Nissan engines

• Thread starter Jay
  • 101 comments
VVL: this is like VTEC, it has 2 different cam profiles, and at a specified RPM it changes. this is a very brilliant system. Nissan has pulled it off MUCH better than Honda. the SR20VE in the P11 Primera has 187hp with VVL. and the SR20VE in the P12 Primera has 205hp.

Sure the Nissan VVL is quite good with its independant intake and exhaust side 2 stage cam profile switching but Honda has some great systems themselves, I wouldn't exactly class Nissans sytem better overall just because it can change intake and exhaust side profiles independantly. Honda has some other advantages, some Honda VTEC has a 3 stage cam profile, then I-VTEC (I believe from memory) has a 2 stage cam profile with the addition of cam phasing to adjust cam timing even more precise through the rev range and load. Both systems (Honda and Nissan) have something over each other.

whered you hear that? thats not right. the RB30 block is just a different bore and stroke.

I measured it myself, find yourself a RB30 and a smaller RB and do youre own measuring if you wish.

I'm also pretty sure it is meantioned in the RB30DET DIY guide aswell.

and yes it is a different bore and stroke you're right, why do you think all the stroker kits only ever take the usual RB26's to 2.8 you wont see a 3.0 stroker kit for a RB26 unless it uses the RB30 block as it is has a 38mm taller deck to allow the extra stroke.

when someone makes an RB30DETT, theyre just using an 26 head on an RB30E block.

Yeah because they cant make a 3.0L from a RB20/25/26 block so they must use the taller RB30 block.

*EDIT*

I found a DIY guide on my HDD, here is a screeny of one part where they meantion it

rb30deckheightat2.jpg

It doesn't say the exact height difference but from memory when I measured it was 38mm. If you check a RB20/25/26 that extra space between the water pump and head is not there.

I myself am pretty into my Ls and As. Had my L26 on open headers a few times before - easily one of the best sounds I've ever heard, getting the lil' muffler swapped for straight pipe in a couple of days! Should sound great!
-No wait, S20! Type KPGC10 into Google Video and you'll know what I mean, there's a Best Motoring video there and the sound is incredible, shivers down your spine as he rounds the first corner at Fuji.
The plan for me one day is the RB26DETT swap (money permitting, I only work some weekends so yeah) (RB26 is a mere 3cc larger than the L26) and then the numberplate RB260C, perfect. But VG30DETT would be more realistic pricewise.
RB20D (sounds like S20!)
Oh and FJ24 - Best 4 cyl ever.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8623323917216488369

Yeah sorry the link is dead, they must've taken it off Google Video which really sucks, could try YouTube. Luckily I have it saved to my computer, so if anyone wants to make the trip to little old New Zealand it's here. It's almost worth it, almost.

Here is the video of the Hakasuka GTR (KPGC10) with the awesome sounding S20.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6021196065589597987&q=GTR

I love the KPGC10 but in road car versions I would rather a white KPGC110, either way doesn't matter though.

Yeah I forgot about that one, it's the same video but I think it's been uploaded twice. You can tell it's not the origianl because they spelt Hakosuka wrong. :sly:

I'm a fan of all RB engines and a few other Nissan (or 'Neesaan' as the American's pronounce it) ones too. The RB20DET in my GTS-4 is awesome (i happen to like the turbo lag thank you very much :P) and the RB25DE in my brothers now crashed R32 GTS-25 also has an awesome exhaust note.

What abou the SR20VE? It says NEO VVL on the valve cover.

EDIT: Wikipedia calls the Nissan version of variable valve timing NEO VVL too.

The S14 blacktop VVT (VCT) is just a simple intake cam phasing, With NEO Nissan refreshed their whole engine range and included variable lift, cam profile (that is independant between both cams) but dropped the intake cam phasing on SR20.

Does the SR20DET have variable valve timing?

As Revheadnz said on later black top SR20DET's have cam phasing VVT, but redtops and the earlier blacktop SR20DET's do not. Easiest way to tell which has and which hasn't by the lump (or lack of one) at the front of the cam cover on the intake side (where the cam pulley would be).

Back