Need for speed gets "serious".....confirmed!

• Thread starter Hereward
  • 2,170 comments
It just seemed odd, you could hear the thing redlineing all the way round in prety much everygear but he is actualy accelerating? the other cars in the vid were perfect. Anyway don't know if it's up but heres a preview.

That redline issue is probably just a glitch that will be fixed for the final game. The ranking system sounds awesome. The only problem I have is that if someone joins a lobby and sees someone with a super clean record then they take advantage of that, like making really aggressive blocking maneuvers because they know the clean racer wont take them out.

That redline issue is probably just a glitch that will be fixed for the final game. The ranking system sounds awesome. The only problem I have is that if someone joins a lobby and sees someone with a super clean record then they take advantage of that, like making really aggressive blocking maneuvers because they know the clean racer wont take them out.

Way i understood it from the post above yours is that according to the matchmaking system, a dirty and clean driver should never end up in the same lobby in the first place.

Well I thought the Mazda MX-5 video was horrid. As soon as you hit the accelerator you'd need to change gear....seems completely unrealistic, not even fun.

Well I thought the Mazda MX-5 video was horrid. As soon as you hit the accelerator you'd need to change gear....seems completely unrealistic, not even fun.

That was pretty much an obvious glitch really or something just wrong because I can't understand why even someone that bad would drop off the pack so much. Oh and the bit about the nurburgring made me laugh in that youtube video.

That was pretty much an obvious glitch really or something just wrong because I can't understand why even someone that bad would drop off the pack so much. Oh and the bit about the nurburgring made me laugh in that youtube video.

I think it has more to do with the upgrade and tuning that was done to the MX-5 (he did say that the car had a Stage 1 mod do to the engine, whatever Stage 1 is) and someone might've fiddled with the gears and set them too close (and obviously it's on auto-shift as well). I don't think it's a glitch but more in line with human error.

Way i understood it from the post above yours is that according to the matchmaking system, a dirty and clean driver should never end up in the same lobby in the first place.

That's what I got too - And that would be friggin' Awesome!..

But do you guys mean that Shift will have that horrible matchmaking from GT5P (although with some "sorting" according to driver profile) and not "user made" lobbies, open or private? If that's the case, it's a major letdown. I like to host my own lobbies, or enter lobbies opened by friends I trust.

And, btw, is there any piece of news regarding kicking/banning options for dirty drivers? Lobby customization? Anything about how online works?

But do you guys mean that Shift will have that horrible matchmaking from GT5P (although with some "sorting" according to driver profile) and not "user made" lobbies, open or private? If that's the case, it's a major letdown. I like to host my own lobbies, or enter lobbies opened by friends I trust.

And, btw, is there any piece of news regarding kicking/banning options for dirty drivers? Lobby customization? Anything about how online works?
No the profile matchmaking is optional, not mandatory for you to use if you do not want to ;)

Second part of your question; have not read anything about it yet.

WOW, did anyone else see that there is a 75 lap race of Road America?, Thats for hardcore enthusiasts only.

Yep, it's an ultimate invitational event for precision drivers. ;)
I doubt whether I'd have the time to do that event in one go. :lol:

It was posted that you could "select" to restrict lobbys to clean or dirty drivers, I think?

Edit.
Found it, kind of, here's alexes quote.

As far as i know, you earn "Precision-Points" and "Aggression-Points". And i once read that you will be judged by these points and as an online-option a host can lock his lobby for aggressive drivers. If they really do it like this, it would be a fantastic option i think.

WOW, did anyone else see that there is a 75 lap race of Road America?, Thats for hardcore enthusiasts only.

SS11 Special Stage Endurance, 2 Hours of Rome and 300km of Grand Valley says hello :D

It is roughly 490km of race to do, so no big deal there really ;)

Yeah, you're right, forgot about that ... I guess we will have to wait for GT5 to see if finally we get a decent PS3 simulation of longer races :indiff:

In general, I don't really have a problem with the fact that NFS:Shift does not have pit stops or changing grip levels and handling characteristic to simulate tire wear or fuel load. But I have to agree, if they're going to have a race of nearly 500-km, it seems a bit silly...

yeah, we'll have to stock up with beer & pretzels for that one! :)

Good idea mate! :lol:👍

In general, I don't really have a problem with the fact that NFS:Shift does not have pit stops or changing grip levels and handling characteristic to simulate tire wear or fuel load. But I have to agree, if they're going to have a race of nearly 500-km, it seems a bit silly...

well, that's gonna be an ultimate hotlapping event! :D (500km hotlapping... wow... :P )

well, that's gonna be an ultimate hotlapping event! :D (500km hotlapping... wow... :P )
:ouch: for the people whom will be doing this with a controler. :scared:

I don't want to feel their thumbs after a 500km race, non stop.

If only.....

bmw-m1-28-3-08.jpg

hmmmm the guy says the bmw is mid engined:idea:
Maybe it is, I don't know. A car can be mid engined and have the engine in front of the driver. By definition a mid engined car is a car where the engine site between the front and rear axels, doesn't matter if it's forward or to the rear of the driver. Ofcourse the industry only really classes a car where the engine is inbetween the axels and behind the driver as mid engined but by definition the Z4 could be a mid engined car. I don't know if it is or not though.

Maybe it is, I don't know. A car can be mid engined and have the engine in front of the driver. By definition a mid engined car is a car where the engine site between the front and rear axels, doesn't matter if it's forward or to the rear of the driver. Ofcourse the industry only really classes a car where the engine is inbetween the axels and behind the driver as mid engined but by definition the Z4 could be a mid engined car. I don't know if it is or not though.

Thats only partly true, really. Mid engined has always meant between the driver and the rear axle. I'm pretty sure nearly all of the engine in a Camaro sits behind the front axle line but no-one would ever call that "Mid Engined".

This "front-mid" stuff is just a marketing-speak bastardisation of a legitimate chassis terminology, what they mean to say is "mounted well back in the chassis, behind the front axle line. I think the EA man just stuffed up.

i see what you are saying, however in regards to the bmw i dont think it is because ive never heard it to be and i dont think bmw has ever said it is either....

Did you read my post? Marketing-speak.

It may be marketing speak, but its not like its misleading or technically inaccurate like most marketing speak, its just not the way most people traditionally describe mid engine. Like saying on a car is "alloy", like "alloy" rims... show me a metal part on a car that is NOT an alloy in the technical sense, I think you'll struggle to find any pure metals on a car. Where as there's nothing wrong with saying "front-mid" in my mind. There's a few cars that fall under that category though.

I think Sega GT 2002 listed the Viper GTSR concept as "mid" engined.

Back