Nissan engines

• Thread starter Jay
  • 101 comments

Jay

  
Premium
Australia
Australia
VIPERGTS01
Nissan makes some great engines, so i would like to start a thread about nissan engines

if you have any experiences nissan engine please share, or if you just like them and want to talk about them please do, or even if you dont like them please share your reasons.

I personally have owned two great nissan cars powered by great engines.

180sx (RPS13) with the;
SR20DET, i found the car quite fast with this engine, IMO this is one of the greatest 4 cylinder engines ever produced, it has some great potential. some common problems with them is they need to be oil changed quite regulary because they have problems with the oil getting gluggy and blocking oil passages. other problems are some have oil leaking problems (slight) at the front of the motor (comming from the front mail seal).

Skyline GTS25T (ECR33);
RB25DET, this engine is also very fast and has even more potential than the SR20, exept it is heavier, it has better off boost torque over the RB20 due to the larger displacment and higher compression. common problems with the RB25 is the hydraulic lifters get noisey after years of wear

also with both of these engines mainly use ceramic wheel compressor blades for the turbos, which is prone to break

feel free to add pics and comments

Attachments

• rb20det.jpeg
    rb20det.jpeg
    67.6 KB · Views: 420
The best Sr20s are the red top from the GTi-R with the quad thottle bodies, and the S15 with a VVT-i and a ball bearing T28 turbo, u can tell if the sr20 has VVT-i by the slant in the back of the cover, also i believe all blacktops were VVT-i

i didnt think nissan actually called it VVT-i, isnt that a toyota thing?, but yeah i know what your talking about my RB25 has veriable valve timing

I don't think the S13 Blacktop SR came with VVTi as it's essentially the same as the Redtop only newer. I think it was only the s14 and s15 SR's that came with it.

-Mark

i think early black tops didnt have it, but later S14 and S15's did. i dont think any red tops came with VVT

The SR20 is an amazing engine that is why probably almost every 240 has a SR20 swap.. its not that uncommon. Its because the SR20 has amazing capability, the RB26DETT or any skyline motor for that fact is amazing. I love the RB26DETT...

I would rather have the 2.6 TT engine then the 2.5 single turbo RB25DET.. I believe that TT has less turbo lag and the RB26DETT is more capable of more power than the RB25DET. I would make it an RB30DETT.. :lol: that is more displacement.

the only problem with making a RB30DETT is that the bottom end (block) is taller, which makes the engine sit higher

One damn good nissan engine I dont hear much about (and I believe its underrated) is the FJ20DET (2.0L), it has very strong bottom end, stronger than the SR20DET. It does show its age abit though, it still uses a distributor that nissan for some reason placed under the inlet manifold and it has no rev limiter, which means under boost and wheel spin its not hard to take it to 8500rpm while valve bouncing. Other flaws was the timing chain got rattly after only a short period of time.

The engine was used in a few nissan models like the DR30 skyline and S12 silvia, Nismo also had a hand in this engine producing a stoked FJ24 version for group B rally in the S11 silvia. These FJ24(2.0l to 2.4l) stroker kits were available to the public for a short period of time

the engine was (FJ20)originally rated at 145Hp, but it has much potental. The group B rally FJ24 version was rated at 300hp

here is a some what modified version of the FJ20DET

Attachments

• fj20det2.jpeg
    fj20det2.jpeg
    60.6 KB · Views: 190
this is a engine not many know about, its a RB26DE , it came out on the R32 Autech version (skyline)

note the lack of any turbos on a RB26

Attachments

• rb26de2.jpeg
    rb26de2.jpeg
    13.3 KB · Views: 178
Originally posted by skylineGTR_guy
the RB26DETT is not a sequential system ;)

Oh, well that's a relief. Wait a minute, nevermind, the Supra is the one that has sequential turbos.

Still, a single turbo conversion is way better, IMO.

Originally posted by VIPERGTSR01
this is a engine not many know about, its a RB26DE , it came out on the R32 Autech version (skyline)

note the lack of any turbos on a RB26

Wow, that is very wierd. It seems so.....empty

In the latest issue of SCC, some guy put one of those in a Datsun 510:odd:

Originally posted by NISMOskyline
Oh, well that's a relief. Wait a minute, nevermind, the Supra is the one that has sequential turbos.

Still, a single turbo conversion is way better, IMO.

I like the twins, a nice GT-SS TT kit will give you a nice balance of power and acceleration.

the RB26DE is quite rare, but a local parts importer place has one for sale for quite awhile, nobody wants it.

the R32 Autech (RB26DE) version also has attesa 4wd, so its like a non turbo GTR

Originally posted by lethalAE86typeR
why is there a Rp on rps13 on sileighties.and a 180 just a s13? am i confused of the same thing ?:confused: or am i too much in initial-D?

Yes, you are way too into Initial D. And the RPS13 is similar to the 240SX Fastback, whereas the S13 is similar to the 240SX Coupe. They are quite different, I might add.

Originally posted by lethalAE86typeR
why is there a Rp on rps13 on sileighties.and a 180 just a s13? am i confused of the same thing ?:confused: or am i too much in initial-D?

Quick Rundown:
S13 by itself=Coupe body with CA18
RS13=Hathback body with CA18
PS13=Coupe body with SR20
RPS13=Hatchback body with SR20
KPS13=Coupe w/HICAS and SR20
KRPS13=Hatchback w/HICAS and SR20
HS13=Coupe with KA24E
RHS13=Hatchback with KA24E
MS13=Coupe with KA24DE
RMS13=Hatchback with KA24DE
KRMS13=Hatchback w/HICAS and KA24DE

-Mark

Originally posted by Ethix101
Quick Rundown:
HS13=Coupe with KA24E
MS13=Coupe with KA24DE

-Mark

Showoff :irked:

Originally posted by Ethix101
Quick Rundown:
HS13=Coupe with KA24E
MS13=Coupe with KA24DE

-Mark

👍 those are the ones

also
'94-'98 S14 Silvia SR20DET
'94-'98 CS14 Silvia w/ SuperHicas

and the same sort of system with the skyline and other nissans, but with different letters (meaning different things eg engine type etc)

Originally posted by The Porko
The best Sr20s are the red top from the GTi-R with the quad thottle bodies, and the S15 with a VVT-i and a ball bearing T28 turbo, u can tell if the sr20 has VVT-i by the slant in the back of the cover, also i believe all blacktops were VVT-i

The only SR20 with Variable valve is the SR20VE from the Primera(JDM G20). Also the SR16VE(Sunny VZ-R, Pulsar VZ-R), SR16VE-N1(Pulsar VZ-R N1) and the RB26. Not any of the SR20DETs

No all blacktops have Variable Valve timming, thats why they slant at the back to fit it, there not completely flat like the redtops, thats how u can tell. Viper can back me up as well.

EDIT: R33 GTS/T (not sure if it was the series 1 or just 2) and the R34 GT/T but the R34 had a more advanced system (NEO)

Note: The BNR32 RB26DETT engine did NOT have VVT. That feature wasn't added until 1996 during the second year of production of the R33 GTR.

Also another corrected not a single RB motor came with ceramic compressor wheels or shafts. They came with ceramic tubine wheels, steel shafts and steel wheels during the R32 production. In the R33 production the RB25DET motor in the series II went to a polymer or plastic compressor wheel. Thats right PLASTIC ! It still had a steel T25 shaft as always. The R33 also BONDED the ceramic turbine wheel onto the steel shafts. Why I have no idea.

Originally posted by The Porko
No all blacktops have Variable Valve timming, thats why they slant at the back to fit it, there not completely flat like the redtops, thats how u can tell. Viper can back me up as well.

The Blacktop SR20DET that came in the 1995ish-1998 180sx didn't have VVT. The engine was essentially the same as the Redtop in earlier S13's, except it was newer and it had a black valve cover.

-Mark

the early black tops or red top SR's didnt have VVT, but all the rest did

Back