / 8pm BST / 9pm CEST

img.php

Event Duration: Approximately - 1 hour, 45 minutes (or less)

See 2nd post for sign-up info.

Cars:
mini.gif
Mini Cooper 1.3i '98
mini.gif
MINI ONE '02
mini.gif
MINI COOPER '02

You will need all cars.
These are all now currently available
in the OCD (Online Car Dealership)!

Car Regulations:
Tuning: Prohibited
Comfort Medium Tires
Allowed: oil change, engine rebuild, chassis restoration, wheel rims, & paint
"Tuning Prohibited Explained"

Race Regulations:
All aids off except ABS (driver's choice)
tire wear on (fast)
damage light
slipstream weak
grip real
penalty off
boost off
visible damage off
race end timer set to maximum (3 minutes)

Race Procedure:

(See below for info on Car Assignment List info.)

Qualifying
Mini Cooper 1.3i '98 (everyone)
2 timed laps @ Circuito de Madrid Mini (1.32 miles)

Race #1
Mini Cooper 1.3i '98 (everyone)
4 laps @ Circuito de Madrid Mini (1.32 miles)
Grid Start, Fastest First

Race #2
Car Assignment According to List
4 laps @ Tarnished Toaster Road (Toscana tarmac) (2.16 miles)
Grid Start, Reverse Grid Order

Race #3
4 laps @ Grand Valley East (1.86 miles)

Race #4
5 laps @ London (1.19 miles)

Race #5
4 laps @ Deep Forest Raceway (2.24 miles)

Car Assignment List:

Drivers will be assigned cars according to this list,
based upon their finishing positions in the previous race.
minicoopermixupca02.jpg

Custom Track:

Tarnished Toaster Road (Toscana tarmac) (2.16 miles)
tarnishedtoasterroadbywat3rm370n.jpg

Track shared on PSN: amoreenabooboo

Flat points based upon race participation.
(ie: 8 cars, 1st place gets 8pts, 2nd place gets 7pts, etc.)

Rules:
Drivers will follow the GTP OLR Rules
Please familiarize yourself with these rules prior to the event.
More info on rules & guidelines are specified below to clarify expected track etiquette.
  • You are expected to race clean & fair, and to behave like sporting gentlemen at all times.
  • Dirty driving is absolutely forbidden.
  • Please freely ask questions if you are unsure about any of the rules & guidelines.
  • What is "clean" or "dirty" driving? : "Driving in an aggressive manner where your intention is to collide or distract the opposition is considered "dirty" driving. Driving in a manner where you have respect for other drivers on the course and avoiding body contact wherever possible is considered "clean" driving." - MSTER232.
  • Post-race penalties may be issued for rule violations, in order to preserve clean racing and fairness - you have been advised.
  • If you cause a contact, you must make contact concessions. ie: no bump-passing! This is NOT a hit-to-pass derby. Bumping another car off their line to take their position is considered DIRTY.
  • Failure to make contact concessions will result in a post-race penalty concession. (ie: you will be placed below that racer in the results - or be demoted in finish position otherwise accordingly)
  • "But it wasn't on purpose." is not a valid excuse for failing to make contact conessions. If your mistake, or your car's movement, caused the collision, you must make the contact concession, or you will receive a post-race concession penalty.
  • "I didn't know it was my fault." is not a method to avoid penalty. The only exceptions to contact concession rule is if the car you hit was already spun out, improperly re-entering the track, or if you hit the ahead car because you were hit from behind. If you are not certain about the fault and choose to not make concession, and it is determined you were at fault, a post-race concession penalty will be imposed.
  • Caution must be exercised when re-entering the track after an off-road excursion caused by any reason.
  • Careless driving, recklessness, & aggressive risky maneuvers may result in post-race penalties, and will certainly result in your fellow racers being ill tempered. Everyone makes errors from time to time -- but repeated excessive aggressive or sloppy driving that is frequent or persistent is entirely avoidable by even the least skilled of drivers. It takes no special skill to slow down & get your car back under control. (If you are making contact often when you're near other cars on the track, or bumping often in the corners, this is a good indication that your driving may be considered reckless, & you'd best reign it in.)
  • Retaliation, "payback", & monkey-see-monkey-do rule flouting will not be tolerated.
  • The in-game penalty system is switched to off to prevent ghosting, with the understanding that GTPlanet racers do not need the in-game penalty system to follow posted track rules.
  • Shorting the track is strictly prohibited, must have 2 wheels on the tarmac (or rumble curbing) - this includes "going wide", off-roading in the grass or dirt, or using tarmac outside the parameters of the track, is forbidden.
  • Excessive horn beeping is forbidden. Horns should be used in the manner they are intended only - for civil communication purposes. Using the horn to distract another driver, or to annoy them to give up position is considered "dirty" and absolutely prohibited.
  • Cornering Rights must be respected. Consult the GTP OLR Rules for specifics on cornering rights. For example, you are expected to hold your line through a turn, and allow space for another car who had overlap before the turn in point. If you do not have overlap on an ahead car before the turn in point, you do not have the right to force into their line.
  • ONE blocking maneuver per straight is the maximum allowed. NO weaving to block on straights.
  • Prohibited Maneuvers include (but are not limited to): riding another car through a turn, using another car as a brake, shoving another car off track, dive bombing the inside of corners, nose clipping by diving abruptly in front of another car, rear clipping - with or without pit maneuver, cramming into a space that does not exist to force a pass, punting, inappropriate blocking, wild weaving, brake-checking, slamming, ramming, parking inside the track boundaries or near traffic during a race, driving backwards.
  • Turn #1 Incidents: Harsher post-race penalties are imposed for violations occurring on Turn #1 of any race. Patience should be the top priority at Turn #1 of any race. In some cases, special Turn #1 race procedures will be implemented. Always review the "Race Procedures" section of an event description. (It should be noted and accepted as fact that "Turn 1 Drama" is a particular pet peeve of the race director, and Turn #1 of every race will be scrutinized in replays.)
  • All rules & general track etiquette, is to be exercised during any Qualifying Period. "Informal Qualifying" means there will be no roll call, and no one should expect to have the track to themselves while others wait. However, drivers are expected to spread out. There should be no "pressuring" during qualifying as this is NOT racing. Leave a gap during your out-lap from the car ahead of you, so that you do not disrupt the ahead car's timed laps, and will not be accused of taking advantage of someone's slipstream draft. Courtesy should be exercised when you finish your timed laps, to allow others to finish theirs. Park well away from the racing line, preferably in a spot that is significantly apart from the racetrack boundaries.
  • Bump drafting is widely accepted on ovals, and is sometimes used on straights. However, drivers should exercise caution and thoughtful judgement before employing this in technique in regular race tracks. Bear in mind that not all of your fellow racers may be of the same mind when bump drafting is appropriate, and some might find it distracting or unwelcome. It should never be done near a brake point. When in doubt, do without!
  • Text chat during races is to be restrained so as not to distract drivers still racing.
  • In case of any incident involving a crash or rule violation, please review the replay before drawing conclusions. Note the time and location of the incident. Try dialogue with the other driver first with Private Messaging. You may report the incident via Private Messaging, with details, in a timely manner (ie: soon after the race), if warranted, so an appointed steward &/or the race director may review the incident.
  • Any overtly dirty driving should be reported immediately after the race. You should also always report any driving you see that appears to be deliberate rule violations or persistently disruptive, so the driver may be reminded & warned of the rules & post-race penalties, and for the preservation of enjoyment for all participants.
Race Director: watermelonpunch / wat3rm370n
Race Steward: YOU!
All racers are expected to be stewards - of good racing & rule adherence!
Save replays in case you are called upon!

Race will be hosted in the VCRC Lounge,
add PSN: VCRC

Note: This account is just the club lounge account. It will rarely be signed on.
Get the FR in a.s.a.p. to assure acceptance in advance of racing.
In order to check the league lounge, you must click on the coffee cup,
and wait for the room content list to present.
No yellow people icon will show, even when the room is full.

Also please note that all club communication should be done through GTPlanet,
and not directed toward the PSN acct, as nobody checks messages there often, if at all.

For more information about VCRC & MCRC events check out the club thread:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=209408
And join the VCRC club forum in the GTP social group to get involved in planning:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/group.php?groupid=350

Last edited:
Sign-Up Registry:
GTP Name / PSN Name / car colours (if you wish)

img.php

1. watermelonpunch / wat3rm370n / (all) Deep Pink Metallic & Green Mist Metallic
  2. AudiMan2011 / Street-King-07 / Gris Fulminator / Vert Ouranos / Grigio Telesto
  3. snowgt / GTP_SnowCrash / tba
  4. jackargent / jackargent / tba
  5. TyrrellRacing / GTP_Tyrrell / tba
  6. Litchi / GTP_Litchi / (all) Black
  7. cbcvabch / cbcvabch / tba
  8. jammm21 / GTP_Jammy / (all) Blue & white
  9. GranTurismo916 / atongo619 / tba
  10. Coreyb / Coreyb_26 / tba
  11. HusamOne / HusamOne / tba
  12. grotepi / G-I-E-P-I-E / tba
  13. knukken / knukken / tba
  14. .
  15. .

Last edited:
I will be the first to sign up melon. I will also have to check my inventory to see if I have the stock models.

@ doodle: :( :(

I have been looking at various sets of 3 to do this with, so I'll likely do something similar again if it turns out to be as fun as I think it should be. :)
Not something I came up with just when the Mini Coopers showed up in the OCD. ;) That was merely convenient that a set of 3 appropriate cars for it are in the OCD.
And thanks to snowgt & his amazing wealth of knowledge about the performance of all the cars. 👍 That's such useful help!! :)

Okay so don't be shy about track polling. I want to make sure the choices are the most popular, after all. :) (I'll set a poll closing time ... ahead of time enough for me to have a chance to get the laps set appropriately.)

So here's my votes:
2 tracks I'd like to see
Rome
London
2 tracks I'd prefer not
Suzuka Circuit East Course
Cape Ring Inside

I could probably guess Aceboy127's preferences. ha ha But no clue what he'd choose as not preferred.

Count me in.

I vote for...

1) London
2) Autumn Ring Mini

...because a) the only tracks where you stand a chance against the more powerful cars are the ones with most corners, and b) because ... Mini ... London ... Mini ... London. Plus London sort of fits reason a). And just think of the pictures you will be able to take!! :sly:

I just thought of a possible problem with the planned car assignment.

There's a pretty good chance that the mid-field from Race 1 will stay on the Mini One for 4 of the 5 races. Because once you get it assigned, there is a good chance you will end up in mid-field again, because the Cooper is considerably faster. The other groups will then flip between the 1.3i and the Cooper.

Maybe have a fourth type of Mini as a solution (might need enough sign-ups for this though)? You could actually restrict the fastest car, if it's too fast - you just need to set maximum power in the room. Power limiter works with "tuning prohibited" as well.

My track choices:

Rome - because Italian Job
Autumn Ring Mini - short and very simple

Tracks I don't want:

Suzuka East
Eiger Nordwand Short Track

yes please, melon - sign me up 👍

i'll say yes to london & Rome :)

& no to autumn ring mini & tsukuba :grumpy:

@ snowgt - I have thought of that... But I actually don't think that will be as much of an issue as you might think... ^^
Low power FF with odd gearing... :odd:
My prediction is that we're most likely to have just some bizarrely close tight racing. :scared: :D There very well could be someone who winds up mid field finishing a few times. But as that's often me in every other race event, I'm not going to feel sorry for ya. :sly: :lol: I don't think though that it will be guaranteed. And well, for the end add up of points... that might not be such a bad place to be anyway.
Of course like everything else... this is an experiment. :lol:
But we thought we thought of everything when setting up the Mixer events last year with choosing the cars (many cars)... and still the results were surprising, and not very predictable.

Hmm...wonder what tracks melon thinks I would vote for?
I know I would say no to Eiger.

Sign me up 👍

Litchi / GTP_Litchi / Black

I not checked but i just hope you're aware that we (Europe) change our clocks this weekend...

Sign me up 👍

Litchi / GTP_Litchi / Black

I not checked but i just hope you're aware that we (Europe) change our clocks this weekend...

👍 I'm on the ball this time!

BST = British Summer Time
CEST = Central European Summer Time (I think that's what it's called?)
8pm BST = GMT+1 = UTC+1
1900 UTC = 7pm = GMT standard time

And your track 👍 👍 & 👎 👎 Litchi?

Welcome cbcvabch! Will be good to see you on track again. 👍

And now I'm waiting on track polling from
cbcvabch & Litchi
And more complete indications from Aceboy127 & snowgt
SEE THE 2nd POST IN THREAD FOR INSTRUCTION ON CASTING VOTE:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=8324780#post8324780
👍 👍

And of course, tell your pals & rivals... It would be good to really get the most out of this experimentation if we get at least 9 drivers in the mix.
And of course, the more the merrier. ;) 👍

Autumn Ring Mini 👍
Tsukuba 👍
Rome 👎

Colours for my Minis are:

Cooper 1.3i - Gris Fulminator
One - Vert Ouranos
Cooper '02 - Grigio Telesto

I'm going to be testing the Minis in the VCRC lounge for a bit.

May also start testing the Renault Avantime & Pontiac Vibe for a MPV Wagons event I'm planning.

Feel free to join in if anyone's lookin' for something to do the next hour or so. 👍 👍 👍

I have an Avantime tuned that puts some cars to shame :lol:, I love that car :D.

Here we go again :)
Join in.

GTP Name / PSN Name / car colours (if you wish)
jammm21 / GTP_Jammy / Body: Blue, tires: white

Track Poll Tracking:
:tup:Deep Forest Raceway (2.24 miles)
:tup:Eiger Nordwand Short Track (1.51 miles)
:tdown:Rome / Reverse (2.16 miles)
:tdown:Suzuka Circuit East Course (1.39 miles)

London - 👍
Autumn Ring Mini - 👍
Grand Valley East - 👎
Rome - 👎

Really though I think that most of the tracks have too long straights for the power differences in these cars, so I voted against those with the longest straights. But we'll see.

By the way, wouldn't it be better in this case to use "fastest first" in all races? If you are in the top third in one race, then get the Mini Cooper 1.3i AND have to start in the back, that's like being punished twice.

tires: white

White tyres?

GenGirl07-424x300.jpg

Like this? :sly:

Anyway Mrs(?) Melon I demand to know more about the Avantime/Vibe event! :P

(Only to find the times don't suit :/)

Welcome Jammy21 :D:tup:

~~~~~~

First off... the point of RGO is not to punish drivers who do well in the previous race. :lol:
We use it to a) spend less time qualifying in sprint series and b) make sure nobody stays on pole the entire event.

Second thing... I think we should think RGO and the car assignments not so much as "punishing" someone for doing well in the previous race... but as giving a little boon to the drivers who finished poorly in the previous race. :sly:
(Glass half full? ^^ :lol::lol:)

But that's hardly relevant, because even if we were all equal drivers here... Well, it's like shuffle, and a lot of it will be luck. (As in any racing.)
And that's assuming all drivers are equal. Which, let's be honest, it's not the case. :odd:

I would be willing to bet, my lap time in the Mini Cooper '02 at London is comparable to Litchi's lap time in the '98 at London. :indiff: :scared:

So nobody panic. ;)
YES, there is a chance that an ordinarily fast driver may have some bad luck or make an error in the slower model, and *gasp* finish last. :lol: However, I won't be putting money on that bet. :lol: :sly:

Litchi & I have raced in shuffle together... and he passed me in a much older car - when I was in a newer car with probably better handling... on MY OWN CUSTOM TRACK that he had not seen before!!! :boggled: :grumpy: :lol: (I think it may have been Tarnished Toaster Road actually! :odd:)

My predictions are these:

1. Racing will be closer than it ordinarily is between the same drivers in other events (such as one-make races).
  2. By the end of the 5th race, every driver will have had at least a chance at 1st or 2nd place
  3. By the end of the 5th race, every driver will have had at least a concern for a last place finish at some point.
  4. Each driver will get the opportunity to compete for position with a driver they ordinarily race with but see only rarely or briefly in the races.
But again this is my prediction based upon our Vintage Mixer & Luxury Mixer last year. And this is a slightly different experiment.
But for that, the results were more like I had imagined than the fast guys had imagined, after we spent a couple of weeks testing the cars. The fast guys thought they would be terribly disadvantaged after winning a race... But then after some test racing... the one very fast guy then said, "No we must make the winner get a terrible car!" And it was the right decision. Because even in "the terrible car" (Brera Pig Window)... lots of racers were battling for 3rd or even 2nd (of say 9 cars) in the next race.

~~~~~~~~

@ paulmac2k9
Very funny you find is that a Fiat 500 with white tires?

I will reveal more about the Avantime & Vibe race soon. :sly:
For now... It will be a sprint cup with 5 races... but with drivers split into groups to use the models on track at the same time (like the nurb events).

I would be willing to bet, my lap time in the Mini Cooper '02 at London is comparable to Litchi's lap time in the '98 at London. :indiff: :scared:
lol

Litchi & I have raced in shuffle together... and he passed me in a much older car - when I was in a newer car with probably better handling... on MY OWN CUSTOM TRACK that he had not seen before!!! :boggled: :grumpy: :lol: (I think it may have been Tarnished Toaster Road actually! :odd:)
I'm quite bad on custom tracks. I need loooot of time to learn only one track :scared:

PS: and...you can call me Will ;)

Back