MORE Customization/ upgrade options.

@ Jonax101

There is one way this could be possible while maintaining existing high-speed physics.
From a programming standpoint, one of the easiest operation a processor can do is a "byte shift" or multiply/divide by two. That's possible because of the way binary works.

Since a vehicle's momentum increases exponentially as you go faster. I figure that implementing such a constantly changing variable would keep the car planted at low speeds while keeping it slippery at high speeds.

Due to the intrinsic limitations of the physics formulas utilized in simulating driving/racing - namely divergence, both as slip angle and velocity approach zero - physics engines typically do not utilize the same equations to recreate both the physics of normal, higher speeds and the physics of low speeds approaching zero mph.

It's not a matter of just changing a variable, it is an entirely different equation. The low speed physics are usually 'fudged' utilizing a less accurate formula that does not contain slip angles and velocities in the denominator, whereas, higher speeds - where divergence does not pose issues - are simulated using a more accurate facsimile or approximation of a Pajecka formula.

They are essentially two separate facets of the physics simulation that each need to be evolved individually to become more accurate reflections of what they attempt to simulate.

Last edited:
Due to the intrinsic limitations of the physics formulas utilized in simulating driving/racing - namely divergence, both as slip angle and velocity approach zero - physics engines typically do not utilize the same equations to recreate both the physics of normal, higher speeds and the physics of low speeds approaching zero mph.

It's not a matter of just changing a variable, it is an entirely different equation. The low speed physics are usually 'fudged' utilizing a less accurate formula that does not contain slip angles and velocities in the denominator, whereas, higher speeds - where divergence does not pose issues - are simulated using a more accurate facsimile or approximation of a Pajecka formula.

They are essentially two separate facets of the physics simulation that each need to be evolved individually to become more accurate reflections of what they attempt to simulate.

Yes, or they use a model that doesn't exhibit such numerical divergence, or a parameterisation that doesn't rely on absolute ground velocity somehow. I don't think the string or brush models have this limitation, but of course they're not satisfactory models in and of themselves.

Basically, it's a part of tyre simulation that needs to be "fixed", and will be in time, if it isn't in some cases already. Sims are still evolving, there is still so much they don't do correctly, or at all.

What about switches?

Instead of using a completely different formula, what about simply turning some variables "off" as you drive slower?

What about switches?

Instead of using a completely different formula, what about simply turning some variables "off" as you drive slower?

It's technically the same thing, and in reality if your model needs such an approach, it's not a good model (but that doesn't necessarily mean it's unsuitable). A good model would just work everywhere; really it points to the idea that slip ratio, whilst good for mathematical analysis and comparing tyres (which requires parameterisation), obviously isn't a good representation of what actually happens at the tyre, because it falls apart so spectacularly once the car has stopped moving.

What about a Rally Modifications?
Like they have racing mods, so why not add Rally mods?
It would be sick: only for certain cars, and after you do the mods you can use various liveries.

It's technically the same thing, and in reality if your model needs such an approach, it's not a good model (but that doesn't necessarily mean it's unsuitable). A good model would just work everywhere; really it points to the idea that slip ratio, whilst good for mathematical analysis and comparing tyres (which requires parameterisation), obviously isn't a good representation of what actually happens at the tyre, because it falls apart so spectacularly once the car has stopped moving.

I suggested switches because it would most likely be easier to implement than a completely different sub-formula.

Although, to be honest, a lot of things in GT could do with some much-needed simplifying.

Not only would I like to see drivetrain conversions, but I would also like to see the ability to change engine positions too. But not on all cars, of course.

I absolutely loved this car in GT1 & GT2:

carteira_ib_delsol_lm_edition_jpg.jpeg

Making what is normally a FF car into a powerful mid-engine, rear-wheel drive racing machine is awesome. Please PD, if you can make fictional cars like this for your games, please give players the option to customize cars into ones like this.

Last edited:
Making what is normally a FF car into a powerful mid-engine, rear-wheel drive racing machine is awesome. Please PD, if you can make fictional cars like this for your games, please give players the option to customize cars into ones like this.

I honestly hope that we stay away from fictional cars, maybe my take on gt5 isnt correct but what i get from it ( want from it ) is the simulation side of things, the chance to drive cars i wouldnt normaly get to drive, to compare them and tune them, too many fictional ( other than RM ) cars would simply ruin the whole illusion for me.

P.S. earlier in this thread ppl were talking about custom liveries, my take on it is PD have to do one of two things, either a: give us comprehensive groups of cars that can be raced together ( seeing as PP just doesnt work well enough ) or b: give us a livery editor.

There are far too many cars in GT5 that are out of context, such as the aussie v8 ford falcon or the 2 ferrari F1 cars, the list goes on and on, all of these cars are just out on thier own with no real racing partners and there is nothing worse than seeing a field of identical cars.

Last edited:
I'm probably one of the biggest Gran Turismo fans you'll ever meet, and I'll happily admit that this game needs a livery editor. With the editor I'd spend my time making every car I own unique and interesting, which is a very fun thing to do. By adding a livery editor PD basically gives us license to add in cars they couldn't license. Want a Lambo Superleggera? Simply tune it to the right level and add the stripe.

Imagine what people would do with the FGT? We'd see some fantastic looking recreations and awesome new designs with that platform. It would make online a hell of a lot more interesting and add a whole extra side game (think photo mode) to GT.

You even admit that you like Forza's then say you don't want it in Gran Turismo in the same sentence. Why the hell not? Because a couple 10 year olds will go out of their way to make their car hideous? Because people will see that they copied FM's idea? I seriously don't know what your problem is with a feature that's been around way before Forza coming to a game that desperately needs more customization options. Seriously dude, WTF?

Took the words right out of my mouth

Agreed. I've always wanted a De Sol LM equivilent to the Dodge Stratus/Chrysler Sebring

500079472_1_B.jpg

Why waste those looks (and the name Sebring) on a FF trash box?

We need more:
Body kits
Aero dynamic part options.
Sponsor ship stickers would be kinda cool but no liveries this isnt forza.
Driveterrain swaps
a little more tunning options
A little more upgrade parts and options.
Realistic upgrades (like making a rx7 with 700hp like in real life(mainly d1)

NO STANDARD CARS
More drifting options, events, and d1 cars
More tracks

Add what you want no pictures please...
👍

some people are asking too much of gt6 in the little time they want the game released, its either one or the other

some people are asking too much of gt6 in the little time they want the game released, its either one or the other

Personally, I'm not asking much from GT6.

Just the ability to paint your car a different color (even if it's only the car's factory colors), more specialized vehicle mods, greater involvement from existing mods and free-range adjustments.

One example of more specialized mods would involve engine mods that focus on a particular area of the powerband. This would replace the linear-progressing parts that only increase high RPM power.

Greater involvement from existing mods, for example, would make Bore & Stroke actually available on more than a few car models you'll almost never use. Another example could be the ECU chip, letting you customize your powerband to a certain extent.

Free-range adjustments would, for example, replace the pre-calculated gear ratios of the FC transmission with a 1-10 ratio slider for each gear. Simplicity could be somewhat achieved with a few preset slider configurations, like in Tourist Trophy and the riding style templates.

The only thing I would outright replace are the purchasable transmissions. The close-ratio preset gears, more often than not, are only suitable for the stock engine because of their low top speed. I would replace them with a full-custom final gear, similar to Tourist Trophy with the stock bikes. Besides that, I would enjoy seeing different FC Transmission choices. Something like a 5-gear variant, a 6-gear variant and maybe even a 7-gear variant.

One thing GT6 should NOT do as far as customizations goes is support "stance" at all. Stretched tires, airbag suspension, and the rest of it have no place in a racing game.

Agree with the above. We need more customization options and livery editor though I doubt any home made liveries would be viewable online. Also, like the guy a few posts above said, we need the option create homologated models. For example, getting a stock McLaren MP4-12C and able to spec it to GT3 standard in one click. Too few cars in GT5 make use of "Racing Modifications".

I agree with the majority. I really want good sound fx. I know it would be extremely long winded to record real sound for ever car but at least concentrate on a few. Or rather than giving me horns as a gift..(wtf).....? Give real car sound gift tickets! At least you would have to work for it. I think branding on modifications coupled with performance difference ie aem induction will give say 10% increase in hp over hks equivalent. I also think something like eBay would be good aswell for the online community. It could be call something like "GTEBay"........ It would be for (obviously) selling used parts at auction! Really good for the guy with a small bank balance. Tires should run out of tread for real, should be able to monitor the tread level and once below the limit you could sell them on "GTEBay" as part worn to the drifters for example. Also a tire holding garage so you can store and stock as many tires as you can afford/need. Also with branding which effects tread pattern and different degrading. Wheels, like in gt2 you could buy a set and they could go on all your cars without spending more money. How about like this, you could by a set for your Honda but you could put them on BMW and the Honda would go back to the original set?? Also pricing could be more realistic I mean come on 15,000cr for fully adjustable suspension on a standard car. I'd pay £6/800 for that in reality. Just my 2pence

Lox83
I agree with the majority. I really want good sound fx. I know it would be extremely long winded to record real sound for ever car but at least concentrate on a few. Or rather than giving me horns as a gift..(wtf).....? Give real car sound gift tickets! At least you would have to work for it. I think branding on modifications coupled with performance difference ie aem induction will give say 10% increase in hp over hks equivalent. I also think something like eBay would be good aswell for the online community. It could be call something like "GTEBay"........ It would be for (obviously) selling used parts at auction! Really good for the guy with a small bank balance. Tires should run out of tread for real, should be able to monitor the tread level and once below the limit you could sell them on "GTEBay" as part worn to the drifters for example. Also a tire holding garage so you can store and stock as many tires as you can afford/need. Also with branding which effects tread pattern and different degrading. Wheels, like in gt2 you could buy a set and they could go on all your cars without spending more money. How about like this, you could by a set for your Honda but you could put them on BMW and the Honda would go back to the original set?? Also pricing could be more realistic I mean come on 15,000cr for fully adjustable suspension on a standard car. I'd pay £6/800 for that in reality. Just my 2pence

I dont know this Idea sounds to complicated.

Ok ok I no it sounds complicated as do all the other ideas we have, there just ideas that can be thought about and simplified. We are all craving the real driving simulator experience. I think it would be fun having "GTEBay" type format. Any opinions on that and the other ideas?

Hey Kaz and PD, it is time for you to put in a livery editor. It has become mandatory for a racing game to be a racing game and for sales.

i'll defiantly buy GT6 if they had a livery editor. in tuning we should have aftermarket names for exhaust,intakes,etc.Also we should be able to add more power into cars ( A supra can hit 1000 hp).
.WE NEED MORE BODY KITS (aftermarket names)
. we need more options in rims
. you should be able to make the ride height as low or high it can go
.The Ability to change interior color
.5,000 + layers in vinyls
.Camber your car even more!
.It would also be nice if you can add in sporty things to your car (say if you have a nice hatchback or coupe.Wouldn't it be nice it you can add a roof rack or a bike rack ?) A game has never had the ability to add a roof rack.This game would be unique if you can add it.
.The Ability to put vinyls on ur lights,windows,interior.

Alright buds, I am glad to see that most of us here are excited about GT6 and what features should have place in the new GT title.
Personally, I think that full body/engine (and other performance stuff) tuning, a vinyl/livery editor, and free roam mode are a must in GT6.

So as I read a bunch of different ideas posted into different topics I decided to make a list (which is going to be updated) of the things we want to see in GT6. Not sure if this has been done already, but I'm just posting this with no other intention but to be helpful :)

(ATM I'm writing on my iPod so formatting will be redone later on my pc.)

TUNING / EXTERIOR:
• Full aftermarket body-wise tuning, such as bumpers, side skirts, spoilers, hoods, roof scoops, wide body kits, head lights and tail lights available.
• More rims, sorted by brand (ex: BBS / ENKEI / VOLK) and different rim sizes.
• Possibility to "sculpt" parts (like in NFS: Carbon)
• Neon, on different parts (intercooler, hood, chassis, etc..)
• Vinyl / livery editor (great to put our creativity to test)
• Window tint (?)
• Removing body parts (such as bumpers/default spoilers)

PERFORMANCE:
• Ability to choose from different engines for the same car (like irl)
• Choosing between various brakes
• Not so general tyre choice, more tyre options like brand, dimension, width, etc
• Swapping drivetrains
• Various turbo options (single, dual, quad) for different amount of credits
• Branded exhausts
• Re-implement N2O
• Choosing between single parts instead of doing engine tuning by stages

PHYSICS :
• Make low speed driving possible, please ._.
• More realistic damage physics (sort of soft body, but not so soft)
• More realistic tyre wear
• Temperature readings
• If mechanical damage is on, engine blowing, drivetrain wrecking and gear loss possibility
• Off road (dirt and snow) driving more realistic

GENERAL :
• Free roam, driving on different locations from mountain ranges to city streets
• Better racing BGM
• Re implement GT4 Gran Turismo mode menu
• More tracks, like Silverstone, Estoril, Brands Hatch, etc..
• Diversify car make and models

This is very, very incomplete atm, so bare with this tread as long as new ideas come out.

I tried to be the most brief I could be,
cheers
👍

.WE NEED MORE BODY KITS (aftermarket names)
.The Ability to change interior color
.Camber your car even more!
.It would also be nice if you can add in sporty things to your car (say if you have a nice hatchback or coupe.Wouldn't it be nice it you can add a roof rack or a bike rack ?) A game has never had the ability to add a roof rack.This game would be unique if you can add it.

All completely pointless for a racing game. :dopey:

Body kits are the exact opposite of useless for racing. Everything else though is, not that it means they don't belong in the game.

Google images "body kit", and tell me how many are made for racing. 99% of them are for ricers, with only a few actually providing an aerodynamic advantage.

[South Park] Forza did it! Forza did it! [/South Park]

In seriousness, while it's not available on all cars, they did make roofrack options for the '63 Beetle and Karmann Ghia.

I applaud all customization options, even the ones that don't necessarily help while racing. Custom paint shop and better wheel options (stock wheel options, ability to paint stock wheels, etc.) are at the top of my list.

Back